• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the design of the new Radeon RX 6000 series.

LordOfChaos

AMD is creating a problem. Others are solving the problem.

How about AMD just not create the problem? You're coming off pretty idiotic.

Lol alright man, not getting pissy like you over an easily solved nonissue is the idiotic take here. Don't want to download fortnite and really want a glimpse of that sexy plain backplate -> watch any of the videos already springing up. But you do you.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Buildzoid speculating this might be HBM due to card screw positioning. This is getting interesting! Only way I'm not getting a 3080 this week is if they do leak it's HBM. Still seems like a stretch but I never had hope at all before now. :messenger_weary:

frostyxc

Does anyone believe this will complete with the 30XX series?

Do you mean like madly fall in love and get engaged on a yacht; a "you complete me" sort of thing? Probably not. AMDizzle and Nvidia don't seem to be the best of buds.
Are techtubers just going for negativity points now? They showed the card on twitter, just with a fortnite easter egg, who the hell cares. I say this as someone who gives absolutely no craps about Fortnite, some of the no fun police need to chill out.

Since we're on this train... I really hope the kids don't "bag" their parents' heads, take them to a black site, and then torture them until they get the latest and greatest AMD card. Maybe he means it more in a "bag on" sort of situation, though. That's just rude.

Regardless, I hope this spurs some price wars for once. With AMD's recent history as my guide, however, I'm guessing not, but it never hurts to be optimistic.

supernova8

Banned
Dual 8-pin suggests power hungry to an extent but not as crazy as NVIDIA cards?
Considering they should be significantly more power efficient, does that mean clocks are boosted really high?

GHG

Gold Member
Dual 8-pin suggests power hungry to an extent but not as crazy as NVIDIA cards?
Considering they should be significantly more power efficient, does that mean clocks are boosted really high?

No dual 8 pin suggests about the same amount of power (or up to). The AIB Nvidia cards use 2 8 pins in most cases.

It looks like a huge improvement over their previous reference card coolers, hopefully they cool the card as well as the look would suggest.

Also, I hope the red is customisable RGB. I hate cards coming in with these opinionated colours. Just make them black with RGB accents and let the end-user decide on the colours.

supernova8

Banned
No dual 8 pin suggests about the same amount of power (or up to). The AIB Nvidia cards use 2 8 pins in most cases.

It looks like a huge improvement over their previous reference card coolers, hopefully they cool the card as well as the look would suggest.

Also, I hope the red is customisable RGB. I hate cards coming in with these opinionated colours. Just make them black with RGB accents and let the end-user decide on the colours.

Yeah and it certainly looks better but I cannot help but feel that their cards still come across as childish-looking. The FE 1080 was one of the best looking cards I've ever seen. That metal shroud looked so cool.

I know it's an after thought following actual performance but it'd be nice to have a nice looking card.

edit: weren't some of the NVIDIA cards using triple 8 pin or dual 12 pin or am I dreaming that up?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah and it certainly looks better but I cannot help but feel that their cards still come across as childish-looking. The FE 1080 was one of the best looking cards I've ever seen. That metal shroud looked so cool.

I know it's an after thought following actual performance but it'd be nice to have a nice looking card.

It's not even an afterthought for me, my case has too much glass for me to not worry about how the card looks. Luckily for AMD certain AIBs will save them in that regard, as they always do.

GHG

Gold Member
edit: weren't some of the NVIDIA cards using triple 8 pin or dual 12 pin or am I dreaming that up?

12 pins are only on the FE cards. Both the 3080 and 3090 have single 12 pin connecctors.

Some AIB cards have triple 8 pins for the 3090 but not all. Most are still 2 8 pins from what I've seen.

GreatnessRD

A white backplate? Weak! Definitely interested in the power draw and specs with them dual 8 pins. Both Nvidia and AMD about to have them cases spicy, lol

CuNi

Lol alright man, not getting pissy like you over an easily solved nonissue is the idiotic take here. Don't want to download fortnite and really want a glimpse of that sexy plain backplate -> watch any of the videos already springing up. But you do you.

But he's right.
When they announce it, I want to see it. I don't want to have to watch some weird ass guys "Tech" Video just to see how the card looks etc.
How hard can it be to just release the 3D-Model in a 3D Viewer for everyone to see? Why do I, someone who doesn't have fortnite and will not install that trash, have to resort to either watch a video or miss out?
It's obviously not a big issue, but it is one that is not necessary at all.

This just screams of "we need to somehow create media buzz" in a very desperate way.

LordOfChaos

But he's right.
When they announce it, I want to see it. I don't want to have to watch some weird ass guys "Tech" Video just to see how the card looks etc.
How hard can it be to just release the 3D-Model in a 3D Viewer for everyone to see? Why do I, someone who doesn't have fortnite and will not install that trash, have to resort to either watch a video or miss out?
It's obviously not a big issue, but it is one that is not necessary at all.

This just screams of "we need to somehow create media buzz" in a very desperate way.

He's not right that I'm an idiot for not finding it that big a deal. There's the back in the OP if you don't even want to find a video, but point being, people are getting WAY too cranky over fucking nothing.

CuNi

He's not right that I'm an idiot for not finding it that big a deal. There's the back in the OP if you don't even want to find a video, but point being, people are getting WAY too cranky over fucking nothing.

I obviously didn't mean the "you're a idiot" part, but the "AMD is creating a problem where there shouldn't be one"
And It's not "being cranky". AMD has a history of very very bad PR when it comes to their GPUs. They have a chance to really steal some wind out of Nvidia's sails by generating hype and controlled leaks to show possible buyers that their cards are indeed worth the wait etc. yet all they do is hide stuff in Fortnite. The first "announcement" that something big is coming soon was in Fortnite, now the 3D Model of the actual Card is in Fortnite.
Some gamers who play Fortnite might find this very cool, and I'm not meaning that this was a stupid move from AMD, the issue comes from the fact that the Fortnite way is not "supplementary" like to a news post or so where they also release all those details but it's exclusive to Fortnite.

The trend looks like this is becoming a habit for AMD and honestly it's one I don't really want to follow and by the looks of it, many other people don't want either, including Tech Youtubers.
It's all piling up to be another disaster TBH.

I hope this time, there is a good amount of contact between the heat spreader and the die because the VII had horrible die contact which made it really loud. Also, good on AMD for not blocking a significant portion of the heat sink with the Radeon logo unlike with the VII.

12 pins are only on the FE cards. Both the 3080 and 3090 have single 12 pin connecctors.

Some AIB cards have triple 8 pins for the 3090 but not all. Most are still 2 8 pins from what I've seen.

Yes, Ampere goes up to 12-pin for max 504W of power.

This is 2x8 pin for max 375W of power.

RDNA2 will be more power efficient. I'm also eager to find out if 'Infinity cache' (128mb accessible) according to Paul of RedGamingTech is real. This apparently helps with lower memory bandwidth.

kuncol02

Banned
That is not true, speaking from half a year ago experince on mining rig.
I know they blocked physix when you had AMD card in you system. Before that you could run games on AMD card with physix being calculated on some shitty Geforce.

Last edited:

Daggereye

Neo Member
I think it's a bit too big for my case, might need to buy a new hangar. :lollipop_sad_relieved:
YczaEAo.jpg

Last edited:

notseqi

Are techtubers just going for negativity points now? They showed the card on twitter, just with a fortnite easter egg, who the hell cares. I say this as someone who gives absolutely no craps about Fortnite, some of the no fun police need to chill out.

I feel like that dude is losing it, and not even in connection with AMD. Saw him on LTT videos a few times but now he is trying real hard to be as annoying and/or abrasive as possible.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i do like the design of the card but i'm not optimistic. they might be able to compete with the 2080 Ti (finally) and the 3080 but not a 3090.

they can't fuck up on pricing again. if it performs same as 3080 it needs to be less than £650.

Skifi28

i do like the design of the card but i'm not optimistic. they might be able to compete with the 2080 Ti (finally) and the 3080 but not a 3090.

They don't really have to though. It's a card with the price of a used car that isn't that much more powerful from the 3080. The only reason that few people consider it is nvdia gimped the Vram on the rest of the series. If amd can have a 3080 competitor with 16gb of Vram they'll be more than fine.

I feel like that dude is losing it, and not even in connection with AMD. Saw him on LTT videos a few times but now he is trying real hard to be as annoying and/or abrasive as possible.

He's an annoying little shit, I stopped clicking on his videos several years back as his content is designed for the novice and casual crowd.

That said, his tweet isn't really a dig, more just an annoying 'hey look at me I review stuff like this'.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I watched the jayz video, completely disagree with how overly critical he is being concerning AMD revealing the card design.
Only thing I agree on is the red accents look shit.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Performance doesn't scale linearly with cores, there's memory, ROPS, and the software layers it has to go through.
No shit, obviously ROP count is part of the design, so it does scale with more CU.
Memory is not an issue unless AMD want to gimp their own cards.
Software, really? really pointless to bring this up.

Yes it will scale linearly.

Ascend

The leak of the photo is now available on videocardz, including the render of a "smaller" unit with dual fan.

thelastword

Banned
So even when AMD improves the cooler, they still complain.....Imagine if AMD made another blower fan, there would be no end to the dogpiling. AMD puts a red outline on it's card to signify it's color they complain. No RTX with only 4 RTX games on the 5700XT they complain. I have a feeling that whatever AMD comes up with, they will complain.....

