• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Official Picture Of Jared Leto's DAMAGED Joker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TBOrwIz.gif

BsdjF0U.gif

Salsa

people comparing this to die antwoord are weirding me out

I wouldnt mind as much if he was actually inspired by Ninja cause he obviously doesnt give a shit, specially about the tattoos

600full-die-antwoord.jpg

this is already more deranged and careless than a meticulous joker that gets edgy cool looking fonts spelling hHAHAhahahAH and shit like that

if he was BATSHIT CRAZY OMG HEAD BANGING ON THE WALL he'd have SHITTY-ASS tattoos

Imagine if we had this in live-action

Would push that to an r-rating so quick

Anyways I don't get people begging for another suit-wearing joker. This is refreshing

Looking at it really annoyed me, and now I still think it's cheesy but also so...surprising. I don't know what to expect here which is refreshing for a genre that is so predictable most of the time now

aliengmr

I don't know, I like Jared Leto, but I'm not feeling the look.

I'm not familiar with the comics, but before Ledger, the Joker, to me, was just a crazy bad guy. After Ledger, The Joker, scared the fuck out of me.

I'll reserve judgment until Leto's performance.

marrec

Banned
I like the direction. I assume he will have a shirt on for most of the movie and may not actually have tats. This is just a promo picture after all.

Not to my taste in the Joker, but it could be an interesting take.

Except for the actual words of the tattoos. "Damaged" and "Hahahahahaha" make him look more like a Joker fanboy than the Joker himself.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
LOL that's great. If we actually get Leto Joker in a movie with Batffleck we could witness greatness.

These two are so high profile though who knows if that's a thing that will ever happen. Have Affleck and Leto signed multi-film contracts?

Batman will very likely be in Suicide Squad for a short period of time.

Is it really that hard to do something similar to the Joker in the Arkham games?

What's the point in just redoing a previous, popular version of the character? If you follow that logic, we'd only have one version of the Joker - period. It'd be the one from the original comics, and none of the iconic versions you like would've happened.

Loxley

LOL that's great. If we actually get Leto Joker in a movie with Batffleck we could witness greatness.

These two are so high profile though who knows if that's a thing that will ever happen. Have Affleck and Leto signed multi-film contracts?

I think we can assume that. There have been rumblings that Affleck would also be allowed to direct the next solo Batman film.

I have to imagine WB promised Affleck a number of things in order to hook him into a major franchise like this right as his career as a director is really hitting a high note.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised so many people actually like this. This is the first time in a while that I straight up don't like the look of an adaptation.

Maybe it makes more sense in context of the movie, but tattooing "disturbed" on your forehead seems something the cannon fodder minions do to act tough when they can't back it up. It's not intimidating, and it's not "insane", it's just dumb, and dumb in a way that potentially hurts the character itself.

It's crazy how hard the tattoos bring the whole thing down

100% agree. If it wasn't for the ink, I think this would be my favorite cinematic Joker visually, as its absolutely terrifying and that is what the true nature of the character should be. The tattoos diminishes it greatly... I'm hoping this is right after they break him out of prison or something... and then maybe he bleaches them off? IDK.

But even still, I'm still very hyped for this movie. :D

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Leto will bring the Joker to new kinds of crazy and you all should calm the F down. You know he will be good regardless of your fondness of the tattoos.

I like that they're going a new direction with it. The real judgement will be in the performance. You couldn't have guessed even a fraction of what Ledger what was going for with a picture.

Kusagari

The tattoos ruin the design for me.

And not the fact the the has tattoos, but the fact that they're so in your face "THIS IS JOKER" shit. Damaged, HAHAHAHAHA?

Like come on. Shit's lame.

jett

D-Member
I think we can assume that. There have been rumblings that Affleck would also be allowed to direct the next solo Batman film.

I have to imagine WB promised Affleck a number of things in order to hook him into a major franchise like this right as his career as a director is really hitting a high note.

I think people assumed Affleck would direct a standalone Batman movie, but there's no such thing in WB's slate.

Not a big fan of the tattoos, but overall this Joker looks much more creepier than the Ledger one. That's a great start.

We'll see about the performance.

I approve this look.

I mean, without the tattoos he would resemble Batman RIP Joker, which would be fine

1888940-joker-132502.jpg

He literally has a harlequin skull tattoo, which is like in a catalog titled "baby's first tattoo"

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
What's the point in just redoing a previous, popular version of the character? If you follow that logic, we'd only have one version of the Joker - period. It'd be the one from the original comics, and none of the iconic versions you like would've happened.

What's the point of adapting it if you're going to rebrand it and strip it off of what made it popular in the first place? If you want to create radically different jokers you can do that on the page, making small comic books to tell this joker's story. The point of adapting an established concept to the big screen is that you want to duplicate the success of the established brand on a larger scale.

Directors sometimes do dumb shit to try and put their stamp on things that don't really belong to them. It's okay, but not justifiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom