• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

Rushy

Is there any car tuning in this game?

When you say you can get points for drifts / top speeds can we make basic changes like gear ratios or weight distribution? Or will certain cars be highlighted as better for those qualities?
Its all about choosing the right car for the right situation. We've tried to capture the real world characteristics of each car, so some will be naturally more biased towards drifting than others.

Rushy, there hasn't been any mention of it but stereoscopic 3D?
We're not going to have 3D support at launch.

Any city environments confirmed yet? Or is it all countryside? How many courses all together?
We'll be showing more of the environments in detail as we get closer to launch.

Rushy can we get confirmation that you guys are working on softening shadows a bit? They look way too harsh and crisp in cockpit view.
We're still working hard to polish the visuals as we head towards launch.

I just want know the difference between psn version and retail one.
The PSN and Retail versions are the same, the PS+ edition has fewer cars and tracks but that's all. We'll be announcing the numbers for comparison as we get closer to launch.

Oh well, It's a shame fellow GAFfers. Hope we can also have more information soon. Less than 3 months away from the release date. I want to know how much it costs upgrading the PS+ Version to the full version in €.

Also, something I may have missed, but, any info on the Game Modes?
Pricing details will be detailed before launch. And we've yet to go into detail about the game modes.

Is this a video of just one car on the track?
The 1080p videos are the same videos from Gamescom. We're going to putting a variety of videos out over the next few weeks/months.

On another note, never got an answer last time. Weren't there night footage coming after gamescom?
Night footage is coming soon.

So do we know anything about the actual structure of the game? Is it just what we saw in the E3/Gamescom demo?
There is a fully fledged single player mode called DRIVECLUB tour which will take many hours to play through.

Will the PS+ free version be up on the store on launch day?
Yep.

The biggest DriveClub course we've seen is 8.6km long, that was p2p, I fear the game won't have anything over 15km

Somebody tweet him about the audio, I hope they've turned the shit music off in these videos we're getting...
I'm not actually sure how long our longest track is, I'll try and find out.

And the 1080p videos will have the same audio as the Facebook videos. But we will be putting out a direct feed in the future which has the music turned off so to highlight the car audio :)

Is the 60 fps dream dead?

'no 3D support at launch' has me presuming that it is. not that I'm not going to at least give this a try without 60 fps or 3D of course. it says a lot about where 3D is on the scale of importance if Evolution aren't doing it given how involved they were in pushing it on PS3.

and as always, 'no X at launch' has me presuming X will never show up. maybe in the sequel.

Quick question for Rushy, or anyone who can confirm.

I have my launch preorder secured, but it's going to be a Christmas gift from my wife.

If I don't open this thing and set up my PSN account until December 25, I'm still good on getting the PS+ edition of Driveclub, correct?

darkwing

I have my launch preorder secured, but it's going to be a Christmas gift from my wife.

If I don't open this thing and set up my PSN account until December 25, I'm still good on getting the PS+ edition of Driveclub, correct?

you don't own a PS device yet?

Haribo

Banned

Yep, no problem. You may lose Resogun though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just want to know what the price will be to upgrade from the PS+ version. I hope it's a modest discount. I'd buy the game for 60 or just get the free Plus version and pay 20-30 for the upgrade to full.

magawolaz

Hi Rushy! Couple of questions:

- Going by what the Blog said, the upgrade from PS Plus Edition to full game will still be tied to PS+ subscription; is that correct? Any idea about the price? Edit: Missed your previous post.
- With the PS Plus Edition will we be able to 'finish' the game/earn all the trophies?
- In some trailers you can see the rear-view mirror reflecting the interiors of the car, but that's not the case during gameplay. Is it just for trailers, or will it be on the game once it ships?
- Is there going to be a photo mode? I love the pics you guys are posting on twitter :)
- Are you capturing these videos with PS4 recording feature?
- Is it feasible to upload these clips also on vimeo.com? That site has very little compression on videos (and lately I can't stand youtube)

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Theecliff

Banned

DriveClub is going to be on the IGC for a year or so I think. Other titles like Resogun might not be though, so you can always create your account online beforehand and grab anything on the IGC ready for when you do get your PS4.

farisr

- Going by what the Blog said, the upgrade from PS Plus Edition to full game will still be tied to PS+ subscription; is that correct? Any idea about the price?

The full game upgrade will turn it into just DriveClub. It will no longer be the PS+ edition, aka the version every non-PS+ member is able to buy.

Yeah if you only buy a few cars and tracks here and there, a PS+ sub will be required in order to play the game. But if you go for the full upgrade, that will turn the game into the full game that is not tied to a PS+ sub.

Edit: I was right. :)

When you upgrade from the PS+ Edition you get the full digital edition which doesn't require a PS+ subscription.

With the PS Plus Edition will we be able to 'finish' the game/earn all the trophies

Doubt it.

Edit: AND I was wrong. :)

- You can earn the platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition, remember its the full game minus a few cars/tracks.

btkadams

The 1080p videos are the same videos from Gamescom. We're going to putting a variety of videos out over the next few weeks/months.

And the 1080p videos will have the same audio as the Facebook videos. But we will be putting out a direct feed in the future which has the music turned off so to highlight the car audio :)
Weren't the Facebook videos recorded directly on the PS4? Sooo does that mean the PS4 really does output high quality 1080p videos?

Can't wait for the new psn app so I can download these games without having the pressure of turning my system on and downloading them before it expires.

Can't wait for the new psn app so I can download these games without having the pressure of turning my system on and downloading them before it expires.

Right now you can go on any computer and head to the webstore.

You just need to have the game on your download list and as long as you have an active subscription it can downloaded anytime after that, plus the webstore can queue your downloads to your system. So its possible to never touch that crappy PS3 version of the store.

Marketing is a powerful thing, the bold is something that ended with the PS2 where lighting, shadows were faked, baked or painted. This should be the norm for most games even last Gen. Dynamic GI is what's unique to Driveclub where the game adjust by time of day in real time, but shadows, lights and shadows work exactly the same way and have the same visual effect with a static light source. Its not like I'll be racing the same race for hours until sundown, imo I don't think its worth the trade-off of making the game 30fps, hopefully they change my mind after a first hands look

Which is why they could very easily speed up the time of day change dramatically in order for it to go through a full cycle over the course of a 2-3 lap race. GT5 does this and once you've seen that in action i'm not sure why you'd want to go back to racing games that don't have day/night cycles. It's one of the few genres where it isn't a simple visual effect but actually has an impact on gameplay.

um....maybe I'm having a brain fart, but is there any other racer that has that Dash Cam?

man it seems realistic, its like your steering wheel, IS THE steering wheel.

I wonder if DriveClub add that cam with no steering wheel but, with you still being able to see the speedometer.
Cockpit adjustments for perfecting the FOV and the option to remove the virtual steering wheel and animated hands is a feature of almost all PC driving sims. Unfortunately, it is rarely implemented in console games. The multi-monitor settings of GT5 are fairly good for setting a realistic FOV, although sadly you can't turn the wheels or hands off.

Putty

I think Evo should release a spin off from DC called Rescue Rushy (TM). I've no idea what it would be but it would be awesome!

MoneyHats

Banned
Which is why they could very easily speed up the time of day change dramatically in order for it to go through a full cycle over the course of a 2-3 lap race. GT5 does this and once you've seen that in action i'm not sure why you'd want to go back to racing games that don't have day/night cycles. It's one of the few genres where it isn't a simple visual effect but actually has an impact on gameplay.

60fps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> trivial visual cues. Races aren't long enough in Forza 5 style racing, this is not country wide racing, and how unrealistic would it be to speed up time, real-time or don't bother, better to start a race right before sundown, that would make more sense.

60fps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> trivial visual cues. Races aren't long enough in Forza 5 style racing, this is not country wide racing, and how unrealistic would it be to speed up time, real-time or don't bother.

Have you actually played a racing game with day/night cycles? They aren't "trivial visual cues".

I'd prefer to have a racing game that's 60fps w/ day/night cycles, but right now that doesn't exist on next-gen consoles. But DC is the only one that has a chance of achieving that since it already has the day/night cycles and they're still trying to get it to 60fps.

Cidd

60fps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> trivial visual cues. Races aren't long enough in Forza 5 style racing, this is not country wide racing, and how unrealistic would it be to speed up time, real-time or don't bother, better to start a race right before sundown, that would make more sense.

You've been working hard, keep up the good work you have a bright future here on GAF....

I wonder what the inspiration was for choosing Kinlock, Scotland. The track is somewhat incomplete without dead pheasants and anti-monarch slogans on the road. Will we get to drive along the A82, through Glen Coe, in DC2? :)

MoneyHats

Banned
This post should've ended all the confusion regarding baked lighting.

You don't even know what global illumination is, do you?

In practice, however, only the simulation of diffuse inter-reflection or caustics is called global illumination.

It's basically a better (much more taxing) version of ambient occlusion.

Forza has a real time lighting engine that is applied to moving objects (mostly cars). This is a static system but calculated in real time. A dynamic engine does the same thing but allows the lightsource to move. As for environments, Forza does in fact use a pre baked system where they take a real time lighting engine and essentially save the shadows created and than apply them to the track texturing. An unfortunate side effect from T10s graphics engine (which was last properly rebuilt during FM3 afaik) is the top down environment shadow mapping to cars.

Forza 5 does in fact use some sort of AO or even GI for the cars (which is entirely possible thanks to the track and car lighting engines being completely seperate coupled with "image based lighting" to make the cars somewhat lit by the environment. Add in the fact that the cars do have a real time lighting engine applied to them the shadows they create are entirely dynamic. If they weren't, the shadows moving in the interior camera simply would not exist.

Reflections in the real world are indeed a product of light. Reflections in a game engine are not unless you're using raytracing which neither DC or FM5 do. If they did, you would see the cars reflecting themselves (i.e mirrors and wings) and other cars in all conditions (i.e interior cameras, exterior cameras) which doesn't happen. Both games would likely use a form of cube mapping to do their reflections. Cube mapping is almost as good as raytracing mind you.

The windscreen reflections would use the same reflections seen in bonnet cams where you can see other dynamic objects in real time. They are both essentially taking a picture of the dash and pasting it on the windscreen taking into account rake and curvature of the windscreen. This is why you can clearly see the shadows being cast over the dashboard being reflected in the windscreen in both games. FM5 however has the drivers hands and steering wheel reflected in real time. The reflection model will also only allow a set amount of light reflect (same as the paint reflections are set to allow a certain amount of colour and reflection through) which is why the dash reflections become less and less apparent when there is less light hitting the dashboard.

Enough with the baked lighting Forza am cry comments. I like the day to night transition effects in DC, is it worth making the game 30fps for it? Imo its not, some people don't mind the trade-off but let the misinformation stop already.

farisr

They already said there will be, and it will make the game fully yours and no longer reliant on a PS+ sub. They just haven't said "how much" yet I don't think.

I just decided to preorder the game when I had an opportunity to get it for $50. I get a physical copy of the game + 3 months of PS+ on top of that.

MoneyHats

Banned
You've been working hard, keep up the good work you have a bright future here on GAF....

Hmm, Imo opinion the Forza am cry posts are the ones trying hard, I'm simply clarifying a misconception. Isn't that the true nature of GAF? even says it on the description.

If you have no rebuttal, why bother criticizing my posts? Better to get this thread back on topic and maybe if people understood the whole "baked lighting" meaning, they wouldn't be making troll comments that need addressing.

The misinformation is that Drive Club is the only racer doing Global Illumination, Real-time lighting, Real-time reflections, Real-time shadowing... The last console to do faked lighting, faked reflections and painted shadows was the PS2 AFAIK, even the original Xbox was already doing real-time lighting, reflections and shadowing. So what exactly is Drive Club doing that is so special? See the first part of the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQ3BbuYVh8

The first part of that Crytek Demo: Global Illumination with Dynamic light movement. (With light propagation we may see later down the generation. UE4 has this too)

Because Drive Club's light source (The sun) is moving as time passes, it's a lot more complex than a static light source (If the sun remains in the same spot). A lot more calculation and horsepower is required with the former because with a static light source the engine can predict ahead of time where the light rays and shadows will be created, but nonetheless they are created in a dynamic and real-time manner, and as the car moves around the course these shadows are dynamic, the lighting is reflected according to the position of the sun and reflections are from real objects around the course. It has the same visual effect as DC except the light source stays put. This prediction is what people use for the term "Baked" and it's being confused with static lighting, faked or painted shadowing and reflections.

Just look no further than Nib95 posts implying that the sun is somewhere else while the lighting is faked onto the vehicles, reflections aren't supposedly real and shadows are painted.... cringe worthy.

magawolaz

The full game upgrade will turn it into just DriveClub. It will no longer be the PS+ edition, aka the version every non-PS+ member is able to buy.

Yeah if you only buy a few cars and tracks here and there, a PS+ sub will be required in order to play the game. But if you go for the full upgrade, that will turn the game into the full game that is not tied to a PS+ sub.
Are you sure? I don't know, the Blog article seemed pretty clear in saying that any upgrade would be tied to the PS Plus subscription.
That's why I'm asking, either poor wording from the Blog, or it's just me reading too much into it, ahah.

Racing a course at dusk isn't the same as racing at midnight isn't the same as driving that same course at noon. The geometry doesn't change, but your visibility does, and how cautious you drive and how you take in the whole experience changes. That provides more longevity and replayability out of existing tracks.

Have you ever seen or played the Nordschleife in GT5 starting in the dead of night and driving on through the sunrise? I've never had a better experience in any racing game than that, bar none. Its simply stunning.

The misinformation is that Drive Club is the only racer doing Global Illumination, Real-time lighting, Real-time reflections, Real-time shadowing... The last console to do faked lighting, faked reflections and painted shadows was the PS2 AFAIK...
Your knowledge is incomplete. Painted shadows are used on PS3 and 360 games, and they will probably be used on PS4 and One games (though hopefully less often). As for "faked reflections", I'm not sure exactly what would qualify, but presuming it's "not what you'd actually see in the reflection" then they're definitely used in Forza 5, for the bonnet cam. Depending on what "faked" means, DriveClub may also have them. As for "faked lighting", I'm not sure what that's supposed to be. Baked GI? That'll be in very many games this gen.

In any case, all these things are done to save resources to spend elsewhere. Until we can do truly photoreal graphics in realtime, that will always be the case in some games. You're right that realtime techniques have been used even in old generations, but every game doesn't do the same stuff. The tradeoffs chosen are part of the art design.

farisr

Are you sure? I don't know, the Blog article seemed pretty clear in saying that any upgrade would be tied to the PS Plus subscription.
That's why I'm asking, either poor wording from the Blog, or it's just me reading too much into it, ahah.

You're reading too much into it. The article by the upgrades is referring to non-full game upgrades (like downloading additional tracks or cars). A full-game upgrade converts it into the full digital version of the game which isn't tied to your PS+ sub anymore.

MoneyHats

Banned
Racing a course at dusk isn't the same as racing at midnight isn't the same as driving that same course at noon. The geometry doesn't change, but your visibility does, and how cautious you drive and how you take in the whole experience changes.

And who says that can't be done? It just doesn't have to happen all in one 24hr race lol. An evening sunset race, night time and sunrise race are definitely doable and in fact have been done before, just not transitions within the same race, and that particular difference is not worth making a racing game 30fps. Racers and fighters running at 60fps is a must, and I have a feeling that when these games are reviewed and compared, reviewers will prefer and appreciate the 60fps and less blurred visuals (30fps is commonly accompanied by motion blur to reduce judder) and will give the nod to the smoother game. Screenshots mean jack, the visuals of the game in motion is the only thing that matters, which is why I think Turn 10 made the wiser trade-offs.

And who says that can't be done? It just doesn't have to happen all in one 24hr race lol. An evening sunset race, night time and sunrise race are definitely doable and in fact have been done before, just not transitions within the same race, and that particular difference is not worth making a racing game 30fps. Racers and fighters running at 60fps is a must, and I have a feeling that when these games are reviewed and compared, reviewed will prefer and appreciate the 60fps and sharper visuals (30fps is commonly accompanied by motion blur to reduce judder) and will give the nod to the smoother game. Screenshots mean jack, the visuals of the game in motion is the only thing that matters, which is why I think Turn 10 made the wiser trade-offs.
Screenshots? We've seen it in motion, it looks great. Blurred visuals? lol, I have an harder time telling the visuals apart with the excessive boom and lens flare in Forza then I do with the minimal and subtle blur in DC. Like someone previously said, you're trying way too hard.

This post should've ended all the confusion regarding baked lighting.

Enough with the baked lighting Forza am cry comments. I like the day to night transition effects in DC, is it worth making the game 30fps for it? Imo its not, some people don't mind the trade-off but let the misinformation stop already.

Global illumination is a better version of ambient occlusion? AO is related to shadows, gi is lighting. Two very different things I think

Satans posts reads like damage control to me

Dibbz

A lot more calculation and horsepower is required with the former because with a static light source the engine can predict ahead of time where the light rays and shadows will be created, but nonetheless they are created in a dynamic and real-time manner, and as the car moves around the course these shadows are dynamic, the lighting is reflected according to the position of the sun and reflections are from real objects around the course. It has the same visual effect as DC except the light source stays put. This prediction is what people use for the term "Baked" and it's being confused with static lighting, faked or painted shadowing and reflections.

I'm trying to grasp what you are saying here but can't quite do it. Are you saying Forza 5 is using dynamic lighting with static positioning of the light source?

And who says that can't be done? It just doesn't have to happen all in one 24hr race lol. An evening sunset race, night time and sunrise race are definitely doable and in fact have been done before, just not transitions within the same race, and that particular difference is not worth making a racing game 30fps.
lol you do know there has been a game with day/night cycles that was 60fps right, on last gen hardware to boot.

Top Bottom