• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Zilch

Banned
Proven said:
He's talking about the rules of the game. The rules that go beyond how it's coded.

Such the the 2D movement with a couple bursts into 3D 3rd person on rails, the boost system probably being slightly changed into ring energy, etc. The controls and physics can be coded differently but still be made with the purpose of working for the same end result on screen, or gameplay-wise.

Why would someone call general game rules an "engine"? The term "engine" IMPLIES coding.

Its more or less like Crash Bandicoot was. The movement isnt always in 3d though.

Yeah, it always IS. I'm gonna say it right now: in Sonic Unleashed there will NEVER be a time when your character is restricted to moving in less than 3 (X, Y, Z axes) dimensions.

Teknoman

Zilch said:
Why would someone call general game rules an "engine"? The term "engine" IMPLIES coding.

Yeah, it always IS. I'm gonna say it right now: in Sonic Unleashed there will NEVER be a time when your character is restricted to moving in less than 3 (X, Y, Z axes) dimensions.

Hows that? Are you saying the parts where Sonic is running in a straight line, hes actually able to stop and move "towards the screen" so to speak?

And on that A button, I think thats a trick bar of some sort...and it could still be indicating that the A button on a 360 controller is a trick activater. At least thats how Sonic Rush Adventure worked.

Scribble said:
That photo makes me want to go to Greece.

Same here. Must be damn comfortable to live on a coast like that.

Proven

Zilch said:

Calling it an "engine" is something that comes from designing games outside of video games. Take D&D for example, in which it's a way to have a campaign, although you may have different options like you decide you can't swim in this one, or change what monsters appear and how difficult they are, and they're all still governed by D&D's ruleset. Nowadays you often call it the game's "engine", and just from that people can expect how the game will feel or run at it's most base level.

webrunner

Zilch said:

Is this something that you 'know', being that you have information that the rest of us don't, or something that you believe to be true, based on the same photos and video we've all seen?

Why are you so certain? I mean, that would be fine with me, but I don't know how you could ascertain that from the video and few screens we've seen.

Teknoman said:
Hows that? Are you saying the parts where Sonic is running in a straight line, hes actually able to stop and move "towards the screen" so to speak?

And on that A button, I think thats a trick bar of some sort...and it could still be indicating that the A button on a 360 controller is a trick activater. At least thats how Sonic Rush Adventure worked.

I bet it's the WereSonic meter!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
f@luS said:
this is not a controller button, this is just designed like that...
Why should they write an A with green background on it? Imo there will be an X on black background in the PS3 version, although it's an object in the level and not just a button.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
cjelly said:
I am very LTTP with this one, but has anyone else noticed that the graphics look very... 'Blue Dragon'?

I like it.

do you mean bright and shiny? i think you are definitely the first person to mention that in this thread.

f@luS

More than a member.
Yoshi said:
Why should they write an A with green background on it? Imo there will be an X on black background in the PS3 version, although it's an object in the level and not just a button.
Abcdefgh....
not xayrhqj.

You know, the alphabet. If you dont pub numbers , u usualy put the 1st letters !

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
f@luS said:
Abcdefgh....
not xayrhqj.

You know, the alphabet. If you dont pub numbers , u usualy put the 1st letters !
If it is a game not exclusive to PS3 it could be quite confusing if it uses A as a symbol for an object which doesn't relate to the A button. You could just use green color instead of a character. Considering this level object uses the Xbox 360 controller's color scheme for the A button I think it's quite safe to assume that this indeed relates to 360's A-button and will be replaced with an X in the PS3 version and with a white A if there's a Wii version...

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!!!

http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?c...l&Ntt=Sonic+Unleashed&N=0&find.x=52&find.y=10

Wii and PS2 versions in addition to the PS3 and 360 versions are listed.

X_X

This DOES add to the possibility of the game beginning on either the Wii or PS2 though.

Edit:

fnfwh5.jpg

Printed the screen for when Sega demands the listings to be taken down.

Hero of legend said:
HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!!!

http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?c...l&Ntt=Sonic+Unleashed&N=0&find.x=52&find.y=10

Wii and PS2 versions in addition to the PS3 and 360 versions are listed.

X_X

This DOES add to the possibility of the game beginning on either the Wii or PS2 though.

The PS2 version would be genius. It would be like the only new game (that is not Madden, GH, or anything like that) for the PS2 when its released. Parents buying a cheap PS2 (it has to be $100 by this christmas right), new Sonic game for the kids. Smart move by Sega.

Rlan

MiamiWesker said:
The PS2 version would be genius. It would be like the only new game (that is not Madden, GH, or anything like that) for the PS2 when its released. Parents buying a cheap PS2 (it has to be $100 by this christmas right), new Sonic game for the kids. Smart move by Sega.

Star Wars Force Unleashed comes to PS2 at the end of the year too :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
D:

I thought someone was joking when they told me about this game. But it's true!

But 2D like platforming!

But Were-sonic :(

BLARRGHG

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Rlan said:
Star Wars Force Unleashed comes to PS2 at the end of the year too :p
That's probably gonna be T or M rated though.

Also after seeing all those listings, makes me wonder if there'll even be a mini version for DS using the Rush graphics engine.

jrricky

Banned

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jrricky said:
Wait, i thought matt c said this game isnt coming out for the wii.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised to see both a PS2 and Wii version of the game.

They'll have to develop a different game engine for Wii anyways so they might as well released it on PS2 as well (just as they did with Sonic Riders Zero Gravity).

ckohler

It's just as likely that some EB Games warehouse administrator read the rumors floating online and preemptively put some placeholder entries in their system.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
jrricky said:
Wait, i thought matt c said this game isnt coming out for the wii.
Matt C and Bozon were joking.

Matt: "This game has really good graphics."
Bozon: "That means it's not coming to Wii."
Matt: (laughs)
Bozon: (laughs)
Sakurai: (chuckles)

Vagabundo

Crushed said:
Matt C and Bozon were joking.

Matt: "This game has really good graphics."
Bozon: "That means it's not coming to Wii."
Matt shoots Bozon in the neck with a poison dart
Bozon: Arghh!! That hur.......<crash>
Sakurai: (chuckles)

o_O

dark10x

solid2snake said:
Unleash will release for PS2 as well? damn SEGA, why bother with the last gen?
They bother with it because the Wii is popular and the PS2 still has a huge install base. I'd say it's pretty difficult to make a game for PS3/360 class hardware while still offering a Wii version. In most cases, the Wii game will end up being pretty different or, at least, use very different technology base and set of assets. I suppose they figure that, if they are already designing a Wii-class engine, they may as well port it to the PS2 as well (as only minor downgrades would likely be required).

If the Wii were not using dated technology, I highly doubt many of these PS2 releases would exist.

dark10x

I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that what I'm saying is false?

I think it's pretty obvious that this is the reality.

dark10x said:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that what I'm saying is false?

I think it's pretty obvious that this is the reality.

I don't think that's the reality at all. If the Wii was up to speed technologically, it wouldn't be getting games designed with the PS2 in mind but I don't see publishers ignoring the largest user base of all time either way.

dark10x

Rancid Mildew said:
I don't think that's the reality at all. If the Wii was up to speed technologically, it wouldn't be getting games designed with the PS2 in mind but I don't see publishers ignoring the largest user base of all time either way.
I think the life of the PS2 is being extended by the Wii, that's all.

I'm sure software would continue to release for it, but this seems to have become more common than ever.

Link Man

Banned
dark10x said:
They bother with it because the Wii is popular and the PS2 still has a huge install base. I'd say it's pretty difficult to make a game for PS3/360 class hardware while still offering a Wii version. In most cases, the Wii game will end up being pretty different or, at least, use very different technology base and set of assets. I suppose they figure that, if they are already designing a Wii-class engine, they may as well port it to the PS2 as well (as only minor downgrades would likely be required).

If the Wii were not using dated technology, I highly doubt many of these PS2 releases would exist.
Bollocks. If Sega would utilize the power of the Wii properly, a PS2 version would require a major downgrade. Remember, the GCN blew the PS2 out of the water graphically, and the Wii is more powerful than the GCN.

Threi

notag
LinkAMN said:
Bollocks. If Sega would utilize the power of the Wii properly, a PS2 version would require a major downgrade. Remember, the GCN blew the PS2 out of the water graphically, and the Wii is more powerful than the GCN.

That burns money though. Considering this is a multiplat, they can't just blow all there resources and development time creating Wii assets, when they have PS3/360 assets to deal with as well. Sure it will please Wii fans, but there are more than those buying the game. I can't really blame them for creating shared PS2/Wii assets in multiplat games, as it is the most efficient way to divvy up resources evenly.

That isn't to say that the Wii won't be pushed hard in any matter (it definitely will for exclusives, think above XBOX on average), but for multiplats, Wii owners will just have to bite their lip and enjoy PS2/Wii shared assets until:

1. PS2 dies off
2. The company is willing to invest a large amount of money into a feasible way to downgrade PS3/360 engines to run on Wii

My6cats

Banned
LinkAMN said:

Not every Gamecube game did. Most 3rd party games looked just as good on the PS2. The only Gamecube games that were great were Nintendo's, but then again Sony could get games like Gods of War 1 and 2 out of the PS2. Most companies have been just porting the PS2 games to wii, at least Sega gave the Wii some exclusives.

Link Man

Banned
Threi said:
That burns money though. Considering this is a multiplat, they can't just blow all there resources and development time creating Wii assets, when they have PS3/360 assets to deal with as well. Sure it will please Wii fans, but there are more than those buying the game. I can't really blame them for creating shared PS2/Wii assets in multiplat games, as it is the most efficient way to divvy up resources evenly.

That isn't to say that the Wii won't be pushed hard in any matter (it definitely will for exclusives, think above XBOX on average), but for multiplats, Wii owners will just have to bite their lip and enjoy PS2/Wii shared assets until:

1. PS2 dies off
2. The company is willing to invest a large amount of money into a feasible way to downgrade PS3/360 engines to run on Wii
And this is why so many people bemoan the amount of shovelware on Wii. Third parties need to learn that if they want to succeed on a Nintendo platform, they need to invest the proper resources, just as they do for the other consoles.

Vagabundo

Threi said:

1. PS2 dies off

Look at how well SOTC and M&Sat the Olympics has sold. I dont think it is unfair to ask that Sega reqard the Wii by pushing the hardware a little. The wii is a lot more capable that the GC and that machine was (mostly) more capable then the ps2.

In short, I can blame them, they will make a packet on this game on the Wii if they put the effort in, the Wii should be the lead platform.

Proven

My6cats said:
Not every Gamecube game did. Most 3rd party games looked just as good on the PS2. The only Gamecube games that were great were Nintendo's, but then again Sony could get games like Gods of War 1 and 2 out of the PS2. Most companies have been just porting the PS2 games to wii, at least Sega gave the Wii some exclusives.

Since I happen to be here first, I'll just say Resident Evil 4 and let the others come up with a better answer.

Calcaneus

Teknoman said:
Image.jpg

Needs more Hyper Knuckles.

O.M.G.

I totally had that comic! I used to love those Archie Sonics.

Oh, and the game looks kinda cool, but for obvious reasons I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

The Hermit

dark10x said:
I think the life of the PS2 is being extended by the Wii, that's all.

I'm sure software would continue to release for it, but this seems to have become more common than ever.

Interesting, I never though that way.
So the PS2 still sells because of the Wii? How ironic...

dark10x

LinkAMN said:
There is indeed a difference in capability between them and it could be fairly significant, but they are still clearly members of the same generation. I'd say the gap between the two is no greater than that the gap between XBOX and PS2 was. In fact, I'd say XBOX has a greater advantage over both the Wii and PS2 due to its implementation of shaders. PS2 would have a more difficult time emulating the shader heavy XBOX games simply because it could never reproduce such effects, yet even the most advanced Wii game still refrains from using anything too far beyond what the PS2 could handle.

I suppose the main thing to remember is that most assets created for a Wii game could easily be used with a PS2 title. You might lose some texture fidelity and a few effects, but the end result would still be quite reasonable even when talking about high-end titles. Resident Evil 4, for instance, did suffer on PS2...but it was still a very playable game and retained the atmosphere of the original. It would be impossible to bring something like Resident Evil 5 to the Wii without completely re-doing just about everything, however.

It isn't exactly insulting either. We all have a rough idea of what the Wii can achieve. There is no doubt that it is more powerful than the PS2, but it is still within a similar generation of hardware.

Top Bottom