First Metroid Prime 3 Corruption movie !

underfooter said:
I agree. The wiimote doesn't make aiming as pick-up-and-play easy as I thought it would.
Well, these are the first bunch of games and not ratail versions. I guess devs will need some time to maximize the goodies of the Wiimote.
 

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I haven't seen the video yet (I'd love a yousendit link, whoever suggested that), but you sometimes wonder at the retards who go to E3. Last year we had a video of a guy playing New Super Mario Bros and he was terrible, he couldn't even jump over a basic sandpit, not even a tricky jump.

I mean if you can't play a 2D Mario, one of the simplest games you could hope to find, what the hell are you doing at E3?
 

catfish

I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
Matt C said the controls were really sensitive and at first you are likely to swing the cross hair like an idiot. I think there will be a learning curve, but quicker than the the dual remote setup personally.

However watching the red steel presentation, it really did look like there was a problem with FPS control I really want to hear some gaffers impressions of hands on.
 
gfx definitly look better than gc version very sharp and with more depth. Enemys also feature new texture effects. And we have been told that the areas are much bigger than in mp1&2. Can't say much about the controls from seeing this guy playing, but it looks like you need some time to get used to it.
 
I'm sure we will.


I guess you could call me a little let-down. I've seen the videos for Zelda, Mario, and Metroid and although they will be great......I'd hardly say that they blew anyone away. The Wii Revolution has yet to be fully realized.
 

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
catfish said:
Matt C said the controls were really sensitive and at first you are likely to swing the cross hair like an idiot. I think there will be a learning curve, but quicker than the the dual remote setup personally.

However watching the red steel presentation, it really did look like there was a problem with FPS control I really want to hear some gaffers impressions of hands on.
If the console is aimed at non-gamers, then having a precision-based control scheme with a steep learning curve may not be the best of strategies. Hopefully, that guy was just terrible with the Wii.
 
I REALLY liked that prime video, because the person taking the shot with the camera was really smart and got the GUY, the GAME, and the REMOTE in the same shot. I'm definitely happy with what I see from Wii's Wiimote. :) :) I see huge potential here and I can't wait to get my hands on that f'ing thing.
 
Nice particle effects, does look better than GC games although it could definitely use a few extra layers of polish. Granted, the video is a bit on the dark side so it's a little hard to tell.

Much faster than previous games as well. Good stuff.
 

catfish

I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
urk said:
If the console is aimed at non-gamers, then having a precision-based control scheme with a steep learning curve may not be the best of strategies. Hopefully, that guy was just terrible with the Wii.
he probably also had less than 2 minutes to play it as well. Matt had about 10 and his impressions said he sucked at first but was getting pretty good when they tore him off it.

Somebody make an RTS for this thing dammit where is pikmin.

Has anybody interviewed and asked "where is pikmin and where is ssbm?"
 
Ever seen a person playing a fps with the y-axis setting he is used to swapped (normal / reverse)? Or seen someone play an FPS for the first time? Total disorientation? Either the guy is playing in that video is experiencing that, or he is motorically challenged, or Corruption controls like crap. Or we all got a steep learning curve ahead of us.
 

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
catfish said:
he probably also had less than 2 minutes to play it as well. Matt had about 10 and his impressions said he sucked at first but was getting pretty good when they tore him off it.
Well, if they want my grandpa to play it, they need to make it simple. He ionly has two minutes before his medication kicks in.
 

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Wow... there seems to be a lot of control issues in this video.

A LOT. He was having a lot of troble keeping the cursor in the center and I hate having to move the gun left to turn left. When you turn left you want to be able to see what you're turning toward. If you can see had took jumps at an angle because he didn't want to be bothered turning.

I had this same problem with Metroid Hunters.
 
is it at all possible that the game has been delayed so they could refine the levels/controls/length of game, and THEN move onto the graphics using the final dev kits, because retro are talented but we dont want to see 3 prime games that look the same.
 

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Games like Metroid, or Zelda, probably do have learning curves. You'd expect that with a new controller, when it uses it in a complicated way.

People seem to think Nintendo are making every game pick up and play, to attract non-gamers. They've said from the start though that it's an "AND" console and that they'd continue making traditional games as well as those for non-gamers. Non-gamers aren't supposed to be able to pick up Metroid and immediately be able to play, the game isn't aimed at them. Wii Sports, WarioWare and the composing game are for them.

Even if Metroid had controls you could somehow pick up and understand immediately, whether you've played games before or not, it still wouldn't be a game for non-gamers, the the mechanics of the game itself and not the controller would be too complicated.
 
Mama Smurf said:
Games like Metroid, or Zelda, probably do have learning curves. You'd expect that with a new controller, when it uses it in a complicated way.

People seem to think Nintendo are making every game pick up and play, to attract non-gamers. They've said from the start though that it's an "AND" console and that they'd continue making traditional games as well as those for non-gamers. Non-gamers aren't supposed to be able to pick up Metroid and immediately be able to play, the game isn't aimed at them. Wii Sports, WarioWare and the composing game are for them.

Even if Metroid had controls you could somehow pick up and understand immediately, whether you've played games before or not, it still wouldn't be a game for non-gamers, the the mechanics of the game itself and not the controller would be too complicated.





Yea, I remember it took me a while to get used to Mario 64. It took me a few hours to master. Same thing for OOT and Goldeneye.
 
Personally, I think the delay between the screen moving and how far you need to move the cursor is a little too long.

With the delay, you need precise control to aim, then you have to swing your arm to move the camera.

They should cut down on the delay a little bit more and make it more like PC FPS.
 
I think the first-gen Wii software titles are probably going to be a little on the rough side as developers will need to get that under their belts before they can really cook with the controller.

Also to me, it doesn't look like many of the games have been in solid development for more than 6-8 months.

I think Nintendo only really started developing the software after TGS last year.
 
He's having some serious contol problems there.

It looks to me like his problem is that he starts of pointing the controller straigt forward or slightly pointed downwards (not towards the screen itself) and the cursoradapts itself automaticly to that position.
But when he comes into contact with an enemy or an obstacle he starts pointing directly at the screen and trying to point to the enemy, therefor overstearing considerably.
 
Kuroyume said:
Do you need a 100 inch TV for the Wii? What happens if you have a 13 inch and you're playing Prime and the cursor keeps going off screen? Annoying
Wow I can't believe people are still so uninformed. The TV has nothing to do with the remote or the sensor. The sensor is connected to the Wii and you play it above or below your TV and calibrate based on that. It just LOOKS like you're pointing at the TV, when the sensor controls everything.
 
Yea, the guy is under the assumption that the game is some sort of light gun shooter, where you have to point at the screen.

From the looks of it, the cursor is guided by how you move the wii remote, not the spot where you are pointing at.
 
catfish said:
Matt C said the controls were really sensitive and at first you are likely to swing the cross hair like an idiot. I think there will be a learning curve, but quicker than the the dual remote setup personally.

However watching the red steel presentation, it really did look like there was a problem with FPS control I really want to hear some gaffers impressions of hands on.
Where did he say that?!?!!?

edit. NVM. lol, thought this was for SMG.. Anywas MP3 is looking very very nice.
 
The enemies with the shields reminded me of the Halo enemys.

Graphics look better than Prime 1 & 2.

The guy who played it was not ambidextrous. Whenever he pointed the kunchuck with his left arm he put down his right arm, making the camera point down.
 
To be honest, it looks like the guy is playing it wrong!

He is moving his whole arm around, when I'm pretty sure you're meant to just twist your wrist (hard to explain) in the direction you want to move.
 

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Rocked said:
To be honest, it looks like the guy is playing it wrong!

He is moving his whole arm around, when I'm pretty sure you're meant to just twist your wrist (hard to explain) in the direction you want to move.
Very obvious when he is trying to use the grapple feature. The onscreen prompt could not have been more clear and the idiot was lobbing his entire arm like he was had caught a fish.
 
Rocked said:
To be honest, it looks like the guy is playing it wrong!

He is moving his whole arm around, when I'm pretty sure you're meant to just twist your wrist (hard to explain) in the direction you want to move.
I noticed that too. It's annoying.
 
:lol
That guy sucked, and made the game look bad

I want to see more professional people like MATT play it. It does look better than the conference trailer, that's for sure.
 

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Hm.... every impression I've read says the same thing. "Hard to control at first". But isn't that exactly why Nintendo chose this form of control? So people could pick it up and play with ease?

It seems the most difficulty comes from having to aim off screen to move. It's a criticism I've seen of Red Steel as well. Maybe a Zelda like aiming zone on-screen would work better. I haven't heard any complaints about aiming in Zelda.
 
A littlke off topic but will there be a way to control these games by regular means if you want to? Do you have to use the wand or will there be and option to use it the traditional way?