• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First party studios |OT| Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo

Jubenhimer

Once again, Nintendo shadow dropping games. This time its a Free game called Jump Rope Challenge.

UPDATE - Turns out this is actually a pet project from a small team at Nintendo who were working from home during quarantine, and wanted a way to get some quick exercise in. Development culture at Nintendo must really be something else if they can turn something like this into a public freebie.

Last edited:

Yoboman

pRJ6AUq.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread and didn't even know it existed but why not have 3 separate threads? It's one of the very few positives from the other site and the threads always stay on topic.

I even thought about creating a first party topic for Xbox and PlayStation but I have no clue as to how to insert all the photos and stuff. It would be great to have for example all the studios for each of the three hardware manufacturers history and upcoming games, etc. in one topic.

Jubenhimer

Great thread and didn't even know it existed but why not have 3 separate threads? It's one of the very few positives from the other site and the threads always stay on topic.
I decided to do a single thread because it'd be easier to update IMO. Plus, I think its a good way to bring fans of all three platforms together.

MCplayer

You need some correction in there mate.

First of all put Forza Motorsport 7 in Turn10 since its their latest triple A game and forza Street is a bad reference for that studio... (and actually I dont think Turn10 made it but another studio)

Then why is Death Stranding in Guerrilla Games lol, kojima Productions only has a partnership with Sony which means KP games are just timed exclusives, KP isn't a Sony First Party Studio like the others, so I would take out Death Stranding or put it apart in sony like timed exclusive from Kojima Productions.

Unless Im not up to date...

But overall nice informative thread

Jubenhimer

First of all put Forza Motorsport 7 in Turn10 since its their latest triple A game and forza Street is a bad reference for that studio... (and actually I dont think Turn10 made it but another studio)
Got it, Thanks!

Then why is Death Stranding in Guerrilla Games lol, kojima Productions only has a partnership with Sony which means KP games are just timed exclusives, KP isn't a Sony First Party Studio like the others, so I would take out Death Stranding or put it apart in sony like timed exclusive from Kojima Productions.
Gruella Games Co-Developed Death Stranding, which is why I included it. Sony's developers regularly work with independent studios on top of their in-house projects, so I try to include those when I can. Plus, Sony owns the DS IP.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to do a single thread because it'd be easier to update IMO. Plus, I think its a good way to bring fans of all three platforms together.

That's true, it's definitely easier and I agree that it's a good way of bringing fans together who like all three platforms.

Jubenhimer

The Pokemon Company recently held a "Pokemon Presents" presentation today, and announced some new Pokemon titles for the Switch and Mobile.

Believe it or not, there's actually ANOTHER Pokemon presentation next week.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Thanks!

Who was the most consistent/quality developer this gen VS who was the most “daring/risk taking” developer?
The most consistent quality this gen would have to be Sony for me (if We aren't counting the Switch). The most "Daring" would be Nintendo with the Switch at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what Next gen brings for Sony and Microsoft in these regards.

Last edited:
Thanks!

The most consistent quality this gen would have to be Sony for me (if We aren't counting the Switch). The most "Daring" would be Nintendo with the Switch at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what Next gen brings for Sony and Microsoft in these regards.
Hmmm I guess I meant studio wise. Naughty dog, from software, square Enix etc etc

GonSama

Sony should buy Bluepoint Games and Housemarque.
Supermassive Games and Quantic Dream are good choices too.
And talking about japanese games, Level-5 (Ni No Kuni, Rogue Galaxy) or Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue) would be great acquisitions.

Jubenhimer

And talking about japanese games, Level-5 (Ni No Kuni, Rogue Galaxy) or Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue) would be great acquisitions.
Level 5 and Arc Sys are a bit too big for acquisitions. Bluepoint and Housemarque I could see being bought, Supermassive is a maybe. Quantic Dream I think would rather be independent.

Bryank75

Banned
I'll be starting a thread on Sony business, covering stock price, performance of the G&NS and potential acquisitions in the next week or so... hope you'll contribute some of these suggestions.

Jubenhimer

A new interview reveals how Good Job! from Nintendo and Paladin Studios came about.

Jubenhimer

Full interview with Nintendo and Paladin on Good Job! is now up.

Shaqazooloo

I wonder if Nintendo will pick up Velan Studios as a exclusive partner. From what they describe their ambitions as it is completely aligned with Nintendo's.

I really don't care for most of what Sony Japan produces. Honestly, I don't care for most first party games from Sony and Microsoft. I used to be a big Halo and Fable fan but Microsoft's quality tanked. I played mainly PS4 this generation for multiplatform games and exclusive jrpgs. I bought a Switch and love what Nintendo makes. Microsoft is interesting again because of its WRPG studios. In my mind, Sony needs to cut the woke crap out and start making compelling characters that I care about.

Jubenhimer

No they are Microsoft 1st party and part of Xbox game studios as mentioned multiple times lol
If that was the case, Microsoft would've mentioned that in the announcement. But Bethesda has confirmed that they'll continue to operate as a separate publisher. Xbox is a large brand, XGS is just a branch of that.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

If that was the case, Microsoft would've mentioned that in the announcement. But Bethesda has confirmed that they'll continue to operate as a separate publisher. Xbox is a large brand, XGS is just a branch of that.
Phil said it multiple times they are part of Xbox game studios but will publish its own yes. But hey do as you wish lol

Why list 1st party as 1st party

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Bethesda will operate semi independent from XGS but they are very much a first party publisher. The only reason they operate semi-independent is because Bethesda has nearly full operation all ready ie, marketing, PR department. Essentially everything XGS has. Its going to take a while to merge. Their 1st party.

Jubenhimer

Bethesda will operate semi independent from XGS but they are very much a first party publisher. The only reason they operate semi-independent is because Bethesda has nearly full operation all ready ie, marketing, PR department. Essentially everything XGS has. Its going to take a while to merge. Their 1st party.

Exactly. Hence why Bethesda will be listed in its own section once the deal is closed. Bethesda will be part of Xbox, but Bethesda Softworks and Xbox Game Studios will still be two separate publishers, and thus should be treated as such. Perhaps Microsoft will merge them together in the distant future.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Exactly. Hence why Bethesda will be listed in its own section once the deal is closed. Bethesda will be part of Xbox, but Bethesda Softworks and Xbox Game Studios will still be two separate publishers, and thus should be treated as such. Perhaps Microsoft will merge them together in the distant future.
Still, they are first party under the Xbox brand. Instead of a 1st party studio (s) their a 1st party publisher. That was my only point.

Top Bottom