• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Official Picture Of Jared Leto's DAMAGED Joker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dynamic between these two should be interesting to watch.

e1dhunh.jpg
This what makes it work for me. This Joker looks like he will fuck with Batman on so many levels. Again, I could do without the forehead tattoo, but kudos on going in a totally new direction.

Rayven

aka surume
That's because it is

It wasnt when I first saw it. But upon my rewatches of it, I started to realise just how dull the film is outside of ledgers performance. It drags.

And some of the dialogue is...bad. TDKR is even worse. Batman Begins is amazing though.

agree, that was my favorite of the bunch.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it's not like the Joker is crazy or something. Why wouldn't he have tattoos all ove his body the character is the literal emobdiment of insanity.

Because tattoos aren't all that insane, and plenty of people have tons of them?

Of course there are prison tattoos, which aren't exactly normal, but I don't think they represent insanity exactly.

zma1013

The more I look at it, the more the tattoos and grill completely ruin the design.

It's like some angsty, metalhead teenager's interpretation of the Joker.

That's how I feel. It looks like it's been designed by a market research company using teenager focus groups and asking them to check what they think cool and crazy looks like.

I'm just saying when's the mixtape out and when can we see Harley

Leto should release a promotional mixtape in character before the film comes out
With every track of him laughing.

I actually kind of like the design. I prefer it over the Ledger one.

He definitely needs a tattoo of the Batman logo somewhere.
I think as someone mentioned they're probably all just rub off tats. I think in the end there could be a permanent tat of bats right on his forehead where "damaged" is.

I can't really decide what to make of it. It's a really different kind of psychopathic look, but not sure about the messages of the tattoos. Kinda makes me see Joker being sold as a character doing Joker. Hopefully it works out in the film though.

Carnby

The MM inspiration I can get behind. But MM is dark in a grotesque yet classy way, this Joker isn't. In fact, the leaked video had me too hyped as I thought we were getting Marilyn Joker, that isn't the case.

And both are The Clown Prince of Hot Topic.

wetwired

aUbk9ha.gif

When I first saw the leaked photo of Hugh Jackman as wolverine before X-men 1 was released I wrote him and the costume off completely but it was fine on film. I'll reserve judgement til I see a trailer.

bonus points if anyone can find the pic I'm talking about

I think it looks bad, but I really wish there were more pics to make a better judgement. What about him in a suit, or with him without his mouth wide open? Also, I think he should have some white face paint on at least. The tattoos are way too much, imo. Now we just need to wait for a trailer to see/hear him in action.

Hagi

The tattoos look fucking stupid. Like someone just flipped through some of Capullos work and picked the most generic Joker stuff and went yeah just throw that on him. I was expecting a more understated Joker like DKR instead we got something Mark Millar would come up with.

I have faith in Leto bringing his A game but goddamn. I'm fully expecting New 52 Harley now because this is a perfect companion to that shitshow of a redesign.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I thought the look with the suit from the leak was very good, but this...

Hopefully Leto's portrayal turns out great regardless.

PreFire

The grill I don't mind, it could be explained as having his teeth broken in or maybe he smashed his face into a brick wall one too many times..

Why are his eyebrows shaved off? Lol
The body tattoos I don't mind, but they should've picked something besides the iconic HA lettering and the comic drawing of his smile. I still say he would have carved tattoos onto himself with a blade or knife or even a batarang batman left stuck in his femur.

Bit-Bit

I feel like people complaining about the tattoos on the joker looking "stupid" sort of miss the point.

Like seriously, have you actually thought about the Joker objectively?

He paints his face white, has green fucking hair, and wears lipstick. The dude laughs maniacally while he commits mass murder. I think having "Damaged" tattoo on his head is exactly the short of stupid asinine shit that the Joker would do. And he probably tattooed the "hahahahas" just to troll internet forum readers.

Because tattoos aren't all that insane, and plenty of people have tons of them?

Of course there are prison tattoos, which aren't exactly normal, but I don't think they represent insanity exactly.

What's wrong with the idea of him using the tatoos of expressing his insanity it makes sense for the character.

I feel like people complaining about the tattoos on the joker looking "stupid" sort of miss the point.

He paints his face white, has green fucking hair, and wears lipstick. The dude laughs maniacally while he commits mass murder. I think having "Damaged" tattoo on his head is exactly the short of stupid asinine shit that the Joker would do. And he probably tattooed the "hahahahas" just to troll internet forum readers.

Yeah I agree with this.

AlexBasch

Remove the face tattoo's and the grills and we're good. Otherwise he looks like that rapper that has lots of them.

EDIT: Got it, he looks like a (almost literally) white Lil Wayne, with the teeth stuff.

PreFire

What's wrong with the idea of him using the tatoos of expressing his insanity it makes sense for the character.

If it makes sense why has it never been done? Tattoos have been popular a long time now

Imagine the joker sitting in for one tatto session. He'd have to be sedated. He's a fucking lunatic who isn't going to sit still and get nicely drawn tattoos on him. Regardless of his insanity.. This is not a good way to express it, at least from his point of view and from what we have seen before this. I just can't imagine him chillin there, smoking a cigarette like, "are you almost done? I have to kill the bat"

If only I could give you props

Tabby

The more I look at it the more I don't hate it. I mean lose the teeth and the Damaged tattoo and it's decent I suppose.
After hearing the voice as well.. It'll be interesting to get a new take on the Joker.

If it makes sense why has it never been done? Tattoos have been popular a long time now
Maybe because some believe in playing it safe instead of being different. Dare to step out of the comfort zone. I hate when people go for the easy hanging fruit. Piss people off and make them give into your creation.

Are you only familiar with the Ledger portrayal of the Joker?

Because he doesn't paint his face white or wear lipstick. That's his actual skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom