• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 in game images [Up: Third New Screenshot In OP]

None of you have asked yourselves this question: What if it actually is running at that resolution? The team that they have put together at 343 is essentially an all-star team of developers. It's highly improbable for the Xbox to be able to do this, sure; but we have had no idea what these guys (and gals) could pull of before this moment. I'm not getting my hopes up, but having that kind of image quality would be fucking awesome!!! hahaha

PSGames

Texture resolution on the under-armor seems a bit low but these are zoomed in shots. I bet it looks great from a distance. Let's hope they've improved on animation. That's been my biggest gripe with Halo games.

GavinGT

Banned
... Did you read the thread yet?

That changes nothing. Bungie lied through their teeth in regards to pre-release screenshots. Or at the very least they stretched the truth.

The 360 isn't going to render an entire shot at that level of detail and at that resolution and with that amount of AA.

Exposed sides? Totally fine. But god damn we better armor the shit out of his fingers. Don't want them little piggies to get blown off.

Sophia

You know, an article back in 2008 made comments of next generation Xbox games being "forward compatible." I can't help but wonder if they'll announce the new Xbox at E3 and Halo 4 will be the first game to use this, hence the seemingly high image quality. >.>;

Anteater

... Did you read the thread yet?

Yea, I'm not a tech junkie but 100% untouch would mean the game actually runs at that resolution with good amount of fsaa as the screenshot right? 1600x900 is a lot higher than the original halo3 and reach isn't it? The image quality is pretty high in these shots, would be nice if it does look this way

Sai-kun

Banned
Yea, I'm not a tech junkie but 100% untouch would mean the game actually runs at that resolution with good amount of fsaa as the screenshot right? 1600x900 is a lot higher than the original halo3 and reach isn't it?

And Halo 3 is 5 years old.

KageMaru

It is a new engine.

Almost 100% sure it's not:

343's Frank O'Connor has confirmed that Halo 4 will be an Xbox 360 release. Despite speculation that the game might be a launch title for the next generation Xbox, O'Connor says the game will launch on current hardware and use a version of the existing Halo engine.

Your Locksmiths have the scoop on Halo 4.

"Halo 4 will be on Xbox 360 and use a modified core of the Halo engine(s)," O'Connor wrote on the NeoGAF forums. "Not really a singular engine since it goes through fairly radical evolutions all the time."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212411p1.html

None of you have asked yourselves this question: What if it actually is running at that resolution? The team that they have put together at 343 is essentially an all-star team of developers. It's highly improbable for the Xbox to be able to do this, sure; but we have had no idea what these guys (and gals) could pull of before this moment. I'm not getting my hopes up, but having that kind of image quality would be fucking awesome!!! hahaha

they already said they took bigger screens for print purposes ;)
my bet is the game will be running at 1152*720 just like Reach, plus fxaa

Dennis

Banned

Yes, why bother with inferior AA when you can just use Super Sampling on the 360.

Computron

5vj7Y.jpg

Hawk269

For new page.

Lol..Really Dennis...The thread is 3 pages (barely)...no need to post these large images on every page just yet. While I always appreciate you screen shots, your jumping hte gun a bit by spamming these in this virgin thread.

Looks great for modified halo tech.

I'm guessing its FXAA since HaloCEA had a great implementation of the effect, along with the blown up resolution. I could be wrong but doesn't 1600x900 scale down to 1280x720 as apposed to 1152x720 of halo reach?

So how excited are you for tomorrow?

IIRC FXAA doesn't work on shaders.

And yes, 1600x900 is a 16x9 aspect ratio. Still a bullshot. A bad one at that. It would look better at it's native resolution. Wouldn't show the imperfections.

How excited am I? Ultra. I love GDC. I look forward to it as much as E3 every year. I've got some major game designs I'm working on, and I love to see the trend and new tools and stuff that come out.

Thoraxes

Yea, I'm not a tech junkie but 100% untouch would mean the game actually runs at that resolution with good amount of fsaa as the screenshot right? 1600x900 is a lot higher than the original halo3 and reach isn't it? The image quality is pretty high in these shots, would be nice if it does look this way

That changes nothing. Bungie lied through their teeth in regards to pre-release screenshots. Or at the very least they stretched the truth.

The 360 isn't going to render an entire shot at that level of detail and at that resolution and with that amount of AA.

First off, this isn't Bungie. Second, it's been stated that it's been taken with a debug camera with DoF added. Third, they're untouched.

that front hand...

Not only is the wrist broken, but those daddy long leg fingers.

otherwise awesome shots.

ps, what's with the haloish looking effect in that first grab?

edit: I'm not a huge fan of the armor, the gun and visor look so much more well resolved.

Yes, why bother with inferior AA when you can just use Super Sampling on the 360.

I wasn't necessarily commenting on the ridiculous AA, but that couldn't have been understood from my original comment. I was speaking more in resolution terms. The FXAA they used in Halo: CEA worked well enough.

He already practically confirmed that it isn't running 1600x900 with his comment that games often being rendered at higher resolutions for print in response to people asking about it. 1600x900 is about 1.5x the pixels of 720p. The last few Halo games did not make it up to 720p, neither do most recent games that are trying to push the graphical envelope. The probability that this game runs natively 1600x900 is extremely slim.

And the Lord said to him, "Let there be sexy screen shots for all", and it was good.

I like what I see. The only thing we are missing from the puzzle now is video. I want/need video. The BR with scope is very nice. A touch of extra military detail and modernization for a classic weapon.

He already practically confirmed that it isn't running 1600x900 with his comment that games often being rendered at higher resolutions for print in response to people asking about it. 1600x900 is about 1.5x the pixels of 720p. The last few Halo games did not make it up to 720p, neither do most recent games that are trying to push the graphical envelope. The probability that this game runs natively 1600x900 is extremely slim.

It's zero on 360.

KageMaru

Ahhh wouldn't be a halo thread without the trolls.

he already confirmed the shots were blown up for press purposes but he edited his post. We're not getting halo at this resolution =p

Most devs use a tool that will up-res the vbuffer and add gallons of AA when taking screenshots from the 360.

So I wouldn't take the 1600x900 to heart guys.

And Halo 3 is 5 years old.

You're going to be in for a surprise.

You can't run a game at that high of a resolution with that type of AA given the eDRAM the 360 has.

FXAA and MLAA do not affect shaders, so the shaders on Master Chief would look highly aliased. This is a misrepresentation of the game.

cluto

It even says it in the article: "Not really a singular engine since it goes through fairly radical evolutions all the time."

Furthermore Kiki Wolfkill (EP of 343) and Josh Holmes (Creative Director) confirmed that it is a new engine in their interview with Gameinformer.

Devs always throw around the "new engine" term. This is undoubtedly an upgraded Reach engine, not something they made from scratch.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Seems we get similar kick off images each time - will wait for in game footage.

I -really- REALLY need Halo to change a bit more this time.

You're going to be in for a surprise.

You can't run a game at that high of a resolution with that type of AA given the eDRAM the 360 has.

FXAA and MLAA do not affect shaders, so the shaders on Master Chief would look highly aliased. This is a misrepresentation of the game.

Reach looked significantly better than Halo 3 as far as aliasing; plenty of 720p games look great. I guess all we can do at this point is hope.

Yo Gotti

Banned
There's more images coming today, right?

If this is all they have to show they might as well have kept it in the bag.

Top Bottom