• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at a retail Switch game(Bomberman)

Oregano

So this was posted on a Twitter which has since been taken down but someone in Australia opened up the case for Super Bomberman R and gave us a good look at the interior and the cartridge.

PHiLvzC.jpg

Reseal me and sell as new if old.

McCoolName

Neo Member
The interior looks really cool. So many lost opportunities by so many companies by not doing something like this with their games.

Seeing how small the cart is in the box makes the box look daft and at the same time the box was not big to even start with.

If you're referring to the Japanese ones a few weeks back those did not have cartridges inside of them and also they are retailer placeholder boxes. Those of which can have some small differences with the final retail versions (for example the back cover might have more information on pre-order bonuses).

Shahadan

It looks like there is some space reserved for booklets or something by default. Probably some code for first party games to redeem on mynintendo

120v

i shouldn't be impressed by such things in 2017 but its kinda mindblowing to me the size of the cards, considering how big the games will get eventually

Cepheus

The inside cover art looks nice, but it's a shame it doesn't look as good as the Japanese version that was posted here a while ago.

RM8

I do like the cases but I feel like they coulda also brought back the landscape cases ala JP GBA cases or the N-Gage:

I think my favourite part is the uniform red spines though.
N-Gage boxes were awesome. Heck, I loved my N-Gage. N-Gage did nothing wrong!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No nintendo quality manuals anymore ;_;

jonno394

That is an awful waste of plastic

Some people have theorised that it's due to the the idea that some people will identify smaller boxes with inferiority. The switch cases aren't much smaller in height than blu ray cases so won't look too different from the spine when browsing in a shop.

Glass Joe

That is an awful waste of plastic

They're $40-$60 games. If they make the boxes too small, they'd be easier to steal and retailers might not like that.

I wonder why the contacts in Switch cartridges are so crazy long.

Yeah I've never seen a cartridge look so "exposed" before. I hope that doesn't impact durability. Seems like they'll be far easier to break if exposed to the elements, etc.

I didn't even know that was a thing till you pointed it out. Should look sharp on my shelf.

If Bomberman has inside art, I'll have to wager this is in fact standardized. Really cool.

I wonder why the contacts in Switch cartridges are so crazy long.

More pins/contact points allow faster transfer speeds. That's my guess.

I read elsewhere that the Switch carts are optimized for fast read speeds, and they don't allow writing on them (like 3DS/DS carts for saves for example) to further optimize them for faster read speeds. This is good, lower loading times.

weekev

Banned
I do like the cases but I feel like they coulda also brought back the landscape cases ala JP GBA cases or the N-Gage:

Wonder if they will have the odd game that bucks the red spine trend a la Mario Maker.

Oregano

More pins/contact points allow faster transfer speeds. That's my guess.

I read elsewhere that the Switch carts are optimized for fast read speeds, and they don't allow writing on them (like 3DS/DS carts for saves for example) to further optimize them for faster read speeds. This is good, lower loading times.

Yup, it's probably what makes the loading for The Legend of Zelda so quick.

deoee

Nice waste of limited ressources on the huge ass box! :)
Is this size really necesary?

Other than that the artwork inside is really cool

Decider

Would've preferred a case the size of the ones 3DS games come in. Artwork is lovely but I have finite shelf space and I'll be damned if I ever go digital.

Shame you can't update carts with small patches though.

Top Bottom