Get ready for, AMD 6700 is just as powerful as the 3070, it draws less power, it's quieter, but I prefer Nvidia's cooler design, so Nvidia wins.....

thief183

Nope Jayz is the best tech youtuber for modding and problem solving on PC hardware problem, he is pissed at AMD cause of the marketing, they made an announcement for an announcement...

notseqi

Nope Jayz is the best tech youtuber for modding and problem solving on PC hardware problem, he is pissed at AMD cause of the marketing, they made an announcement for an announcement...
Good thing no other company does that. I don't care what they claim, I want to see benchmarks and I don't see a reason to yell at clouds.

supernova8

Banned

Jay loves AMD at least in terms of CPUs. He's been pushing people towards AMD for a few years now. Radeon........... well I suppose I can understand people being cautious, but yeah faux outrage. Radeon has a lot less mindshare (and market share) than NVIDIA so AMD cannot just copy NVIDIA's approach and hope for the best.

Here's the video.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Yep, I never see the card other than to clean it, who gives a wank about red accents lol.
There needs to be a poll. Are people who are into maximizing fps in their games, playing the latest games at the highest resolutions, do they really care about looks or performance, because the appeal or lack thereof of a product is the most subjective thing there is.....He may not like the red outline but millions will, he may not like the design but millions will....

The question remains, do people who want the best perf really care about the aesthetics of their card or what color led is shown. Jay says the majority care, but how is he arriving at that conclusion. I could careless if it's a brick inside my case, do I have great performance, this is what I care about, yet we all know the AMD design is not a brick and it looks pretty slick actually...Yet I have not watched inside my case for a while, my machine runs fine and I do have a glass case, I even disabled the big blue led that was on my card....It shone the whole case. I could care-less.

supernova8

Banned
There needs to be a poll. Are people who are into maximizing fps in their games, playing the latest games at the highest resolutions, do they really care about looks or performance, because the appeal or lack thereof of a product is the most subjective thing there is.....He may not like the red outline but millions will, he may not like the design but millions will....

The question remains, do people who want the best perf really care about the aesthetics of their card or what color led is shown. Jay says the majority care, but how is he arriving at that conclusion. I could careless if it's a brick inside my case, do I have great performance, this is what I care about, yet we all know the AMD design is not a brick and it looks pretty slick actually...Yet I have not watched inside my case for a while, my machine runs fine and I do have a glass case, I even disabled the big blue led that was on my card....It shone the whole case. I could care-less.

I personally don't give a shit what it looks like as long as it fits, doesn't have stupid lights on it, performs well and doesn't get too hot. I despise LED lights, flashing, spinning round.

thelastword

Banned
I personally don't give a shit what it looks like as long as it fits, doesn't have stupid lights on it, performs well and doesn't get too hot. I despise LED lights, flashing, spinning round.
That is Jay though, he likes his stuff to mesh and to have a certain aesthetic.......I know he cares alot about these things, but I'm not sure why he projected that unto the majority of gamers......If you have been watching his videos like I have, the guy is a serious water-cooling fiend, he generally prefers to design his own water cooler than to buy an AIO. If the color of the water does not accentuate the case, he gets an aneurysm......I know he likes how his colors and everything meshes alot, but I very much doubt that people buying the best card or the most bang for your buck card is so anal about case and aesthetic correction or perfection..

What's most important;

Guys said AMD blower fans were loud.....AMD corrected that.
Guys said AMD needed to compete better on the high end......AMD got the Ryzen guys to work on RDNA 2 and redo/improve the architecture.

The end result, better performing, less noisy and higher clocked AMD cards, now with lots of cache and improved rasterization and it comes with RT too.....So what exactly do people want.....A clone of Katy Perry on the lap of each Radeon GPU consumer?

supernova8

Banned
That is Jay though, he likes his stuff to mesh and to have a certain aesthetic.......I know he cares alot about these things, but I'm not sure why he projected that unto the majority of gamers......If you have been watching his videos like I have, the guy is a serious water-cooling fiend, he generally prefers to design his own water cooler than to buy an AIO. If the color of the water does not accentuate the case, he gets an aneurysm......I know he likes how his colors and everything meshes alot, but I very much doubt that people buying the best card or the most bang for your buck card is so anal about case and aesthetic correction or perfection..

What's most important;

Guys said AMD blower fans were loud.....AMD corrected that.
Guys said AMD needed to compete better on the high end......AMD got the Ryzen guys to work on RDNA 2 and redo/improve the architecture.

The end result, better performing, less noisy and higher clocked AMD cards, now with lots of cache and improved rasterization and it comes with RT too.....So what exactly do people want.....A clone of Katy Perry on the lap of each Radeon GPU consumer?

To be quite honest I don't like him or his videos. Just not a video/presenting style I enjoy. I much prefer something like Hardware Unboxed.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

If you ever watch jay he made some pretty good points. He doesn’t hate Radeon. He hates that they have they red highlights on that cooler something I have said myself. And he speculated why they released the model in fortnite as an epic deal to increase registered users after the Apple debacle took out half the user base.

he constantly says wait to see whatAmd has in terms of Radeon.

Top Bottom