• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image of Moby Dick Studio's (The Phantom Pain) CEO Joakim Mogren

Santar

There's a HUGE difference in recreating a room, and a 100% realistic looking animated human being. Look at the way he moves and emotes in the video. It's so way beyond everything we've ever seen in a game, or even a movie.
But hey if it actuaklkly turns out to be the fox engine I'm not complaining.

Gorillaz

Nah, it looks like B is Fox engine because of jaggies and the reflectance on the frame of the television missing
really? I felt the way the light beams in A reflect off of the wall and ceiling seemed too strong/perfect. The upfront chairs also seem too "perfect".

MormaPope

Banned
Even though I already read the theory that Mogren was made with the Fox Engine, it just hit me how fucking awesome it would be if that was true. The fact that this wasn't an interview but a promo for what's to come with the Fox Engine is actually genius.

Persona86

Banned
That's not a real image, right? That's a pretty fancy engine.

That's a real comparison and when it came out I remember reading comments from people saying it wasn't impressive lol.

But simple environments like that are pretty easy to make look real, people on the other hand are the hardest possible thing to make look real, because our brains are trained to spot anything strange from the usual faces we have seen all our lives.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's a real comparison and when it came out I remember reading comments from people saying it wasn't impressive lol.

But simple environments like that are pretty easy to make look real, people on the other hand are the hardest possible thing to make look real, because our brains are trained to spot anything strange from the usual faces we have seen all our lives.
He is wrapped in bandages though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Big ass grin on my face right now IF Morgen is indeed rendered on the Fox Engine in that interview. I hope it's true.

Persona86

Banned
Another clue is how they tried to get as little as possible of Morgen in the video, less chance of mistakes and less work on renders/animation.

MormaPope

Banned
Shit, the "look at my ipad" skit would be a situation where a person wouldn't question if the situation was real or not, it just seemed like a goofy segment, but the Mogren and the ipad were both CG and not real.

Him showing the ipad wasn't just a joke, it was another piece of showcasing the Fox Engine.

Varth

If you pause randomly here and there it shows pretty well. Of course, it may be suggestion, but yea, I think its CG too.

MormaPope

Banned
Now GAF thinks he's CG? What the fuck is going on in here?

Look at the right side of his neck and his eyes, the shadow on his neck goofs up and his eyes make a really unnatural movement. Shit, look white his eyes are, the more I look and watch the interview the more CG it looks.

cyHls3L.gif

Konosuke

Come on, I believe in the CG argument , but it being a Fox Engine demo? People barely believe Deep Down is legit, how can this be real?

DieH@rd

Banned
Just saw it, and it went exactly as I expected. Serveral unanswered questions, promise of future reveals, and small surprise just to keep the lolz flowing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That would be really mindblowing... I don't believe it yet. It looks too perfect.
Same here, don't believe as well but holy shit if that turns out to be the case. My respect and adoration for Kojima would skyrocket if that turns out to be the case. This whole circus till GDC is going to be hilarious though. Any PR is good PR, I guess.

Gorillaz

I still think its real but I will admit that when he makes that funny ass stare the whites of his eyes do appear strange.

Boris

Neo Member
Interesting, if you look at the shadow on his neck under the jaw on the right side, it looks very strange, also he does seem to have that Fox Engine smoothness. If this is CG OMG.....

It is interesting that the whole video felt like Geoff was talking as if nobody was really there, even the room the guy is in seems different, maybe they sent him the video and he made up questions?

Also, what's up with that weird half-blink? Don't eyelids usually close all the way when you blink? Or am I crazy...

edit: I didn't see the video, was talking about this .gif in particular.

cyHls3L.gif

Persona86

Banned
Come on, I believe in the CG argument , but it being a Fox Engine demo? People barely believe Deep Down is legit, how can this be real?

Well since it only has to render a face, they might be able to get away with it, in a game thou they have to render the whole environment etc too, so that would be another matter all together.

But yeah now I'm 80% sure this is CG, lol this is crazy.

The videogame part or area of 4Chan.

Oh! Thanks.

They are not in the same frame because the interview was not in the same room at the same time and that shadow thing on his chin is a reflection from his ipad or somebody took a photo real quick.

Dawg

It could be CG, but I wouldn't say that's certain. Don't forget your mind will start seeing things just because you think it's CG.

Donos

By the way who or what is /V/?

a dark place you should never venture to. It is mentioned in the Necronomicon as 4chan.

btw. when you look at the left edge of his thsirt/neck, it widens a little in a weird way, like someone is pulling the shirt from the left. the more i see it the more i'm agree with this theory.

Varth

I still think its real but I will admit that when he makes that funny ass stare the whites of his eyes do appear strange.

Fact is, the stare is exactly the kind of exagerated stare that you see in engine demos.
Angry old man, sad, surprised... this is the kind of stuff you would show to the press, no?

Donos

By the way who or what is /V/?

a dark place you should never venture to. It is mentioned in the Necronomicon as 4chan.

btw. when you look at the left edge of his t-hsirt/neck, it widens a little in a weird way, like someone is pulling the shirt from the left. the more i see it the more i agree with this theory.
cyHls3L.gif

DrBo42

Look at the right side of his neck and his eyes, the shadow on his neck goofs up and his eyes make a really unnatural movement. Shit, look white his eyes are, the more I look and watch the interview the more CG it looks.

cyHls3L.gif

It's not a shadow mistake, it's a lighting change. Maybe his ipad or a cue they played to have him do that shocked reaction (they have to prep a camera for that since obviously this is all scripted). He's not CG. You even see Keighley looking down toward the ipad as they start to talk about it, he's talking to a person.

Persona86

Banned
It's not a shadow mistake, it's a lighting change. Maybe his ipad or a cue they played to have him do that shocked reaction (they have to prep a camera for that since obviously this is all scripted). He's not CG. You even see Keighley looking down toward the ipad as they start to talk about it, he's talking to a person.

But the shadow on his cheek literally disappears, it turns white.

Santar

Gotta say this thread is fun to read, people keep seeing new evidence of cgi every minute now. Don't look to carefully at yourself in a mirror you could turn out to be cgi too, see that shadow on your chin, doesn't it appear to look a bit off? :p

MormaPope

Banned

I'm rewatching the interview right now and Geoff isn't in the same frame or areas as him during the ipad segment, Mogren is using it himself, Geoff never enters the same frame as him during the entire interview.

Also notice how the backdrop behind Geoff is bright and you can clearly see his shadow, Mogren has a dark backdrop behind him to potentially mask or hid a shadow.

BosSin

I'm not entirely convinced about him being CG, if you look at the Gametrailers footage itself the shadow disappearance is less pronounced.

DrBo42

I'm rewatching the interview right now and Geoff isn't in the same frame or areas as him during the ipad segment, Mogren is using it himself, Geoff never enters the same frame as him during the entire interview.

Also notice how the backdrop behind Geoff is bright and you can clearly see his shadow, Mogren has a dark backdrop behind him to potentially mask or hid a shadow.

You guys have lost your minds. VFX studios can't even make fake humans this convincing with eyes or mouth movement and you think Kojima Productions managed this for a fake interview? The fuck?

Top Bottom