• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

Gameplay looks great.

Graphics are rough. But would be shocked if they stay that way - Gears UE looked better in multi, and I am hopeful Gears 4 multi will ultimately look better than UE-multi.

Wow. This is a real "beta" it seems. Lighting is only baked in the level, no dynamic lights yet, no shadow effects, AO, selfshadowing, AA basically a bunch of effects missing, UI is straight ripped out of Ultimate and level textures seem very lowres.

krang

Skipped through it and watched some bits.

Looks fun, but graphically super underwhelming.

Could pass for a remaster IMO.

Unfortunately I agree. I think it's the scenery - lighting model is bland and textures are so-so. Character model textures look a whole step up, though. Still time to tweak, I guess.

I didn't see the need for 60fps in Gears MP, but clearly others do. Hopefully SP looks spectacular.

DrakeDeception

Neo Member
I would be more worried if the game looked like that closer to release but it's just a beta. The only issue is with most games passing off what are essentially demos as betas. It can leave people with the impression that this is what it'll look like when released.

No shadows and no AO, I imagine those are part of the beta experience though as the effects are not finalised.

Either that, or xb1 is slower than I thought.

Trup1aya

30fps plays fine too. So?

I never thought after playing Gears 1 to 3 on 360, that the game needs to be 60fps.

But everyone prefers different things^^ :)

30fps plays fine. But 60fps plays better.

I'm disappointed with these visuals, but I've never known pretty graphics to positively impact the MP experience in the way a steady 60fps framerate does.

Kinyou

This looks pretty underwhelming. Not much of a difference to the ultimate edition

Thankfully they already showed the SP where the real changes seem to happen.

cripterion

I know it's not the final game but I'm seriously not expecting anything jawdropping anymore on Xbox One at this point.

Let's hope for decent performance at least.

When it comes to a competitive shooter I'd take 60 fps over graphics; it’s not even a contest for me. The game doesn’t look bad at all. So I’m glad they kept to their design goals.

tskeeve

This probably sounds blasphemous to some people here, but 60fps is making this almost nauseating to watch. It's too frenetic. I've played a lot of GeoW1, but not 2 or 3, so maybe the speed has changed since then, but this looked way too fast/jumpy.

S.Holmes

Banned
Wow...that looks bad. If you hadn't told me this was GOW4 gameplay I could've easily mistaken it for GOW3 or GOWUltimate gameplay. Most disappointing gaming news of 2016 so far.

leeh

Couldn't be more thrilled. Looks and plays like Gears.

Only bad thing, that blood splatter is awful but I expect that to change.

Edit: I see there's already loads of comments saying it looks rough. It's 1080p/60fps and is an early beta. Seriously?

Yeah, this is a beta indeed

it is also due to launch in 6 months.

EDIT: Just watched it again. The beta could pass for a remaster. Looks super rough. Things can change in 6 months though.

Any good example of a final release game looking drastically different than its beta?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This probably sounds blasphemous to some people here, but 60fps is making this almost nauseating to watch. It's too frenetic. I've played a lot of GeoW1, but not 2 or 3, so maybe the speed has changed since then, but this looked way too fast/jumpy.
...I mean, the video in question here is 30fps so you're missing half of the information. It's a poorly encoded, half frame-rate video. Not representative of what you'll see in motion.

There is clearly still a lot of refinement that needs to happen, though.

people have been trained to think "beta" means demo. 6 months from release this is obviously not final.

The developers only have their selves to blame for that, how many Betas have come out a month before the game. At this point most betas are just a demo without the day one patch. At best they are allowing the developer to stress test their servers.

I said I was quite unimpressed with this visually in my last post, but I will say this feels more like a proper Beta as their is plenty of time to change and improve the game before October.

nOoblet16

No shadows and no AO, I imagine those are part of the beta experience though as the effects are not finalised.

Either that, or xb1 is slower than I thought.
UE multiplayer had no shadows either, all baked in.

I am just assuming 1080P/60FPS and dynamic shadows are just hard to do for Xbox One in UE4.

tskeeve

...I mean, the video in question here is 30fps so you're missing half of the information. It's a poorly encoded, half frame-rate video. Not representative of what you'll see in motion.

There is clearly still a lot of refinement that needs to happen, though.

Oh, fair enough. Thanks for the correction.

nOoblet16

Shoot, roll, shoot shoot, roll, roll, roll, roll.

Fucking yawn.
What did you expect? It's Gears of War multiplayer.

Plus it's being played by someone who doesn't know how to wall bounce or slide cancel. And he never really used any weapon other than Shotgun and Lancer.

