• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First glimpse of new Rare game? (terrible picture quality)

IOnEI Falcon

Jul 14, 2010
www.rarethief.com
Rare logo for reference:

And the picture:

Much better quality below:

Taken from around the 10:30 minute mark of the reveal today:

Thanks to airborn and CrunchinJelly for pointing out the Crackdown orb on the far left of the same screen!

And as TheOddOne and a few others pointed out, perhaps the images above it are related?

Xav

Dec 12, 2006
A conference so bad that people have to use MS paint to highlight where the games were.

Forsaken82

Oct 9, 2010
Chicago, IL
Looks like another Kinect game to me. So it very well could be Rare. Sadly enough.
It is definitely a Rare asset, based on the logo in the upper right corner... not sure how that equates to a Kinect game though... or how being kinect specific makes it Rare...

(unless that icon is something completely different fromt he Rare R)

Bread

Banned
Jun 21, 2010
Looks like another Kinect game to me. So it very well could be Rare. Sadly enough.
Based off of what?

Not that I'm denying the fact that Rare is most likely being wasted on Kinect, just found it weird you assumed that from this picture.

lefantome

Mar 8, 2007
I hope it's Crackdown.

What about that kind of forest tech demo they had running in the background?

NotLiquid

Aug 30, 2012
Banjo I know you're hiding somewhere in those low res trees in the background

It's not a Banjo game, is it

May 16, 2012
So this gives more proof to that rumor about Rare making a game set on an island.
Looks medieval to me... which disproves the other rumor of a samurai style game.

Pic above it looks like Lionhead.

The pic above that could be a new IP, gritty style so maybe Black Tusk.

Third from the left... Big Park?

Also, yay Crackdown 3!

Byronic Hero

Aug 26, 2011
Where you live
Based off of what?

Not that I'm denying the fact that Rare is most likely being wasted on Kinect, just found it weird you assumed that from this picture.
Logo

And based on the fact that it looks like it is geared toward a younger audience. And since most games with that type of art style have been for Kinect (Wreckateer, Kinect Adventure, ect.) it seemed likely that this would follow suit.

God I wish it was Banjo. Rare even has him on the main page of their site in his N64 non-blocky form, TWICE. It's like they are taunting me.

derFeef

Jan 21, 2010
Do you guys think the small graphic demo we saw with the ligh ball was from the rare game?

Sep 5, 2012
Utah
A conference so bad that people have to use MS paint to highlight where the games were.
The conference wasn't about games. You can't even be mad about the lack of games considering Microsoft themselves said from the get go "It's about the hardware not the games".

Anyways, looks... promising... didn't notice it, was too busy screaming over Forza Motorsports 5 being in the tray :p So... Rare's game isn't Banjo-Threeie... or Conker... or Viva Pinata... or Killer Instinct... but a new IP. Okay... I'll bite if it's good.

Hix

Jul 24, 2011
Belfast, NI
Logo

And based on the fact that it looks like it is geared toward a younger audience. And since most games with that type of art style have been for Kinect (Wreckateer, Kinect Adventure, ect.) it seemed likely that this would follow suit.
Are you unfamiliar with Rare's art style? Cartoony is what they do. Conker's Bad Fur Day looked like it was geared toward a younger audience. It wasn't.

Seems to me like Microsoft are moving Kinect away from gaming and more into the functionality zone too, but we'll see.

Byronic Hero

Aug 26, 2011
Where you live
Are you unfamiliar with Rare's art style? Cartoony is what they do. Conker's Bad Fur Day looked like it was geared toward a younger audience. It wasn't.

Seems to me like Microsoft are moving Kinect away from gaming and more into the functionality zone too, but we'll see.
I know that's Rare's style, but I'm just going by what they have released in the past couple of years.

It's possible that they are making non-Kinect games, but the way the character is facing the camera and gesturing towards the player makes me think it's something like the last Fable game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Jun 7, 2004
We all have clamoured for new IPs from Microsoft for so long now. But what if they're all shit?

Mar 20, 2012
Sweden
Ahh, very nice! Yeah, the Ryse, Black Tusk and "family island game" are pretty good guesses on the ambiguous frames.
In case you want to know why I concluded those:

Family game: Floating Island setting (rumors said the game was based on some sort of island)
Ryse: Greek architecture-like buildings
Black Tusk: This one is really just pure speculation, but it could be a guy standing in some sort of space void (I can't explain it very well) All rumors said that BT is working on a space shooter.