• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First game that comes to mind for each Xbox generation so far

Mista

Banned
Xbox: Oddworld: MO-NG-Halo2
Xbox 360: Lost Odyssey - Blue Dragon - Gears 1 - Witcher 2
Xbox One: Cuphead - Sunset Overdrive - Ori

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
xBAJBN.gif

Think about it.

Halo, Halo, Halo

Havoc2049

XB: Halo 2
The launch day hype was insane and at the time, set all kinds of launch day records. Xbox Live took off. Set up the success of the Xbox 360.

Xbox 360: Halo 3
Best selling Halo game of all time at 14.5 million. Another record setting launch. Competitive Halo hit its apex.
****The ugly truth: Thanks to Microsoft tapping into the Wii hype/fad soccer mom crowd, the best selling Xbox 360 game by a wide margin was Kinect Adventures. But like most fads, they die hard and fast, and it set up the Xbox One to under perform (and the Wii U to bomb).

Xbox One: Hard to pick a break out hit. The front runners:
Halo MCC: It was buggy and bombed at launch, but has been given new life with fixed bugs, added games and PC support. Halo MCC has long legs and just might win out in the end.

Halo 5: Second best selling game on the Xbox One (worst selling main line Halo game). The campaign was below average, but the multiplayer is great (although not as full featured and popular as Halo 2, 3, Reach and 4).

Sea of Thieves
A total of 8.4 million users have played the game. Game beat sales expectations. First non-Kinect game that Rare has made for Microsoft that could be considered a hit. Mucho TLC from Rare with tons of updates and community engagement. Game has long legs and its third most popular month since the game launched was earlier this year after the Anniversary Update.

Forza Horizon series: Excellent arcade racers and the most solid titles that Microsoft has made this gen. Microsoft should thank their lucky stars, because the Forza series kept the Xbox brand going this gen.

I would also keep an eye out for Gears of War 5. Gears 4 was a solid game and a step in the right direction. Gears 5 just might take the series back to its glory days.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Madden 03
Madden 06
Madden 25

Those were the first games I always bought at launch. Doubt that will be the case next Gen. I am so over them

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
OG Xbox: Halo
I sadly never owned an OG Xbox but it's one of the most ionic video games ever and also the game that finally got me to try and fall in love with SciFi shooters.

Xbox 360: Halo: Reach
Up there with Fallout 3 as my favorite game of all-time

Xbox One: Quantum Break
My favorite game of this generation

Xbox: Halo
Xbox 360: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Xbox One: Quantum Break*

* if I had to say one, but I haven't had my Xbox One for a long time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
360: Perfect Dark Zero
X1: Crimson Dragon strangely enough.

I think i just went with the first game i played in each generation

Orenji Neko

Xbox: Ninja Gaiden (A lot of Sega games come to mind 🤘)
360: Gears of War (Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, and Lost Odyssey are close runner ups)

Ian Henry

Xbox: It's a tie between Halo, Ninja Gaiden, and Dead Or Alive 3.
Xbox 360: Gears Of War
Xbox One: Ori and the Blind Forest

Garnox

XBOX - Halo/Halo 2/Soul Calibur 2

360 - Gears of War/Halo 3/Marvel UA/Rock Band

One - Destiny 2/Rocket League

Mind you these were the games I played and make me think of those consoles.

Now, the first games that I were exposed to, looks a little different.

XBOX - Toejam and Earl
360 - Geometry Wars
One - MCC

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox - Halo
Xbox 360 - Gears
Xbox One - Reveal Disaster (yeah, it's not a game but no game will be remembered as fondly as their beyond horrible reveal disaster)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I didn't buy original Xbox or Xbox One, I had only owned 360.

360: Tales of Vasperia/ Lost Odyssey

I only have Xbox original, 360 was for me the worst console of my life (RROD and scratch games)

Xbox: Ninja gaiden Black

Xbox 360: Gears of war

Xbox one: Never had it because thanks to xbox 360 it made me lose confidence in its quality in Xbox line.

LaunchCode

Neophyte
X Box: Halo 2, for sure. That game fucked me up on Xbox, it was just like, something entirely new. Up until then I had been playing pixelated RTS games on a dumpy laptop. That was world-rending.

360: Halo 3. Met way too many good friends and burnt way too many hours on it. Forge mode god mode.

One x: Lmao I don't even know I don't own one.

ph33rknot

Banned
Og Xbox Halo/Morrowind/ leisure suit larry mcl
360 Fable2/The shivering lsles /Halo Reach
Xbone Dying light /Crackdown3/Halo Guardians only mp

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Xbox: Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Xbox 360: Sonic Unleashed
Xbox One: Yooka-Laylee

(of course, Halo and Gears would also come to mind for the first two generations for me, but first would be games I care about)

Bryank75

Banned
Xbox 360: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher / GRAW
Xbox One: Super Lucky's Tale

Xbox Scarlett: Halo Hulu

Last edited:
X-Box - Halo Combat Evolved. Never forget the first time playing this as it blew my mind. Like high end pc gaming on a console and I had read the positive reviews in Edge magazine and felt like it would never live up to the hype. I used to play multiplayer with my nephew using two portable televisions so we could not see each others location.

X-Box 360 - Project Gotham Racing 3. Mind blown playing my own music whilst razzing around city streets in the sun. The weather effects where ace and the game felt fast. I lived in a dodgy part of a city at the time and used to hide my xbox in the wash basket when I left the house in case we ever got robbed.

X-Box One - Pubg. Only reason I got an xbox was after reading up about the game and looking at how much fun it looked. I was not disappointed and it remains one of my favourite games of all time. I find it peaceful and stressful all at the same time and only ever had one chicken dinner.

Top Bottom