• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So has there been confirmation that Titanfall 2 supports supersampling?

Because a 4K screenshot downsampled to 1080p doesn't mean that's how the game will look.

Has anyone actually played the game and taken screens on a 1080p display yet? If not there's nothing to be excited about here yet.

The patch notes for Titanfall 2 do not indicate any support for supersampling unless they omitted it.

These pictures are from someone taking grabs with a PS4 Pro running at 1080p.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, they were serious?

Of course they were. If you actually watch certain podcasts, you get to see how little many game commentators and even official journalists actually know about game hardware, or the industry itself.

Most of these guys were the same ones defending MS's always online BS saying "i already own an online connection in my house, i never go anywhere without wi fi, so why is it a big deal for always online?"

icespide

Banned
These pictures are from someone taking grabs with a PS4 Pro running at 1080p.
to be fair, that's not true. these screens are from someone running in 4K mode, and then someone resized it to 1080p to get the supersampling effect. it should be a good indication of what to do expect when supersampling at 1080 though

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
to be fair, that's not true. these screens are from someone running in 4K mode, and then someone resized it to 1080p to get the supersampling effect. it should be a good indication of what to do expect when supersampling at 1080 though
Someone did that with the Skyrim shots but I thought the Titanfall shots were the 1080p native mode?

icespide

Banned
So has there been confirmation that Titanfall 2 supports supersampling?

Because a 4K screenshot downsampled to 1080p doesn't mean that's how the game will look.

Has anyone actually played the game and taken screens on a 1080p display yet? If not there's nothing to be excited about here yet.

The patch notes for Titanfall 2 do not indicate any support for supersampling unless they omitted it.
developers do not need to enable supersampling. if there is no other specific 1080p pro mode, the Pro will use the 4k mode supersampled down to 1080p automatically
Someone did that with the Skyrim shots but I thought the Titanfall shots were the 1080p native mode?
nope

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I've heard a few people say something like "for a $100 upgrade..."

This is my opinion, but it isn't a $100 upgrade unless you were buying a PS4 to replace a broken one, marking the choice between PS4 Slim and PRO from scratch, or that is the gap between what you sold your PS4 for and the cost of the PRO purchase.

I'll be paying about $250 including tax to "upgrade" after trading in my PS4 and buying PRO. I'm happy to do so.

adamsapple

^ yeah, I thought when these pics were first posted in the "PS4 boxes" thread, it was stated these are from the game running on a Pro at 1080p resolution.

Apologies if that's not the case, but that is what I was led to believe.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

There is no "1080p" or "4K" mode with TItanall 2 as far as we know right now. There is one single Pro mode, which employs dynamic res from 1440p down to 1080p.

When people refer to '1080p', it means the image was downsized to 1080p enabling the super sampling effect

This is the first I have heard of hardware/OS level of supersampling. Quotes or links to confirm??

This is basic common sense. It is the same thing Horizon is doing. If there is only one pro mode for the game to use, the machine will render that regardless of what TV you have. It has no other choice but to do so.

developers do not need to enable supersampling. if there is no other specific 1080p pro mode, the Pro will use the 4k mode supersampled down to 1080p automatically

nope

This is the first I have heard of hardware/OS level of supersampling. Quotes or links to confirm??

icespide

Banned
^ yeah, I thought when these pics were first posted in the "PS4 boxes" thread, it was stated these are from the game running on a Pro at 1080p resolution.

Apologies if that's not the case, but that is what I was led to believe.
ya know what now i'm looking back at that thread it's not clear. the pic says "PS4 pro downscaled to 1080p" doesn't indicate to me if it's an actual 1080 capture or if it was resized to 1080

Hoo-doo

Banned
In all truths, all this buzz for barely-noticeable changes..the hype was way too immense..it isn't a game-changing upgrade. The PS4 slim is the best choice today.

It's a 100$ difference between this and the slim. It's the easiest decision you'll ever make.

PS4 owners upgrading to the PS4pro is another matter.

Freeman76

ya know what now i'm looking back at that thread it's not clear. the pic says "PS4 pro downscaled to 1080p" doesn't indicate to me if it's an actual 1080 capture or if it was resized to 1080

There will be plenty of chances to find out for sure over the next couple of days, no point scrutinising a single screenshot like this really.

icespide

Banned
There will be plenty of chances to find out for sure over the next couple of days, no point scrutinising a single screenshot like this really.
for sure. some are being hyper skeptical too. even if these are resized pics, that's a good indication of what it will look like at 1080

adamsapple

but that's the most fun part :p

Ah well ... I'll be using the Pro on my 4K TV, so downsampling isn't something for me anyway, it's just nice to see these positive comparisons.

Grief.exe

This IGN gif will never get old. Have they ever apologized for this missinformation?

Of course not.

There used to be a graph that people would post back then that looked official, of course it would be easily disproven by anyone with a capable PC at the time. Still saw consistent use on GAF and other places.

Gurish

Just bumped into this thread, are the differences are really going to be this big or did they purposely take a bad OG PS4 pics to compare it with?

I mean when I play U4 on my PS4 the IQ is outstanding and here TF2 on OG PS4 looks like it has the IQ of a PS3 game, what's going on?

icespide

Banned
Just bumped into this thread, are the differences are really going to be this big or did they purposely take a bad OG PS4 pics to compare it with?

I mean when I play U4 on my PS4 the IQ is outstanding and here TF2 on OG PS4 looks like it has the IQ of a PS3 game, what's going on?
i think you need to revisit some PS3 games

At the same time some people would have you think it's like a whole new generation, yet it's not as revelatory as people make it out to be.

Comments like 'the difference is huge'...no it's not.

It's huge if you care about IQ and other little things .
No one was saying this going to be a new gen .
Now i can look forward to FFXV some more.

The Pro images are taken from a gaffer, the PS4 standard shots are taken from Digital Foundry,

Daffy Duck

Maybe it's a combination of old man eyes but I don't see a huge difference....not saying that to be controversial or anything but I just don't see that much of a difference.

Latimer

Banned

TF2 on PS4 is sub 1080p upscaled to 1080p, that's why it looks blurry.

You also have to remember that this will help some games more than others.
And it also depends on how much work the devs put in .
For eg i expect pro to help FFXV much more than UC4 .

Note that TF2 isn't a native 1080p game, which accounts for the poorer than usual IQ.

I've heard a few people say something like "for a $100 upgrade..."

This is my opinion, but it isn't a $100 upgrade unless you were buying a PS4 to replace a broken one, marking the choice between PS4 Slim and PRO from scratch, or that is the gap between what you sold your PS4 for and the cost of the PRO purchase.

I'll be paying about $250 including tax to "upgrade" after trading in my PS4 and buying PRO. I'm happy to do so.

I'll be paying exactly $100 for this upgrade selling my current Playstation with a controller and a game to someone I know....so depending on your situation, that difference can be higher or lower but for the most part, it's largely inexpensive. You really can find people who want your Playstation without sending it to a gamestop or whatever local game shop you have in your country.

At the same time some people would have you think it's like a whole new generation, yet it's not as revelatory as people make it out to be.

Comments like 'the difference is huge'...no it's not.

Isn't this like.....self projecting. The difference is night and day. If you chose not to see it but delegate the responses to people who can actually see the difference as some "new generation" then I mean..it really is just you.

The difference is significant.

Daffy Duck

OT question, how do people count pixels in an image?

Do they use software or do they literally zoom in Photoshop and count.

Gurish

Note that TF2 isn't a native 1080p game, which accounts for the poorer than usual IQ.

TF2 on PS4 is sub 1080p upscaled to 1080p, that's why it looks blurry.

Oh that explain this than, it's not really a fair comparison since most games on PS4 are 1080P, only some of EA games are usually below that, I wanna see what I'm getting from a game with a great IQ like U4 on PS4 Pro, I find most games on OG PS4 to have a pretty good IQ, it's not the reason why I would upgrade as a 1080P user.

You also have to remember that this will help some games more than others.
And it also depends on how much work the devs put in .
For eg i expect pro to help FFXV much more than UC4 .

Yea that's also true, FFXV is game that could benefit more from it, though from what I understand they improved the IQ on OG PS4 as well, I'm waiting for official comparisons, right now I don't think it's worth it for the most part.

Console GAF is woke.

I remember back in 2011 when downsampling Skyrim, the prevailing argument was the eye couldn't see past 720p.

I'm having an existential moment right now.

Yeah, I'm sure it's not the same people saying both things (at least I hope not), but after seeing so many variations of "there's no real difference" whenever PC screenshots were compared to console, I'm very surprised at the comments in this thread. It reminds me of that grassgate image Durante made.

Melchiah

Your post makes no sense.

For the people who were thinking realistically, this was exactly what they wanted and expected.

For those people who were expecting more, those expectations were unrealistic to start with.

Exactly. After seeing the screenshots, I'm actually more hyped than before. These kind of 1080p improvements were exactly what I wished to see. They're far more important to me than 4K and 60fps.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'll be paying exactly $100 for this upgrade selling my current Playstation with a controller and a game to someone I know....so depending on your situation, that difference can be higher or lower but for the most part, it's largely inexpensive. You really can find people who want your Playstation without sending it to a gamestop or whatever local game shop you have in your country.

Right, if I can find someone willing to pay more. The most I've gotten offer wise from people is $200. That's just for the console and an extra controller. I can get that from Amazon.com without the meeting up with someone. If you can get more, yeah... definitely makes the upgrade cheaper.

I was only commenting about people saying it is a $100 upgrade. True for some.

icespide

Banned
Exactly. After seeing the screenshots, I'm actually more hyped than before. These kind of 1080p improvements were exactly what I wished to see. They're far more imortant to me than 4K and 60fps.
what's even more exciting is the these shots are pretty much the minimum we can expect with 1080p improvments. for devs that go the extra mile stuff will look even better

Latimer

Banned
that's the "usual" resolution, but max res is 1080p for sure

Well if that screenshot is true 1080p it must have some abysmal post AA.

Yeah, I'm sure it's not the same people saying both things (at least I hope not), but after seeing so many variations of "there's no real difference" whenever PC screenshots were compared to console, I'm very surprised at the comments in this thread. It reminds me of that grassgate image Durante made.

This is how it always goes.

DF Console vs PC threads, many console players downplaying differences, now console gets much closer to PC IQ, everyone is going crazy.

Though as you said It's probably not all the same people.

haikira

Seeing as these are the first user comparisons for the Pro out in the wild, and they're getting a lot of views, I'm laughing that these are probably doing a better job making people aware of Titanfall 2 than EA have.

icespide

Banned
Seeing as these are the first user comparisons for the Pro out in the wild, and they're getting a lot of views, I'm laughing that these are probably doing a better job making people aware of Titanfall 2 than EA have done.
i just bought it specifically because of these threads

Melchiah

what's even more exciting is the these shots are pretty much the minimum we can expect with 1080p improvments. for devs that go the extra mile stuff will look even better

Yeah. I hope Tomb Raider, Paragon, The Witness, Nioh, Horizon, and Mass Effect will lead the way for others.

Ryuuga

Banned
Are all games going forward going to be Pro-patched or is that still developer discretion? I ask because as good as this looks it'd be a shame if the games didn't benefit from it across the board.

Top Bottom