• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are all games going forward going to be Pro-patched or is that still developer discretion? I ask because as good as this looks it'd be a shame if the games didn't benefit from it across the board.

As far as we know from the leaked documents, all games will need to have some kind of Pro support going from October onward. What the Pro support is, is up to the developer.

jdmonmou

Are all games going forward going to be Pro-patched or is that still developer discretion? I ask because as good as this looks it'd be a shame if the games didn't benefit from it across the board.

Depends on the developer, but it's anticipated that games in development from this point forward will be enhanced for the Pro.

All of them going forward I think, but nobody knows yet how many boxes they have to check past being simply compatible.

BBboy20

If you got a PS4 to play PS4 games, they are still working perfectly fine. Furthermore, XB1 and PS4 will continue to be the development platform of all games going forward, studios can put a small team of 4 or 5 people on the Pro and come up with something nice.
I hope so.

Ryuuga

Banned
As far as we know from the leaked documents, all games will need to have some kind of Pro support going from October onward. What the Pro support is, is up to the developer.

Thanks for the answer. I'll keep an eye out as I'm not opposed to more reasons to pick one up eventually.

I must need glasses as I can't see any significant difference. Black and White to Colour. No Problem. SD to HD. Again No Problem. 720p to 1080p. I would like to say I can spot the difference 100% of the time but I would be lying. Downsampled 2K (or whatever it is) to 1080p. Yeah I can't see a difference.

Glasses it is then I guess. Or no glasses and I just keep playing my PS4 normal boring console just as I have been. Possibly in motion I could see a difference but I doubt it. My eyes just don't see it. Framerates though I can appreciate a nice high frame rate. All day every day.

Freeman76

I must need glasses as I can't see any significant difference. Black and White to Colour. No Problem. SD to HD. Again No Problem. 720p to 1080p. I would like to say I can spot the difference 100% of the time but I would be lying. Downsampled 2K (or whatever it is) to 1080p. Yeah I can't see a difference.

Glasses it is then I guess. Or no glasses and I just keep playing my PS4 normal boring console just as I have been. Possibly in motion I could see a difference but I doubt it. My eyes just don't see it. Framerates though I can appreciate a nice high frame rate. All day every day.

I was the same until i opened the page on the PS4 browser and views the images on the TV i will be playing on. Massive difference then

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

The PS4 version is significantly below 1080p in that shot. Pro is above 1080p.

Possibly in motion I could see a difference but I doubt it.
In motion, the difference will actually be more apparent. Jaggies in stills turn into shimmering in motion; downsampling will make moving images more solid and less flickery.

Framerates though I can appreciate a nice high frame rate.
PS4 Pro definitely improves framerates, though by how much will vary from title to title. (I wouldn't expect too many to move from 30fps to 60fps, though.) As with resolution, how much the improvement matters to you is a personal thing. But it'll be there.

Taker34

Banned
Just made some more comparison pics. Don't have a 4K TV so these images are supersampled 1080p on the Pro.

Sorry for the bad ESO comparison as it is hard to get the time of day right - the weather and time of day are server-bound. I also changed the FoV several times, so that might be off as well.

Skyrim PS4 1:
skyrim_standard_1hck7s.png

Skyrim PS4 Pro 1:
skyrim_pro_1_1080t5jx2.png

Skyrim PS4 2:
skyrm_standard_21ykhz.png

Skyrim PS4 Pro 2:
skyrim_pro_2_1080blkrl.png

The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 1:
eso_standard_1eaj6v.png

The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 Pro 1:
eso_pro_1_108053jol.png

The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 2:
eso_standard_2o6k9n.png

The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 Pro 2:
eso_pro_2_1080j4jr5.png

Does that work for you guys?

What about downsample to 1080i, 720p, or can it do like my gtx1070 and let me scale on the GPU to force a fake 1080p to 2160p on my CRT?

Staf

I'm upgrading from base ps4 to pro, since i always have to have the latest thing and have too much money, but i don't really see any difference. Excited for the pro nonetheless.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just made some more comparison pics. Don't have a 4K TV so these images are supersampled 1080p on the Pro.

Sorry for the bad ESO comparison as it is hard to get the time of day right - the weather and time of day are server-bound. I also changed the FoV several times, so that might be off as well.

Skyrim PS4 1:
Skyrim PS4 2:
The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 1:
The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 Pro 1:
The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 2:
The Elder Scrolls: Online PS4 Pro 2:

Yep. These are great.

Even at the same resolution, the bump in detail is clearly obvious, more so in some cases than others but definitely obvious.

Sharper textures, more resolved detail at distance, more detail in individual things like tree branches, longer draw distance for foliage and trees and denser foliage in the world.

Taker34

Banned
So you don't get 4k screenshots without a 4k TV hooked up?

You can choose between 4k and 1080p screenshots, but I downsized the 4k images because that's what I see on my 1080p monitor.

Yep. These are great.

Even at the same resolution, the bump in detail is clearly obvious, more so in some cases than others but definitely obvious.

Sharper textures, more resolved detail at distance, more detail in individual things like tree branches, longer draw distance for foliage and trees and denser foliage in the world.

Yeah the difference in Skyrim is quite impressive. If you toggle between those screenshots you can see how much better the Pro version looks, as you've said: draw distance, foliage, textures etc. Stunning.

BigEmil

Theres difference but nothing that drastic unless you zoom in and stare and ogle at the screenshors

Finally some real examples. However it's not really a noticeable difference.

Yeah, with the Skyrim remaster, the difference will be in the textures and foliage since the game already has practically no jaggies. It uses a good, yet blurry, TAA solution. I can imagine that the blur goes away completely on a 4K native screen since it does if you render higher than 1080p on the PC version.

Anyone got a quick answer because I've been told my thought is wrong. Are all games post October going to have some form of improvement via ps4 pro or is it just the option will be available.

Marmelade

Yeah those are great and, I think, more representative to what people should expect for the majority of games rather than the TF2 comparison.
But like I said earlier, the Pro is a god send for sub 1080p games (FF XV I'm looking at you), whether you have a 1080p or 4K display.

Inuhanyou

I don't see much of a difference here especially for a native 4K downsample compared to the native 1080p. Clearly less clarity than the press screens Bethesda released at the very least, which should not be the case, especially regarding the foliage being so blurred.

Are you sure Skyrim doesn't have a patch instead of being on disk?

Even for PC 4K downsampled shots of Skyrim Special Edition i've seen, they are much cleaner than the 1080p native PS4 shots

Taker34

Banned
My main takeaway from this thread is that Elder Scrolls Online looks vomit-inducing irrespective of the resolution.

It's an MMO after all so it's only natural that it doesn't look that great. After all every game is utilizing the power of the Pro differently. ESO apparently has a sharper image now, better shadows and water reflections - I tried hard but I didn't notice any improved shadows and water reflections are absent from what I've seen so far... and I play a lot of ESO.

platina

You can choose between 4k and 1080p screenshots, but I downsized the 4k images because that's what I see on my 1080p monitor.

Yeah the difference in Skyrim is quite impressive. If you toggle between those screenshots you can see how much better the Pro version looks, as you've said: draw distance, foliage, textures etc. Stunning.

Can you post native 4k shots? The screens should have the same iq as these:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/2vD2Mjgezeu8O22KKGGcyI/mods-and-4k-coming-to-playstation-4-for-skyrim-and-fallout-4

dancmc

Looks great. Have been holding off on the all the recent shooter campaigns until pro arrives next week. Can't wait to give TF2, BF1 both a go on the pro

platina

Should I go to these locations as well? In the meantime someone could maybe suggest a site where I can upload proper 4K screens, as Abload doesn't accept them due to their size.

Yes, thank you. The previous pro owner used google:
https://photos.google.com/

Here is the interesting part: The screens should be around 30mb at least for the forest one to match the one bethesda posted.

Inuhanyou

I don't think it has been patched with Pro support... Am i wrong?

I havent heard about a Pro patch yet, and i don't know if it was on the disk.

It would be funny if the current captures we have just gave a placebo effect of looking better. I think they look off for native 4K downsampled pics though.

Top Bottom