• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First English Persona 5 Gameplay Livestream on Nov. 16

I've seen people shit up a thread for a game since it's announcement because the developers only do 30fps. Save me pro in every thread. But the line is drawn because people want a sub as well. I don't really get that. Should be allowed to voice opinions on that. Not a single soul says anything when ffxv dub gets hammered on.
Just my worthless opinion of course

It's not ban worthy is it?

dan2026

True enough, think we should have own thread for this much like Blazblue people made for the missing English dub in latest game.
Urging people to send them email or contact through http://atlus.com/contact/ ( service@atlus.com. ) is probably more efficient than brooding over it here.

I would be happy with a separate thread where we could just discuss it.

I feel quite strongly about this and don't want to just 'get over it' and drop it.
I feel like I should be able to voice my opinion.

I will email them though.

I've seen people shit up a thread for a game since it's announcement because the developers only do 30fps. Save me pro in every thread. But the line is drawn because people want a sub as well. I don't really get that. Should be allowed to voice opinions on that. Not a single soul says anything when ffxv dub gets hammered on.
Do you mean like no one gets mad at the people who constantly mock the English dub of XV? Cause many do but it's completely drowned out by the people complaining about the dub.

But that's not what's important here.

Is there any indication how long the stream could last? I'm interested in watching, but the 16th is a really busy day for me, might watch a bit on and off.

Tohsaka

I feel quite strongly about this and don't want to just 'get over it' and drop it.

Yeah, I've already e-mailed them about it. Don't want to bother complaining about it on here anymore though since it's pointless and we already have an atlus rep here who has seen it as well. I'll just be buying the PS3 version and undubbing it since the PS4 version isn't much better from what I've seen other than 1080p vs 720p.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I've never seen people take the absence of a dub in a video game so seriously as I have on GAF, as well as this game in particular.

Jesus Lord.

OT: Excited for the stream Atlus!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

What would a separate thread even accomplish?

It would basically just be "Whining |OT|".

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Is there any indication how long the stream could last? I'm interested in watching, but the 16th is a really busy day for me, might watch a bit on and off.

I think 2-3 hrs. Early part of the game, so no major story stuff.

I'd uh...I'd advise ignoring chat though, since people already love posting game spoilers in our YT trailers.
Those are the same people who keep saying they're gonna pirate the PS3 version and undub it.

I've never seen people take the absence of a dub in a video game so seriously as I have on GAF, as well as this game in particular.

Jesus Lord.

OT: Excited for the stream Atlus!
Ppl made a petition for blazblue and people making a stink about it is the reason the atelier series continues to do dub and sub no matter what. I agree not the thread tho.

Excited to finally see some long English gameplay.

Yaari

I'll keep voicing my disappointment about the lack of dual audio. If you don't like reading that, I'm sorry. But I'm bothered with the fact that Atlus cuts these things out of their games while everyone else manages to make it happen.

I'm not on a hate parade and I've given plenty of praise to their English dub too. I think it sounds great and they have some great people in on it.

But yeah, I'm not going to stop talking about it. It's pretty important for me, and fortunately I'm not the only one.

dan2026

Ppl made a petition for blazblue and people making a stink about it is the reason the atelier series continues to do dub and sub no matter what. I agree not the thread tho.

Excited to finally see some long English gameplay.

Perhaps we should make a petition then.
I know people saying 'oh petitions don't work'.
But its clear that in some cases they do.

Nachos

At the very least, it'd be nice if we finally found out the results of the dual audio poll that got such an overwhelming response that it closed in a few hours.

I'd uh...I'd advise ignoring chat though, since people already love posting game spoilers in our YT trailers.
Those are the same people who keep saying they're gonna pirate the PS3 version and undub it.
Do you know where you'll be starting in the game? Right at the beginning, or some point later on?

The twitch chat is gonna be chock full of spoilers. My suggestion to anyone who wants to go in as blind, but still watch, is to turn that shit off.

Will it be archived for later, on Twitch or otherwise?

Squishy3

Just my worthless opinion of course

It's not ban worthy is it?
I think the difference is as an example in this very thread we have someone calling their pride in the dub cringeworthy as is the dub itself and to my knowledge the only footage we have of the dub is 40 second videos with a smattering of lines for 3 party members out of 9, let alone the other characters that are in the game. Of what is most likely a 60+ hour game.

If SMT4 Apocalypse is any indication, the dub for P5's going to be fine. I'm not arguing there shouldn't be a Japanese option available for people, but outright shitting on the dub when there's only a minute and 20 seconds of footage is ridiculous. They haven't even showcased a full conversation.

I'll keep voicing my disappointment about the lack of dual audio. If you don't like reading that, I'm sorry. But I'm bothered with the fact that Atlus cuts these things out of their games while everyone else manages to make it happen.

I'm not on a hate parade and I've given plenty of praise to their English dub too. I think it sounds great and they have some great people in on it.

But yeah, I'm not going to stop talking about it. It's pretty important for me, and fortunately I'm not the only one.
I don't think anyone's advocating to stop talking about it but rather instead repeating discontent about it and it being the only thing those people post about in the thread. There'd be no real discourse because it'd just be a back and forth of "Atlus should get off their high horse and give us a sub option" and people going "Okay then let them know that's what you want through tweets or emails and don't purchase the game until they cater to your interests."

Your post's a good post because you're getting involved in the greater discussion rather than just the "I want the Japanese voice option." Discussion should at least naturally broaden after this stream because we'll finally be able to have an English interpretation of the gameplay systems and even compare dialogue to the Japanese version and see how it's localized, which I always find very interesting.

kadotsu

Banned
What would a separate thread even accomplish?

It would basically just be "Whining |OT|".

What is it with pre-release and not wanting any friction for PR as an audience. I can understand it when you are part of the team. For companies like Atlus social media matters to an extent so the least people in dissent of their localization practices can do is to voice that opinion in a PR sensitive environment (in addition to opening a dialog with the company through the channels they provide of course).
The problem I have with a separate thread is that the party in dissent is no longer part of the greater discussion about the game but is forced into a loop in which they only communicate with people of the same opinion, thus losing any lobbying power.

This argument is of course overstating the importance of just neogaf but I stand behind the principle of it.

Matsukaze

I need Persona 5 so badly. Like, I know it's coming out in February but that feels like a lifetime away.

If it can top P4G, it's going to be my favorite game of all time.

Aeana

What is it with pre-release and not wanting any friction for PR as an audience. I can understand it when you are part of the team. For companies like Atlus social media matters to an extent so the least people in dissent of their localization practices can do is to voice that opinion in a PR sensitive environment (in addition to opening a dialog with the company through the channels they provide of course).
The problem I have with a separate thread is that the party in dissent is no longer part of the greater discussion about the game but is forced into a loop in which they only communicate with people of the same opinion, thus losing any lobbying power.

This argument is of course overstating the importance of just neogaf but I stand behind the principle of it.
I'm all for voicing your opinions, but I also want people to be able to have a discussion about this game without being overpowered by people shouting into the void. There are better places, better targets for your complaints than threads on this forum where people would like to maybe have the opportunity to talk about the game itself. The issue is that this discussion dominates every other. If you actually want to enact change and not just vent into the ether, then your effort is better spent communicating with those who can do something about it.

daevious

This is also the reason why the #FE OT had to include a "NO BITCHING ABOUT THIS GAME NOT BEING A PROPER CROSSOVER AND BEING ABOUT IDOLS" in it. It's not because it isn't a point worth bringing up, its that bring it up over and over again completely drowns out anything other discourse about the game that could happen otherwise.
At worst, it will actively cause people to hate that opinion just because everyone won't shut up about it.

Seems to be a lazy promotion. Will skip as I'm going with as little info but promotion for this game has been lacklustre so far. Atlus seems to give zero fucks about dual audio because it's basically a standard for most Japanese games that come out these day. Ah well, will wait for the English dub as I was a fan of p3&4 English dub.

Jb

Seems to be a lazy promotion.

What does this even mean?

I'm really interested in this stream precisely because we'll be able to hear the characters have actual conversations and not just soundbites like the trailer Atlus USA put out.

I was just thinking yesterday that Persona 5 coming out now would have been the perfect way to take a break from this week's terrifying news :(

Gonna repeat what I said in the Persona OT:

I've already seen most of the Japanese previews (and even a stream of the first few hours of the game >.>), so I'll probably only briefly tune into this. As this will be in English, I'll fully understand everything within the game previewed, and I feel I'm good not knowing anymore about the game than I already do.

At this point, I need the full game to finally be out.

Wow, sorry for the double post. Computer fuckery happened.

I was just thinking yesterday that Persona 5 coming out now would have been the perfect way to take a break from this week's terrifying news :(

The week's events have actually kind of made P5's main themes rather relevant to the West.

Who the hell really cares at this point though?

If you are interested in the game, chances are you have seen at least one of the streams Atlus JPN have put out or seen the gameplay clips.

The Japanese version of Persona 5 basically doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I've blocked it on all levels.

So, me. I care.

StereoVsn

If you are trying to argue that people shit up threads in other ways so you should be able to do it too, that isn't going to get you anywhere.
We should be able to speak about the dub quality though and VA direction. As an example there was a decent amount of discussion around that during PC FFXIII threads.

Mediking

I'M READY!

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_8eyjyvp7bk4kc0ow8coogc8cg_640.gif

dan2026

As soon as the chat opens people will just post any and all spoilers they can.

They really should of worked out a simultaneous launch for this game.
Or at least close.
5 months is just absurd and basically asking trolls to spoil everything.

Squire

Banned
This is also the reason why the #FE OT had to include a "NO BITCHING ABOUT THIS GAME NOT BEING A PROPER CROSSOVER AND BEING ABOUT IDOLS" in it. It's not because it isn't a point worth bringing up, its that bring it up over and over again completely drowns out anything other discourse about the game that could happen otherwise.
At worst, it will actively cause people to hate that opinion just because everyone won't shut up about it.

I'm hoping a similar disclaimer is in the English OT for P5, now that you've mentioned it.

Nachos

We should be able to speak about the dub quality though and VA direction. As an example there was a decent amount of discussion around that during PC FFXIII threads.

I agree, but I think it'd be better to wait until after the stream. Atlus USA never redoes the mixes for their trailer voice over, so it always sounds worse than in the games themselves. They even used 3DS-compressed audio in some of their first PQ trailers, and those were for the battle lines, which had a much lower bit rate than the rest of the rest of the dialogue lines.

I think some parts of the dub sound rough (Anne especially), but some of the complaints people can make now, with so little to go off, might not have any bearing on the actual game.

Top Bottom