• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First English Persona 5 Gameplay Livestream on Nov. 16

As soon as the chat opens people will just post any and all spoilers they can.

They really should of worked out a simultaneous launch for this game.
Or at least close.
5 months is just absurd and basically asking trolls to spoil everything.
Pretty much this.
Some assholes on twitter posted spoiler images while I was scrolling down and was pissed about what I saw. Hopefully Persona 6 or 7 handles this better.

I have my fingers crossed that we'll at least get some kind of answer on Dual Audio or the repeated absence of it at some point during the 3 hour long stream.

I've been playing through Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and was let down by its English Dub considering Atlus' past quality in the area (P3, P4, Spinoffs), thankfully it has Dual Audio and I can enjoy it more using the sub option. Because of this, I really hope Persona 5 has either Dual Audio or the VA has improved from what we've seen in the teasers.

And like has been mentioned here before, the only thing that's getting old is the continued absence of a Sub option, and it's something that people will only appreciate having.

I have my fingers crossed that we'll at least get some kind of answer on Dual Audio or the repeated absence of it at some point during the 3 hour long stream.

I've been playing through Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and was let down by its English Dub considering Atlus' past quality in the area (P3, P4, Spinoffs), thankfully it has Dual Audio and I can enjoy it more using the sub option. Because of this, I really hope Persona 5 has either Dual Audio or the VA has improved from what we've seen in the teasers.

And like has been mentioned here before, the only thing that's getting old is the continued absence of a Sub option, and it's something that people will only appreciate having.

Doubt this as John Hardin confirmed recently that we're still looking at English dub only. Game still looking good and one benefit of the stream is hearing more from the English dub because it's unfair to judge on a few snippets of dialogue.

firelogic

I played Persona 4 Golden and thought the English dub was pretty great overall. Really from the main cast, Naoto was the only weak one in the delivery. I even liked Chie, the most hated voice in the game by most.

Doubt this as John Hardin confirmed recently that we're still looking at English dub only. Game still looking good and one benefit of the stream is hearing more from the English dub because it's unfair to judge on a few snippets of dialogue.

If you could give me a source on that confirmation it'd be most appreciated. Last I read, they were looking into the possibility of Dual Audio DLC.

I hope that things sound better during actual gameplay than they have in the teasers, but I guess we'll see.

SoulUnison

Banned
High bar? Persona 3 and 4 had very average VA work. Some standouts, some average/mediocre, and some shit performances.

For niche JRPGs pulling mostly from animation voice talent pools, yes, they were pretty much the high water mark for localization and VA.

Yaari

If you could give me a source on that confirmation it'd be most appreciated. Last I read, they were looking into the possibility of Dual Audio DLC.

I hope that things sound better during actual gameplay than they have in the teasers, but I guess we'll see.

I know retail game includes English dub only and all that has been said about it outside of that (as far as I know) is this tweet

dad60630cfd6a5bdaa8c998c53874acf.png

It's from 5 months ago and I'd like to know if anything has changed since then. I don't think they've said anything about it after the tweet from back in June.

From what we've seen there's reason to worry that P5 might not live up to the high localization bar that P3 and P4 set.

I guess people forget how awkward the deliveries of Vanilla Fuuka, Ken, and Chie were. Like seriously, we've only been dropped like what, a couple of minute long videos with out of context lines and people are bitching about it not meeting a standard.

From what we've seen there's reason to worry that P5 might not live up to the high localization bar that P3 and P4 set.
Huh. I wasn't aware that P5's dub was bad so far. Then again, it might be that we've only seen minutes of it and not long gameplay previews. Also, I think it's just fine. I like what I'm hearing so far and it's nice to be able to hear newer actors besides Troy Baker, Johnny Yong Bosch and Laura Bailey.

Still REALLY salty that she didn't voice Rise in Dancing All Night.

Back to the topic, I think we scared altusprime away. Oops.

JayEH

High bar? Persona 3 and 4 had very average VA work. Some standouts, some average/mediocre, and some shit performances.

Yeah that's how I feel. Never really saw it as some standout in the JRPG dub department.

I prefer JP audio but not going to be too upset over a lack of it. I'll pay for it if they put it up but I just want the game.

Anyway, not sure if I want to watch yet or not. I've kinda already regret watching all the trailers they've put out so far. Game is so close might as well wait a couple more months.

I think 2-3 hrs. Early part of the game, so no major story stuff.

I'd uh...I'd advise ignoring chat though, since people already love posting game spoilers in our YT trailers.
Those are the same people who keep saying they're gonna pirate the PS3 version and undub it.

Nice, I'll probsbly manage to be there. And yeah, I never bother with chat anyways, but thanks for the heads up.

I know retail game includes English dub only and all that has been said about it outside of that (as far as I know) is this tweet

dad60630cfd6a5bdaa8c998c53874acf.png

It's from 5 months ago and I'd like to know if anything has changed since then. I don't think they've said anything about it after the tweet from back in June.

Phones playing up but it's 6 Nov where he answers a question that the status hasn't changed since the last time it was discussed.

dan2026

I don't understand why they imply getting Japanese audio is this herculean task.
Most other studios seem to do it without fuss.

I agree that the snide response to Hardin in that tweet is the wrong tact though.
You gotta be polite, even if you are frustrated.

I don't understand why they imply getting Japanese audio is this herculean task.
Most other studios seem to do it without fuss.

Even smaller ones manage to do it. It's a shame Atlus USA gets all the crap for this when it's obvious the problem comes from Japan. I don't envy John at all. Heck I'm sure he'd like to please everyone. Truth is, Atlus USA seems to depends a lot on Atlus Japan... Which seems to be stuck 20 years ago.

Attitudes like that guy in that thread is why I find it hard to sympathize sometimes with people who want dual audio.

I can understand not liking how some people go about it - that thread, case in point - but it's also easy to understand the cynicism people like him have when so many smaller companies can achieve Dual Audio.

No logical person is outright against the inclusion of Dual Audio on its own; they're against the people who ask for it the wrong way.

It's a welcome feature that adds nothing but value to the game, from my point of view.

I can understand not liking how some people go about it - that thread, case in point - but it's also easy to understand the cynicism people like him have when so many smaller companies can achieve Dual Audio.

Nobody is outright against the inclusion of Dual Audio on its own; they're against the people who ask for it the wrong way.

It's a welcome feature that adds nothing but value to the game, from my point of view.

While the last part is technically true i can't help but be hostile against people who shit up English Version threads with Japanese begging. It's like port-begging but infinitely more annoying.

Seems Atlus would be better off not letting anyone hear the dub until release, judging by all the salt in this thread, damn.

It's gonna be ok.

Nobody is outright against the inclusion of Dual Audio on its own; they're against the people who ask for it the wrong way.

Oh I agree, but I just have a hard time sympathizing to the "Why won't you cater to me" crowd that go out of their way to act like jerks to the company.

While the last part is technically true i can't help but be hostile against people who shit up English Version threads with Japanese begging. It's like port-begging but infinitely more annoying.

I'd say the comparison to port begging is rather inaccurate.

Port Begging is largely pointless most of the time as ports can take quite a bit more work depending on the differences between the platforms and their architectures.

Asking for Dual Audio is a much more reasonable request, comparatively, as niche developers have been able to achieve Dual Audio for almost all - if not all - of their titles, and in the case of Persona 5, the Japanese language track is already complete.

If nothing else, this would at least explain the abundance of requests for Dual Audio in Atlus threads.

Oh I agree, but I just have a hard time sympathizing to the "Why won't you cater to me" crowd that go out of their way to act like jerks to the company.

Of course, nobody likes jerks that act like that, but the question itself: "Why won't you cater to people who want this?" is a valid one to ask considering the industry and niche that Atlus finds itself in.

It isn't really comparable when the lack of Japanese audio is essentially cut/removed content from the product, as opposed to people demanding additional features or platforms are added.

Glad there's no dual audio. Give me that sweet, sweet English dub, Atlus. Excited to finally see the game in full glorious English.

Glad there's no dual audio. Give me that sweet, sweet English dub, Atlus. Excited to finally see the game in full glorious English.

Much like people don't understand others who go about asking for Dual Audio the wrong way - ie: Like Jerks - I will never understand why people go out of their way to discount the inclusion of it based on their non-need of it.

Good for you, you don't need it. Why ruin it for people who do want it just because you don't plan on using it?

I...what? Why would English only be preferred over dual audio?

Exactly.

muteki

Every time we have this discussion someone shows up and states just that. Every game that has only one language or the other.

Much like people don't understand others who go about asking for Dual Audio the wrong way - ie: Like Jerks - I will never understand why people go out of their way to discount the inclusion of it based on their non-need of it.

Good for you, you don't need it. Why ruin it for people who do want it just because you don't plan on using it?

Spite i guess. Metal Gear Rising was right when it told me that violence breeds violence, or in this case, it's social media equivalent.

Better to pull the plaster off now, surely...

I feel this exact scenario would've happened with P3 and P4's dubs if as many people had played the Japanese versions before hand. I didn't hear a line of dialogue in either language from those games until I played them for the first time and was allowed to digest the English dub naturally.

AsakuraZ

Excited to watch a little of the stream, I don't want to spoil too much of the game for myself.

On the topic of dual-audio, which is where this thread as delved into, I appreciate the idea if the company can do it, but its not the end of the world for me and most certainly is not a buy/no buy requirement.

I enjoy playing games with the JP VO or watching shows, but at the same time, I really appreciate the amount of effort put into the localization process, to include US VO in the game and I want to give it a fair chance.

AsakuraZ

Reminder that the stream starts in 30 mins.

Also if you value the game and don't want it spoiled, its heavily recommended you close the chat on twitch.

Reminder that the stream starts in 30 mins.

Also if you value the game and don't want it spoiled, its heavily recommended you close the chat on twitch.

There's an option in security that lets you block whispers and such.

Block @freddiemercurio1 for good measure. He sends out spoilers

Mediking

MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS! THIS IS IT! LOOK AWAY FROM SPOILERS BUT STAY FOR THE GIVEAWAYS AND PERSONA FANDOM, BABY!

Top Bottom