• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
What the hell are people in this thread smoking, because I want some!

scitek

I wish they wouldn't release media on the game until they've gotten it as close to its final look as possible. This game's still pretty early on in development, isn't it?

Threi

notag
The people hating/loving on the game in this thread are fucking batshit insane. Cant you see that the game clearly looks good/shitty? You guys need to get your eyes checked.

Haunted

I hope we can all forget that ludicrous Halo 3 comparison some guy made and just concentrate on the actual screens of the game in here. :/

Tieno

abstract alien said:
I think that if it had the technical backing that halo has, it would look at least as good as that. Part of what makes that look good is the graphical detail, added geometry and its an angled style shot, not really a gameplay perspective shot. Without it, we were left with halo 1 and 2 graphics.
http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/482228/halo-2/images/halo-2-200405100903736.html?page=mediaFull
http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/482228/halo-2/images/halo-2-20040518013715136.html?page=mediaFull

Really nice one here(epic nongameplay shot), that looks damn good actually.
http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/482228/halo-2/images/halo2_011604_000.html

I dont think this game is below halo in art by any means really.
If my mom had balls she'd be my uncle
1)Why stop at Halo 1? Why not go even further back to Marathon or Doom, or downgrade some other game to PS1 visuals? You said Halo 3.
2)The magical power of next-gen allows for a better, richer artstyle in general. Only rarely does a Wii-game's artstyle overcome or close the gap of its lack of hardware power (Super Mario Galaxy).
3)The environments in Conduit are pretty boring buildings, much more nighttime. Unlike Halo, which focuses on completely different things.
4)lol

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Looks alright. If it plays well, I'm there.

And wtf at you guys saying you won't play the game unless it's 60 fps? What's wrong with you people? I mean, 60 is nice, but if it's locked at 30 there's nothing wrong with that.

Amir0x

Banned
Haunted One said:
I hope we can all forget that ludicrous Halo 3 comparison some guy made and just concentrate on the actual screens of the game in here. :/

Hopefully, since people who bring up HALO 3 in some competitive manner now will be banned ITT.

My feeling is people are so used to getting nothing on Wii from third parties, that they're still settling for lowered expectations and standards.

The trailer looked like some old PC game from 2000 or something, and that's being generous.
Why settle for that? During Xbox/GCN/PS2 generation, even PS2 had better looking FPS than this.

And I don't know why people would stop there, since Wii got Metroid Prime III which looks easily better than any last-gen FPS. So stop settling, aim higher!

That's my opinion.

agrajag

Banned
Some crazy shit going on in this thread. And whoever posted that it gives off Duke Nukem 3D vibes, I agree completely.

Haunted One said:

Eh, as much as I'd like for a good sci-fi FPS and generally just more visuals/"narrative" driven games to be released for Wii, I don't think this looks too good yet. I'll reserve judgment on its visuals until it nears its release date, but as of now, it's pretty ugly, imo. It looks like it can turn out to be very fun, and a much needed quality hardcore game for Wii, but unless it's significantly improved graphically, I'm not sure that Voltage Games' bold proclamations that The Conduit will "prove that Wii is a next gen system" or whatever it is they said will come anywhere near holding any water. So, in a way, any backlash is sort of justified. If they claim that they could put other Wii developers to shame, they better be able to prove it.

Amir0x said:
Hopefully, since people who bring up HALO 3 in some competitive manner now will be banned ITT.

My feeling is people are so used to getting nothing on Wii from third parties, that they're still settling for lowered expectations and standards.

The trailer looked like some old PC game from 2000 or something, and that's being generous.
Why settle for that? During Xbox/GCN/PS2 generation, even PS2 had better looking FPS than this.

And I don't know why people would stop there, since Wii got Metroid Prime III which looks easily better than any last-gen FPS. So stop settling, aim higher!

That's my opinion.

Holy shit Ami, I actually agree with you.

Banned
Amir0x said:

That's my opinion.
how about we get some fucking gameplay impressins first?

12 pages over a 2 min video and 15 screenshots. Are you people on both sides this pathetic? If you people are so sure that the game will suck, than let it come out and suck. If it rocks than let it speak for itself.

Amir0x

Banned

How about it? We'll have a thread about that and discuss it when it comes.

12 pages over a 2 min video and 15 screenshots. Are you people on both sides this pathetic? If you people are so sure that the game will suck, than let it come out and suck. If it rocks than let it speak for itself.

If you do not like people having long discussions about footage or screenshots, you may exit the thread left.

Since it is based on footage/screenshots, commenting on the quality of the visuals is completely appropriate. There is no "thread size limit" on the graphical discussions, and while there is probably some commentary to be made on why the thread is so large - I've already laid out the correct theory - the thread continues.

Graphics are important, and people discuss them as such, news at 11.

Alt: Cry some more.

Banned
Amir0x said:
How about it? We'll have a thread about that and discuss it when it comes.

If you do not like people having long discussions about footage or screenshots, you may exit the thread left.

Since it is based on footage/screenshots, commenting on the quality of the visuals is completely appropriate. There is no "thread size limit" on the graphical discussions, and while there is probably some commentary to be made on why the thread is so large - I've already laid out the correct theory - the thread continues.

This thread is quite different from most wii threads, becuase actual discussion happens there. Most of this thread is insane hyperbole on both sides.

"OMG guys, It's better than Halo 3"
"OMG guys It looks worse than Quake"

That's really gripping. People have already clearly put themselves on the side of loving or hating this game based off of visuals so can we move on. The interview a few pages back brought up the fact that the game might have voice chat, might have lan, has at least 3 multiplayer modes and will be locked at 30 fps. None of that is worth a discussion, but comparing this game to Halo 3 is?

If this is the reason why Nintendo doesn't announce shit 8 months before it releases than i completely support that strategy.

Amir0x

Banned
This thread is quite different from most wii threads, becuase actual discussion happens there.

:lol

Most of this thread is insane hyperbole on both sides.

"OMG guys, It's better than Halo 3"
"OMG guys It looks worse than Quake"

That's really gripping. People have already clearly put themselves on the side of loving or hating this game based off of visuals so can we move on. The interview a few pages back brought up the fact that the game might have voice chat, might have lan, has at least 3 multiplayer modes and will be locked at 30 fps.

I think it's better to discuss things we can all experience at the moment, which is the visuals, then to hypothesize about things which MIGHT come, like voice chat. But that's just me. Every time a developer promises something for the Wii, it doesn't tend to happen.

Also, there has been some 30fps discussion in the thread just not much of it since the OP is about the footage. So obviously it's more likely the thread will contain discussion about THAT, rather than discussion about an interview that was dug in one of the many pages of the topic.

None of that is worth a discussion, but comparing this game to Halo 3 is?

It isn't worth discussion, that's why I mocked those people and then banned them.

If this is the reason why Nintendo doesn't announce shit 8 months before it releases than i completely support that strategy.

You would.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Here's my only real opinion on this game right now:

Kudos to High Voltage for funding this and taking a risk ,but I wish they would shut the fuck up in interviews where they talk about all these great features that will be going in, and how "we're going to make the first REAL THIRD PARTY GAME" etc. etc.

So far we have a video, some screenshots, and a hell of a lot of bold P.R.

beef3483

Amir0x said:

Well if we really wanted to lower our standards we'd all be playing our FPS with dual analog. Some people would rather have the superior control scheme. The whole point of this thread and the reason this game gets attention is because people don't want to lower thier standards that far.

Amir0x said:

You act as if a video or screens can't give information about gameplay. It all depends on what you focus on. Maybe that is what some people are decrying in this thread?

Also, your statement "graphics are important" is a generalization that does not apply to everybody.

Zenith

Banned

yeah, how can you get gameplay impressions from gameplay footage...........

and even accounting for the time to release the trailer shows just how bad the graphics will be.

if this game was on PC no one would pay any attention to it. Red Ocean looks better than this (a crappy but very shiny low-budget game) and no one tried to justify it with saying "bu....but look at the art style!".

Falafel got banned for posting a stupid opinion? And alien for questioning Halo 3's art? :lol

I'm all for it but then half of GAF will be banned.

Flock said:
gave me a real halo vibe, but still looks like it could be good.

*sigh*
So Halo can't be good? I can't believe I'm taking the bait, but humor me. What exactly is so bad about Halo that any game that looks even a bit similar is denigrated?

