• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dudebro II in-game screenshots finally released, shit just got fucked up!

luffeN

Chinner has delivered the only response what most of GAF would say if the game wasn't made by "GAF" itself :p Like "attack of the clone wars in the first screen?" or "is this speedtree lite or what?" etc. etc. ;)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For some reason it reminds me of 'Chaos engine'. Maybe it is the slightly steam punk looking guns in the HUD.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!

I'm so sorry Jocchan. I completely forgot about the project after I started Dinosaur News Center. I got your e-mail months ago about the forums but I forgot and never signed up. I'm sure you don't need anyone to design levels by now, but you guys still need beta testers? Again, I'm so sorry I forgot about it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Animation-Imp said:
Great work.
I'm sorry I couldn't drop in before,
work and the birth of my first daughter has been very demanding.
Also the models wouldn't open in my version of 3ds max and to top it of I had trouble working with the google wave and haven't followed since.

However,
I'de very much like to help the cause.
As stated before my animation-education is exclusively 2d, so the jump to sprites gives is something I could lend a hand in.
I have no experience in creating pixel-art however.
Also if you need more concept artists,
I would also be glad to help.

At the moment I don't have a online portfolio.
But I could link to some old picks and some badly uplauded youtube movies from in "dem days".

I seriously thought the project died out a couple of months ago.
You can't believe how excited I am to hear you're still going strong.
With the switch to sprites being quite recent, it's the type of help we need most.
Sending you a PM in a bit :)

Sega1991 said:
Wow, good work here. Going with 2D sprites was a fantastic decision that really helps the game define a unique visual style for itself.

If I may make a suggestion, though: Dudebro's palette. It took me a moment to realize he wasn't just shirtless and bald. Perhaps making his jacket and beret a slightly more pea green color? Or, really, anything besides the fleshtone sort of tan color you have.
If you're talking about the first screen, the light coming from the flames might be the main reason. What about the other pics?

Pietepiet said:
Love the sprites. Got anything animated to show? :)
Yeah, but it may be a bit early to show it publicly. Getting some footage out is currently our priority, though.

Willy105 said:
Who's doing the music?
A LOT of people!

banKai said:
Chinner has delivered the only response what most of GAF would say if the game wasn't made by "GAF" itself :p Like "attack of the clone wars in the first screen?" or "is this speedtree lite or what?" etc. etc. ;)
It wasn't Chinner who said that! Chinner was his usual lovely self in another post <3

But, anyway, of course we're not making Crysis. Or resources are limited, we rely on volunteer work, and I hope it's understandable if we're not going all out for the cutting edge. We wouldn't even be able to show screenhots today if we did.

That said, I really appreciate truly honest opinions. They're the best feedback we can hope to get.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I love the beer. Is that his health bar? It looks awesome though.
No, beer is used for a special attack
(a devastating belch)
:)

Cow Mengde said:
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!

I'm so sorry Jocchan. I completely forgot about the project after I started Dinosaur News Center. I got your e-mail months ago about the forums but I forgot and never signed up. I'm sure you don't need anyone to design levels by now, but you guys still need beta testers? Again, I'm so sorry I forgot about it.
Sending you a PM in a bit too.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Kind of a weird mix with 2d characters and a 3d world seen from above with a lot of shooting IMO. Hope the perspective and 2d/3d graphics doesn't mess with the percieved hit detection when playing the game. And since you're halfway to 2d only, ever considered going ALL the way? ;)

Jocchan said:
If you're talking about the first screen, the light coming from the flames might be the main reason. What about the other pics?

No, it was all of the pics. It wasn't until I stopped and remembered the Dudebro character art that was going around ages ago that it dawned on me what his outfit originally was in that.

2i75mgz.png
se6fcz.png
2a4v15f.png

I mean, it's a minor detail at best, I just think it would make the character easier to read visually.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I NEED SCISSORS said:
needs some AA
Whoops, missed this. I agree.
The screenshots were taken with default web player settings. Unity does support AA, though.

Sega1991 said:
No, it was all of the pics. It wasn't until I stopped and remembered the Dudebro character art that was going around ages ago that it dawned on me what his outfit originally was in that.

2i75mgz.png
se6fcz.png
2a4v15f.png

I mean, it's a minor detail at best, I just think it would make the character easier to read visually.
I see.
I'd rather keep the usual color scheme, so maybe we'll just make the shades a little bit darker.
Thanks for bringing this up :)

oracrest

Jocchan said:
Whoops, missed this. I agree.
The screenshots were taken with default web player settings. Unity does support AA, though.

