• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

I think the game looks pretty damn good, but I haven't seen any sound impressions whatsoever (or have completely overlooked them). Can someone give some good impressions on how the vehicles sound in this? The sound in GT5/6 is HORRENDOUS, and I really, really want to play a good racing game with proper-sounding cars on a Sony console.
You can hear car sounds here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HprgQKeq2_Q

Of course not real gameplay footage, but we can hope.

p3tran

Banned
Idk, there's something about Forza that makes it look so cartoonish compared to GT5. I mean just look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s_G1ph_vA
I can't even imagine how the next GT would look like on PS4.

The thing though that makes the GT5 video so amazing is that it looks quite realistic.
I also want the next GT on the next playstation, but it seems it aint happening just yet.
forza looks like computer graphics, personally i am very ok with that.

until with get the goods from Driveclub, here's a horizon night racing vid:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GPidYJJySQ&hd=1
it may not be as photorealistic as GT5, but it is more appropriate to the kind of game Driveclub is.

Thanks for answering my question Rushy but could you clarify whether I will get the 3 free months of Plus by purchasing the digital upgrade for the PS+ edition?

It doesn't seem like you will in EU for the 50% off a year, so you probably won't in US either for the 3 free months.

See this answer by Chris Howe on the EU PS Blog:

EU PS Blog

I'm not sure his answer is 100% proof, because the offer was announced to apply when you buy the full game on PSN too.

Racer1977

I think the game looks pretty damn good, but I haven't seen any sound impressions whatsoever (or have completely overlooked them). Can someone give some good impressions on how the vehicles sound in this? The sound in GT5/6 is HORRENDOUS, and I really, really want to play a good racing game with proper-sounding cars on a Sony console.
You can here the engine sounds on some of the latest videos, happy to say it sounds more like Forza than GT.

Robbok

Thanks for sharing so much information Rushy.
Could you tell us something about Tuning possibillities and livery editing?

Mokubba

I wonder what it will cost to upgrade the PS+ version to the full digital version. Will a separate PS+ subscription + upgraded Driveclub PS+ edition be more or less than buying the full version right away and getting 50% off on your 1 year PS+ subscription? There's also that deal right now where you get 90 additional days if you buy a year of PS+.

I think they might work out to be the same price or slightly cheaper to upgrade the PS+ edition. The pre order bonus is the only thing that would sway me if they work out to be the same price.

The 90 days extra deal will expire before November so we won't be able to take advantage of it then

farisr

No Split-Screen I'm afraid.

Ugh...

Although expected since it's become the norm for devs nowadays, still bothers me every single time. I (and many others who care for the feature) wouldn't mind it at all if splitscreen modes ran at a reduced resolution. Lack of splitscreen/local multiplayer altogether is just a big negative in a lot of games for me.

DieH@rd

Banned
I also want the next GT on the next playstation, but it seems it aint happening just yet.

it may not be as photorealistic as GT5, but it is more appropriate to the kind of game Driveclub is.

Bah, headlights from cars behind the driver are not illuminating the cockpit... Night racing = ruined.

Bah, headlights from cars behind the driver are not illuminating the cockpit... Night racing = ruined.

this!! i mean, usually i wouldnt care, but now things are starting to look more realistic, my brains feels something is "off".. and its that, no light inside the car.

also i like the speed cameras taking photos, nice touch.

Bah, you said that was night racing, it never got dark or looked like night time. More like dusk racing maybe.

Also this is more appropriate to driveclub.
avab63.gif

Watching Drivclub at PAX the 30fps is jarring after looking at Forza and GT. However the game has a reasonably dense amount of environment detail. Not Dirt levels but certainly more than Forza/GT. What struck me about the look of the game is that the shadows are really dark and sort of messy. Hope they an beat the game into shape for release.

lol no split screen? in a racing game? That is seriously messed up. If any game needs to have split screen it's racing games by default. It shouldn't even be a question. There is no way I'm buying this game now, no matter if it gets rated 10/10.

I'm glad there's a free version. Can't wait for Ps4 gt6 with split screen.

velociraptor

No split screen has knocked down this game from "buy soon after PS4 launch" to "buy when Driveclub 2 comes out."
No split-screen really is disappointing, especially since the PS4 has the graphical grunt.

What they could have done is halved the resolution to 720p during split screen. As the screen is smaller, you don't notice the drop in IQ as much.

I wonder how GG managed to do it with KZ3. Weirdly, KZ3 in split screen looks as visually impressive as KZ3 in SP. Performance is fine too.

p3tran

Banned

well, if we are taking notes, also notice that when the headlight beams from two cars cross, the luminosity in the crossed area is not doubled, but remains the same.
dynamic light and shadow casting from headlights still miss a lot of properties.
but there can be only so much juice inside the ol'360.
in fact, taking forza physics, models, sounds, upgrades & tuning and making it run on a open world game in a steady framerate is a feat on its own.

the best night headlights etc, casting shadows not only on static but on moving objects too, iirc I have seen on latest NFS on pc (dx11). I dont remember anything better right now regarding headlights. (anybody?)
hopefully driveclub will take that from nfs to eleven 8)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the best night headlights etc, casting shadows not only on static but on moving objects too, iirc I have seen on latest NFS on pc (dx11). I dont remember anything better right now regarding headlights. (anybody?)
hopefully driveclub will take that from nfs to eleven 8)

i thought shift 2 did an admirable job.

Jigolo

No spilt screen, not 60 FPS, 35% pre alpha at gamescom...

I'm starting to think this game is rushed. Kind of reminds me when I bought Motorstorm and it didn't have split screen, I was so disappointed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Every launch game is rushed, playboys.

And it's a holiday, you might as well stop refreshing this thread until tomorrow.

farisr

Its labour day, long weekend.

Not in EU. But anyways, I've told myself not to expect this before Friday. Also, don't even know why I'm making such a big issue out of it. It's not like we're getting new footage, it's the same 4 vids they posted on facebook just in higher quality (and even with the crappy facebook quality, the game looks good). Not like we're getting nighttime race or a different track/cars or something.

p3tran

Banned
But Rushy said "first thing on Monday" :(

well, he has done everything that was to be done on his part, DAYS ago.
its the suits fault the video is not out yet, not the devs :)

i thought shift 2 did an admirable job.
I had to re-check, because shift seems to have trouble registering to my memory :)
I think while shift 2 night is good, the quality of effects in nfs is much better.

shift2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3anxyEV-boI
nfsmw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1jSUBEgNM

Shaneus

Thanks for sharing so much information Rushy.
Could you tell us something about Tuning possibillities and livery editing?
No tuning. Like PGR.

No split-screen really is disappointing, especially since the PS4 has the graphical grunt.

What they could have done is halved the resolution to 720p during split screen. As the screen is smaller, you don't notice the drop in IQ as much.
That doesn't make any sense... if you halve the resolution to 720p and halve it again to focus on your own screen, wouldn't it be even *lower* IQ?

And I don't think PS4 has that much more grunt than the One. We've seen the compromises FM5 has had to make to get it running smoothly (very little dynamic lighting or whatever, lots of baked stuff) and DC obviously has to prioritise things differently. To get split-screen going it would have to take even more of a hit, so they'd have to do something like have no night races or fewer cars on track or vastly lower detail. I'm kinda glad they decided not to do that.

RoKKeR

split screen was ok in 1998, not anymore. tell your mates to get an internet connection

Sarcasm? That's not the point of splitscreen. Yes part of it is being able to play games simultaneously with your buds, but it's having people over, cracking wise, tossing the controller around between players, etc., that's what splitscreen is for.

Stillmatic

Probably already mentioned, but it doesn't look like the tires are leaving skid marks when they loose traction? Rushy, you can't let the team forget about that little detail! :)

Probably already mentioned, but it doesn't look like the tires are leaving skid marks when they loose traction? Rushy, you can't let the team forget about that little detail! :)

Yea, I've mentioned it twice now. I hope it gets corrected. It really ruins my sense of immersion. That and the ultra crisp shadows.

Top Bottom