Banned
Zenith said:
yeah, how can you get gameplay impressions from gameplay footage...........

and even accounting for the time to release the trailer shows just how bad the graphics will be.

if this game was on PC no one would pay any attention to it. Red Ocean looks better than this (a crappy but very shiny low-budget game) and no one tried to justify it with saying "bu....but look at the art style!".
so why the hell are you paying attention to it?

pakkit

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
*sigh*
So Halo can't be good? I can't believe I'm taking the bait, but humor me. What exactly is so bad about Halo that any game that looks even a bit similar is denigrated?

IT'S A TRAP.

I'm hoping this title has a big showing at E3. Make it happen.

Abstract alien is my new least favorite poster on GAF for obvious reasons...

...and the game looks average guys. Decent for a Wii game (Sure is no MP3) but not that great for a current gen game (is next gen "current" now?). I think most people are shitting themselves over it because of how low the bar is for third party Wii games. There's no reason why this game doesn't look as good or better than Metroid Prime 3 at this point in the Wii's lifespan (granted Conduit is early in it's dev cycle), but unfortunately it seems that the only great looking Wii games shall remain to be the big N's.

Whether or not other Devs are just lazy because they know games will sell on Wii despite how they look, or if Nintendo just knows how to tap into the hardware better (probably a combination of the two) is a mystery to me. I'm just really sick of Wii games looking worse than PS2 and Cube games, hopefully The Conduit only improves as it continues in its development.

Ramenman

Amir0x said:

That's my opinion.

Exactly. They remember me when I was 11 and Gamecube was my only console (wait, 11 ? bah, doesn't matter). Or like for some (emphasis : some) early Wii fans Sadness was one of the most promising titles, because it was mature.

But as you stated there's no reason now, because we've already had the goods, and there's actually some quality games we can get hyped on more 'safely'.
I say we, because I'm a Wii fan. That's the most disturbing thing about this whole thing. I'm usually on the other side, defending a game we know nothing about just because a concept could deliver, or it comes from a nice idea. But here I really don't know how this looks "amazingly good" or even "awesome for the Wii".
I can understand "promising", "good for work in progress", or things like that, but "on par with Halo 3", please.

I'm so confused, again.

ivysaur12

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Abstract alien is my new least favorite poster on GAF for obvious reasons...

...and the game looks average guys. Decent for a Wii game (Sure is no MP3) but not that great for a current gen game (is next gen "current" now?). I think most people are shitting themselves over it because of how low the bar is for third party Wii games. There's no reason why this game doesn't look as good or better than Metroid Prime 3 at this point in the Wii's lifespan (granted Conduit is early in it's dev cycle), but unfortunately it seems that the only great looking Wii games shall remain to be the big N's.

Whether or not other Devs are just lazy because they know games will sell on Wii despite how they look, or if Nintendo just knows how to tap into the hardware better (probably a combination of the two) is a mystery to me. I'm just really sick of Wii games looking worse than PS2 and Cube games, hopefully The Conduit only improves as it continues in its development.

I don't think anyone is shitting themselves over the game. Actually, the people who think the game looks AMAZING seem to be in the minority.

I'm not one for FPS, but I wouldn't mind another fun FPS romp with the Wii after getting my Metroid Prime 3 and MoH2 fix. I don't think The Conduit is aiming to redefine the FPS genre, and it would be foolish for anyone to think that this game is going to score 9+s or be the Call of Duty 4 of the Wii. I think they guys at High Voltage are just trying to make something fun in a genre that the Wii lacks.

agrajag

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Falafel got banned for posting a stupid opinion? And alien for questioning Halo 3's art? :lol

I'm all for it but then half of GAF will be banned.

heavyhand.jpg

1ban.jpg

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I'll simply say that the game looks good enough to enjoy, if a bit generic. I may give it a shot if it plays good.

devilhawk

This definitely doesn't look horrible. It does remind me of perfect dark. Well, if I can say so, maybe a mix of MP3, Halo 2, and Perfect Dark in both art and graphics (meaning it has some graphic elements that range from n64 to wii levels). I can't really tell much about the gameplay and especially the flow from a reel of truncated clips. The Wii really needs a dedicated alien fighting soldier FPS, and if it is good I think it could sell ok. I don't know much about development cycles and progression of games after certain points but I imagine there is still hope for some improvements.

