• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dudebro II in-game screenshots finally released, shit just got fucked up!

Leonsito

Psykotik said:
environment = proper shadows
characters = round shadows
boxes/barrles = no shadows

are the shadows still WIP?

Yes, environment is lightmapped, realtime shadows hasn't been added atm.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Chinner said:
this is just as bad as that HURR PIRATES VS NINJAS shit.
Got a link?

Kulock said:
Detailed sprites in a polygonal world, haven't seen that in a while. Interesting look, cool.
The sprites are lit in real time together with the environment, by the way.

SovanJedi said:
Good job guys, everything is looking fantabbydooby! The community as a whole will get this done before we know it.

Sorry I've been AWOL (YET AGAIIINNNN), work has been soaking up all my time. :<
We can't wait to have you back :D

Psykotik said:
environment = proper shadows
characters = round shadows
boxes/barrles = no shadows

are the shadows still WIP?
Yes.
Environment shadows are pre-baked, we resorted to blobs because the free version of Unity sadly doesn't support real time shadows (and making them out of sprites wouldn't have been easy anyway).
About the boxes/barrels (and, in general, non-static props), it's going to depend on the performance we can get.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KevinCow said:
The sprites look kinda... stiff. I can only imagine them animating like robots.
Yeah, that's one of the things I meant with placeholder assets. Enemy animation frames still need work, but will improve. Sovan is one awesome fella.

Great work.
I'm sorry I couldn't drop in before,
work and the birth of my first daughter has been very demanding.
Also the models wouldn't open in my version of 3ds max and to top it of I had trouble working with the google wave and haven't followed since.

However,
I'de very much like to help the cause.
As stated before my animation-education is exclusively 2d, so the jump to sprites gives is something I could lend a hand in.
I have no experience in creating pixel-art however.
Also if you need more concept artists,
I would also be glad to help.

At the moment I don't have a online portfolio.
But I could link to some old picks and some badly uplauded youtube movies from in "dem days".

I seriously thought the project died out a couple of months ago.
You can't believe how excited I am to hear you're still going strong.

Wow, good work here. Going with 2D sprites was a fantastic decision that really helps the game define a unique visual style for itself.

If I may make a suggestion, though: Dudebro's palette. It took me a moment to realize he wasn't just shirtless and bald. Perhaps making his jacket and beret a slightly more pea green color? Or, really, anything besides the fleshtone sort of tan color you have.

Mik2121

Metroid Killer said:
Looking really great guys!

Is a 2011 release realistic?
It depends on who can we get to help us. I started doing the environment during the couple first months after the project started but I've been very busy this last year with school (my last year, had to get a project done) and not many people has been able to help us, and the ones who did ended up doing only a couple things and then leaving.

Now when I see some of the environments I just feel a bit embarrassed though :p I can do so much better now.. so once I finish the stuff I'm with, I'll be working on this again.

So yeah, we need more people that can do 3D environments!! :)

looks great!

Sega1991 said:
Wow, good work here. Going with 2D sprites was a fantastic decision that really helps the game define a unique visual style for itself.

If I may make a suggestion, though: Dudebro's palette. It took me a moment to realize he wasn't just shirtless and bald. Perhaps making his jacket and beret a slightly more pea green color? Or, really, anything besides the fleshtone sort of tan color you have.

I agree with this. I thought he was shirtless at first.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Totally diggin on the sprites! Though I guess I'm out of the loop, I always thought this was gonna be an XNA game?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
djtiesto said:
Totally diggin on the sprites! Though I guess I'm out of the loop, I always thought this was gonna be an XNA game?

Pretty sure you dreamed that.

feel

Great stuff!! I wasn't feeling it before when it was gonna be 3d models, it didn't really make the art concepts justice. Please release on xbox indie games.

The sprites look pretty cool, but I'd have to see them animated to really get a feel of em; As someone else said earlier, they look like they could potentially be very stiff.

Crisis

Banned
Chinner said:
this is just as bad as that HURR PIRATES VS NINJAS shit.

Chinner, I usually like you. And you're a pretty cool dude sometimes. But if you're not just trolling for lulz, you're dead to me.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jocchan said:

I'd love this too. We need to focus on finishing the game first, but I'd love to port it to every platform under the sun. Luckily, Unity allows this.
Unluckily, the license fees are a bigger problem. But we'll evaluate the best way to act when the moment comes :)
Wii Retail ??

but if XBLIG I will purchase +1 from me :D

Top Bottom