• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

I like playing against people splitting a screen four ways. I eat them like muffins. >:) Dat draw distance. On Hemorrhage they never even see me.

seriously, 4-player split screen is the best thing for game nights and keeps Reach near the 360 for that, if for no other reason.

No, a slow paced game would be a game without sprint. Reach was anything but boring; unbalanced, yes, but not boring. Close range kills only? I personally got a vast majority of my kills with the dmr in Reach, were we playing the same game?

How much success do you have shooting long range in Reach with the DMR and finishing kills alone? With the long as hell kill times, they're always going to get away unless they're out in the middle of Blood Gulch or someplace equally as bad.

Ranged combat has been neutered since Halo 3. The Halo 3 BR had spread to discourage ranged shooting, and the DMR had to deal with bloom and a laughably slow kill time compared to the Halo 1 pistol or H2 BR. It wasn't even worth putting shots on someone in the distance since they're just going to recharge to full anyway.

I found the DMR to only really be effective at close to close-medium since it's almost impossible to escape at that range. Anything further than that and I would need assistance from another player to get the kill before they duck behind something and charge back up. At least the vast majority of the time, I don't count kills on players that decide to randomly jetpack straight up in the middle of nowhere, or that have no spacial awareness for cover. This weakens the individual player and makes teamshotting almost a necessity.

I don't want another Uncharted 3. At launch, that game nailed the trifecta of effective evasion mechanics, high health that regens, and long kill times. It was dreadful. Something has to give. At least not everyone always had Sprint in Reach (though Evade and Armor Lock were sometimes even worse) but now that it's a core mechanic, kill times better be fast as fuck to compensate.

How much success do you have shooting long range in Reach with the DMR and finishing kills alone? With the long as hell kill times, they're always going to get away unless they're out in the middle of Blood Gulch or someplace equally as bad.

Ranged combat has been neutered since Halo 3. The Halo 3 BR had spread to discourage ranged shooting, and the DMR had to deal with bloom and a laughably slow kill time compared to the Halo 1 pistol or H2 BR. It wasn't even worth putting shots on someone in the distance since they're just going to recharge to full anyway.

I found the DMR to only really be effective at close to close-medium since it's almost impossible to escape at that range. Anything further than that and I would need assistance from another player to get the kill before they duck behind something and charge back up. At least the vast majority of the time, I don't count kills on players that decide to randomly jetpack straight up in the middle of nowhere, or that have no spacial awareness for cover. This weakens the individual player and makes teamshotting almost a necessity.

I don't want another Uncharted 3. At launch, that game nailed the trifecta of effective evasion mechanics, high health that regens, and long kill times. It was dreadful. Something has to give. At least not everyone always had Sprint in Reach (though Evade and Armor Lock were sometimes even worse) but now that it's a core mechanic, kill times better be fast as fuck to compensate.

I definitely think faster kill times would be agreeable in order to make up for everyone having sprint (and additional abilities to boot). I still think the concept sprint, if implemented correctly, adds to the overall dynamic of the game. So I guess we'll wait and see if 343 takes what you've said and makes kills quicker to counterbalance these aspects of the gameplay. I would be fine with 4 dmr/br hits to kill; I agree that 5 is just too many.

Yo Gotti

Banned
What was wrong with evade?

If anything it moved a bit too far, too fast. If it was improved to be more realistic I'd love to see it come back. It makes sense that a Spartan would have a quick dive/evasion move and it was hell of fun to use.

Down talkers are just mad because they couldn't hit their marks. Apparently even a guy sprinting is too fast for the average Halo player. :lol

Always thought Armor lock was the only bad AA. As someone who love to stick people it made it not fun anymore in this game.

However if there is no armor lock what will be the bubble shield in this game?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So........split screen?

Halo is one of the few major titles left that has 4-player online split screen, what about 4?
This is very important to me as well, hope it get's answered proper; devs seem to easily forget about splitscreen even when they do rarely support it.

I can dream of 4 player splitscreen co-op, but I doubt they will suddenly do it now.

Havok

If anything it moved a bit too far, too fast. If it was improved to be more realistic I'd love to see it come back. It makes sense that a Spartan would have a quick dive/evasion move and it was hell of fun to use.

Down talkers are just mad because they couldn't hit their marks. Apparently even a guy sprinting is too fast for the average Halo player. :lol
It exacerbated existing problems with close quarters combat. Guy rolls up to you, lunges with the sword, rolls away towards the next target, repeat. There isn't sufficient risk involved for the sword user in the situation because he is overly agile at close quarters, especially in an environment where there is no shield bleedthrough. Folks' issues with it rarely had anything to do with a target getting away at mid-to-long range.

Sprint currently does the same basic thing to normal melees. Double beatdowns are too frequent, but an animation delay before meleeing after coming out of sprint would solve the issue, as would making melee less powerful.

Coxswain

I'd rather have longer kill times than shorter ones, if anything. FPS games are boring as shit unless individual fights last long enough for the advantage to realistically go back and forth at least two or three times before someone dies.

I'd rather have longer kill times than shorter ones, if anything. FPS games are boring as shit unless individual fights last long enough for the advantage to realistically go back and forth at least two or three times before someone dies.

eh how long you talking about 5 shot was too much already when Reach came out.

Coxswain

eh how long you talking about 5 shot was too much already when Reach came out.

Reach didn't bother me, but it's on the short end of my comfortable range, considering that Halo is a pretty low-mobility game and there's really not many options to meaningfully evade or move in ways that make you difficult to hit; you pretty much need to tank shots or put a wall between you and the enemy..

Reach didn't bother me, but it's on the short end of my comfortable range, considering that Halo is a pretty low-mobility game and there's really not many options to meaningfully evade or move in ways that make you difficult to hit; you pretty much need to tank shots or put a wall between you and the enemy..

eh I think most people want halo to be faster pace and it looks like so does 343. with all the AA and spartan III suppose to be weaker the amount of shots to kill somebody should have decreased not increased.

K.Sabot

*reads article, specifically about Cortana*

Anyone feel they ripped this from Xenocide/Children of the Mind?

They're totally gonna fuck.

I really hope not, and don't feel the article suggested anything of the sort. It seemed to make a point of discussing the relationship as a friendship, as I hope it remains.

And if you want your sci-fi story to take inspiration from books out of the Ender saga, those are the wrong fucking ones. Blech. Bogging down your narrative with a sudden and bizarre obsession with pairing all of your characters off is more of a Bioware thing anyway.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I'm not buying Halo 4 until Frankie confirms a hot sex scene between the Cheif and Cortana.

TheOddOne

So the majority of the discussions seem to be focused on multiplayer, understandable, but let’s focus on the newly announced Spartan Ops. Yes, it feels like a rip-off of COD’s Spec Ops at first glance; but the way they present it sounds interesting.

Info we have about the mode:
  1. “Think of them as away missions from the UNSC Infinity” – Josh Holmes.
  2. Built to be played with your Spartan 4 from multiplayer.
  3. The mode let’s up to four players work together on a evolving episodic campaign, comparable in scope and size to the single-player storyline.
  4. It is structured like a TV season, each week players get a CG movie that shows the story behind the UNSC Infinity.
  5. Along with story, five objective-based cooperative missions will be released
  6. The missions being released are new content, offering unseen events, locations, and challenges.
  7. You earn “Spartan points” during these missions.
  8. Like the campaign, you can set the difficulty to your liking and re-play them as often as you want.
  9. They are not paid DLC packs — they are an integral part of Halo 4’s story and will be played out in several months of content.
  10. The mode was made to bridge the gap between SP and MP fans.
  11. Lead Designer on Spartan Ops is Chris Haluke (previously from Guerilla Games, worked on the Killzone Franchise).
My thoughts:

Sounds like every ambitious undertaking, episodic content always starts out promising but in most cases always fizzles in the execution half way. And let’s be honest, this sounds way to good to be true; not DLC? Free content for months? Surprising to say the least. Sounds like something typical for a season pass.

So, as most of you already know that Firefight is not coming back as a dedicated mode; which means it will not be there when you boot up Halo 4. People have however seen Spartan Ops as a replacement/evolution for Firefight — which makes sense to some degree. What I hope though is that we get to customize Spartan Ops as much as we could Firefight. This mean tinkering with every aspect, such as waves, skulls etc. Usually we can count on Halo modes to be highly customizable, but none of those options where mentioned in the article. Then again, first time experiments are often limited in customizability (Firefight in ODST was bare bone, but great). Hope 343 clarifies this in the future.