Warxard

Banned
Hmm, nice to see that the Torque Bow's back. Super weird to see Locust weapons though.

Active damage is back? You'd think they'd take the only thing good about Judgment and keep that removed. Active damage boosts have always been irksome.

Otherwise? It's Gears. I'm hype.

Nibel

it is also due to launch in 4 months.

It will launch in 6 months.

Tons of shit in that beta is so obviously WIP that it isn't even worth being concerned about; like of course they won't launch the game like this

I blame publishers for misusing the word 'beta' for advanced multiplayer demos instead of actual beta game builds

nOoblet16

The shadows casted from the characters are not dynamic? Of course they are despite the rest are prebaked.
Do character shadows really count ? Especially when they are lit by an invisible point light source hovering around the character and not the lighting found in the environment.. which is all baked in UE. Even Gears 1 did that.

Point is, UE was similar to this in this regard.

Kei-

Toma! lmao

As just about everyone has said, the graphics aren't impressive. Wonder if this is a legit beta build tho, if there will be significant graphical improvements come release time. I mean, beta isn't alpha either, so I don't expect a tremendous improvement. hope I'm wrong. Will be playing the beta tho, looking forward to finding out how it plays and feels.

Rocketz

I blame publishers for misusing the word 'beta' for advanced multiplayer demos instead of actual beta game builds

agreed_pirates_caribbean.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Was watching this a while ago before coming here too.

A shame people's eyes don't seem to be that good, considering it's clear that the visuals are far from finished in that video - the biggest sign being no shadows whatsoever. There's missing effects as well too, extremely obvious to me at least.

Regardless, the biggest thing I wanted for Gears 4 was for it to play like Gears 3 and improve from there, because I felt that Gears 3 was the perfect balance for gameplay in MP for the series. Not counting the Retro of course. Been asking for this for as long as I could remember. And they did it by looking at this video. The movement, the gameplay, the shooting - even the Lancer & Gnasher sounds are all back to Gears 3-style and I couldn't be happier, huge smile on my face right now. The way Gears UE was designed and looked/played/sounded had me worried a bit. Those worries are gone now.

Loving all of the little eSports-esqe additions that help out like the round counts between rounds, score at the top of the screen etc. (although I was a fan of how Gears kept the in-game UI empty until you shot, but I can let it slide).

So happy with this, the gameplay is exactly how I wished for it to be, it's at 60fps on top of that, and the graphics will obviously improve considering that this is a true beta and not a demo.

Good stuff to The Coalition, I'm already sold and waiting to see if/what the console bundle will look like, hopefully an Elite bundle is in the works.

EDIT: Nice, they even have Lancers WITHOUT the wooden stock at the end, which I also didn't like, let me keep my classic looking Lancer, or at least between the new and old one. Good stuff. The killfeed shows the Lancer icon with that stock though, I hope it's a choice to keep the classic one.

Another interesting thing I saw was that even with a full 5v5, you can have at least one spectator, looks like space for 4, very nice addition as well.

What did you expect? It's Gears of War multiplayer.

Plus it's being played by someone who doesn't know how to wall bounce or slide cancel. And he never really used any weapon other than Shotgun and Lancer.

We could be watching multiplayer of GoW1/2/3 for all I know. You'd think after 10 years, it would be something different? I hate to say it, but at last the CoD games have changed for the better.

I'm sure the Single Player campaign will be great like the past games, but the MP isn't selling itself to me at all.

Theorry

We could be watching multiplayer of GoW1/2/3 for all I know. You'd think after 10 years, it would be something different? I hate to say it, but at last the CoD games have changed for the better.

I'm sure the Single Player campaign will be great like the past games, but the MP isn't selling itself to me at all.

Yeah thats why everyone wants COD 4 remaster.

Warxard

Banned

Nah When people advocated change in Gears MP we got Judgment and that game was trash.

COD can afford to change because ANYONE will buy CoD.

If Gears 4 MP was anything but a more refined Gears 3 MP with some dope QOL and Sandbox readjustments I would not buy this game.

It will launch in 6 months.

Tons of shit in that beta is so obviously WIP that it isn't even worth being concerned about; like of course they won't launch the game like this

Also worth mentioning the builds in these public tests (especially in a real, honest beta), are generally older builds. It's not like they just compile a build on the 18th and say have at it. They have to start preparing for the beta test way in advance to have everything in order for it to run on a retail box.

Who knows how old the build is, could be only a few weeks, could be longer, but it's not likely that it represents the final game. You can tell the difference between an actual beta and a pre-launch hype demo.

Top Bottom