I don't think I've been out of line with my comparisons. Too much extremism in the thread for sure. I really think the first polished multiplayer FPS on Wii will sell massively. I believe this game is in contention for that, but by no means guaranteed.

Vagabundo

Those screenies look okay. Nice and colourful.

Why are people freaking out?

And MP3 is an awesome, awesome lookingh game. Not entirely relevant but true none the less...

I'd be interested in purchasing it if the controls are good. Wii needs more fps's.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
To that end we looked at and stole shamelessly from mega-hits like Halo and Half-Life, recent titles like Resistance: Fall of Man and Metroid Prime Corruption, as well as classics like Goldeneye for the N64.
I LOL'd.

They're very confident, hopefully the game will be fun because that's all that REALLY matters.

ivysaur12

Banned
J-Rock said:
Here is a new interview with High Voltage. Pretty interesting.

LINK

Rob: Our Quantum 3 engine has provided us with the means to produce some really amazing graphics despite the limited resources available on the Wii. That and we have some truly amazing artists working for us!

Nope.

Threi

notag
Matt: Let's just say that the team has pretty much had to ignore the graphics of the other titles that have come out on the Wii so far.
cmon GAF somebody take this i dont want to look like the bad guy here :(

Surely if you're making a game for a console, you play to its strengths, going against the grain, especially when you're completely self funded is making things hard for you. The Wii isn't the optimum console to design FPS's for.

Most interesting part for me:

There hasn't been much word on who the publisher for The Conduit is. Rumor has it, Nintendo is actually going to publish the game. Can you comment on that? Can you announce one at this time?

Matt: I can neither confirm nor deny this, senator. ;) All I will say is that thanks to the explosion of interest in this title, we've had a lot of publishers knocking on our door.

Pre

This game looks terrible and has some awfully generic level design from the screens shown so far. Do not want.

ivysaur12

Banned
Matt: There'll be on-the-fly, in-game look sensitivity adjustments, as well as a fully map-able control scheme, down to the button, in the game's front end UI. Players will be able to map the game's controls completely to their own liking. There'll even be a couple of alternate control methods for those that don't care as much for the Wii pointer style of directional turning. There'll be lots of options for maximum playability.

That's good at least.

And from the press release, they made is seem like they already had a publisher? Hmm... odd.

I think we can all agree that if Factor 5 were making a FPS for Wii it would look significantly better than this..so I dont belive they are pushing the Wii to its max. Afterall its their first game using this new engine. But give them credit for at least showing other developers what the console is capable of.

rezuth

Dan: We've put a solid amount of effort into enemy AI for The Conduit. A pet peeve of mine is single player FPS games where the enemies just stand there getting blasted, and don't seem to be reacting to the world around them. In The Conduit, our bad guys can hear and see, understand the use of cover, have variable levels of aggression, use grenades effectively, advance and retreat, and can determine when the player is susceptible to attack (i.e. reloading, exposed and moving in their firing cone). I think focusing a higher than normal amount of the dev time on AI makes our single player experience better than most other FPS titles out there. Of course, the overall look we're able to achieve with our advanced engine tech is also something the makes The Conduit a superior FPS game IMO.

Rob: I would say that would be the ASE or "All Seeing Eye" device. In game, this piece of hardware allows a player to adjust the "phase state" of things. This makes invisible enemies and hazards not only visible, but able to take damage. It also makes invisible cover and platforms become solid, leading to more gameplay. We also reveal secret puzzle locks that must be solved to get to special weapons.
Sounds good

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They've got some good talk there. Let's see how it pans out.

If I'm reading what they say about controls right, it looks like they'll be supporting classic dual analog controls as well. CC or GCN.

Threi

notag
Mejilan said:
They've got some good talk there. Let's see how it pans out.

If I'm reading what they say about controls right, it looks like they'll be supporting classic dual analog controls as well. CC or GCN.
no you read it wrong

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hypno Funk said:
Surely if you're making a game for a console, you play to its strengths, going against the grain, especially when you're completely self funded is making things hard for you. The Wii isn't the optimum console to design FPS's for.

Duel-analog sure as hell ain't it.

Top Bottom