• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Official Picture Of Jared Leto's DAMAGED Joker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Hmm. Saw something in a comment section of another site that was interesting. You know the rumor that Joker is said to have
killed a Robin.
. Look at the right arm and that tattoo that is there. Compare that to every other tattoo. Possible reference to that rumor?

Wait a second...

Does he have a tattoo of a J on his left (our right) cheek? What the fuck?

DO YOU WANNA KNOW HOW I GOT THESE TATTOOS

In case you don't know, Batman, I'm damaged goods. And in case I forget, I put a J on my cheek to remind me that my names Joker, not Poker. The hand of cards on my shoulder sometimes confuse me, you understand don't you Superman?

iqg7vpkybSCc3.jpg

iTIBhl0b6JtxY.gif

Kwixotik

I like the direction they were going, and I like the idea of him having tattoos, but the tattoos they chose were awful. I'm trying to imagine the Joker going to a tattoo artist and being like "Can I get HAHAHAHAHAHAHA in a scrawly comic book font? And then a grin that I might have seen if I read a comic book about myself? ...and write 'Damaged' on my forehead in an elegant script."

This is the dude that
strapped his own cut off face skin back onto his head with fucking straps
, I don't think he's going to get a professional tattoo job and I think he'd be a little more creative. If I have to see "Damaged" on the guy's forehead every time he appears, there's no way I can take him seriously.

The teeth is too much imo

the teeth is the best part, if you remove the damaged and hahaha tattoos then it would be really cool imo. (that shit's stupid as hell)

completely different from past incarnations. and for the first time in a long time for this genre...surprising. looks like a mad max villain

whipihguh

Banned
Eehhh, this seems to be a bit much. I see what they were going for, but it just doesn't seem like the Joker to me.

But I dunno, that says nothing of how'll he'll act. He could still be great, even if I'm not a fan of the appearance.

The tattoos in particular are waaay too on the nose.

Kwixotik

the teeth is the best part, if you remove the damaged and hahaha tattoos then it would be really cool imo. (that shit's stupid as hell)

completely different from past incarnations. and for the first time in a long time for this genre...surprising. looks like a mad max villain

Still looks like something a comic book fan who likes the Joker would get, not something the Joker himself would get

A_Gorilla

Banned
So people could accept Ledger smearing fuckloads of white and red makeup on his face, but when Leto's has some tats all of a sudden its "ruined forevah?"

See this is why no one takes comic book fans seriously.

Kwixotik

So people could accept Ledger smearing fuckloads of white and red makeup on his face, but when Leto's has some tats all of a sudden its "ruined forevah?"

It's not that he has tats, it's that his tats are dumb

Ashtrax

I think people will calm down once they see him in the suit giving the classic Joker grin. Ayer's not an idiot, it's pretty clear he used this photo to unveil the character because he wanted people to go "What the fuck?" and to get people talking about it.

Agree with you on this, Ayer is very stylised, and it shows in all his films. Everyone has to remember that this is a make up test photo, the lighting is overly bright, and he isn't wearing his suit.

Leto is also a committed actor, and just off the image, he looks like he's going to bring the level of insanity that you see in more recent Joker media. He's almost unrecognisable in that pic too, which I'm impressed about.

Different reason. Up until the Joker, Ledger only played regular pretty boy characters. Hell, I'm pretty sure the thread linked posted earlier devolved into the Joker being one big gay joke. It wasn't until the first trailer that people really got into Ledger and ate crow.

This case it's different. We know Leto can act. He just looks stupid.

i dunno, outside of gaf i feel comic fans are fairly open to change. here they want everything to be bland as the average marvel movie. but how many graphic novels and multiverses and etc. have given us different takes?

just recently i can list spider-gwen, hawkguy, robocop batman etc.

Different reason. Up until the Joker, Ledger only played regular pretty boy characters. Hell, I'm pretty sure the thread linked posted earlier devolved into the Joker being one big gay joke. It wasn't until the first trailer that people really got into Ledger and ate crow.

This case it's different. We know Leto can act. He just looks stupid.

people should have known ledger could act long before TDK. he gave the best performance of his career with brokeback mountain.

A_Gorilla

Banned
It's not that he has tats, it's that his tats are dumb

I disagree.

i dunno, outside of gaf i feel comic fans are fairly open to change. here they want everything to be bland as the average marvel movie. but how many graphic novels and multiverses and etc. have given us different takes?

just recently i can list spider-gwen, hawkguy, robocop batman etc.

Perhaps you're right. I keep forgetting that Gaf does NOT represent the rest of the internet of many issues (case in point: how much GAF likes to shit on The Avengers)

Gleethor

Interesting that this is pretty much the opposite of how Affleck's batman casting/reveal announcement went; casting was followed with backlash and costume reveal was generally favorable.

I like it. Joker could very well be a shitty rock/boy band member, especially to attract someone like Harley. There seem to be two different camps with comic book movies: those that want things to be shot for shot replicas of what they see in the comics and others who don't mind left field interpretations. Ledgers joker was out of left field too but he fit what they were doing in the Nolanverse. This looks to be the same way. A pretty boy rock singer meets Charles Manson.

MegalonJJ

Banned
If his skin is already white with tattoos on top, does it mean they're taking the tub of chemicals origin(/or equivalent)?

Look forward to seeing Leto's portrayal!

a916

If you left it up to GAF, COD and AC would have been ethered no matter how many 10s of millions of people enjoy them.

I'm kinda on the fence about this.

On the one hand, it's kinda creepy. On the other, it's kinda try-hard, with the tats and the grill. It could work out okay?

I don't know what to think, but I'm not especially invested in this film or the DCCU, so whatever, I guess?

Edit:

If you left it up to GAF, COD and AC would have been ethered no matter how many 10s of millions of people enjoy them.

Who the fuck is GAF?

Johndoey

Banned
Looking back over it both Hahaha tattoos and the damaged tat look tacky in a bad way, not the madman wearing a cheap suit way, more boring and redundant.

Raziel

Batman's already dressed up like a bat, darkness written across his cowl would be the same. Get real comic book fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom