• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

Mr_Brit

Banned
Kotaku

It is a combination of a more traditional interface—as previously reported, the New Controller has two analog sticks, one d-pad, four face buttons, two shoulder buttons and two triggers—and the tilting, turning and shaking motion controls that made the Wii a smash success.

The new controller also incorporates a large touchscreen interface, a front-facing camera, gyroscope, and microphone.

Nintendo offered the following loose technical specifications to Kotaku in a pre-briefing on Nintendo's New Console.

• High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output
  • 6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution
  • Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD carts
  • Games ship on proprietary iDensity discs of unspecified, but "large capacity"
  • Games will also be available as downloadable content
  • Console compatible with Wii games and devices
  • Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year

So no Hard Drive then?

Edit 3: Breaking News on CPU from Engadget:

Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson, the supercomputer that bested a couple of meatbags on Jeopardy awhile back. Unfortunately, IBM wouldn't give us the chip's clock speeds, but if it's good enough to smoke Ken Jennings on national TV, we imagine it'll do alright against its competition from Sony and Microsoft.

Engadget

Edit 2: Controller does not support multi touch.
Controller needs to be in the same room so no playing around the house.
Wii games won't be upscaled, they'll still be a jaggy mess.

Edit: More details.
b16s.png

onipex

No blu ray or hdd...... I'm ok with that. Specs don't sell me consoles. I just have no idea what is going on with this thing.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Fantastical said:
No Blu Ray.

All these rumors were wrong.
It's probably Blu Ray tech just not Blu Ray so they don't have to pay licensing fees. This probably also means Wii U won't play Blu Ray discs or DVDs.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
All pretty much expected given most of the confirmed rumours.

Holiday 2012 it is. I expect a solid price point by next E3.

Kenka

So there is a new console then.

I guess the controller and the Wii U are bound through some sort of connectivity that isn't bluetooth, otherwise there is no way you could stream games even at half-HD resolution.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
FFF... Reggie is talkin to the G4 guys now. He said that while the WiiU will be able to play the Wii software, it WILL NOT UPSCALE. It'll still look like a Wii game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Cow Mengde said:
Motion controls? Where is it? I'm not playing any fucking FPS/shooters with dual analog.
Sorry, but seems we lost that battle. :( Move I our only hope now, or keep playing on PC.

Cow Mengde said:
Motion controls? Where is it? I'm not playing any fucking FPS/shooters with dual analog.

Will work with all Wii controllers.

Whether or not developers decide to still support them is yet to be seen.

KingDizzi

Banned
And just like that Sony and MS held back their next consoles for a few more years. IGN were right off the ball, only correct thing was the controller and someone on Gaf pretty much drew exactly the same thing, like WOW whoever made it because it was exactly the same.

Salsa

the only people who care about internal hard drives are the ones lazy enough to not hook up an external one through the USB port.

My Wii has been hooked up to a Hard Drive for years now, c'mon.

HaRyu said:
FFF... Reggie is talkin to the G4 guys now. He said that while the WiiU will be able to play the Wii software, it WILL NOT UPSCALE. It'll still look like a Wii game.

They'll still look better though due to better output quality.

HaRyu said:
So lame. Could've been an awesome selling point for hardcore gamers who didn't get the Wii due to it being SD. I would love to play Nintendo's first party games in HD.

So 1080p confirmed. I expect the launch games to barely look like Xbox 360 games, but let Capcom play with the damn system for a while... Oh yes, it will be glorious.

BeeDog

What I'm also eager to read up on is the software tools Nintendo will offer developers. Since the console seems to be close to the PS360 in raw tech specs (perhaps a tad better), a lot of importance will be placed on the dev tools themselves if the WiiU is to gain some kind of graphical upper hand.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm wondering. None of the screens, thus far, have actually shown (except NSMBMii) running on the controller. Can I actually play HD Zelda totally (though not HD, I accept that) on the controller, or will it just be menus and stuff?

Sounds about as expected. Expandable storage via USB is a good thing! :) 1080p is a good thing, especially after Totillo caused us all to question it.

Instro

HaRyu said:

Theres no point, it wouldnt look any better unless played at native resolution.

I wonder how much damage will be done if MS/Sony show their new consoles next E3 and WiiU isn't out yet? Will people beyond the Big N faithful still be anxious to buy the WiiU or will they just wait for the next (presumably) more powerful wave?

Also- I know Batman Arkham City, Darksiders II, Metro, and Battlefield 3 were all shown for WiiU... but aren't all of these games due out on PS3/360 by the end of this year?

I'd hope those games would have some good additional content to encourage people to buy them upwards of a year later...

Top Bottom