• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Screenshot of Smash Bros. 3DS Single Player Mode

Fiktion

Banned
yMOXK2m.jpg

tYLgbww.png

This would appear to be something in the vein of the Melee adventure mode. I assume Sakurai is just warning us that there won't be story heavy stuff with lots of cutscenes, which we knew already.

Richie

A fleshed out Melee Adventure Mode where they go for broke on the crossover aspect, that'd win me over in the blink of an eye.

However, that screen seems to be based on no franchise in particular...

Yeses! I really enjoyed Melee's adventure mode, a lot more than brawls weird story mode.

If they expand on Melee's I will be very excited (more individual franchise levels, branching paths, stuff like that).

Cade

Well, Subspace was one of the best parts of a disappointing game, but I'll wait and see what Sakurai's gonna do with the single player in these before I make any further judgment on it.

qq more

so the level may not be based on any nintendo franchises, disappointed in that aspect... but at the same time it looks rather stylish than just making a really plain and boring generic forest. i like it

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wonder how they will attack SP differently.

Sidescrolling was a novel idea that didn't really work well in practice, at least with that camera. At least they are learning, and it doesn't look too bad either.

Not being like the SSE is probably the best news for the new Smash thus far.

Wonder how they will attack SP differently.

Sidescrolling was a novel idea that didn't really work well in practice, at least with that camera. At least they are learning, and it doesn't look too bad either.

Not being like the SSE is probably the best news for the new Smash thus far.

actually I'm pretty sure that's
Rosalina being confirmed

Kazerei

Banned
Luigi's Mansion comes to mind because of the green, but I dunno. Maybe it's original and not based off a Nintendo franchise.

I gonna miss a subspace emissary like mode. Sakurai's reason for taking it out is kind of stupid imo.

But what are we really missing that a good Adventure Mode (ala Melee) wouldn't fix? Really awkward "plot" told through pantomime? Utter fixation on the Kirby franchise the whole way through? There were some cute scenes, but it was hardly worth it.

Hopefully it won't be all set in "Generic Land" as well, with either generic or just Bowser minions. (Where was Ganondorf's troops, for example?)

Rizsparky

so the level may not be based on any nintendo franchises, disappointed in that aspect... but at the same time it looks rather stylish than just making a really plain and boring generic forest. i like it

Of course they will! It's only one screenshot.

Onesimos

Did we need a separate thread on this? It could have been mentioned in the massive official thread.

Anyway, interesting screenshot.

blamite

Eh, for all the hate Subspace gets it had some really cool cutscenes.

I hope this has way more to it than Melee's Adventure Mode at least, even if it isn't as in-depth (and overdone) as SSE.

But what are we really missing that a good Adventure Mode (ala Melee) wouldn't fix? Really awkward "plot" told through pantomime? Utter fixation on the Kirby franchise the whole way through? There were some cute scenes, but it was hardly worth it.

Hopefully it won't be all set in "Generic Land" as well, with a few Bowser enemies thrown around because dev time ran out.

Not having to play the same bs 24 times to unlock all the characters is what we're missing if it's going to be like melee.

SSE was an alright kirby game just with smash characters starring instead. That he isn't even going to try and do better is the real disappointment.

Kokonoe

Banned
Did we need a separate thread on this? It could have been mentioned in the massive official thread.

I assume it's a GAF tradition to have both a GAF thread for Smash in gaming + new threads for each news that's new. It doesn't make sense according to the usual moderation to have community like OT + new threads which discuss new information and separates the discussion across many threads instead of having a community thread in the community section with new threads in gaming side, but as stated previously, I think they allow this because it's tradition of the Brawl dojo.

RagnarokX

I would absolutely love a Subspace Emissary style story mode IF they actually leveraged the franchises the characters are from for the environments. Boring fighting through Generic Land was not fun.

batbeg

I really enjoyed playing the SSE on the expert difficulty in Coop so I'm kind of sad it's gone, but it was a pretty barebones and super padded experience, so... Not that sad.

That's just it, the "massive official thread" is a mess. It should be in community at this point, with just topic posts if something interesting is revealed, which has sadly not been happening as often as it did with the Brawl Dojo.

Drago

I would absolutely love a Subspace Emissary style story mode IF they actually leveraged the franchises the characters are from for the environments. Boring fighting through Generic Land was not fun.
Agreed 100%

That and a story that doesn't take itself so seriously.

Fiktion

Banned
That's just it, the "massive official thread" is a mess. It should be in community at this point, with just topic posts if something interesting is revealed, which has sadly not been happening as often as it did with the Brawl Dojo.

It's not in community because it's about ongoing reveals that come five times a week.

Or that \/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just to clarify, when Sakurai says there's no story mode like SSE, does he mean there's no story mode period, or one that's not as retarded as SSE was?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wonder if we are getting a picture of Adventure Mode because we might get Nintendo Direct (or Smash Direct) that would explain more about single players contents and few characters reveal this week or next two weeks. I would take that a sign of something is coming so soon.

Just to clarify, when Sakurai says there's no story mode like SSE, does he mean there's no story mode period, or one that's not as retarded as SSE was?

No story whatsoever, as Sakurai feels it's a pointless addition since people are just going to upload the cutscenes to YouTube.

Edit: Link.

It's not in community because it's about ongoing reveals that come five times a week.

Or that \/

Reveals like "Here's Rosalina posing with Donkey Kong" and "Doesn't it look a bit like Mario's asleep here?"

Actual reveals, not funny posed screenshots. Even though they're coming from the devs, there's maybe one or two screenshots a week providing anything of merit. And the big stuff gets threads anyway.

Thread doesn't go to Community Hell until a month after the game's release.

It's the same arguments and jokes about Ridley, Krystal, etc., over and over, a couple of fake rosters, and "Weekend Smash", which you probably don't want to know about. It's a community thread regardless if the game is out yet or not.

I simply don't feel there's enough of a drip-feed of Smash news to justify it in Gaming right now. Funny thing is, it might finally start picking up soon. But hell, it's up to OT4, and they haven't even revealed a major chunk of the returning cast.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Sorry, Azure Dream.

I would rather to have Massive Official Thread to keep uninformed pictures in the thread, rather than having new thread every single day over something that are not worthy to have a new thread. New Information = New thread. If it's returning items or something unworthy then they are belong in Smash Bros Massive Thread to spare moderators the headaches.

At long the daily image kept coming in, the thread is more likely to stick around for awhile until they are done with daily image.

Reveals like "Here's Rosalina posing with Donkey Kong" and "Doesn't it look a bit like Mario's asleep here?"

Actual reveals, not funny posed screenshots. Even though they're coming from the devs, there's maybe one or two screenshots a week providing anything of merit. And the big stuff gets threads anyway.

It's the same arguments and jokes about Ridley, Krystal, etc., over and over, a couple of fake rosters, and "Weekend Smash", which you probably don't want to know about. It's a community thread regardless if the game is out yet or not.

I simply don't feel there's enough of a drip-feed of Smash news to justify it in Gaming right now. Funny thing is, it might finally start picking up soon. But hell, it's up to OT4, and they haven't even revealed a major chunk of the returning cast.

I can't really defend what's going on in OT4 since sometime it can be crazy with stuffs but there are good amount of information between November to January. I don't think it's community thread because it's constantly updated by daily images from the official site. Since you are getting off the topic, so please stick back to adventure mode or whatever you think of the content in the picture since I don't want to clutter this thread with the arguments bout how the thread should be in community, etc. Please just stop doing that and Thank you.

Top Bottom