• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First human head transplant could happen in two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished Wolfenstein The New Order, and this just gives me the worst picture imaginable. That son of a bitch, Deathshead

RetroGreg

I don't know. Doesn't your brain tell your body and cells to age? I bet there would be some major implications and side effects after transplant. Maybe the aging process on a much younger body would be rapidly sped up?

Kickz

A head/brain transplant could answer so many questions but raise so many more.

I've always wondered if my brain had to be given to someone else, would they be me? Or would it just be me in another body? This would answer the question of whether we have a soul or not.

If we had souls then our consciousness/who we are will exist in some other way and a brain/head transplant would just carry over thoughts and memories but not the consciousness of that person. If we don't have souls then I'd just simply be in another person's body.

Nobody knows. I'm always intrigued. I personally believe I'd just be me in another person's body.

Lets say in the process that the soul leaves the body/ie you're essence is dead.

Then it'd be much like an organ donation.. except these organs come with memories..

...This is how the first Zombie will be born

Air

Banned
A head/brain transplant could answer so many questions but raise so many more.

I've always wondered if my brain had to be given to someone else, would they be me? Or would it just be me in another body? This would answer the question of whether we have a soul or not.

If we had souls then our consciousness/who we are will exist in some other way and a brain/head transplant would just carry over thoughts and memories but not the consciousness of that person. If we don't have souls then I'd just simply be in another person's body.

Nobody knows. I'm always intrigued. I personally believe I'd just be me in another person's body.

I don't really think it would answer that question. The person giving the body would be missing a head, so they'd be dead. The person getting the body would become the control center of the new body so everything would seem to work like the way it does. There are a lot of different ideas for what a soul is reported in doing, but I don't really think this tackles it when you analyze what's happening. If the soul is tied to the body, than a person getting a new hand would have less of a soul. If it's tied to consciousness of the brain or something than nothing really changes for the person getting the body.

Also what you wrote sounds like the philosophical concept of zombies.

I believe soul and matter are the same stuff so this doesn't really bother me anyway

Corgi

Banned
giphy.gif

ethics

E-Cat

I don't know. Doesn't your brain tell your body and cells to age?

Not really. There's no aging 'switch'. Think of the human body as a car - aging is just a byproduct of its normal operation. The difference is, we periodically fix our cars.

FloatOn

what they should do next is work on reversing the positions of the gentalia and butthole.

in this way you won't have to reach around to wipe your ass but sitting on your dick sure would be terrible.

Laekon

Is this a click bait science site? Has there ever been a fully functional transplanted limb? Maybe I'm missing something here but I've never heard of nerves being repaired, joined, or in any way fused so that they allowed normal motor control.

This means we can finally get a sequel to Face/Off! Castor Troy may have died at the end, but he can still take his head...off! Apply directly to the forehead.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does anyone else feel really bad for the monkey in the story? I mean... thats horrible... really horrible. You cut off its head and put it on another monkey's body! And then it was paralized. And probably in a hell of a lot of pain and had no clue what was happening. For 9 whole days it had to "live" like that. Then it died.

..Thats Saw level insanity.

malfcn

I would expect massive therapy. The battle against psychologically rejecting the new body, as well as physical rejection being a major set of hurdles.

slit

The first successful head transplant, in which one head was replaced by another, was carried out in 1970. A team led by Robert White at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, transplanted the head of one monkey onto the body of another. They didn't attempt to join the spinal cords, though, so the monkey couldn't move its body, but it was able to breathe with artificial assistance. The monkey lived for nine days until its immune system rejected the head.

Man that just makes me sad. :(

Melon Husk

The excerpt about the first surgery with the monkey it's the stuff of nightmares

If just reading about it gives you nightmares, never look at the Russian video footage. Edit: Russia did the detached dog heads, USA transplanted monkey heads.

funkypie

Banned
Ok so what happens to the head of he body that is receiving the new head? Do they just volunteer to die?both parties need to be alive first don't they? What's the point of moving a head to a dead body.

The Beard

Ok so what happens to the head of he body that is receiving the new head? Do they just volunteer to die?both parties need to be alive first don't they? What's the point of moving a head to a dead body.

The body donor would have a healthy body and presumably be brain dead.

Melon Husk

Is this a click bait science site? Has there ever been a fully functional transplanted limb? Maybe I'm missing something here but I've never heard of nerves being repaired, joined, or in any way fused so that they allowed normal motor control.

There has been arm transplants. A german farmer (?) received a dual arm transplant. I thought his body started rejecting them later, but guess not. [Deutche Welle] [Guardian] [BBC] Even found a catalogue site for these.

huxley00

Ok, lets think about this for a second. Lets say that this is a possibility and it can happen. Who is going to give them the human body? Lets say someone dies young, is an organ donor. You think that body would go to one person with cancer? Pretty unlikely, you could save many more people by parsing out the organs individually in most cases. Then again, if this whole "lab grown organ" thing works out...

Ok, lets think about this for a second. Lets say that this is a possibility and it can happen. Who is going to give them the human body? Lets say someone dies young, is an organ donor. You think that body would go to one person with cancer? Pretty unlikely, you could save many more people by parsing out the organs individually in most cases. Then again, if this whole "lab grown organ" thing works out...

Well, they would sell it to whoever has most money of course

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I imagine there will be a subset of lower rung humans grown in labs just for the sake of their bodies. When they reach certain ages they are then killed and decapitated while their bodies remain preserved for potential buyers in a black market.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I imagine there will be a subset of lower rung humans grown in labs just for the sake of their bodies. When they reach certain ages they are then killed and decapitated while their bodies remain preserved for potential buyers in a black market.

This feels like a plot from Cloud Atlas

Meffer

This just raises a lot of concerning questions if this came to be. Where will they get bodies? Donated by people? How long will rehab be?

And then there's the black market and the implications freak me the fuck out on that.

The bad outweigh the good in this case imo.

Am I wrong to wonder where the bodies are going to come from?
Soylent Green is people. Or for those who do not get this reference, the homeless population will be good enough.

Serious response, I have no clue. If someone just died, then their body would not be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom