• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

Tonidayo

In all truths, all this buzz for barely-noticeable changes..the hype was way too immense..it isn't a game-changing upgrade. The PS4 slim is the best choice today.

leeh

I'm not saying they are inferior. Why do you talk to me about what they CAN see first and then about what they LIKE to look at? Hmmm...
Well saying they need to go to the doctors because they don't personally notice a difference between 30/60 is implying that.

I'm just saying don't hate on someone because they don't really see the benefits on 60fps and would prefer a game to be 30fps with a better image. That's their preference/opinion.

Even the people who're saying they don't see that much of a difference are fine in saying that, it's what they see and feel. The Pro isn't for everyone and isn't intended to be that way.

Holy shit those Skyrim shots look insane!

I'll confess i'm in the Xbox camp, but will be looking on with green eyes when seeing this in motion. Hopefully we'll get a decent patch for Scorpio too
Me too. These screens look incredible and makes me wish I had the time to justify the purchase of one.

cooldawn

was the 'barely noticeable' crowd expecting a generational leap?
At the same time some people would have you think it's like a whole new generation, yet it's not as revelatory as people make it out to be.

Comments like 'the difference is huge'...no it's not.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
In all truths, all this buzz for barely-noticeable changes..the hype was way too immense..it isn't a game-changing upgrade. The PS4 slim is the best choice today.

Your post makes no sense.

For the people who were thinking realistically, this was exactly what they wanted and expected.

For those people who were expecting more, those expectations were unrealistic to start with.

DieH@rd

Banned

4K TV owners until now had to endure taking 1080p games and simply upscaling them [using the "dumb" resize way] to 4K. This creates muddy image. Now they can have much more high res image on many games [including all future ones] for a very affordable price, and 1080p TV owners also get other benefits.

This is a worthwhile attempt by Sony IMO. Those who want Pro can get it now easily, and millions of people will continue buying the Slim. That's fine also since we really rarely get games that are very technically compromised. [and all games showcased at Sony's E3 2016 conference looked amazing and were running on base PS4].

III-V

At the same time some people would have you think it's like a whole new generation, yet it's not as revelatory as people make it out to be.

For a $100 dollar upgrade, I think the difference is pretty dramatic.

Inuhanyou

If you've been playing on console, and tell a PC player that their maxed out 60fps, High resolution and higher graphical settings enabled versions of games were barely noticeable, or that the difference was not huge, they would look at you sideways.

Considering the Pro was always a PC like GPU upgrade in that sense, its a worth while comparison to make. While the base game stays the same, the actual refinement in the visuals is a huge step above.

You have to be able to appreciate subtler details. Your getting in effect, remastered versions of games on this hardware without having to pay for a new version of the game.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Whatever makes you feel better about your purchases. The pro is the best choice for my TV and gaming habits.

To be fair both sides were expecting that. You still can read the "waiting for the 60 fps Bloodborne patch" when that just can't happen with the PRO.
Not that Ive ever asked for it personally. I dont think 60fps bloodborne is considered a generational leap. Just a nice bump in frames, although unrealistic. A lot more has to happen for me to consider it what i would expect from PS5.

Codiox

Thank You. I thought I'm the only one thinking this.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Not even close.

100 bucks more than the slim and you get an absolutely game changing boost in IQ even on a 1080p display. f you have a 4K HDR display the leap is even more large. Once you see games running downsampled or at high red, you can't go back.

They stop looking like games, and start looking like Pixar films.

Ferr986

was the 'barely noticeable' crowd expecting a generational leap?

To be fair both sides were expecting that. You still can read the "waiting for the 60 fps Bloodborne patch" when that just can't happen with the PRO.

Looking at these pics is what I expected, better IQ and I guess the framerate will be more stable. If it's worth the money or not depends on the expectations of each person.

Frodo

There is an obvious difference on the foliage at least, having a quick glance on those pictures, but I'm not convinced that difference is enough to justify the price difference when buying a new console, even less to make me buy a Pro when I already have a PS4.

I'm still not sure how much sense those kind of increments make when considering a closed-platform, like consoles have been so far. I guess it is up to the market to decide the future of that proposition, though.

The comment about how it performs in movement is a good one though. Seems they look almost comparable in stills but how big of a difference does real 4K make in movement?

Depending on how fast the camera is moving, your TV will lose motion resolution anyway.

For instance, I think the 2016 OLEDs have only 600 lines of motion resolution. The less the image moves, the more your TV will be able to keep up and the better checkerboard rendering works.

Not saying native 4K is irrelevant for fast motion, by the way, just saying relatively still images will always look better on most modern TVs.

Mother of god. I'm usually not one to fuss about image quality, but it's night and day.

Which is kind of bad for me as I didn't intend to get a Pro. On the other hand, the intersect between games that interest me, games that have Pro enhancements, and games that aren't available on PC is probably rather small.

