• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First party studios |OT| Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo

Jubenhimer

Compulsion games recently talked about their role in Xbox Game Studios in a video today.

Don't worry about Microsoft restricting their freedom, it's not as hard to maintain independence as people think.

"Trying to maintain creativity within a organisation like MS, isnt as hard people think it is, its really just about the leadership group within Microsoft that understands the value of creativity and creative games"

Reactions: Isa

Jubenhimer

The Initiative hopes to have their first game revealed next year.

We’ve yet to learn anything about what The Initiative has been working on since its founding in 2018, but Booty tells me we’ll learn more over the next 12 months.

If I were an intern looking to get into the video game industry, Rare would be an excellent choice! Sea of Thieves is an amazing platform!

Jubenhimer

Project Mara was announced by Ninja Theory.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Nintendo published an interview with Brain Age Switch developers and Ryuta Kawashima.

Some quotes

Kouichi Kawamoto, producer: “Personally, the reason I began the project was because, for some reason, some of my acquaintances who didn’t know I was in charge of the DS Brain Age were saying that they wanted to play Brain Age again. However, the DS game has many outdated elements nowadays, so I can’t recommend it, so I thought that we should bring it to the latest platform.”

Kenta Kubo, director: “Since Brain Age: Concentration Training, I’ve still been discussing proposals with Dr. Kawashima… and around two years ago, I spoke to Kawashima, and said that “We’re thinking of a Brain Age game for the Nintendo Switch.”

Dr. Kawashima: “During seminars, I’m asked by those who played Brain Age on DS, 'What game is coming next?'. However, it’s sad that those people would say that they were really into the game in past tense. And then, I’d ask further, and it would turn out that those people who played the game with their kid back then are beginning to reach that age… The age where you start forgetting things.”

Can't wait to see what MS first party studios put out.
Sony has a good lead in certain genres, while MS has a lead in others.

Racing car games are set for MS with Forza and Horizons. Xbox has the better racing games.
MS has the better RPG studios and a pretty equal shooter roster.
Third person adventure games Sony has an advantage in. GOW, TLOU, Horizon, Ghost, Spiderman, Uncharted. At this point MS really only has Hellblade and whatever The Inititive is working on.
It's these third person adventure story driven games that MS needs to get more of.

A

Jubenhimer

So Sony's throwing its hat into the Marvel Ring. Introducing, PlayStation Studios.

Can't say I'm a fan. "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" or "PlayStation Studios Presents" Would be way better.

Jubenhimer

Nintendo just dropped this today. A new Paper Mario Game coming in July.

It looks Dark AF. Let's hope it's a return to the classic Paper Mario.

Surprised that Sony haven't acquired Housemarque yet as they are an extremely talented Arcade styled Developer, although they also recently said that Nex Machina would be their final release due to the lack of demand of Arcade titles. :(

Sony/MS should at least give them some projects to add to their repertoire.

Jubenhimer

If there's one developer within Nintendo I think has the most potential to be big in the future, it's Kaori Ando. You might be asking...

iu

But let me run you down.

Kaori Ando joined Nintendo in 2005, she currently works within the Entertainment Planning & Develompent Divsion, under Hitoshi Yamagami's group. She started off as a coordinator, mostly for Pokemon spin-offs. But in recent years, she's been taking the Director's chair on quite a few titles. Most notably, she is the co-creator of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, which came out of a desire to merge two or her favorite series, Shin Megami Tensei, and Fire Emblem. Afterwards, her boss Yamagami asked her to come up with another game, on the spot, she brainstormed an idea about eating Sushi, this formed the basis for Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido, which Nintendo developed with indieszero. Most recently, she served as Co-Director on Platinum Games' Astral Chain.

With such recent games under her belt, I think many people should keep an eye out for when they see her again. I have a feeling she's going to become one of Nintendo newest star developers, joining the likes of Kosuke Yabuki, Hisashi Nogami, Tsubasa Sakaguchi, perhaps even Yoshiaki Koizumi.

Top Bottom