• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

_Alkaline_ said:
Other than 30fps and the lack of splitscreen (lame!) it sounds pretty good. Nice to see them giving online a real go.

30 fps is still better than most PS3 games... Well, seriously. I know every gamer wants 60 fps, but you guys don´t think of television images being jumpy, do you? And that´s 30 fps right there. Of course, 60 would be nice, I´m just saying 30 is not really noticably bad.

Ydahs

Everyone's judging this game from screens, even though we've seen a trailer and it looks much better in motion. It shows promise and the team is really backing it up, so it has potential.

All (most) Wii games look horrible in screens. The same thing happened with Metroid Prime which looks superb in motion.

EDIT: Just rewatched the trailer and I still can't understand how people see this game having poor graphics. Maybe for a PS3/360 game, but for Wii, it's decent AND it's in such an early stage.

Ydahs said:
Everyone's judging this game from screens, even though we've seen a trailer and it looks much better in motion. It shows promise and the team is really backing it up, so it has potential.

All (most) Wii games look horrible in screens. The same thing happened with Metroid Prime which looks superb in motion.

EDIT: Just rewatched the trailer and I still can't understand how people see this game having poor graphics. Maybe for a PS3/360 game, but for Wii, it's decent AND it's in such an early stage.
Very true. In fact, in the trailer the game looks on par with Halo 3 (being not exactly the 360´s best looking game).

bigmakstudios said:
spaceballswhat.gif
No, it doesn't.
Well, Halo 3 is no looker, that is for sure. When I interviewed the Bungie bunch at the European launch event for the game, they were really apologetic about the graphics, saying it had other qualities to make up for the lack of looks. And Conduit, by comparison, is one fine-looking Wii game. I think it can be compared to Halo 3 any day, as can Metroid Prime 3, for that matter. Of course, I am only talking about Standard and Enhanced Definition, but that´s a given.

Zenith

Banned
Ydahs said:

it looks on par with Project Snowblind. and that's being generous.

J-Rock

Banned
I got the Perfect Dark vibe from the Trailer.

:lol @ people harshly judging/overly praising any game from screen shots.

beef3483

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Bloody Nintendo geeks will just proclaim anything nowadays.

It's no different than those damn bloody Nintendo trolls. Many of which I think have infested this thread.

ksamedi said:
No Rakka, but I played enough Wii FPS to know that even the crappiest ones (like Cod 3) have better control than any 360 FPS. I'm a happy owner of all 3 consoles but I prefer to play fps games on the Wii.
Pretty much

edit - "absolutely locked at 30fps"

phuq, there goes the visual splender for me. Only thing that could save this game graphically for me is a bunch of background motion and ambient animations. Its gotta have alot of life, but i dont think it will happen.

Ill still check it out, im interested...the precision of the wii can make up for the smoothness that 60fps gives the aiming cursor. Disappointed, but maybe i can still enjoy it.

How many times do I have to say this? This game looks beautiful for the style, not the polygons. You guys probably thought Wind Waker looked like shit.

InvincibleAgent said:
How many times do I have to say this? This game looks beautiful for the style, not the polygons. You guys probably thought Wind Waker looked like shit.
That would be a damn sin, wind waker is the greatest looking game ever. Nothing even compares except REmake

InvincibleAgent said:
Not saying that The Conduit comes anywhere close to the beauty of Wind Waker, it's just you guys are looking for beauty in the wrong places.
I think the game looks good. Only thing im discusted about is the framerate, because alot of what this game has to offer would look ace at 60fps, and there really isnt any reason it shouldnt be.

Its not that i dont like the way it looks, its just that i see more potential than what its giving...the game looks fine to me though. I like the art direction and the weapon design, and i like the animations on some of the weapons as well, so im all for it.

and yes, it does look better than halo 3

edit...im completely serious when i say that, because halo looks generic to me

CTLance

abstract alien said:
and yes, it does look better than halo 3
[IMG]http://www.inyaface.net.au/images/huh.png[/IMG]

edit: oh, you're talking about artstyle. In that case, I'd like to retract my avatar quote and reman neutral on the issue.

CTLance said:
huh.png
someotherpic.gif.jpeg

edit...haha, *shakes hand* you are still the man, so its all good

Umm guys, I'm the biggest Halo hater going around, but in no way does this game look better than Halo 3 (or even close to it). And i'm talking about style as well, not just technically.

dai said:
i'm not a graphics whore or anything... but this is easily the ugliest game i've seen in a long while. i really hope you were joking when you say it looks better than halo 3.
No one said that. The guy was saying it looks on par with Halo 3.

Which is also not the case of course. Could still be a good game though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I really don't care about how it looks. If this game has controls on par with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, I'll gladly pick it up.