SenkiDala

I was expecting/hoping for sharper resolution and framerate. Not just sharper resolution.
If my expectations are unrealistic then I will wait for Scorpio and hope that delivers not just increased resolution.

Ok so again: DON'T expect 60fps on console to be the norm, not with a 6TF console, not with a 12 or 18TF console. Everytime devs will have more horsepower they'll always pick IQ instead of framerate, always.

Every consoles can run 60fps, the PS4, X1, PS3, PS2... They just don't because what sells is IQ and it's commonly admited that 30fps is enough (yes it is), playable and confortable, so they'll always push the IQ and not the framerate.

The Scorpio too will have mostly 30fps games, not 60. But they'll look awesome. ;)

Bollocks

Looks good but I'm also fine with PS4 graphics, I'm more interested how VR games look like on the PRO, if they provide a noticeable difference I have to buy one after all.

FutbolBat

Banned
the PS4 shot actually looks sharper on my tv. the pro shot is black crushed and a little soft looking. if i zoom in i can see a little difference, but zoomed out, not so much.

Koobion

Yea I'm not sure how people can't see the difference. Non-pro looks like shit.

In comparison, the Pro version does make the OG PS4 look quite blurry. Looking at the text on the boat in the back on the darker picture is a good indication of that.

I really don't understand the hate for the Pro that some people are spreading. It's as if they just hate the concept of an upgraded console, or something. The increase in power with the Pro is a massive value for $100 extra; it's a steal in my book, as a primarily PC gamer.

Grief.exe

Console GAF is woke.

I remember back in 2011 when downsampling Skyrim, the prevailing argument was the eye couldn't see past 720p.

I'm having an existential moment right now.

Inuhanyou

Console GAF is woke.

I remember back in 2011 when downsampling Skyrim, the prevailing argument was the eye couldn't see past 720p.

I'm having an existential moment right now.

Try 2013

IGN.gif

Its one thing to argue that the difference isn't enough to make the user reconsider their platform of choice, but its another thing entirely to blatantly ignore the differences as if they don't exist. So i agree with you wholeheartedly.

cooldawn

For a $100 dollar upgrade, I think the difference is pretty dramatic.
Oh, I'm not saying it's not worthwhile. That has a whole new set of criteria.

If you've been playing on console, and tell a PC player that their maxed out 60fps, High resolution and higher graphical settings enabled versions of games were barely noticeable, or that the difference was not huge, they would look at you sideways.

Considering the Pro was always a PC like GPU upgrade in that sense, its a worth while comparison to make. While the base game stays the same, the actual refinement in the visuals is a huge step above.

You have to be able to appreciate subtler details. Your getting in effect, remastered versions of games on this hardware without having to pay for a new version of the game.
I'm just stating some people think the difference is that big it's revelatory. Sure, I can see difference in IQ that benefits me as a 1080p user but complexity remains much like a standard PS4 title.

I also wouldn't say high-end PC settings are that far from standard PS4 settings i.e. not anything like a generational difference. I think scenes need to be way more complex, over and above higher textures/higher resolution/sharper shadows etc... before I can talk about generational leaps. That's just the same complexity with a bit more detail.

Overall, from my point of view, I'm less impressed because I imagined a PS4 would have been providing some of the benefits we could potentially see from PS4 Pro in 2013. Relatively I would have expected the PS4 Pro to deliver more complexity to 1080p titles...but that's not really happening either.

Oh well. I'm awaiting my PS4 Pro next week and I'll still enjoy the games I buy.

Inuhanyou

Oh, I'm not saying it's not worthwhile. That has a whole new set of criteria.

I'm just stating some people think the difference is that big it's revelatory. Sure, I can see difference in IQ that benefits me as a 1080p user but complexity remains much like a standard PS4 title.

It depends on the person. There will be people who feel these upgrades are huge, and there will be people who think there's generally no difference between the two. That doesn't make them wrong, it just means their priorities and what they like to see out of visuals are different.

I can see the differences, and fully appreciate them myself. At the same time, do i think that they are worthy of 399 if you own a PS4? Not really, hence why i have no real interest in buying a Pro at this time.

But for those who are interested in the machine due to this kind of upgrade, i can absolutely see where they are coming from.

So has there been confirmation that Titanfall 2 supports supersampling?

Because a 4K screenshot downsampled to 1080p doesn't mean that's how the game will look.

Has anyone actually played the game and taken screens on a 1080p display yet? If not there's nothing to be excited about here yet.

The patch notes for Titanfall 2 do not indicate any support for supersampling unless they omitted it.

Why does the normal PS4 version show shadows that the pro doesnt?

There is no normal PS4 version in the comparison you quoted. It's PC (4K adaptive res) vs PC (4K native res) vs PS4 Pro (4K checkerboard). And to make it more confusing they resized all the shots to 1080p.

Looks pretty huge to me. Like playing on low vs high settings on PC.

Top Bottom