I see.
I'd rather keep the usual color scheme, so maybe we'll just make the shades a little bit darker.
Thanks for bringing this up :)

If you show a larger image of dudebro (like at the title screen), so the player sees that he is wearing the shirt and hat, they should then read the sprite correctly when looking at it ingame.

so1337

citizenkaneclap.gif

This is a work of beauty. Well done. I haven't been in touch with you guys in a long time now. Studying animation has been keeping me busy these past months. I hope I'll be able to make some time for Dudebro in the future, maybe even contribute some sprite animation?

whitehawk

Banned
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Can't wait to see the project finally released, but we still have a lot of work ahead of us.

lol at all the port begging in this thread... it's been taking forever just to get the PC version out, and you think there's time for versions on other platforms?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Still regretting my role in this whole affair.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kiriku said:
Kind of a weird mix with 2d characters and a 3d world seen from above with a lot of shooting IMO. Hope the perspective and 2d/3d graphics doesn't mess with the percieved hit detection when playing the game. And since you're halfway to 2d only, ever considered going ALL the way? ;)
Yeah, mixing 2D and 3D is not as easy as it sounds. We had to work heavily on the camera settings (coordinates, angle, field of view) to make sure sprites always facing the camera (to avoid weird distortions and a cardboard cutout effect) didn't look off with the game world, especially when closer to the screen edges.

Took some time, and several attempts.

Hit detection isn't really a problem: the sprites are actually flat polygons attached to an invisible 3D collider. So, even though we need to be a bit more careful not to have, for example, the characters' heads clip into walls* because they're not perfectly vertical, everything works as expected.

About going completely 2D, yeah. We thought about that. But it would have meant throwing away all the work done with 3D environments and restarting from scratch.
And, especially with this kind of project, such a choice often means big trouble. One could object we're still throwing away 3D characters/weapons and starting them from scratch. Well, this isn't the case. At least some of them are still planned to be used, although differently :)

*) A few days ago I was coincidentally watching my gf play Rabbids Go Home. When I saw a 2D smoke puff icon placed next to a player-controlled model (and angled to face the camera) accidentally clip into a nearby wall, I chuckled. It felt so familiar.

cuyahoga said:
Still regretting my role in this whole affair.
I know that, deep down inside, you're not <3

cooljeanius said:
lol at all the port begging in this thread... it's been taking forever just to get the PC version out, and you think there's time for versions on other platforms?

Personally I think it would be right at home on XBox Live Indie Arcade, if only because the 360 is Dudebro central (not to take a stab at the system, mind you), and the logo would be included in the cover art for maximum parody.

On that note, it's a little surprising that it's going to be a 2d game, because 3d is considered, well, more brodacious I guess. Not that I mind, of course.

BTW, funny this came up, since Jon St. John answered a question someone else asked about what Dudebro was on his Facebook.

cartman414 said:
On that note, it's a little surprising that it's going to be a 2d game, because 3d is considered, well, more brodacious I guess. Not that I mind, of course.
I agree, I personally know a lot of real-life dudebros that refuse to play anything 2D/sprite-based because 3D is "more advanced" (Personally I like the sprites, just thinking as a dudebro here) or something. Unfortunately sticking with fully 3D graphics wasn't an option...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Hahaha, thats even more awesome now.

I would love to help again in some form, I have lot of work, but this project is so awesome that I would love to help a little bit more, even if its a little in my small free time.
Please, do :)

cartman414 said:
BTW, funny this came up, since Jon St. John answered a question someone else asked about what Dudebro was on his Facebook.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PrDBWPtcNQ#t=19m24s
JSJ is awesome :)

MisterHero

It looks like you got the game running so that's great. :)

Personally I'm not too crazy about the sprites (in a 3D environment at least)*, though if they are fluid animations it should work.

The one other gripe I have is that I can't tell if Dudebro is in his idle pose or his firing pose in any of the shots.

*I almost want to see what you guys can do with isometric 2D maps

Teknoman

Still cant believe you guys got Jon St. John to do the voice. Not sure who is doing the music...but if you guys could get Virt or Simon Viklund to do the soundtrack...that would just be insane.

soultron

Banned
Glad to see the snow level (Brolar Bear?) is still in there! Nice to see Mik's medals in there too!

The move to sprites looks SO AWESOME!

Az

Are we going to see ninja-pirates in the game??

But seriously looking forward to this. Amazing idea.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Very nice, glad to see you guys are still making progress. The decision to go with sprites was a wise one, it looks great.

I'm looking forward to playing this, and I'll gladly pay/donate money for it.

MNC

Diablohead said:
gunbros copied dudebro
believe!
I love dudebro so much more than gunbros, but a friend has been playing gunbros nonstop and since this is a 'twinstick' shooter as well as a sort the connection was made (And the bro part lol)

Sprite based looks really good. And I it's an amazing team effort that this actually came through.

kamspy

1. What DirectX11 features will Dudebro 2 be showcasing?

2. Will DB2 support hardware PhysX?

3. Will Nolan North be voicing the last boss?

4. When will the Hans Zimmer composed opening theme be released to the public?

5. I don't have a Sandy Bridge CPU or a 580GTX SLI video solution. Will I be able to play at a decent frame rate?

Top Bottom