• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

jwluther

SoulPlaya said:
I'm wondering. None of the screens, thus far, have actually shown (except NSMBMii) running on the controller. Can I actually play HD Zelda totally (though not HD, I accept that) on the controller, or will it just be menus and stuff?
I am almost 100% certain that Zelda was shown playing on the controller in the montage.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TheJollyCorner said:
I'd hope those games would have some good additional content to encourage people to buy them upwards of a year later...
Supports Wii U- stream to the controller.

$60.

Hazanko

Banned
SalsaShark said:
the only people who care about internal hard drives are the ones lazy enough to not hook up an external one through the USB port.

My Wii has been hooked up to a Hard Drive for years now, c'mon.

It's not lazy, why should I though? Nintendo want the core gamers to come back but why go with their console when my PS3 and Xbox360 have hard drives built in? Why should I go out my way to hook up an external hard drive?

xbhaskarx

HaRyu said:
FFF... Reggie is talkin to the G4 guys now. He said that while the WiiU will be able to play the Wii software, it WILL NOT UPSCALE. It'll still look like a Wii game.
Nooooooooooooo

disappointed in the name and lack of hard drive but I'll wait til nintendo world and next e3 before taking out my pitchfork.

it won't upscale wii games? surely this must be a mistake.

Instro said:
Right and dolphin emulator makes games look better because it renders at a higher resolution not just upscales.

PS2 games look much nicer when played on my PS3 because of the upscaling.

DJ_Lae

The new controller incorporates a....touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barrier between games, players and TV by creating a second window into the video game world.

Wait, what barrier? Having to look at the TV when you're playing games?

scitek

HaRyu said:
FFF... Reggie is talkin to the G4 guys now. He said that while the WiiU will be able to play the Wii software, it WILL NOT UPSCALE. It'll still look like a Wii game.

How else will they sell HD Wiimakes?

Gorgon

AbsoluteZero said:
Will work with all Wii controllers.

Whether or not developers decide to still support them is yet to be seen.

But doesn't that mean that the standard controler is now not really a "motion controler" as we perceive it? Doesn't look like it's going to be the default controler at all. Looks like Nintendo is laughing at Sony and MS right now and saying "motion controlers were just an artificial fad we created. Suck it up and move on. The shit now is a portable console as the controler".

Lol. Gonna be cool to see what Sony/MS do now, specially after all the Kynect garbage this E3. Does the Sony Vita support streaming from PS3?

KingDizzi said:
And just like that Sony and MS held back their next consoles for a few more years. IGN were right off the ball, only correct thing was the controller and someone on Gaf pretty much drew exactly the same thing, like WOW whoever made it because it was exactly the same.

Wasn't IGN also the one that heavily hinted that GTAV would be announced at Nintendo's conference?

Jin34

McHuj said:
Have you seen the dolphin emulator?

The Dolphin emulator IS rendering the game in HD, that is not upscaling. Everyone that has their Wii hooked up to an HDTV is already playing them upscaled.

McHuj

Foxix said:
Uhhhh.... no?

It can display menu's in 1080p.

Saying a console is capable of 1080p isn't the same as actually being able to play a game in 1080p and 60 fps.

Liek the 360, I don't think WiiU will be able to render games at 1080p.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Gorgon said:
Lol. Gonna be cool to see what Sony/MS do now, specially after all the Kynect garbage this E3. Does the Sony Vita support streaming from PS3?

It should. The PSP can already stream some Mini and some PSN games, as well as videos, music, and photos.

scitek

Seriously, you guys that bought all those HD remakes on other systems can't possibly question why the WiiU doesn't upscale Wii games. There's money to be made in that market. With that said, GIVE ME METROID PRIME TRILOGY HD NINTENDO

SolidSnakex said:
Wasn't IGN also the one that heavily hinted that GTAV would be announced at Nintendo's conference?
I've been telling you guiz the truth about GTA V for about 3 months now.

Y U NO BERIEVE ME

McHuj said:
It can display menu's in 1080p.

Saying a console is capable of 1080p isn't the same as actually being able to play a game in 1080p and 60 fps.

Based on what information?

alterno69

Banned
Being a sports junkie the padtroller looks nice but i'm not sure that's enough for mme to buy a new console. Also how far does the conectivity works? If i could play with the remote screen all over my house that would be great but i'm sure SOME lag will be present considering it's wireless. Another issue is batteries, if their portable console has crappy batery life i don't see that controller lasting more than 4 or 5 hours on a single charge which would mean recharging everyday, kind of a hassle. Also this will probably ship with only one padtroller and i'm sure buying an extra won't be cheap.

Gorgon

HaRyu said:
It should. The PSP can already stream some Mini and some PSN games, as well as videos, music, and photos.

Sounds nice. I actually like this idea. Was anyone really expecting Ninendo to come up with a Virtual Reality Headset for their next console? I seem to remember people (unrealistically) convinced of that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Jin34 said:
The Dolphin emulator IS rendering the game in HD, that is not upscaling. Everyone that has their Wii hooked up to an HDTV is already playing them upscaled.

Maybe I used the wrong word when I said "upscale"?

What Reggie said though is that the Wii games will still look like Wii games, they won't look any different when played on WiiU. That means it won't look better at all, no magic to make it look better.

delirium

alterno69 said:
Being a sports junkie the padtroller looks nice but i'm not sure that's enough for mme to buy a new console. Also how far does the conectivity works? If i could play with the remote screen all over my house that would be great but i'm sure SOME lag will be present considering it's wireless. Another issue is batteries, if their portable console has crappy batery life i don't see that controller lasting more than 4 or 5 hours on a single charge which would mean recharging everyday, kind of a hassle. Also this will probably ship with only one padtroller and i'm sure buying an extra won't be cheap.
It's not rendering on the controller. Battery life will be fine.

McHuj said:
My guess is that multiplatform games will probably be able to run @ 1080p, but native games will be running less than that as they start to push the system by second or third gen titles.

Jin34

WickedLaharl said:
it won't upscale wii games? surely this must be a mistake.

PS2 games look much nicer when played on my PS3 because of the upscaling.

Wii games on Wii U will likely look a little better simply because it be output through HDMI and avoid the Wii's crappy DAC (Digital Analog Converter).

Bluth54

No mention of the system being able to take Gamecube disks and it looks like it doesn't have Gamecube ports. Could they be dropping Gamecube BC?

asdad123

From the specs, it makes it seem like only one of these "new controllers" can be connected?

They say up to four wiimotes could be connected, but dont specify a number of the new controllers.

Salsa

Hazanko said:
It's not lazy, why should I though? Nintendo want the core gamers to come back but why go with their console when my PS3 and Xbox360 have hard drives built in? Why should I go out my way to hook up an external hard drive?

You shouldnt, im not justifying them not doing it, im just saying that its not a big deal at all since the work around is easy to do and just as expensive.

McHuj

GoldenEye 007 said:
Based on what information?

No information, but looking at the size of the WiiU, it's not going to be very power hungry device. Small form factor, small cooling package system.

At present, I doubt you could fit a 360 or PS3 into that form factor and keep it cool enough (at a decent cost). Both of those systems still overheat in the current designs.

Next year, at 32/28nm process tech I think it will be possible.

Performance will be very similar to PS3/360.

epaturun

this - on all the demos they only showed one of the new controllers and described it in that way - which is poor cause the potential other wise would be huge - Fifa and free kicks etc

Kenka

Wait :

• no Gamecube support
  • no Wii games upscaling ?

Time to grunt.

McHuj said:
No information, but looking at the size of the WiiU, it's not going to be very power hungry device. Small form factor, small cooling package system.

At present, I doubt you could fit a 360 or PS3 into that form factor and keep it cool enough (at a decent cost). Both of those systems still overheat in the current designs.

Next year, at 32/28nm process tech I think it will be possible.

Performance will be very similar to PS3/360.

Well, I have an objection. Graphics cards from 2010 are 8-9 times more powerful than the most cutting edge GPUs we had in 2005. And they have the same size and power consumption.

epaturun

asdad123 said:
From the specs, it makes it seem like only one of these "new controllers" can be connected?

They say up to four wiimotes could be connected, but dont specify a number of the new controllers.

this - on all the demos they only showed one of the new controllers and described it in that way - which is poor cause the potential other wise would be huge - Fifa and free kicks etc

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
HaRyu said:

Lag.

Top Bottom