• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Official Picture Of Jared Leto's DAMAGED Joker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

I'm kinda on the fence about this.

On the one hand, it's kinda creepy. On the other, it's kinda try-hard, with the tats and the grill. It could work out okay?

I don't know what to think, but I'm not especially invested in this film or the DCCU, so whatever, I guess?

Edit:

Who the fuck is GAF?

I don't know, it keeps showing up in these threads though.

Have we linked to the Heath Ledger first pic reveal thread yet? I love the crow-eating from that one. So good.

Couldn't google search it, would love to see the thread though.

Apt101

I just spent 15 minutes going through what felt like a thousand replies to tweets from Ayers and numerous people re-tweeting, and for the most part the public seems to like it. So. There's that.

I can dig it, just get rid of "Damaged" and scale back on the "Ha Ha"'s.

Carnby

I'm already looking forward to WB's back peddling.

"You didn't really think he would have 'damaged' tattooed on his forehead, did you?"

Ledger killed the classic depiction of the Joker. There's no way any actor could follow that up. So they took a different route. Smart of them imo.

mreddie

CDZot3VUMAAC3JT.jpg

We are done here, lock it down, this wins.

Beefy

For me this is a meh not feeling it atm, if he didn't have tattoo's it would look far better. I wonder what the tat on his stomach is?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I realize you can't satisfy everyone, but Anthony Misiano is probably the coolest looking live action depiction of The Joker, at least in my eyes. The style is just timeless. The dude is a few professional makeup artists away from looking perfect.

Johndoey

Banned
If the conceit was he carved them into his skin or sometthing the hahaha stuff might actually work, but the super clean professional looking tattoos just look like the most bone headed and cynical way of getting across that he is off his rocker.

That aside i'm sure Leto will turn in a great performance.

The more I look at pic the more I dislike. Hope we get that trailer soon. I have no problem with Leto being cast, but I think it's just this pic that doesn't sit right. The leak before this reveal got me more excited. Also don't agree that he looks more like the joker than Heath. Neither look anywhere near like comic book Mr. J.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Have we linked to the Heath Ledger first pic reveal thread yet? I love the crow-eating from that one. So good.

No one is saying Leto will be a bad joker. People are saying a face tattoo that says 'damaged' is stupid as hell. Even after the movie is released and Leto brings the greatest joker ever to screen, it will not change the fact that the tattoos are dumb as hell.

Strange mental image of the Joker calmly sitting still in a tattoo parlor, waiting on a bunch of "ha's" to be slowly inscribed all over him.

Maybe the way I should look at it is that he probably killed a tattoo artist after every "ha" and then left to find another one. That's probably what he'd do.

I realize you can't satisfy everyone, but Anthony Misiano is probably the coolest looking live action depiction of The Joker, at least in my eyes. The style is just timeless. The dude is a few professional makeup artists away from looking perfect.
Looks like Viscant.

I really like Ledger's joker. Can't say much about Nicolson's joker though becauuse I haven't seen it. I'm positive Leto will deliver this new joker.

munchie64

Hmm how I feel about this will depend on the performance. Like if Jared Leto plays a Joker that would do this to himself, I'd like it a lot more than I do now - which is to say not much. I don't like the damaged tattoo at all.
It has to be said - it looks like shit. This movie will be the first casualty of the DCU.
What hell does casualty mean? Bomb? Cause you don't like the look of the Joker? You people crack me up.

I actually find this kind of boring looking to be honest. It's well done, but it's just cosplay.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Stating for the record that I can absolutely see this working just fine. As has been stated, Nolanverse's Joker changed the game and it would be foolish to recreate it, for for this project on the big screen? It definitely has potential.

TL:DR: a lot about the DCU universe is up in the air but this isn't at all a major hurdle. Written and handled properly and I can see it delivering.

I actually find this kind of boring looking to be honest.

same. dude's got a really good face for it, but i think that style just suits the cartoon and some comic art.

if leto looked like that I would be pretty underwhelmed. with this photo I'm kind of apprehensive but also interested.

SliChillax

Isn't anyone getting bored of this Joker? What's with people not wanting change. We've already seen that Joker millions of times, let's move along to something different.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I actually find this kind of boring looking to be honest. It's well done, but it's just cosplay.

That's why I say it isn't "perfect" yet. Perfect would be if it had a little something unique, which Hollywood professionals could do.

Isn't anyone getting bored of this Joker? What's with people not wanting change. We've already seen that Joker millions of times, let's move along to something different.

Not in a major film.

ReiGun

I'll never get how fans can accept hundreds of reinterpretations and alternate universes and such in the comics but expect film/tv to be sacrosanct and make little to no changes.

Kwixotik

That's why I say it isn't "perfect" yet. Perfect would be if it had a little something unique, which Hollywood professionals could do.

Not in a major film.

There's no reason different interpretations can't work on film. Ledger's Joker worked (mostly). A more street joker could work too, if they didn't fuck up the execution like they have here.

I'll never get how fans can accept hundreds of reinterpretations and alternate universes and such in the comics but expect film/tv to be sacrosanct and make little to no changes.

It's not that he's different, it's that they totally missed what they were going for. If he's going to have tats, they shouldn't look like they were pulled from a middle school kid's custom Saint's Row character

Hagi

If that's a Robin he has on his bicep then the tattoos aren't all stupid.

There is a pretty wide range of varying Joker designs already not sure whats wrong with favoring one of the most iconic.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
There's no reason different interpretations can't work on film. Ledger's Joker worked (mostly). A more street joker could work too, if they didn't fuck up the execution like they have here.

Again, you can't satisfy everyone, especially me. I'm a prick. I personally just think fucking around with something that is pretty easy to do well is stupid.

The real thing that should be difficult is making him interesting and scary.

Game4life

Banned

Then they will romanticize Joker's look in TDK. The acting was the reason Joker was good. Not because of the barely put together Joker costume. I rather Joker look closer to the comics then be worried about some guys who want subdued realism. The tattoo's have to be edited out and this joker will be perfect.

Again, you can't satisfy everyone. I personally think fucking around with something that is pretty easy to do well is stupid.

The real thing that should be difficult is making him interesting and scary.

I think he looks stupid, but this kind of take on the Joker could definitely be both interesting and scary if done right.

Eh. I'm on the fence. On the one hard, the tattoos suck. At least get rid of the face ones so we can go classic style Joker if need be.
It just feels so... hipster try-hard. Part of it is just that photo. The perfect lighting. Jared Leto looks like he's just clowning around and mugging for the camera in it... hence the explosion of fake ads. I wish they'd have released a photo that has more of a mood to it.

On the other hand, it looks like the Joker. I like the bright green hair and bright purple glove. I don't mind the weird teeth, although I'd probably prefer white or yellow.

I'm not sold on it, but I'm not against it either. Really just strikes me as a poor way to introduce him in that photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom