• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dudebro II in-game screenshots finally released, shit just got fucked up!

Yasae

Banned
kamspy said:
1. What DirectX11 features will Dudebro 2 be showcasing?

2. Will DB2 support hardware PhysX?

3. Will Nolan North be voicing the last boss?

4. When will the Hans Zimmer composed opening theme be released to the public?

5. I don't have a Sandy Bridge CPU or a 580GTX SLI video solution. Will I be able to play at a decent frame rate?
6. Will there be co-op?

7. How about multiplayer?

8. I hope the DRM is Steamworks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
cuyahoga said:
Still regretting my role in this whole affair.

If you popularized the term "dudebro" on GAF, then I regret your role in promoting an adjective that people throw around like it means something useful or descriptive. I do not begrudge the creation of this video game, however.

Oh, also that HUD looks pro as hell. Dudepro.

Kud(br)os to all involved.

Spoo

I spent a lot of time with Dudebro during its genesis as a programmer, and to see the screens coming out now, I'm really excited. The game is fun, and now, it looks fun too.

Kudos to everyone working on the project now, and I'm more than excited to see how it evolves.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
MNC said:
This totally reminds me of gunbros.
Yeah, I can see that. They play very differently, though.
Gun Bros has arenas and weapon enhancements, Dudebro instead has larger environments and missions.

kamspy said:
1. What DirectX11 features will Dudebro 2 be showcasing?

2. Will DB2 support hardware PhysX?

3. Will Nolan North be voicing the last boss?

4. When will the Hans Zimmer composed opening theme be released to the public?

5. I don't have a Sandy Bridge CPU or a 580GTX SLI video solution. Will I be able to play at a decent frame rate?
1. Backwards compatibility!

2. Unity actually uses PhysX for the physics engine. No idea about hardware support, honestly.

3. He should be voicing everyone.

4. I'm sure he'd love to rock out some beard metal.

5. My shitty laptop from 5 years ago runs it smoothly! Switching to sprites also means lower system requirements (and a higher enemy count).

Yasae said:
6. Will there be co-op?

7. How about multiplayer?

8. I hope the DRM is Steamworks.
6. It's planned, but it's early to tell if/how it's going to be implemented. It will depend on our resources later on, and how the netcode fares with the gameplay being pretty physics intensive.

7. Same as above. I believe there's some potential for competitive multiplayer, but it's early to tell.

8. No DRM, it's free!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
OH GOD! I just realized this means I have to finally write an ending to the script for Dudebro D:

thetrin said:
OH GOD! I just realized this means I have to finally write an ending to the script for Dudebro D:

If you want to pass it off to me, you can ;)

JK, I don't really like the idea of someone finishing someone else's script unless it's a last resort. Really looking forward to it and how you're gonna execute the "twist".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zeliard said:
Is Jon St. John still voicing Dudebro?

Awesome work by the way.

Yes sir. The superstar voice of Doug Huggem is still voicing Dudebro.

cosmicblizzard said:
If you want to pass it off to me, you can ;)

JK, I don't really like the idea of someone finishing someone else's script unless it's a last resort. Really looking forward to it and how you're gonna execute the "twist".

I'll give it to you to finish if I die before the script is finished, because you'll have to pry it out of my COLD DEAD HANDS!

matmanx1

This thread made me chuckle alot. Dudebro is hilarious and I'm pleased to see the project is still moving forward. Go team, GAF!

yencid

So is the BroSquad team still on? I got a PM about it a long time ago from Dacvak... are we still part of the QA?

EDIT: Jon St. John did the Darksiders trailer? Awesome

yencid said:
So is the BroSquad team still on? I got a PM about it a long time ago from Dacvak... are we still part of the QA?

EDIT: Jon St. John did the Darksiders trailer? Awesome
Yeah, it still exists... we just haven't made enough progress for another major testing round yet.

Mik2121

MacBosse said:
Hang on, let me take off my NeoGaf glasses.

Bland enviroments, blob shadows, lame character design, attack of the clones, lack of AA hurts my eyes, and jesus ... haven't we got enough of shooters with boxes and explosive barrels in them?

Am I doing this wrong? ... I'm going to get banned.
You know. After reading your comment, we spent the next 6 months thinking of what could we make to evolve, to go one step further than every other single company has ever gone. To make the game thrilling again!.

We introduce you... the cardboard boxes!

lci70.png

You can grab 'em, throw 'em and even kick 'em!. Cardboard boxes. The future, is now.

(nah really, I was thinking about what to add in a certain environment and made these boxes while having some snacks)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Damn, you guys actually went ahead and made it? Gotta give ya props, if for nothing else, then just the fact that you followed through with an internet project.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
A few articles about yesterday's screenshots:
http://shogungamer.com/news/amount-dudebroness-simply-too-much-these-new-screens-dudebro-ii
http://www.destructoid.com/first-dudebro-ii-screenshots-show-promise-194398.phtml
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/02/its_straightup_dawg_time_first.php
:)

Oblivion said:
Damn, you guys actually went ahead and made it? Gotta give ya props, if for nothing else, then just the fact that you followed through with an internet project.
Thanks, man.

besiktas1

You guys have probably talked about this before, but in terms of a XBLI game, maybe making money off it might get you in trouble with Evilore but if you guys agree couldn't (minus MS tax) ALL proceeds go to a charity like childsplay or something. That'd be amazing.

Mik2121

besiktas1 said:
You guys have probably talked about this before, but in terms of a XBLI game, maybe making money off it might get you in trouble with Evilore but if you guys agree couldn't (minus MS tax) ALL proceeds go to a charity like childsplay or something. That'd be amazing.
It's been decided already, and even if we took profit from the game, Evilore has nothing to do with this, just the people actually working on it.

Either way, we will release it for browsers and hopefully one day release it for iOS and charge just the smallest amount and use that for charity.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
besiktas1 said:
The bigger problem would be sharing eventual profits with whoever contributed, even marginally, in a way that satisfies everyone (nearly impossible). When money starts getting involved, things get messy. So I firmly believe we need to avoid that.

Charity was actually considered from the very beginning, regardless of later ports: the idea is to add a button somewhere on the website, to allow everyone who liked the game to donate money to a charity organization (the one we'd like to use is, coincidentally, Child's Play, but with the game being far from done we haven't really looked into any specific solution yet).

As far as ports go, we'll have to wait till the game is done before evaluating the best course of action.

SuomiDude

BloodySinner said:
I thought this was going to be a side-scrolling shooter?
I hadn't followed this game much either (though saw the birth of it), but I also always had the impression that it was going to be a Probotector (Contra) style shooter :p Guess not.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
^^^ Thanks!

cosmicblizzard said:
The hell? Okay guys, which one of you was it?
They're from the super-secret chapter set in Feudal Japan.

Jokes aside, just a mix up. Happens all the time, no biggie! Hopefully it will get fixed :)

BloodySinner said:
I thought this was going to be a side-scrolling shooter?
Actually, the side-scrolling shooter route was indeed evaluated for a bit in the very beginning.

Ultim8p00 kindly offered his side-scrolling engine in Game Maker but, with the large amount of 3D artists that joined and Will's experience with Unity, we ended up choosing the latter and going top-down as originally planned.
My very first pitch was, in fact, a basic top-down shooter akin to Minigore, just 2D and with different levels with some basic props (like rocks and trees). And with chicks as human shields.

CryptiK said:
I'd feel it better of the crates and trees were sprites
Actually, there's a reason for that: physics.

You can pick up and throw several props, and the mechanic is integral part of the gameplay. For example, you can pick up a barrel, throw it to a pack of pissed off yetis and blow it up, or they can pick up a metallic crate and throw it on your head, or
you can walk by an innocent-looking heap of cardboard boxes and have one enemy pop up from inside with boxes flying everywhere

Without physics their behavior would be very different.

Wichu

Jocchan said:
Actually, there's a reason for that: physics.

You can pick up and throw several props, and the mechanic is integral part of the gameplay. For example, you can pick up a barrel, throw it to a pack of pissed off yetis and blow it up, or they can pick up a metallic crate and throw it on your head, or
you can walk by an innocent-looking heap of cardboard boxes and have one enemy pop up from inside with boxes flying everywhere

Without physics their behavior would be very different.
Would it not be possible to make them more sprite-like in appearance by, for example, giving them outlines (a lot of DS games such as Pokémon and Dragon Quest IX do this) or cel-shading?

Mik2121

Wichu said:
Would it not be possible to make them more sprite-like in appearance by, for example, giving them outlines (a lot of DS games such as Pokémon and Dragon Quest IX do this) or cel-shading?
If we make everything sprite-based though, going with a 3D environment is almost worthless, we would be much better working on a full 2D game.

What we are doing is just making characters, weapons and HUD sprite-based, and some of the effects as sprites, the rest as full 3D. It's an actual design decision, not just a technical barrier of any sort.

It's not like we are the first game to ever do this though, there are games like Ragnarok Online that have been doing this since many years ago, and the system is practically the same:

Environment-related stuff - 3D
Player and enemies-related stuff (this includes items too) - Sprites

As for boxes and stuff that explodes, you could say they are related to the player (he can grab 'em), but it's also related to the environment, so that's why we are making them 3D.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Wichu said:
There would be a performance hit, especially with many of them on screen. But actually, even if we added them, they would probably feel inconsistent with the rest of the environment (that doesn't have outlines), and I'm afraid they'd stick out more (which is both good and bad). When you're mixing two very different styles it's hard to keep consistency. You need to lay down some rules and stick religiously to them, because every time you break - or bend - one the player will be the first to notice and, unless it's intentional (for example, to stress interactive elements that would otherwise go unnoticed), get turned off (most likely outcome in most situations, actually).

The rule we've been going by is pixelated characters, "realistic" 3D world (well, as realistic as our resources allow us to be). Sounds simple enough in theory, but there's plenty of instances where it's hard to classify something as one or the other 100% of the time. The difference is rarely always clear cut, and it often depends on the nature of what it's going to interact with/come out from.

Quick example: blood. We have blood spurts coming out from characters that get hurt, and bloodstains projected on the environment after you kill them. The blood spurts, coming from the characters, should be pixelated to look right. Bloodstains, instead, become part of the environment, so they should be "realistic". Same for effects like flames or explosions, who can have both sprites or 3D models as their source. What's the best choice? Hard to tell, but one eventually needs to be made, and often you need to see the results in practice to make sure you're going on the right path.

Top Bottom