• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Official Picture Of Jared Leto's DAMAGED Joker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Those tattoos are all kinds of stupid and trying way too hard. But other than that it could be workable I guess.

Effect

The dynamic between these two should be interesting to watch.

e1dhunh.jpg

It really should clash like this I think. I really hope we get a solo Batman film with these two and Batman shows up in Sucidie Squad.

KissVibes

Banned
because he is a narcissistic psychopath? who gives a fuck?

Joker would get a bunch of Batman tattoos before tattoos that feel as if they're based on marketing materials for DC comics and Batman video games. It's too much of a shitty, self-aware design. I wouldn't be shocked if it was Leto's idea because he seems like the kind of guy.

The fact that he will be an actually evil comic book movie villain that is handled properly in years other than the ones in the Xmen movies.

Deception

What if he gets all these tattoos while in Arkham just because he's bored and crazy?

I can just imagine..

Harley: Mr. J what have you done to ya face?
Joker: Just a little bit of decorating.
Harley: I think that's more than a little bit.
Joker: Well you know what they say, when in Rome... You kill the Romans hahahahaha

He's a villain who calls himself the Joker, makes up like a clown, and people are saying the tattoos are too try-hard and on the nose? Haha, christ, have some imagination.

I mean it's not like the Joker is crazy or something. Why wouldn't he have tattoos all ove his body the character is the literal emobdiment of insanity.

The damaged Tattoo looks like it would've taken awhile, all cursive and trying not to get near his hairline.

Are you telling me THE JOKER stood still for that long?

Kusagari

The tattoos just scream try hard.

I think there are ways they could have put "Joker" tats on him without having them come off so stupid. The fact they're so clean and professional looking doesn't help. They should look sloppy and fucked up like the character himself does.

What if he gets all these tattoos while in Arkham just because he's bored and crazy?

I can just imagine..

Harley: Mr. J what have you done to ya face?
Joker: Just a little bit of decorating.
Harley: I think that's more than a little bit.
Joker: Well you know what they say, when in Rome... You kill the Romans hahahahaha
That sounds like something I would say.

What's the point of adapting it if you're going to rebrand it and strip it off of what made it popular in the first place? If you want to create radically different jokers you can do that on the page, making small comic books to tell this joker's story. The point of adapting an established concept to the big screen is that you want to duplicate the success of the established brand on a larger scale.

Directors sometimes do dumb shit to try and put their stamp on things that don't really belong to them. It's okay, but not justifiable.

History has proven that this isn't true.

I'm just saying when's the mixtape out and when can we see Harley

Leto should release a promotional mixtape in character before the film comes out

I think some people are just saying it looks good simply because if it does turn out to me an amazing performance like the Ledger's was they can say, "SEE I TOLD YOU SO!! EAT CROW!!"

I mean, Leto can act. But seriously people? Come on.....it's okay to say the look isn't that great.

Damaged??? Come the fuck on!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The damaged Tattoo looks like it would've taken awhile, all cursive and trying not to get near his hairline.

he's so crazy he did it to himself with a switchblade, as you will see in a touching flashback

I'm really digging this take on the Joker, it's nice that they are trying something different with the look and I get the feeling of madness coming from Leto.

Popnbake

I think the biggest problem I have is that the tattoos are too clean... too neat... too designed... That kind of bothers me, but I guess it's just going to be a matter of seeing where they take this character. I think if the designs were closer to what you see in prison tattoos, or self applied tattoos with homemade tattoo needles, I could understand it... But as it is, the self-referential nature of the tattoos and their aesthetic screams to me too much.

Describes how I feel about them.

zma1013

No ones saying he's not going to be great. I think his casting has been met with far more optimism then Ledgers at the time. Everyones just critiquing the design at this point.

For sure he seems to receiving far more favorable optimism than Ledger did, although I'd also wager that it may in fact be a direct result of Ledger completely delivering on the role and making everyone do a 180° turn on their stance against him, myself included. I couldn't fathom Ledger as Joker but from the very moment I saw the first image I was like, "Well, maybe I'm wrong" and oh god was I wrong and it was awesome. I've learned since not to be more accepting and not judge until I can really see what's going on.

The more I look at it, the more the tattoos and grill completely ruin the design.

It's like some angsty, metalhead teenager's interpretation of the Joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom