• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Rayman Legends Review? - Official Nintendo Magazine

MrT-Tar

Lock if old and apologies if this isn't the first review (couldn't see any on metacritic or gamerankings).

The latest issue of ONM awaited me upon returning home from work, and within it was their review of Rayman Legends. I don't usually do this, but given the high profile nature of the game and the fact I couldn't see any other reviews, I thought it might be of interest of others. IIRC scans aren't permitted, so I won't post any, but I'll put down the score and a quick summary of the main points of the review.

Score: 92/100.

+ A turnaround of ideas to rival Mario Galaxy

+ Asymmetric Multiplayer finally done rights

- Not quite as good for the lone wolves

Basically, ONM applaud the game's multiplayer claiming it 'is more welcoming that New Super Mario Bros U's, mainly thanks to heroes being able to pass through each other and the absence of a life counter'. At times the game's focus on multiplayer is at the expense of single player though, most notably in Murphy stages.

They also seem to praise the game's difficulty system, despite their gut feeling telling them it is easier than Origins. The 'core' levels are relatively easy (which will last around 7 hours apparently); however, the optional stages and those 'invaded' (think purple comets from Super Mario Galaxy) are at times brutal in difficulty.

The Gamepad use is also applauded, with ONM claiming 'this is what the Gamepad is for'. The game also has much replay value, with a very competitive edge attempted to best your own high scores; the return of 40 Origins stages also lengthens the game.

NotLiquid

Sounds about as good as I expected it to be.

I believe there's another magazine review in the recent issue of Gamereactor which came out a couple of days ago. They claimed it was the worldwide first. I'll look into it myself tomorrow unless any fellow Swedes have it.

I will say, the time attack in the demo was brutal. Harder than near anything I played in Origins. Dear God.

Will that Treasure Chase come back?? I flipping loved that from Origins

yatesl

93DrR1u.png

My controller of choice is ready.

Suairyu

Banned
Interesting regarding the gamepad use praise. Is it integral to the experience? Does that mean the WiiU version has content and features the other versions do not? Other than the usual, measurable superiority of the PC platform, are the WiiU features enough to make it the 'definitive' version?

ascii42

Interesting regarding the gamepad use praise. Is it integral to the experience? Does that mean the WiiU version has content and features the other versions do not? Other than the usual, measurable superiority of the PC platform, are the WiiU features enough to make it the 'definitive' version?

Both the WiiU and Vita get exclusives levels based on touch screen functionality. I'm sure the WiiU gets more though and has up to 5 player co-op, so yeah, I'd consider it the definitive version.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

...this has been known for a while, hell it was built for the wiiU before anything else to take advantage of

Mileena

Banned
Focus on multiplayer with no online mode means wait for a Steam sale. Origins was good for the $20 I paid for it, I imagine it won't be long till Legends is that price.

No interest in the exclusive Wii U/Vita touch gimmick crap.

Not sure if I actually want to play Murphy levels, I think I just want traditional controls all around. Still on the fence with which version to get

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

it is known

Just as I feared - easier than Origins, and the multiplayer component has been prioritised over single player.

I have nobody to play this with, so I guess I'll pass. Hopefully DK will not have been dumbed down when it arrives later this year.

Fireblend

Banned
I gave Ubi the full $40 they're asking for this. Ancel deserves it.

Plus my girlfriend and I + brother/friends are gonna have so much fun with this. Might be my GOTY.

Mileena

Banned
Just as I feared - easier than Origins, and the multiplayer component has been prioritised over single player.

I have nobody to play this with, so I guess I'll pass. Hopefully DK will not have been dumbed down when it arrives later this year.
I've got faith in DKC to not fuck it up for solo players, it has no multiplayer right?

This will definitely give incentive for Ubisoft to create more unique games.
Can you blame this user? This game is probably going to have heavy discounts within a few weeks/month or two of launch after the initial core buying rush. Doesn't really appeal to the gaming kids of today.

Easier with multiplayer focus? Will wait for Piratebay crack, you fucked up Ancel

but seriously, the easier multiplayer focus sucks. First Mario, now Rayman. Save us, Retro

jmls1121

Banned
Focus on multiplayer with no online mode means wait for a Steam sale. Origins was good for the $20 I paid for it, I imagine it won't be long till Legends is that price.

No interest in the exclusive Wii U/Vita touch gimmick crap.

As someone that played the hell out of the glorious challenges app, i will tell you that the murphey levels may be the best thing in the game.

I've got faith in DKC to not fuck it up for solo players, it has no multiplayer right?

It does have multiplayer, yes. But the Wii game also had multiplayer, and it had no negative effect on the solo game.

Fingers crossed anyway. DK is my beacon of hope now that 3D World has also turned out to be multiplayer-focused. I am just not interested in multiplayer - the stages tend not to be as tightly designed.

Not sure if I actually want to play Murphy levels, I think I just want traditional controls all around. Still on the fence with which version to get

Judging by the Challenge App, the Murphy levels are the best, especially if you have someone to play with you.

My fiance and I play the Murphy challenges together, I'm the runner and she's on the Gamepad. Screaming at each other because I over jumped or she tackled the obstacles out of sequence, tons of fun.

Top Bottom