The Halo 3 comparisons are funny but honestly, I'd much rather look at this than Halo 3. At least this game can blame the hardware it's on for looking the way it does :lol

Ydahs

dai said:
i'm not a graphics whore or anything... but this is easily the ugliest game i've seen in a long while. i really hope you were joking when you say it looks better than halo 3.
Did you watch the trailer?

Kade

Ysiadmihi said:
I really don't care about how it looks. If this game has controls on par with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, I'll gladly pick it up.

The Halo 3 comparisons are funny but honestly, I'd much rather look at this than Halo 3. At least this game can blame the hardware it's on for looking the way it does :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

dai said:
Not from a purely graphical standpoint, no, its not anywhere close. From an artistic standpoint, i like it more. Mostly because of the weapons and some of the locations in the vid.

I dont enjoy looking at halo, and i especially dont enjoy looking at it knowing its on the 360. This looks better, although its no metroid prime.

Ramenman

InvincibleAgent said:

Okay, opinions and stuff. But now you're gonna have to explain, because even the people who argued this looked awesome said it was despite the "style". Is that even a style, merging good looking textures just for the sake of it without caring about how quirky the end result will look. Though I have to say, the last 3 or so screens aren't as bad in that regard, at least they present a dominant color, which could be the beginning of a direction.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
abstract alien said:
I dont enjoy looking at halo, and i especially dont enjoy looking at it knowing its on the 360. This looks better, although its no metroid prime.

Aah here we go.

legend166

Am I the only one thinking people are completely overreacting, on both sides?

You've got people saying it looks better than Halo 3, and people saying it's the ugliest game they've ever seen.

It doesn't look great to me, but it's not bad, relatively speaking. People are acting like it's the next car vault or something. Looks average.

I honestly dont understand what makes halo so much better than this as far as artstyle is concerned. Sure the presentation is better, and it def has better graphics from a tech standpoint, but artstyle...its just pretty weak imo. I could see if this was about the music, because halo has some of the best music in gaming, but from a pure art style perspective, halo isnt that good generally.

dai said:
The guy you quoted was refering to "art", which is mainly subjective. The other guy was, by the sound of it, referring to the technical standpoint (graphics), which can't be debated.

Endgegner said:
The sad thing is this guy actually works for RTL2. On the other hand that probably explains his confusion.
Now that explains a lot of things :D .

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Game looks pertty good graphically speaking (on Wii standards) but the art style is just so ugly that I can't get past it. At the moment Conduit seems to be yet an another medicore FPS-game and I have played enough of them so I probably wont buy this.

Haunted

bad art™

Looks good technically, but that isn't enough, imo. It does look good in some of those shots, and then pretty bad in others. Very uneven, overall.

Tieno

abstract alien said:
I honestly dont understand what makes halo so much better than this as far as artstyle is concerned. Sure the presentation is better, and it def has better graphics from a tech standpoint, but artstyle...its just pretty weak imo. I could see if this was about the music, because halo has some of the best music in gaming, but from a pure art style perspective, halo isnt that good generally.
A lot of people like the artstyle of Halo 3 because of its colorful environments, use of light and impressive backdrops

1037uc4.jpg

2nibdid.jpg

2ymeg4k.png

2ep1y5v.jpg

34np7it.jpg

Most people shit on it because of the jaggies.

Tieno said:
A lot of people like the artstyle of Halo 3 because of its colorful environments, use of light and impressive backdrops

1037uc4.jpg

Most people shit on it because of the jaggies.
I think that if it had the technical backing that halo has, it would look at least as good as that. Part of what makes that look good is the graphical detail, added geometry and its an angled style shot, not really a gameplay perspective shot. Without it, we were left with halo 1 and 2 graphics.
http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/482228/halo-2/images/halo-2-200405100903736.html?page=mediaFull
http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/482228/halo-2/images/halo-2-20040518013715136.html?page=mediaFull

Really nice one here(epic nongameplay shot), that looks damn good actually.
http://xbox.ign.com/dor/objects/482228/halo-2/images/halo2_011604_000.html

I dont think this game is below halo in art by any means really.

Amir0x

Banned
Falafelkid said:
Very true. In fact, in the trailer the game looks on par with Halo 3 (being not exactly the 360´s best looking game).

hahhahahaahhahahahahahahahahaaHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

abstract alien said:
Part of what makes that look good is the graphical detail, added geometry and its an angled style shot, not really a gameplay perspective shot. Without it, we were left with halo 1 and 2 graphics.

So... what you're saying is, if you take away the style, the geometry, the graphical detail... you have Halo 1 and 2.

I hope you realize that's the exact same thing as saying "Without the geometry, graphical detail and style, FFXIII really is nothing more than Final Fantasy X."

I want to post lol emoticons, but I'll refer you to the representation of my actual real-life LOL I did above.

Top Bottom