• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First hands on impressions of Playstation Classic are going up.

am not surprised. Sony doesn't exactly care for anything in the past, they included about 15 mediocre games and 5 solid ones. instead of including potentially 10-20 exclusives that are hard to buy these days.

I think they shouldn't have bothered with a PS Classic. because when you start getting into early 3d games. your getting into outdated territory. NES is a bit outdated. SNES generation is one of the best aging system its because they mastered the 2D genre and games worked perfectly in that medium. PS1, 3D games were primitive and early. Not many want to play those games.

this system is not going to do well. at all

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
With any luck though, hackers will find a way to remove the pre-installed games or overwrite them with things we actually want to play.

It just means if there is only 8GB of flash memory, you'll only ever be able to have 20-25 games installed at one time.

Overall its not that many, and IMO anyone looking for a good machine to play emulated games the PS classic probably isn't the best way to go about it.

I was hyped for the hacking abilities, but no dualshock and limited space just turned me off to it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Overall its not that many, and IMO anyone looking for a good machine to play emulated games the PS classic probably isn't the best way to go about it.

I was hyped for the hacking abilities, but no dualshock and limited space just turned me off to it.

The Playstation TV playing PS1 Classics was a way better solution overall in my opinion. Hacking one to play games never released on that service or to load them from an external hard drive or SD card is the real sweetness.

stranno

Interesting, Sony is using a open source emulator:
Sony credited it in the menu (of course since it is GPLv2).

Its a fork of PCSX Reloaded for ARM devices. It was developed by PCSX Team along notaz (Picodrive guy) and Exophase (gPSP and DraStic guy). High-Level emulation bios (shame on you Sony!) and PBP file support, so they are just using their vanilla PS games from PSN.

PBP format supports compression. I hope the crappy SOC can handle it properly because games will probably use the maximum compression for flash memory savings.

Last edited:
Well that seems overwhelmingly crap on all counts.

I hadn't actually cancelled my preorder even when the list was revealed but will now as I've just cottoned on that no dualshock = no rumble plus the lack of filters and visual improvements is terrible as the PS3/PSTV actually makes them old polys look tolerable thanks to a quick slather of Vaseline.

They might as well have not made this day late and dollar short lackluster effort.

stranno

Fun fact: I have checked the size of some games. Unfortunately not all of those 20 games are available on the PSN so IDK the real size (i could compress them with PSX2PSP but that couldnt be exact). All of them in PBP format straight from PSN servers (IDK the compression, probably medium) and US versions.

Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash!
Metal Gear Solid
Mr. Driller
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

4,83GB. So with a 8GB flash memory they have enough space.

Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, Revelations: Persona and Tekken 3 are not in the PSN so IDK the size.

Last edited:

stranno

I heard the best racing game Cosmic Race is exclusive to the Canadian Version:
0.0 on Game Players, lol.

It probably has the worst mini-map ever seen in a videogame.

It was the second Playstation game released in 1995 and the 19th game of Playstation catalog tho.

Last edited:
Just released no DualShock also means no rumble.
Psycho Mantis: "Now I will move your controller........by the power of my will alone! .........FUCK!"
kaz-h.jpg

I miss Kaz.

Last edited:

Breakage

Psycho Mantis: "Now I will move your controller........by the power of my will alone! .........FUCK!"
kaz-h.jpg

I miss Kaz.
Haha yeah, the video in the OP reminded me of that moment in MGS – and then that made me realise there will be no rumble. It just won't be the same. RR: T4 will suffer from the lack of rumble too.

ultrazilla

Maybe it's just me but Playstation 1 games have not aged well to me. Glad I never pre-ordered this and don't plan on ever getting it.

Seems like they missed a ton of classic games you'd expect to be on it anyways. :messenger_crying:

Maybe it's just me but Playstation 1 games have not aged well to me. Glad I never pre-ordered this and don't plan on ever getting it.

Seems like they missed a ton of classic games you'd expect to be on it anyways. :messenger_crying:

Well to be fair the game list is bad. If FF7 is the graphical bar of your collection with it's shoebox models that's kind of meh.

nkarafo

You can have a much better experience with homebrew emulators. Once again official emulation efforts are unworthy.

Also 50hz? Not even if that shit was free.

Impotaku

Interestingly this thing is still available from amazon Japan not once has the preorders sold out yet. Hell even the neogeo mini managed to sell out of it's preorders. This thing is going to bomb, not even in the same league as the Nintendo ones.

To be fair, early N64 games are pretty bad too, just in a different way. I'd say the PS1 had it's own visual style and good devs could still make the games look nice. I think of games like Einhander or the GT games. At the time they were top notch, they also are nowhere to be seen on this thing. I get GT, car licensing is a nightmare now, but there are a ton of games missing from this thing that make no sense.

I can play all my old PS1 games on my PS3 so I really don't care. I feel bad for people new to the classic PS1 library, this is not the way to get you feet wet on them. Nintendo did a much better job re-releasing the their classic line and Sony had no reason not to do a better job choosing titles for this.

Fbh

Well visually the 3 types of Ps1 games that held up the best are: Games with cartoony graphics (Crash, Megaman Legends, etc), Games with good pre rendered backgrounds (Chrono Cross, FFIX, etc) and games with 2D graphics (Symphony of the Night, Megaman X3-6, etc).

And this collection has almost none of them.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just watched the tube from OP and I'm ok with what I saw. My only issue now is this 50hz. Is that the case for NA systems as well?

Fox Mulder

A shame really. Nintendo put heart into their Classics and set the bar high above all the AtGames flashback shit that had been out for years.

The ps1 has one of the best libraries of all time, but poorly reflected here. This generation of games was always going to look dated, but Sony didn't even offer any options to change display settings like Nintendo did.

Sony can fuck off with the 50hz shit too.

Last edited:
20 roms (poor game choices too) and an open source emulator in some crappy mobile hardware shell for $100? I don't know man. The classic psx controller also sucks and makes some games a chore to play. Should have come with a dual shock at least.

You're looking at a far superior experience just emulating your psx game collection on any old pc with epsxe. That gives you various filter and controller options too.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Well since this is open source, shouldn't it mean it's easy to hack and make the emulator do what we like it to do?

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
From what I've been hearing, the two most common complaints are that the package is barebones and that the emulation may have some issues.

Personally, I also find this era of gaming the hardest to go back to, due to how outdated all of these games feel now compared to modern games. NES and SNES still feel like timeless classics, but maybe not the PSX.
I think the classic N64 will also feel dated due to how early 3D games have aged.

The NES and SNES have some lovely looking games and retro 2D has aged better than early 3D games

I think the classic N64 will also feel dated due to how early 3D games have aged.

The NES and SNES have some lovely looking games and retro 2D has aged better than early 3D games
Yeah, a lot of N64 games have aged extra poorly thanks to the framerate of a lot of games, multiplayer especially.

Zewp

So they basically just cashed in on a trend in time for Christmas. No doubt it's going to move quite a few units as clueless parents buy it for their children for Christmas and then in January sales will dry up entirely.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah this sounds terrible. More like the really bad Mega Drive/Genesis machine and not like the NES/ SNES Classic.

I think I can officially say it’s not for me.

Aintitcool

Banned
Sony must have let a third party make this hardware, because this is not Sony quality. And makes the Nes classic look much better.

Last edited:
They're using an open-source emulation + ARM SOC, not a Playstation TV after all.

One of the biggest software/hardware companies ever, with some of the most experienced engineers in the industry, and they are using open-source stuff (when they have POPS) and crappy chinese hardware.

Unbelievable.

Even worse, that open source emulation is based off of PCSX, a PS1 emulator from PC.

Just how sad & lazy can you get?

Kagey K

Banned
Even worse, that open source emulation is based off of PCSX, a PS1 emulator from PC.

Just how sad & lazy can you get?
That’s where I’m at, these retro machines should seem like a labor of love or a celebration of the past.

Instead this seems like the most sterile way to invoke nostalgia. There seems to be no care or love.

Just a get it out and ppl will buy it mentality. I hope this isn’t the Sony going forward, because this is almost literally the worst way to do it.

That’s where I’m at, these retro machines should seem like a labor of love or a celebration of the past.

Instead this seems like the most sterile way to invoke nostalgia. There seems to be no care or love.

Just a get it out and ppl will buy it mentality. I hope this isn’t the Sony going forward, because this is almost literally the worst way to do it.

I agree. Sony wanted to jump into the classic system craze because of Nintendo, but have failed to realize why the NES/SNES classic systems are very popular & why they have sold as well as they did.

It was because that Nintendo had put a lot of thought, love & care into these platforms. They used their own quality emulators, they had a decent selection of games that most people wanted to play, & they even gave display & graphic settings among them.

Sony, however? Went the complete opposite. Not only did they chose a worse selection of titles, but had also went the lazy route by using a PC emulator instead of using their very own, & by also using European/PAL versions of games in which the majority of those versions are 50hz max. That's very unacceptable.

This just screamed cash grab all over, especially as they most likely put this out during the holidays just to try to get as much money out of people for their shoddy product. It's just as bad as those AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback systems. Very shameful.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
PS classic comes with two controllers, a neat UI with great save features, actual 3D games and classics unlike NES's 2D games.....It's only $99.99, what exactly did people want at that price? One controller with analog and rumble is already too much money, farless two...
I don't quite understand the comparison with the NES games. The selection always represents what the hardware had to offer. NES was a console from the 1980s so it's hard to expect good looking games. N64 Mini should have a cool selection of 3D titles. As for no Dualshock(s), I always say that the controllers for the modern consoles are way too expensive for what they offer and for their poor build quality. Besides they're gonna mass produce the thing so it's not it's going to cost them a lot of money.

Last edited:

Petrae

I cancelled my Best Buy preorder last night after taking in all of the early impressions. I’m not paying $100 for this low-effort piece of shit. It’s a cash grab, pure and simple.

Top Bottom