• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Official Picture Of Jared Leto's DAMAGED Joker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If you haven't seen Dallas Buyer's Club (which most here probably haven't) than this won't excite you.
It might actually anger you.
It would me as well if I hadn't seen the movie.

But I have, and I have confidence that Leto is going to rock this role.
No pun intended

I'm sure he will do a good job but the design is still awful. Bryan Cranston would still be able to play Walter White in a wig and dress but he'd still look dumb.

Loxley

Surprising. I think he will look better in motion. Kind of a badly angled photo.

9Af5ix2.gif

I think people will calm down once they see him in the suit giving the classic Joker grin. Ayer's not an idiot, it's pretty clear he used this photo to unveil the character because he wanted people to go "What the fuck?" and to get people talking about it. Granted, it's the new Joker, so people would have been talking about it regardless. But by going with something this extreme for the first-time reveal he's pretty much guaranteed that folks are going to be debating/discussing this for quite a while because its so different.

It's actually a pretty smart way to start getting people curious about the Suicide Squad.

Carnby

"The Joker to be played by Heath Ledger?

And then the thread devolves into a giant gay-joke. Now history is repeating itself and everyone is freaking out over this ONE IMAGE. The Joker is not some sacred character that must be visually portrayed in a very specific, pre-approved way. I'm glad they are going in a new direction and I would wait until the movie comes out before being disappointed. If it sucks, then it sucks. But we've only seen one image!

The thread you quoted wasn't the first reveal of Ledger's Joker. I don't see your point.

It will probably work, but people are almost never receptive to designs that aren't 1:1 copies of their favorite runs of comic book series.

Weetrick

The thread you quoted wasn't the first reveal of Ledger's Joker. I don't see your point.

My point is that everyone thought Heath Ledger would suck until they saw him in action. Jared Leto is a good, Oscar winning actor. People are freaking out way too early, but I guess it's part of the fun of being a comic book fan? I don't know.

Hagi

"The Joker to be played by Heath Ledger?

And then the thread devolves into a giant gay-joke. Now history is repeating itself and everyone is freaking out over this ONE IMAGE. The Joker is not some sacred character that must be visually portrayed in a very specific, pre-approved way. I'm glad they are going in a new direction and I would wait until the movie comes out before being disappointed. If it sucks, then it sucks. But we've only seen one image!

I think you are in the wrong thread if you think disliking the design is any way reminiscent to shitting on the casting. There is no crow to be had here.

My point is that everyone thought Heath Ledger would suck until they saw him in action. Jared Leto is a good, Oscar winning actor. People are freaking out way too early, but I guess it's part of the fun of being a comic book fan? I don't know.
I don't think I've seen anyone here doubt Leto's ability as an actor like those old posts were saying about Ledger. Just comments about the look and direction on this Joker.

NeoGaf knows exactly how Joker should look.
It pains me to see that people hate how his design looks

I feel like I'm reading "The Rocky Horror Picture Show |OT|" and we're pissed off about how Dr Frankenfurter put together Rocky

Shame on him

Cuburt

That looks EXACTLY like the kind of thing an insane guy whose parents were murdered so he dresses up like bat to fight crime would do.

It strikes fear into the heart of criminals. He probably got those tattoos to cover all the scars he has from fighting the Joker so it makes sense. They also look bad because he probably had Alfred draw them because no one else could do it since they can't know he is the Batman. They probably look dumb on purpose because he's so invested in the idea that he is "The Batman" that he is completely delusional about how batshit insane he looks.

Perfectly logical representation of the character. I love it. Best Batman ever!

This just screams hot topic/2kool4skool look how edgy and zany my tattoos are, I am keeping my hopes up for a surprising performance but I don't like this look at all.

That looks EXACTLY like the kind of thing an insane guy whose parents were murdered so he dresses up like bat to fight crime would do.

It strikes fear into the heart of criminals. He probably got those tattoos to cover all the scars he has from fighting the Joker so it makes sense. They also look bad because he probably had Alfred draw them because no one else could do it since they can't know he is the Batman.
Reading this as if you're actually serious makes this post amazing.

MegalonJJ

Banned
The thing about Ledger's Joker - at least in terms of aesthetics - is that it was so down to Earth. Everything about his look felt grounded and feasible, from the scars on his face that told a potential story (and the lipstick serving the purpose not to make him look like a clown - but to direct some attention away from the scars) to the cheap suit that looked like he found in a back alley dumpster.

The suit doesn't look cheap though, it looks like a bespoke suit, which is what it's meant to be. (And he uses the money he steals in the opening heist to get the suit).

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
For the record. I was actually ecstatic to hear that Leto would be portraying the Joker; I think he is the perfect fit. However, there are elements of this design that are so off-putting and kind of lazy. I'll wait to see the final product before passing final judgement but WB isn't exactly inspiring all that much confidence with this.

Raziel

It strikes fear into the heart of criminals. He probably got those tattoos to cover all the scars he has from fighting the Joker so it makes sense. They also look bad because he probably had Alfred draw them because no one else could do it since they can't know he is the Batman. They probably look dumb on purpose because he's so invested in the idea that he is "The Batman" that he is completely delusional about how batshit insane he looks.

Perfectly logical representation of the character. I love it. Best Batman ever!

Agreed. Have you actually thought about Batman objectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom