• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

kpaadet

You would think that releasing an uncompressed 1080p video file of already released video would be a formality, but I guess no big corp is without its share of bureaucracy.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
-Play video on your monitor
-Record with a camera off screen, add some shake
-Report it as "exclusive insider video from unnamed source"
-Profit

You missed one point:
- Get blacklisted right at the start of a console generation
And I guess quite a lot of points before "Profit" ;)

Seriously though, there is no such things as accidents when it comes to game videos. When I started xboxyde almost 10 years ago, publishers didn't give any crap about videos, we got many many "exclusive" stuff because simply no one cared enough to post them (even some halo 2 stuff, can you imagine that today?). Nowadays videos are all that matters, that and previews are the bread and butter of gaming sites.
Even if we are the only site in the world who actually cares about quality and not just numbers, giving us a 1080p video and telling the others it's the same thing as the 720p they posted on their facebook simply wouldn't work.
You may think we (as in Gamersyde, but also we as in GAF) actually matter to PR. But we don't, not even a bit, when it comes to such a things as these videos. Developers love GAF (and as far as I can tell also love my site), because they for the most part think like us, and are proud to show their work as they think it deserves to. But when it comes to helping sell their game, it's not going to make even the slightest bit of difference, and it's the only thing that matters to PR.

That is too bad...footage better be of the highest possible quality. :p

You can be certain it will be.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm not exactly sure why some people are giving Evolution a hard time about not releasing 1080p direct feed gameplay footage? Who does release 1080p gameplay footage? I'd like to see all the direct feed from Forza that apparently exists.

As far as I can tell, Ubisoft is the only company that releases high quality direct feed gameplay vids on a regular basis. And some complain that it's too much!

Ragnarok

Probably old, but those trees

i'd like to know where the people who were complaining about the foliage in Drive Club are now. It's weird that there were people like that to begin with, honestly. The foliage has always looked excellent in comparison to other games.

EmptySpace thinks evolution must be thrilled their game is constantly on the front page of gaf. evolution and san diego are sony's most underrated devs, EmptySpace says.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You missed one point:

Seriously though, there is no such things as accidents when it comes to game videos. When I started xboxyde almost 10 years ago, publishers didn't give any crap about videos, we got many many "exclusive" stuff because simply no one cared enough to post them (even some halo 2 stuff, can you imagine that today?). Nowadays videos are all that matters, that and previews are the bread and butter of gaming sites.
Even if we are the only site in the world who actually cares about quality and not just numbers, giving us a 1080p video and telling the others it's the same thing as the 720p they posted on their facebook simply wouldn't work.
You may think we (as in Gamersyde, but also we as in GAF) actually matter to PR. But we don't, not even a bit, when it comes to such a things as these videos. Developers love GAF (and as far as I can tell also love my site), because they for the most part think like us, and are proud to show their work as they think it deserves to. But when it comes to helping sell their game, it's not going to make even the slightest bit of difference, and it's the only thing that matters to PR.

Ah, thanks for the info...that is quite interesting. Yeah, PR can be a real crapshoot to deal with. :(

mr_nothin

Banned
Well at least we have a community guy here trying to fulfill requests of the community and keeping us updated on what's going on. Hell, he's even trying to get us uncompressed 1080p direct gameplay footage of the game! Wouldn't that be the 1st footage of it's kind from any next-gen console?

Skeff

Well at least we have a community guy here trying to fulfill requests of the community and keeping us updated on what's going on. Hell, he's even trying to get us uncompressed 1080p direct gameplay footage of the game! Wouldn't that be the 1st footage of it's kind from any next-gen console?

I *think* it would be the first yes, And from what I've read it seems like it's definitely happening but there are some PR hoops they've got to jump through to stop the bigger websites from kicking up a stink. It's great that Evolution are going to be putting out direct feed stuff due to a request on an internet message board.

Megasoum

Banned
So do we know anything about the actual structure of the game? Is it just what we saw in the E3/Gamescom demo?

I don't mind online challenges like speed trap, drift challenge, etc but I'm not really interested in a game that is solely about that. If you look at Forza Horizon for example those online challenges are there and it's great but that's not the reason I played that game to completion.

So is there more to it with Driveclub? I don't think there's free roam right?

It will still be a day one download noneteless on Nov 15 with the PS+ edition but I'm having a tough time really getting hyped by what I've seen so far.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So do we know anything about the actual structure of the game? Is it just what we saw in the E3/Gamescom demo?

I don't mind online challenges like speed trap, drift challenge, etc but I'm not really interested in a game that is solely about that. If you look at Forza Horizon for example those online challenges are there and it's great but that's not the reason I played that game to completion.

So is there more to it with Driveclub? I don't think there's free roam right?

It will still be a day one download noneteless on Nov 15 with the PS+ edition but I'm having a tough time really getting hyped by what I've seen so far.
I think all we know is that there is a singleplayer campaign called DRIVECLUB TOUR, as well as DRIVECLUB LIVE that has regular challenges from the devs.

Guymelef

Probably old, but those trees
1292938_510134449070920_1384623616_o.jpg

Text:
Every fir tree on every mountain is rendered in staggering detail. Every shadow cast is real. This isn't faked or baked or painted on. This is DRIVECLUB on #PS4.

The fact that it is nota a simulation is the very reason I want it.

If it was a sim I could care less.
Because we all know there's a severe shortage of arcade racers. Especially ones with nice open-worldish environments.

I'm always for the sim+assists model myself. And my dream is still for a true open world sim with gorgeous strips of road like what we're seeing here. Hopefully this next gen provides enough horsepower for somebody to give it a real shot.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I have a tough time watching in-car videos with these "springy arms". No one drives like that. I understand it's a representation of what's happening with the analog stick, but it just ends up looking so bad. I wish they could make it look more realistic.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Will the PS+ free version be up on the store on launch day?

Racer1977

I have a tough time watching in-car videos with these "springy arms". No one drives like that. I understand it's a representation of what's happening with the analog stick, but it just ends up looking so bad. I wish they could make it look more realistic.
There's a dash cam if realism is what you want.

spuit*11

Banned
Because we all know there's a severe shortage of arcade racers. Especially ones with nice open-worldish environments.

I'm always for the sim+assists model myself. And my dream is still for a true open world sim with gorgeous strips of road like what we're seeing here. Hopefully this next gen provides enough horsepower for somebody to give it a real shot.
You should get rFactor and try tracks like the Targa Florio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXf4_OrRe7E

A good half hour+ on the windy country roads of Sicily.

We'll never get anything like Grand Prix Legends' Targa Florio in next gen console racers :(

The biggest DriveClub course we've seen is 8.6km long, that was p2p, I fear the game won't have anything over 15km

Adam Rowley @Afternaut Driveclub (PS4) - Sound design, audio implementation, vehicle recording.

Somebody tweet him about the audio, I hope they've turned the shit music off in these videos we're getting...

You missed one point:

Oh wow. Thanks for the explanation. Well, I definitely love your site. I love it so much in fact, that I'm able to hold off watching trailers for games I'm interested in during press conferences, so that I can watch (download) them first on your site in glorious quality. Really makes a difference. Thanks again for your effort.

Perkel

Banned
Oh wow. Thanks for the explanation. Well, I definitely love your site. I love it so much in fact, that I'm able to hold off watching trailers for games I'm interested in during press conferences, so that I can watch (download) them first on your site in glorious quality. Really makes a difference. Thanks again for your effort.

Same situation here

MoneyHats

Banned
Every fir tree on every mountain is rendered in staggering detail. Every shadow cast is real. This isn't faked or baked or painted on. This is DRIVECLUB on #PS4

Dang it... I want to hate this game! But... that is simply... amazing!

Marketing is a powerful thing, the bold is something that ended with the PS2 where lighting, shadows were faked, baked or painted. This should be the norm for most games even last Gen. Dynamic GI is what's unique to Driveclub where the game adjust by time of day in real time, but shadows, lights and shadows work exactly the same way and have the same visual effect with a static light source. Its not like I'll be racing the same race for hours until sundown, imo I don't think its worth the trade-off of making the game 30fps, hopefully they change my mind after a first hands look

Let me try asking this again,

does anyone know if this game has some metropolitan city tracks? They seem to have only shown outdoor country tracks thus far which leads me to believe that is all the game will have.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Let me try asking this again,

does anyone know if this game has some metropolitan city tracks? They seem to have only shown outdoor country tracks thus far which leads me to believe that is all the game will have.

The initial reveal trailer looked like an outskirts track with some buildings. I don't think there will be a full on city track though. But that's just a guess.

Afrikan

You should get rFactor and try tracks like the Targa Florio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXf4_OrRe7E

A good half hour+ on the windy country roads of Sicily.

um....maybe I'm having a brain fart, but is there any other racer that has that Dash Cam?

man it seems realistic, its like your steering wheel, IS THE steering wheel.

I wonder if DriveClub add that cam with no steering wheel but, with you still being able to see the speedometer.

Top Bottom