I wonder how new this content really is, because usually these types of modes recycle tons of single player spaces. “Unseen moments” could be stuff looking from different perspectives, nothing wrong with that; but I would hardly call that new content. Yes, that sounds very knee-jerk reaction-age. There bound to be new stuff added to the mix, new voice work, going further then campaign etc. The again there is also promise of new locations, which sounds awesome and makes me wonder how further back they might go with the story. I personally hope they go out as make the Spartans as great as the one’s in Reach and give them enough personality; Kat, Emile, Carter etc where all fantastic for the limited time we got to be with them in Reach.

Don’t get me wrong, I might sound too pessimistic but I’m all for new experiments in the Halo universe. Your thoughts?

P.S.: Change the name of the gamemode, Sparten Ops sounds corny.

theoddone you can't look at it like firefight though. I doubt you can customize it too much because it is objective base not slayer base. you should be able to have modifiers like skulls and stuff but being able to choose what enemy you fight and what weapons you have, I doubt you will have control over that.

monome

So the majority of the discussions seem to be focused on multiplayer, understandable, but let’s focus on the newly announced Spartan Ops. Yes, it feels like a rip-off of COD’s Spec Ops at first glance; but the way they present it sounds interesting.

3. The mode let’s up to four players work together on a evolving episodic campaign, comparable in scope and size to the single-player storyline.
  4. It is structured like a TV season, each week players get a CG movie that shows the story behind the UNSC Infinity.
  6. The missions being released are new content, offering unseen events, locations, and challenges.
  8. Like the campaign, you can set the difficulty to your liking and re-play them as often as you want.
  9. They are not paid DLC packs — they are an integral part of Halo 4’s story and will be played out in several months of content.
  11. Lead Designer on Spartan Ops is Chris Haluke (previously from Guerilla Games, worked on the Killzone Franchise).
My thoughts:

Sounds like every ambitious undertaking, episodic content always starts out promising but in most cases always fizzles in the execution half way. And let’s be honest, this sounds way to good to be true; not DLC? Free content for months? Surprising to say the least. Sounds like something typical for a season pass.

So, as most of you already know that Firefight is not coming back as a dedicated mode; which means it will not be there when you boot up Halo 4. People have however seen Spartan Ops as a replacement/evolution for Firefight — which makes sense to some degree. What I hope though is that we get to customize Spartan Ops as much as we could Firefight. This mean tinkering with every aspect, such as waves, skulls etc. Usually we can count on Halo modes to be highly customizable, but none of those options where mentioned in the article. Then again, first time experiments are often limited in customizability (Firefight in ODST was bare bone, but great). Hope 343 clarifies this in the future.

I wonder how new this content really is, because usually these types of modes recycle tons of single player spaces. “Unseen moments” could be stuff looking from different perspectives, nothing wrong with that; but I would hardly call that new content. Yes, that sounds very knee-jerk reaction-age. There bound to be new stuff added to the mix, new voice work, going further then campaign etc. The again there is also promise of new locations, which sounds awesome and makes me wonder how further back they might go with the story. I personally hope they go out as make the Spartans as great as the one’s in Reach and give them enough personality; Kat, Emile, Carter etc where all fantastic for the limited time we got to be with them in Reach.

Don’t get me wrong, I might sound too pessimistic but I’m all for new experiments in the Halo universe. Your thoughts?

Episodic Halo missions is a god send.
I m still hopefull they go crazy and make a forunner vs flood firefight type game.
So much potential for mayhem

TheOddOne

theoddone you can't look at it like firefight though. I doubt you can customize it too much because it is objective base not slayer base. you should be able to have modifiers like skulls and stuff but being able to choose what enemy you fight and what weapons you have, I doubt you will have control over that.
Maby it’s just a pipe dream, but I wish it has the customizability of Firefight. This means you can alter much of the mission to your liking and share it with your friends (Again, changes such as waves, skulls). I would go as far as saving your could alter the play spaces with Forge, but that sounds really unlikely. That would be an awesome evolution though.

The daily challenge thing in Reach will be in Spartan Ops (from what we can conclude) and in Reach we pretty much got wave based challenges. So I kind of linked that up with the possibility of customizability in Spartan Ops. Then again, they might have switched up the challenges enough that wave-based challenges might not come up too often.

Maby it’s just a pipe dream, but I wish it has the customizability of Firefight. This means you can alter much of the mission to your liking and share it with your friends (Again, changes such as waves, skulls). I would go as far as saving your could alter the play spaces with Forge, but that sounds really unlikely. That would be an awesome evolution though.

The daily challenge thing in Reach will be in Spartan Ops (from what we can conclude) and in Reach we pretty much got wave based challenges. So I kind of linked that up with the possibility of customizability in Spartan Ops. Then again, they might have switched up the challenges enough that wave-based challenges might not come up too often.

I don't think we can use Reach as a reference since it is a Bungie based game. Think everybody should look at this as a reboot of the franchise and just see what 343 can do.

TheOddOne

I don't think we can use Reach as a reference since it is a Bungie based game. Think everybody should look at this as a reboot of the franchise and just see what 343 can do.
Much of the Armor Abilities, such as Jetpack, Hologram and Active Camo, are from Reach. I don't think 343 will throw away or neglect how feature rich each mode that has been introduced to the series, I would even go as far as saying that the features make half the game.

Much of the Armor Abilities, such as Jetpack, Hologram and Active Camo, are from Reach. I don't think 343 will throw away or neglect how feature rich each mode that has been introduced to the series, I would even go as far as saying that the features make half the game.

they could have easily taken them out. I am basically saying 343 have their own vision on how things should play out. They will cater to the hardcore, but will branch things out to see how far they can go without making people upset.

As someone who doesn't play firefight it doesn't bother me. The only features that need returning for me is a ranking system worth investing my time into the game again. Reach is a good game, but because it doesn't have a ranking system like Halo2 or even 3 there is no reason to keep playing multilayer for me to want to be the best at it.

Firefight has been my favorite mp mode, right after campaign coop, since it was introduced in ODST.
When I'm bored and don't feel like dealing with a played-out mp versus experience, I enjoy a solo Firefight game of Grunt head-poppin with Pinata confetti.
Sad to see Firefight go.

Another thing I've been disappointed in the series lacking has been bots for mp.
Whether it's for split screen play to fill out matches, or solo play for practice/fun.
One of the other leading FPS releasing this fall is boasting that it's bot AI in 'Combat Training" mode is much more improved (Black Ops2).

As far as new players joining a game in progress that has lost players due to quitting or launching without a full lobby, that feature should have been included...three Halo games ago.

Overdoziz

Banned
No, a slow paced game would be a game without sprint. Reach was anything but boring; unbalanced, yes, but not boring. Close range kills only? I personally got a vast majority of my kills with the dmr in Reach, were we playing the same game?
Sprint coupled with bloom makes the game so slow, go play MLG to compare. Reach MLG is soooo good.

Portugeezer

My thoughts:

Ok, but let's imagine the majority of this content is already on the disc but locked, then slowly unlocked?

My thoughts:

They are talking about mission not maps if im right. So maybe it will be one level with 5 mission objectives or 5 smaller levels like ME 3 multiplayer with one mission each.

This sounds more like a way for microsoft to test some next gen live features.
A lot of devs are asking for a faster way to get content to the players. But without the long certification progress ms uses for dlc content.

But i do like me some Horde style mode so i hope we can customize it.

TheOddOne

Ok, but let's imagine the majority of this content is already on the disc but locked, then slowly unlocked?
That would be my guess too. Which also leads me to think that Halo 4 might be a 2-disk game.

First disk is SP and second disk MP.

They are talking about mission not maps if im right. So maybe it will be one level with 5 mission objectives or 5 smaller levels like ME 3 multiplayer with one mission each.

This sounds more like a way for microsoft to test some next gen live features.
A lot of devs are asking for a faster way to get content to the players. But without the long certification progress ms uses for dlc content.

But i do like me some Horde style mode so i hope we can customize it.
New locations seem to imply new maps, especially if we are gonna learn more about the UNSC Infinity and the hardships of the Spartan IV's.

This whole concept sounds, like I said before, much like a season pass kind of offering. The fact that it is free kind of baffles me, I would expect Microsoft to monetize it. The way they will deliver the content is still not known, so you might be on the money that it is an experiment for next-gen.

Seems like a really positive attempt to prevent people from selling the game early.

Me like this incentive to combat used sales.
I think we can at least thanks EA for setting this kind of stuff up with Project 10 dollar.
BF3 - Back to Karkand
ME3 - The free multiplayer content, Free hopefully better ending but that should have been in the game from the start.

Shitty for used game buyers.

TheOddOne

Now that much of the dust has settled, I’m going to list the comments Frank and David made about the reveal. These things get buried fast, so I’ll put them all in one place.

Podcast and changes in MP:

For those expecting a podcast release this weekend, don't. All of the information you're getting at this point is from leaked scans of the GI article. As is the case with all cover stories, the magazine needs to start hitting more hands before we offer full clarifications.

I will say this, some of the conclusions that are being reached are not entirely accurate. Some of the mp items mentioned in the story have changed since the media visit. I can't really say too much more at this time, but please be patient while we begin clarifying and answering questions in the near future.

As Frank has said previously, we knew some elements of the Halo mp evolution would be controversial in some circles, while many others would be less so. Keep in mind that none of these design decisions have been made lightly, but have been carefully thought out and continue to be tweaked based on feedback from people playing the game.

And yes, Spartan Ops is as awesome as it sounds. Can't wait to share more.

About the mag, the info inside and the reactions:

The magazine scans were always going to come out the day after the cover debuted, that almost always happens. We can't talk about the story in detail, because it is GI's exclusive. I will say that some of the things that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example) but we will be able to clarify some of those things in due time.

Some of the other features, abilities, are also being discussed with no context (not your guys' fault, obviously) and frankly, a video of TS would probably allay many of the especially hysterical reactions, but we're not there yet.

We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story) and we will clarify a lot of this stuff 100% in the coming weeks and months. SOME of the things in here won't be properly understood outside of a holistic experience (modes, progress, fictional setting, etc) but I am going to say one thing and leave it at that:

It feels like Halo, it does NOT feel or act like the other game(s) it's being compared to. Again, without playing it, you can't be blamed for jumping to certain conclusions.

Dax wants Master Chief and Cortana to hump:

Forerunner Vision sounds like UAV in COD:

Not really. As will become clear. I imagine a competitive player with good situational awareness would try it once and eschew it for something else.

Wildcard power weapons:

You cannot start with snipers whenever you want. (unless you are playing a sniper mode)
The weapon drops are not "random." They are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is variation, however. Map control will still be key, but yes, changed. Custom games will be heavily customizeable, and initial playlists will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with stacksof lists, but there will be variety for different tastes.

Ace 8095

"You cannot start with snipers whenever you want. (unless you are playing a sniper mode)
The weapon drops are not "random." They are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is variation, however. Map control will still be key, but yes, changed. Custom games will be heavily customizeable, and initial playlists will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with stacksof lists, but there will be variety for different tastes."

This seems to be an attempt to avoid every an Ivory Tower situation where every game turns into holding on position. I think maps will be broken into multiple defensible positions and the power weapons will spawn there. The game will likely announce to all players the position the power weapon is spawning a few seconds before it happens. In this way power weapons are random in the sense you're not quite sure which spot your team will need to move to next.

"You cannot start with snipers whenever you want. (unless you are playing a sniper mode)
The weapon drops are not "random." They are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is variation, however. Map control will still be key, but yes, changed. Custom games will be heavily customizeable, and initial playlists will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with stacksof lists, but there will be variety for different tastes."

This seems to be an attempt to avoid every an Ivory Tower situation where every game turns into holding on position. I think maps will be broken into multiple defensible positions and the power weapons will spawn there. The game will likely announce to all players the position the power weapon is spawning a few seconds before it happens. In this way power weapons are random in the sense you're not quite sure which spot your team will need to move to next.

And they will funnel combat around those areas.
Now i just hope they dont take Team scoring and skill level into calculating the next location.
If Team A is behind 20 points of Team B then drop power weapons to the next location closest to Team A members.

Overdoziz

Banned
And they will funnel combat around those areas.
Now i just hope they dont take Team scoring and skill level into calculating the next location.
If Team A is behind 20 points of Team B then drop power weapons to the next location closest to Team A members.
So bad players get rewarded with power weapons, makes perfect sense.

Well fair enough, but it'll be more annoying for your foes if you're good at Halo (I read your posts on halogaf so I'm guessing you are). Plus, nothing like a good chase!
I'm not a good player at all which makes it even more frustrating. Can you imagine how frustrated all the new players will be when they're trying to get a kill and it just runs away?

So bad players get rewarded with power weapons, makes perfect sense.

No the opposite.

What meant was that they shouldn't take scoring and skill level to determine the drop zone.
I still rather have fixed dropzones with fixed respawn timers what they now did is warn new player who didn't take the effort to study/learn power weapon respawn mechanics/locations.

Taking away a skill that could be a variable what separates a great player from the bad.
Its a shame they take down the learning curve. You now have 2 less thing to remember.

inbe4 games are only quicktime events.

Back to learning for exams dam internet.

Top Bottom