• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dudebro II in-game screenshots finally released, shit just got fucked up!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Press Release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GRIMOIRE ASSEMBLY FORGE RELEASES FIRST IN-GAME SCREENSHOTS OF
DUDEBRO™ II SHOWING NEW ART DIRECTION, LOOKS TO EXPAND TEAM

CLEVELAND (FEB. 17, 2011) — Grimoire Assembly Forge has released three in-game screenshots of their upcoming top-down shooter, Dudebro™ — My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It’s Straight-Up Dawg Time.

These images highlight a major shift in art direction, with the switch from 3D models to 2D sprites for the characters. According to Andrea Nicolò, Creative Director on Dudebro™ II, “We believe that sprites not only play more to the strengths of our development team, but they also give the game more personality and better suit the mix of retro and modern styles we are going for.”

According to Sil Demmer, Producer on Dudebro™ II, “When we first started, people came out of the woodwork to cheer us on, support us, and help us out. For a while there, we were having trouble figuring out what to do with all that help. A few months later, and the realities of life have settled in. Many of our most vital team members have had personal, school, or work issues to prevent them from continuing to work on the project. While we continue to build on the foundation of their hard work and march on to our goal of creating a great game, we are now looking for contributors in several key roles. If anyone out there feels they have the talent and the guts to lend a hand, please check the Join Us page on the Dudebro™ II website.”

Dudebro™ II follows the exploits of elite soldiers John Dudebro™ and his sidekick Habemus Chicken as they chase anyone who threatens the world’s brodiocity. Featuring the vocal talents of Jon St. John, the legendary voice actor of Duke Nukem*, Dudebro™ II both parodies and pays homage to the game industry as a whole.

The game is built on the Unity 3D engine and will be playable within any PC or Mac Internet browser compatible with the Unity3D Web Player plugin.

*Duke Nukem is a registered trademark of Gearbox Software, LLC.

dudebro2_01.jpg

dudebro2_02.jpg

dudebro2_03.jpg

[Nintex]

The new style looks great I've also messed around with Unity recently a great way to learn how to make games once you get the hang of it.

Rich!

Oh wow

I remember being there, in the Babyz thread when this started. It looks incredible now. good job, team bro.

_Bro

Banned
holy shit, i remember way back when this was just a small box shooter with barrels.

Looks great, digging the art style.

Every time I hear Jon St. John is on board I feel radicalized.

Thats REALLY great guys.
And you used my design for the buckviper gun at the end, awesome!

Sorry for not elping much more, would have loved, but college and rwork is a pain in the ass.

zon

Hey I was wondering how things were going with this yesterday, cool to see in game screenshots so soon afterwards. Puts my doubts to rest.

Shito

SmokyDave said:
As a connoisseur of fine pints, I wish to give my congratulations on the HUD, it looks great.
Yeah, haven't been keeping up with your progress so far, guys, but I must say this HUD shows some really nice pixels!

McNum

Now I haven't been following Dudebro that much, but that grayed out gun in the screenshot, does it have a snake wrapped around it? That's pretty awesome.

raphier

Banned
I love, love, love,love,love,love,love 2D so much and I believe you've made the best decision yet. It looks good.

rSpooky

McNum said:
Now I haven't been following Dudebro that much, but that grayed out gun in the screenshot, does it have a snake wrapped around it? That's pretty awesome.
Well yes.. yes it does.. in fact it's mouth is one off the barrels..

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks everyone, you're too kind :D

The HUD was actually worked on by six different people
(TheOneGuy, Tyrant_Onion, aristotle, EarthPainting, SovanJedi and myself)
I admit I like quite a lot how it turned out.

I'm glad you seem to appreciate the switch to sprites. I was honestly quite nervous about how this choice would have been received. It was ponderated for quite a bit before the final greenlight, and I'm glad it ended up paying off.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Thats REALLY great guys.
And you used my design for the buckviper gun at the end, awesome!

Sorry for not elping much more, would have loved, but college and rwork is a pain in the ass.
It had a few small tweaks, but it was too badass not to use it :)

_Bro said:
holy shit, i remember way back when this was just a small box shooter with barrels.

Looks great, digging the art style.

Every time I hear Jon St. John is on board I feel radicalized.
Haha, good times!
And I still can't believe myself JSJ is voicing Dudebro.

zon said:
Hey I was wondering how things were going with this yesterday, cool to see in game screenshots so soon afterwards. Puts my doubts to rest.
As you can read from the PR, we had a fair share of issues. After the initial enthusiasm, many team members - including some key ones - left. Each for his own personal reasons, of course. Working on a game eats up a lot of time, I sure know it, and when you're doing it for free there are many things in life with bigger priority. So, things unavoidably slowed down, since the project was sized taking into account a larger number of participants. But we still have a very determined group of people working, so this didn't affect the project as a whole. Hopefully, with some more help, we'll be able to speed up again. There's still a lot of work left to do.

Ogrekiller said:
Can't you tighten up the graphics in the third screenshot?
Actually, several elements in all three screenshots are placeholder and will improve :)

Cyntec said:
now wait: there's an actual game with Dudebro? the hell... :lol:
Yep!

rSpooky

Cyntec said:
now wait: there's an actual game with Dudebro? the hell... :lol:
You didnt think we were serious , did you ?
Yes.. yes we are still alive and moving forward.. you know.. Believe!

I think the sprites work a ton better then using models, easier then rigging and all that too.

*feels bad about not helping with the 3d assets for a long time*

MacBosse

Hang on, let me take off my NeoGaf glasses.

Bland enviroments, blob shadows, lame character design, attack of the clones, lack of AA hurts my eyes, and jesus ... haven't we got enough of shooters with boxes and explosive barrels in them?

Am I doing this wrong? ... I'm going to get banned.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

wwm0nkey said:
I demand a XBLIG release!
I'd love this too. We need to focus on finishing the game first, but I'd love to port it to every platform under the sun. Luckily, Unity allows this.
Unluckily, the license fees are a bigger problem. But we'll evaluate the best way to act when the moment comes :)

MacBosse said:
Hang on, let me take off my NeoGaf glasses.

Bland enviroments, blob shadows, lame character design, attack of the clones, lack of AA hurts my eyes, and jesus ... haven't we got enough of shooters with boxes and explosive barrels in them?

Am I doing this wrong? ... I'm going to get banned.
Wait, are you taking them off or putting them on? ;)
You forgot crates btw. LOTS of them, and all empty for some reason.

wwm0nkey

Jocchan said:

I'd love this too. We need to focus on finishing the game first, but I'd love to port it to every platform under the sun. Luckily, Unity allows this.
Unluckily, the license fees are a bigger problem. But we'll evaluate the best way to act when the moment comes :)

Wait, are you taking them off or putting them on? ;)
You forgot crates btw. LOTS of them, and all empty for some reason.
awesome. Keep up the good work guys :D

Cyntec

rSpooky said:
You didnt think we were serious , did you ?
Yes.. yes we are still alive and moving forward.. you know.. Believe!

Don't say "believe". It always makes me remember at the Phantom-console's slogan, and we all know where this went to.

But well, can't wait to get my hands on the dude... I mean, like playing with him... damn, I better stop talking now :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Good job guys, everything is looking fantabbydooby! The community as a whole will get this done before we know it.

Sorry I've been AWOL (YET AGAIIINNNN), work has been soaking up all my time. :<

Psykotik

environment = proper shadows
characters = round shadows
boxes/barrles = no shadows

are the shadows still WIP?

Top Bottom