• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

Grief.exe

Don't get the point of your posts, and?

You had to be there.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

It was very pervasive, but never said every single person holds those beliefs.

T Ghost

malls, starbucks, fast food places etc,.You can always have a listing with photos of the ps4 on and have a link video of the ps4 running . Thats how i sold my ps4 anyway(guy wanted to know if the wi-fi was working so i made a video and showed him in person) at a local McDonald.

CL as in Charlotte? If yes then I'm from Newton which is only an hour away and sold my PSVR to a guy from Charlotte last week. We met at a Walmart in Denver(NC). But before then he did want some proof that it worked. I just quickly uploaded a 10 second clip to Youtube showing it on and the inside of the goggles. You can just do the same thing. Show yourself turning it on and then your TV/Monitor displaying the PS4 UI and you're good to go.

Thanks guys! Video is a great idea. I found that people are meeting at police station parking lots too. Several PDs are offering a special space at their parking lots for "safe online trading".

Rice Eater, CL as Craigslist. I'm in the Boston metro area.

BigEmil

You had to be there.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

It was very pervasive, but never said every single person holds those beliefs.
The way you say it you group the whole userbase of the platform as if everyone said it, some people don't represent the majority.

Jacob4815

When i created the thread i was under the impression that these screenshots were straight from a PS4 Pro.

Apparently not, tbh i'd just close the thread. Lots of bullshit being spread lately.

Not your fault :) That was the general impression.

Yes, I think at this point the topic should be closed. Probably the best thing.

Wheatly

Any idea on how long to receive the gift card from Walmart?

Im not sure, I dropped off my box at FedEx yesterday. It does say that you will "Receive an instant Walmart eGift Card after product are evaluated" - hopefully not have to wait weeks like for physical cards with mail-in-rebates

Grief.exe

The way you say it you group the whole userbase of the platform as if everyone said it, some people don't represent the majority.

I said it was pervasive, but never said it was ubiquitous. Likely, a vocal minority.

We merely speak the same language now fam.

Dunkley

#NotAllConsoleGaffers

Seriously tho they didn't, stop trying to make it seem like talking about ConsoleGAF implies they mean to state without fail that everyone thinks like that like that with no chance of individual opinion inside of that group.

renzolama

Well, I was going to delay the PS4 Pro purchase until after the end of the year but this most recent wave of screens/impressions convinced me to sell my XBOne Slim and pick up the Pro at launch. With Play Anywhere I don't feel like I'm losing much with no XBOne console as the only games I'm missing out on (that I own and enjoy) are Halo/Forza (pre Horizon 3). Plus I know I'll end up buying Scorpio next year, so I'll be able to play those again eventually regardless.

The only major issue I still have with the Pro is that I'll be moving my OG PS4 to another room and I wish Sony had implemented a more modern cloud save/sync system. As it stands, I'll have to manually download/upload every save I want to share on my secondary system and that's very cumbersome; the upload part in particular is a major hassle, because it means that I have to remember to go through every game I play on the secondary machine during a gaming session and upload each of them. I hope enough people will now have two consoles that Sony will be forced to address that and improve their cloud sync infrastructure.

To start : i do love 60fps:). But sry, can't really tell a difference. Ps4 screenshot does look very close for me. Can you give me some details i could focus one ?

Well, i focused on the stones. And i agree, it's obvious : on the ps4 shot, i can clearly see the texture and geometry, on the ps4 shot when i zoom, it's a blurry mess. Nice :)

platina

Well here is the final comparison for now. Thanks to Taker34 for sending me a native 4k skyrim shot and the 1080p supersampled mode.

Ps4 Pro Native 4K
skyrim_20161105194834_by_raziel1992-daniqe9.png

Ps4 Pro Native 4K top image downscaled to 1080p (nearest neighbor in photoshop)
nearestneighbor4kresau1j2i.png

PS4 Pro 1080p direct capture
pro1080psupersampleocjzt.png

Yes that is finally supersampled 1080p it looks literally the same as the downscaled image.

Well here is the final comparison for now. Thanks to Taker34 for sending me a native 4k skyrim shot and the 1080p supersampled mode.

Ps4 Pro Native 4K

Yes that is finally supersampled 1080p it looks literally the same as the downscaled image.
excellent. thanx

aaand good to know 4k makes dithering more apparent.

With a magnifying glass (not really, just looking close to the screen) i even think the direct capture looks a tiny bit better, by the way.

Melchiah

Ps4 Pro Native 4K

Thanks for sharing.

Good we have that matter solved now.

renzolama

That's because Skyrim is too dated, even with the SE improvements, to showcase any effects or rendering techniques that would scale with resolution in a way that is a noticeable improvement in downsampled images.

Edit: Actually I think I misunderstood your statement, you're comparing supersampling on PC to downsampling on PS4. My statement is not relevant for that comparison.

Ps4 Pro Native 4K

Really good to know, great comparison.

Nice to see manually downsampled images are the same as what the PS4 Pro outputs.

Lister

Banned
Don't get the point of your posts, and? You remember a few persons posts from years ago ok then, now each and every single console player said those stuff? Don't be ridiculous and get off your high horse

It wasn't a few people. It was a significant level of noise in every PC comparison thread, up until very recently.

This is just on another level fo irony, considering this is a lot of ooing and ahhing about what is essentially a GTX 960.

Irony aside though, it's overall good. Console people are FINALLY seeing the light and caring about these things, instead of simply being dismissive of them.

hesido

Man, Bloodborne would benefit so much from downsampling. The game has an absolutely amazing art style and visual design, the only thing holding it back is the aliasing. The improved IQ would make it perfect.

Needs moar chromatic aberration at 4K.

renzolama

Man, Bloodborne would benefit so much from downsampling. The game has an absolutely amazing art style and visual design, the only thing holding it back is the aliasing. The improved IQ would make it perfect.

It would be perfect running at 25fps, you mean? The game would benefit much more from performance improvements than from improved IQ.

cooldawn

It depends on the person. There will be people who feel these upgrades are huge, and there will be people who think there's generally no difference between the two. That doesn't make them wrong, it just means their priorities and what they like to see out of visuals are different.

I can see the differences, and fully appreciate them myself. At the same time, do i think that they are worthy of 399 if you own a PS4? Not really, hence why i have no real interest in buying a Pro at this time.

But for those who are interested in the machine due to this kind of upgrade, i can absolutely see where they are coming from.
I can see the difference too and I do understand potential preferences a gamer might have. Technically a 1080p PS4 Pro title has better IQ and it does look better, there's not doubt about that, but I can't see how it elevates a games visual appeal as much as other benefits would like a little more geometry here and there, more particle effects and better alpha effects (they still seem to cripple hardware systems) to create fuller, richer worlds along with better frame rates. I thought PS4 Pro might be able to deliver that to 1080p users like myself and I'd prefer that to just sampling better IQ.

But you are right, different strokes for different folks.

Isn't this like.....self projecting. The difference is night and day. If you chose not to see it but delegate the responses to people who can actually see the difference as some "new generation" then I mean..it really is just you.

The difference is significant.
My initial response is to people seeing a transformative process that is significant enough to feel like something new. Even your own term of 'night and day' is rather misleading, don't you think?! Technically it's improved but not anywhere near close to 'night and day'.

BSpot

Taker34 got any other games to send a 1080p (Pro) dowbsampled screenshot on? Something a little better looking than Skyrim? :)

Taker34

Banned
Taker34 got any other games to send a 1080p (Pro) dowbsampled screenshot on? Something a little better looking than Skyrim? :)

I have a few more Pro titles but I don't know if anyone cares about those: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, inFAMOUS Second Son, Knack, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, PSVR Worlds, DRIVECLUB VR

Marmelade

I have a few more Pro titles but I don't know if anyone cares about those: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, inFAMOUS Second Son, Knack, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, PSVR Worlds, DRIVECLUB VR

Yeah no let's stick to Skyrim :)

I would appreciate a few Infinite Warfare, R&C and Deus Ex screenshots :)

And can you tell us if Naughty Dog is using hq shadows, best seen in the Madagascar area.

RMI

Banned
Titanfall 2 looks good enough on the standard Ps4 IMO. I don't spend a lot of time examining the edges of palm fronds while playing the game, TBH. If I didn't already have a Ps4, the pro would be an obvious choice, but I'm not seeing anything here that's going to make me buy a second console, mid-cycle. That's just foolishness.

Top Bottom