First Reviews: Deus Ex: HR: 94% - PC Gamer, 8/10 - OPM, 10/10 - OXM, PSM3 - 8.8

#51
revolverjgw said:
Reboot? I've been on media blackout, I thought this was a prequel?
it's a prequel. not a reboot in the true sense, but i guess you could loosely call it that based on them condemning Invisible War and deciding on doing a prequel so they could solidify the foundation of the franchise.

it's cannon, it fits in with the story/timeline, and it respects the story, legacy, and fanbase of the original game. that said: if it's long, stays exciting, plays well, encourages thinking and multiple play throughs, and avoids the missteps and boneheaded mistakes IW made, then it should be deserving of at least a 9/10, IMO.
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
#52
Clevinger said:
Man, forget the reviews. Look at the impressions of gamer's who have played it and it's almost completely positive.
But it's not, a lot of previews feel like the overall finished product could go one way or the other.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
#53
dark10x said:
They did an incredible job melding the intricacies of the original game with modern streamlining.
This is one of the biggest accompishments I felt in the preview build. It's streamlined, yet not at the expense of gameplay depth. The changes to the augs have potential to make for a better aug system than the original Deus Ex.
 
#57
Deadly Cyclone said:
But it's not, a lot of previews feel like the overall finished product could go one way or the other.
Most of the impressions could be summed up as "What I played is great and if it maintains this quality for the rest of the game then its going to be amazing". I don't know what previews you have been reading but the person you quoted was talking about impressions from the people who played the preview leak.

Zeliard said:
You bastards are gonna make me play through the leak less than a month before the full game comes out, aren't you?
Stay strong until that EYE game comes out? Maybe that will take the edge off.
 
#58
Lostconfused said:
Most of the impressions could be summed up as "What I played is great and if it maintains this quality for the rest of the game then its going to be amazing". I don't know what previews you have been reading but the person you quoted was talking about impressions from the people who played the preview leak.
I played the leaked build and this describes how I feel. Found myself replaying an area over and over and over because it captures that fun element of trying something different ways. If you're a fan of Deus Ex, and the leaked build is any indication, you will be a very happy gamer.
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
#59
Lostconfused said:
Most of the impressions could be summed up as "What I played is great and if it maintains this quality for the rest of the game then its going to be amazing". I don't know what previews you have been reading but the person you quoted was talking about impressions from the people who played the preview leak.


Stay strong until that EYE game comes out? Maybe that will take the edge off.
True, I do want it to be great too, I just have this uneasy feel about this game. I really hope it turns out great.
 
#62
I believe. I believe so much that I pre-purchased it (from Green Man Gaming for a discount, of course) despite being on a complete media blackout of this game.

I've accidentally seen a couple seconds of gameplay, so far. That's it.
 
#63
Deadly Cyclone said:
But it's not, a lot of previews feel like the overall finished product could go one way or the other.
The game is great. It would take a huge effort from the devs for the game to not be at least decent. I don't see how this game won't be a GOTY contender. It does better what Vampire the Masquerade, previous Deus Ex games, and Mass Effect games tried to achieve; a balance of RPG and action game where both types of gameplay are fun and have some depth to them. And if that isn't enough for you then how about throwing a soda machine through a door and into someone on the other side of the door. Nothing can top that.
 
#66
toasty_T said:
Didn't they give DA2 the same score?
DA2 was a great game, maybe not 94% great but still a LOT of fun to play.

I'm going to go with them on this one and say it's going to be amazing. I cannot wait to get my copy.

Edit:
Also how many 9+ reviews is it going to take to convince you skeptics? Or does it have to get all 10's from everywhere to be considered any good?
 
#68
I've said it a bunch already, but I'll reiterate that people should totally buy this game, with the caveat that they should zone out for the first hour or two. It takes a bit to come into its own. If you hang with it, it gets really good.
 
#69
theinfinityissue said:
I've said it a bunch already, but I'll reiterate that people should totally buy this game, with the caveat that they should zone out for the first hour or two. It takes a bit to come into its own. If you hang with it, it gets really good.
Yeah you pretty much have to stick with it through a two hour long tutorial. After that the game finaly opens up and it's incredible.
 
#71
Lostconfused said:
Yeah you pretty much have to stick with it through a two hour long tutorial. After that the game finaly opens up and it's incredible.
Don't scare people too much, it's very story heavy early on before it opens up, and you meet some key characters. Is this spoilerish? I'll edit if I need to.
 
#72
Going to be waiting to see just how long the game is. I'm glad the PC version is $50 but still I'm hoping it's longer then just a few hours.
 
#73
From the OPM link:

OPM said:
"It's not as direct as a sci-fi COD, nor as expansive or open as Fallout," he writes. "Instead it's somewhere in the middle."

OPM concludes that the game does the Deus Ex series "proud" - "providing an absorbing world to investigate and a satisfying freedom to play by your own rules".
Sounds good.

Slight gripes come when discussing background characters "cycling routines", frustrating boss fights and long loading screens that "break the mood".
I'm assuming the loading times might be longest in the PS3 version? How are the load times in the preview build?

Overall, though, the PS3 Deus Ex: Human Revolution review gives the two thumbs up. The game's described as having a plot that's "basically James Bond of the future" in a world with "lush art direction".

Hurley writes: "It doesn't reach Killzone 3 levels of splendour, but it's impossible not to be wowed by the neon-drenched presence of Hangsha in China."
Will be playing this on PC, the console versions look really janky.
 
#75
Zeliard said:
Yeah that game looks pretty cool. When's it due out anyway?
Well according to some poster in that thread, who I might be tempted to do terrible things to if it doesn't pan out. There is a posibility that it's out today. There is already one review for it up.
MrCompletely said:
Don't scare people too much, it's very story heavy early on before it opens up, and you meet some key characters. Is this spoilerish? I'll edit if I need to.
Just being honest. It's a slow start and definitely not the strongest part of the game.



Edit:

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm assuming the loading times might be longest in the PS3 version? How are the load times in the preview build?
Load times took 30 seconds to a minute on PC. Definitely long. Hope it gets ironed out in the retail build.
 
#76
I'm using this game to as a gauge for whose reviews I should read when buying games. People that give this game anything lower than a high 8 score are off my list of sites that I read.
 
#78
WretchedTruman said:
I'm curious what the "other genre" comment pertains to. I've had difficulty categorizing this game.
FPS/RPG with stealth elements.

They're probably talking about FPS with "other games" and specifically referring to titles like Bioshock and Borderlands. Possibly also Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect, TPS/RPGs.
 
#81
Sho_Nuff82 said:
From the OPM link:

Sounds good.

I'm assuming the loading times might be longest in the PS3 version? How are the load times in the preview build?

Will be playing this on PC, the console versions look really janky.
i had to reread the COD/Fallout comparisons. at first i meant how big and detailed the world is but now i think what they meant was how much they kind of keep you slightly focused on getting through the main game (or quest, whatever) while allowing you to still explore sidequests/missions etc. you won't be wandering around forever and losing yourself in the world like Fallout, but that would actually be a bad thing for DE. also good that it's not too direct/linear like COD games. sweet!

i preordered PS3 version but will most likely double-dip PC version later on when it's on sale. my PC is hooked up to a tv right now in our small apartment and looks mega-poops. once i have my full setup back again it will be a glorious second, and third... and possibly fourth playthrough. >:)
 
#83
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i had to reread the COD/Fallout comparisons. at first i meant how big and detailed the world is but now i think what they meant was how much they kind of keep you slightly focused on getting through the main game (or quest, whatever) while allowing you to still explore sidequests/missions etc. you won't be wandering around forever and losing yourself in the world like Fallout, but that would actually be a bad thing for DE. also good that it's not too direct/linear like COD games. sweet!

i preordered PS3 version but will most likely double-dip PC version later on when it's on sale. my PC is hooked up to a tv right now in our small apartment and looks mega-poops. once i have my full setup back again it will be a glorious second, and third... and possibly fourth playthrough. >:)
Deus ex is like Vampire the Masquerade, except it has better gameplay.
 
#86
Crunched said:
FPS/RPG with stealth elements.

They're probably talking about FPS with "other games" and specifically referring to titles like Bioshock and Borderlands. Possibly also Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect, TPS/RPGs.
well, shit, you've got a first day buyer, if that's the case.
 

dark10x

60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
#90
Load times took 30 seconds to a minute on PC. Definitely long. Hope it gets ironed out in the retail build.
Yeah, they were quite long (15-30 seconds for me depending on area). I installed it to an SSD as well and saw absolutely no improvement in loading times nor did it eliminate the bits of slowdown that occur as you walk around the hub (slowdown unrelated to graphics hardware). I'm hoping both of these issues are improved upon greatly in the final. Even if they were not, however, it wouldn't ruin the experience.
 
#93
This is a game I need to play for myself, because I have no doubt it'll be well-recieved regardless of quality. Since its very first reveal it hasn't recieved even-handed articles and previews. So I guess in a way its win/win for S-E.
 
#95
dark10x said:
Yeah, they were quite long (15-30 seconds for me depending on area). I installed it to an SSD as well and saw absolutely no improvement in loading times nor did it eliminate the bits of slowdown that occur as you walk around the hub (slowdown unrelated to graphics hardware). I'm hoping both of these issues are improved upon greatly in the final. Even if they were not, however, it wouldn't ruin the experience.
I had my build installed on my SSD and never had to wait that long. 10 to 12 max for me.
 
Stumpokapow said:
PC Gamer on Deus Ex: Invisible War
83%
"With the right hardware, Invisible War offers a thought-provoking, multi-layered journey with a side order of free choice"

PC Gamer on Deus Ex
94%
"A must-own...a rare and rewarding game for fans of the genre"
Yeah I thought I remembered a positive IW score.