• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image of BioWare's new series. [Nirolak Is Bad At Guessing.]

All things said, I wasn't expecting Bioware's newest franchise to be Rage. Expected a new Mass Effect cycle being presented as a "new IP". That would have been disappointing, but preferrabvle to whatever's going on in that screenshot. I only care about Bioware insofar as they relate to RPGs - I can't imagine how a drop of RPG gameplay can be squeezed out of the scenario present in that screenshot. Oh, well.

Luthos

With this picture I've finally had the "ugh, another desert game?" reaction. Which is funny, because I was fine playing Uncharted 3 for the past week.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nirolak said:
Clearly EA's doing another Syndicate style reboot.

http://www.abload.de/img/wlbox-covfr46856.jpg[/QUOTE]

iirc Inxile Entertainment bought the Wasteland IP from EA.

on further reflection i now came to the conclusion that this will be a post apocalyptic first person shooter which will feature DM style multiplayer, Kinect/360 exclusive!

Post apocalyptic road-warrior game? Like fantasy, Chinese mythology and sci-fi before it, BioWare decide to stay relevant by making a game with a theme that everyone else has already run into the ground.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
auto_duel.jpg

inky

Deified Data said:
I can't imagine how a drop of RPG gameplay can be squeezed out of the scenario present in that screenshot. Oh, well.

I don't know man, it could still be a post-apocalyptic-top-down-turn-based-strategy-combat-racing game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nirolak said:
They did.

I was just making a joke, but they already announced this is a new IP.

It will be freaking funny if this new ip ended to be a Fallout clone/post apocalyptic WRPG when EA just sold Wasteland IP like nobody's business a few years ago.

i-Lo

Lot of knee jerk reactions in this thread.

I wonder if it will be only on this generation of consoles... (besides PC, of course)

Symphonic

Could be good. They have a tendency to make great original games and then put out lackluster sequels, so that's something.

monome

Weren't there a year or two ago leaks on Bioware castings for males/females of all ethnicities for what seemed to be a spy fiction?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
monome said:
Weren't there a year or two ago leaks on Bioware castings for males/females of all ethnicities for what seemed to be a spy fiction?

yep

It's a spy game, I predicted this too.

I also predict a lot of "blah-blah-blah-blah-Alpha Protocol was better"

Ventrue said:
What a surprise. GAF despises Bioware game with only one image to go on.

It's a pretty shitty image dude. I mean, a lot of people on GAF hated GTAIV but the reaction to the tease of that was nowhere near as dismissive. It's also pretty understandable because the shot looks like it could be from one of the most oversaturated themes in gaming, the post-apocalyptic wasteland. And it's not just a BioWare thing, id copped a huge amount of shit about the way RAGE looks as well.

Ventrue said:
Didn't GAF vote ME2 game of the year? Didn't most critics give it that also?

GAF just loves to hate Bioware. When Dragon Age came out, it was the worst fucking thing ever. DA2 came out, and suddenly DAO was brilliant and DA2 ruined it. Same thing with Mass Effect.

Oh okay, we're playing this game where we pretend that GAF is a hive mind so we can chuck a fit about something. Sorry, please continue.

Ventrue

Kyoufu said:
They have themselves to blame after ME2 and DA2.

GAF just loves to hate Bioware. When Dragon Age came out, it was the worst fucking thing ever. DA2 came out, and suddenly DAO was brilliant and DA2 ruined it. Same thing with Mass Effect.

Moaradin

Ventrue said:

This is NeoGAF dude.

webrunner

Remember folks, Bioware are the worst at marketing and PR. Dragon Age: Origins was sold as a bad-ass action-filled blood romp.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've been doing some digging and I think I've figured out what this is.

Would it be too presumptuous to put my speculation in the OP? It would clearly be labeled as speculation.

It is as follows:

Visceral Los Angeles is no longer part of Visceral: http://www.visceralgames.com/careers

Visceral Los Angeles was made up of the remains of Pandemic, who used to be part of BioWare.

Visceral Los Angeles was working on what used to be Mercs Inc, but the project was later moved to Frostbite 2 and was going to be part of Army of Two 3.

Mercs Inc looked pretty similar (conceptually) to this game teased in the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwRYU6xrJ8

Okay so this seems to be Command & Conquer. What on earth happened to Visceral Los Angeles?

Uh. I have no idea what that video was all about. That said, in my experience you guess right far more often than you guess wrong Niro, so I say go for it.

kamspy

First post etc.

Sandy deserts have become developers refuge while the consoles wheeze away on life support.

Nothing easier to render than barren wasteland.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jim-jam bongs said:
Uh. I have no idea what that video was all about. That said, in my experience you guess right far more often than you guess wrong Niro, so I say go for it.
All right. Thanks.

Nirolak said:
I've been doing some digging and I think I've figured out what this is.

Would it be too presumptuous to put my speculation in the OP? It would clearly be labeled as speculation.

It is as follows:

Visceral Los Angeles is no longer part of Visceral: http://www.visceralgames.com/careers

Visceral Los Angeles was made up of the remain of Pandemic, who used to be part of BioWare.

Visceral Los Angeles was working on what used to be Mercs Inc, but the project was later moved to Frostbite 2 and was going to be part of Army of Two 3.

Mercs Inc looked pretty similar (conceptually) to this game teased in the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwRYU6xrJ8
Great. Now I want a frostbite powered Mercs game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here was one of the job postings for this project that I posted as possibly being Mercenaries 3, but was later informed that it was Visceral Los Angeles' (before they became BioWare Los Angeles?) project, used to be Mercs Inc, and was now (then?) attached to Army of Two 3.

EA Jobs said:
Position Summary:
EA Los Angeles is looking for an experienced Multiplayer Level Designer to work on an unannounced Third Person Shooter game with strong multiplayer focus. The Level Designers play a very important role in game development, creating memorable environments and gameplay elements to satisfy an increasing sophisticated and widening games audience. They need to be inventive and understand the design factors that contribute to an entertaining and absorbing gameplay experience. The Level Designer will be working from the overall game design documentation, designing a portion of the game specifying all the possible actions and gameplay events that take place within that level. The Level Designer will also design the level environment, including locations and general layout of the spaces within the level, contributing thoughts about visuals (e. g. lighting, textures, and forms), the characters and objects involved, and specific behaviors associated with the characters and objects.

Responsibilities:
•Carry a multiplayer level from the first ideas and pen to paper concepts through playtesting and to the release.
•Work closely with artists to ensure the final product has an equal gameplay and visual qualities.
•Utilize cutting edge Frostbite 2 tool set and the collected knowledge of 7000 EA co-workers around the globe to deliver world class multiplayer levels.
•Imagine the position of the player and mapping out all the possibilities—logic and flow of events and actions, the conditions that need to be met for certain things to happen, and the gameplay that occurs as a result.

Qualifications:
•Shipped one or more AAA multiplayer first person shooter game.
•Strong knowledge or experience with editing software such as Hammer or Unreal Ed.
•Experience using industry standard 3D modeling packages such as Maya or 3D Studio Max and ability to quickly learn new engines and game technologies.
•Background or education in design, engineering, and/or software development.
•Understanding of programming languages (e. g. C++) preferred. Strong understanding of Visual Scripting and Scripting Logic
•Passion for multiplayer games, game design.
•A portfolio containing video and images of finished multiplayer levels, strongly preferred.
•4-7 years experience in Design role within game industry.
Source: https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000000raAeAAI (The position was filled so this link doesn't work anymore.)

Ventrue said:
What a surprise. GAF despises Bioware game with only one image to go on.
Let's be fair - if the image was awesome, we wouldn't be hating. The image is brown and shooter-y. It invites criticism.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I checked through the rest of EA LA's job postings and can't find anything else helpful.

The job postings are all for Danger Close, Victory Games, or generic currently.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm fairly confident this isn't even an RPG at this point, so I'm not sure Alpha Protocol comparisons would make sense.

DTKT

I was wondering. Is it even still a good idea to associate Bioware with every single new project from EA?

I mean, Warhammer Wrath of Heroes and now this? (and it's probably irrelevant since noone that doesn't read vidja games forums cares about a studio name)

Top Bottom