• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Images from Netflix’s Live Action Cowboy Bebop

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will watch it but it is no British Bake off.

credits were way to long for a modern show, it is very anime that fills the runtime.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Trailer looks good to me. With how badly anime live actions have been received Im not expecting them to sink billions of dollars into this. Also I remember the first time I saw the anime the production wasn't wowing me immediately. It was the characters.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

As expected

Kev Kev

WTF. This better be a joke. Looks nothing even remotely close...
35x9zbl345q71.jpg
Yeah I expected this

Ive seen a couple clips of the actor talking about how important it is to be inclusive of trans people and and basically made the roll more about trans activism rather than accurately portraying Gren.

Gren never even explicitly said he was trans and his role in the show had nothing to do with inclusivity and trans rights and all that. He had tits because of a drug he took to help him cope with Vicious falsely testifying against him, essentially betraying him, which hit Gren hard since him and Vicious fought a war together and were like brothers.

He’s a beloved character and they are doing him an absolute disservice by turning him into a tool for activism and woke inclusivity points. It’s such a blatantly, grossly, transparent pandering maneuver. I mean, it’s borderline offensive in and of itself, and the trans community needs to see through this kind of disingenuous fakery and call it out for its bullshit.

Im just going to try and ignore it, along with all of the other things I’m sure they will butcher, and try to just enjoy it for whatever the hell it is. But yeah, Jupiter Jazz 1 and 2 are my favorite bebop episodes, and to turn Gren, who is the heart of those episodes, into a tool for trans activism is an absolute disappointing shame.

Last edited:
Yeah I expected this

Ive seen a couple clips of the actor talking about how important it is to be inclusive of trans people and and basically made the roll more about trans activism rather than accurately portraying Gren.

Gren never even explicitly said he was trans and his role in the show had nothing to do with inclusivity and trans rights and all that. He had tits because of a drug he took to help him cope with Vicious falsely testifying against him, essentially betraying him, which hit Gren hard since him and Vicious fought a war together and were like brothers.

He’s a beloved character and they are doing him an absolute disservice by turning him into a tool for activism and woke inclusivity points. It’s such a blatantly, grossly, transparent pandering maneuver. I mean, it’s borderline offensive in and of itself, and the trans community needs to see through this kind of disingenuous fakery and call it out for its bullshit.

Im just going to try and ignore it, along with all of the other things I’m sure they will butcher, and try to just enjoy it for whatever the hell it is. But yeah, Jupiter Jazz 1 and 2 are my favorite bebop episodes, and to turn Gren, who is the heart of those episodes, into a tool for trans activism is an absolute disappointing shame.

Agreed Jupiter Jazz storyline was one of my favorites as well and not that the music werent great in the entire show, but those two episodes in particular has some of my favorite music.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Yeah I expected this

Yup, this pretty much confirms to me why they race swap Jet and changed fey's attire to show less. These virtual signalers assholes ran a diversity checklist on the source material, effing shame.
I have a bad feeling for ed.

Javthusiast

Banned
Yup, this pretty much confirms to me why they race swap Jet and changed fey's attire to show less. These virtual signalers assholes ran a diversity checklist on the source material, effing shame.
I have a bad feeling for ed.

Same studio responsible for the live action adaptation of my most favourite manga, One Piece. I am ready for the worst.

thefool

Yeah I expected this

Echoing what another user said in this thread "if nerds are mad, im happy", im starting to believe that Netflix genuinely hates the fandom this type of entertainment tends to attract and kinda enjoys to bastardize it, butcher it and perhaps takes pleasure in seeing the negative attention it gets on anime/manga communities. Like you said, ignoring it altogether is the appropriate reaction.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Echoing what another user said in this thread "if nerds are mad, im happy", im starting to believe that Netflix genuinely hates the fandom this type of entertainment tends to attract and kinda enjoys to bastardize it, butcher it and perhaps takes pleasure in seeing the negative attention it gets on anime/manga communities. Like you said, ignoring it altogether is the appropriate reaction.
Honestly, I think it's mentality like this that are the problem.
I'll give it a go.
The fact this is getting made doesn't mean the original series blinks out of existence.
If it's shit, it's shit.
That just means I'll just watch the original if I want my Bebop fix.
This is how netflix and many other studios think. They don't give a shit about the original and it's fans, so they don't see any need to care about accuracy. In their eyes the original is always there, so if they, for example, take a anime like Death Note, and fuck it up, well the original is always there.

"Why are you angry? Shut up and consume.?

CGiRanger

Banned
This honestly feels like the current MO of anything coming from the film/hollywood/video studio's mentality lately. They keep trying to bring back old franchises and series/ip's that were beloved in the past or have solidly established fanbases. But the studio heads or whoever is in charge of things basically go "fuck the fans. I want this new take to be a vehicle for "having a conversation" on current/modern day politics/issues", or that somehow going woke will attract a massively new audience than the previously established fans.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Netflix doesn't care if you hate watch something or just not watch content in protest, they just want you to SUBSCRIBE.

The ONLY signal they understand is CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION. Even for just a month. If they see a decline in membership then they will be forced to cater to the departing crowd to earn them back. If you just write off that $15/mo or whatever and bitch on the internet instead of voting with your wallet, they win.

sol_bad

Netflix doesn't care if you hate watch something or just not watch content in protest, they just want you to SUBSCRIBE.

The ONLY signal they understand is CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION. Even for just a month. If they see a decline in membership then they will be forced to cater to the departing crowd to earn them back. If you just write off that $15/mo or whatever and bitch on the internet instead of voting with your wallet, they win.

This is not true, you don't have to cancel the subscription to send a message. Look at the shows that get cancelled or movies that don't get a sequel on their service. That's a direct result of not enough people watching the show or movie. So you can keep your subscription (if you want to) and just avoid what you think looks shit.

And the thought process of some people in here and on this forum can be weird. Why would any multi billion dollar company want to remake anything that has a fan base with the intention of pissing them off? The aim is to make money, not lose it, and also to grow an audience. Why would they try and force people to work hundreds of hours and spend millions of dollars to make a product from hate? It makes no sense.
Chances are if they make a shit show they got the wrong people for the job and didn't realise it at the start of pre-production.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Kev Kev

yknow what

screw it

ill give it a shot
i feel the same. there are going to be things i dont care for, i already expected that even before we got details, but im still down for the ride and looking forward to checking it out. i like how faithful they were with some things like the costumes and the "living room" in the bebop, and they got the original composer, plus some of the scenes look straight 1:1 from the anime. so yeah, heres to hoping for the best

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is not true, you don't have to cancel the subscription to send a message. Look at the shows that get cancelled or movies that don't get a sequel on their service. That's a direct result of not enough people watching the show or movie. So you can keep your subscription (if you want to) and just avoid what you think looks shit.
No, if you stay subscribed but angry they won't care and will just tease you along with another shit show the next month. They get paid the same whether you are happy and subscribed, angry but subscribed, or just forgot you were subscribed entirely.

The only thing that will make them change is losing subscribers. Stop settling for shit shows that just barely justify that monthly fee and the promise of "the next thing will be better". Cancel, tell them why, and then don't resubscribe until they make something you like.

I've figured out part of the reason why the Netflix opening looks so corny.

There's 100% less smoking compared to the anime OP. Spike's not allowed to just lean around and Philip Marlowe it.

sol_bad

No, if you stay subscribed but angry they won't care and will just tease you along with another shit show the next month. They get paid the same whether you are happy and subscribed, angry but subscribed, or just forgot you were subscribed entirely.

The only thing that will make them change is losing subscribers. Stop settling for shit shows that just barely justify that monthly fee and the promise of "the next thing will be better". Cancel, tell them why, and then don't resubscribe until they make something you like.

I mean, there are plenty of other shows and movies to watch on there. I'll watch the first episode of Cowboy Bebop and if I hate it I won't watch any more of it. I won't be angry though, I have the anime on blu ray and can watch it at any time.

The only time I get angry at poor adaptations or remakes is if a company has a license to something in perpetuity. Examples being the Spider-man films from Sony and X-Men movies from Fox. We were stuck with these companies films and couldn't do anything about it. Sony have made 4 average to terrible Spidey based films in a row (SM3, AMS 1 and 2, Venom) and Venom 2 looks to be just as terrible. X-Men, you never knew what you were going to get, was it Days of Future Past / Logan or X-Men 3 / Apocalypse / Dark Phoenix? I'm glad that Marvel Studios have been able to step in for those properties.

I'm annoyed and slightly angry that Netflix have the Millerworld license after how terrible Jupiter's Legacy was. But not enough to cancel my subscription.

At least with Cowboy Bebop and One Piece, if they both turn out terrible, chances are they won't get a 2nd chance to redo them.

*EDIT*
I'll just randomly say I have no idea how anyone can like that shitty Money Heist show either. Terrible, terrible shit.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

Aside from Fey, the original costume designs didn't really bother me. That trailer however, seems like they are trying to do a 1:1 remake which I do not think is the direction to go. This should have existed on it's own.

Kev Kev

Aside from Fey, the original costume designs didn't really bother me. That trailer however, seems like they are trying to do a 1:1 remake which I do not think is the direction to go. This should have existed on it's own.
there are a few clips that show some 1:1 scenes, but i highly doubt the whole thing will be 1:1

Was wondering when they were going to drop that, seemed beyond stupid that they had the movie up for some time now, but not the series needed to understand it.

I’ll at least give the live action show a shot, at least they avoided the mistake that other live adaptations seem to make and actually made it a series, instead of trying to squeeze 8 hours of plot from the anime into a 90 minute movie like everyone else seems to attempt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom