• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Reggie saying that the controller needs to be in the same room as the console, basically...doesn't look like it has general 'house' range.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
McHuj said:
No information, but looking at the size of the WiiU, it's not going to be very power hungry device. Small form factor, small cooling package system.

At present, I doubt you could fit a 360 or PS3 into that form factor and keep it cool enough (at a decent cost). Both of those systems still overheat in the current designs.

Next year, at 32/28nm process tech I think it will be possible.

Performance will be very similar to PS3/360.
No. You are wrong.

Mr_Brit

Banned
gofreak said:
Reggie saying that the controller needs to be in the same room as the console, basically...doesn't look like it has general 'house' range.
Does anyone know what wireless streaming technology it is using?

Instro said:
Theres a better spec sheet on their press site. Addon HDD and "High density discs"

Now they just need to let us know that the USB ports are USB 3.0 and we don't have to use proprietary Nintendo made HDDs.

Before anyone says it.... Yes, I know there are supposedly some issues with USB 3.0 like overheating, but that is/was already being solved by manufactures adding heat sinks to their devices.

gofreak said:

Noooo!

alterno69

Banned
delirium said:
It's not rendering on the controller. Battery life will be fine.
Good point.

Just saw Reggie confirm you have to be in the same room when playing as a remote screen, lame. I'm sure Nintendo knows people have more than one TV right?

Kenka

George said:
You people who were expecting Gamecube support are retarded

Why are you saying that ? Gamecube controls can be perfectly emulated on Wii U. It is disappointing, come on ! OK, you need to buy the big ass controller or the CC Pro since there will probably not be any GC-pad hole in the box but still.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
User Name Here said:
Before anyone says it.... Yes, I know there are supposedly some issues with USB 3.0 like overheating, but that is/was already being solved by manufactures adding heat sinks to their devices.

That isn't a solution, is poor man's patch.

McHuj said:
Wow. That's terrible.
SMH.

Jin34

HaRyu said:
Maybe I used the wrong word when I said "upscale"?

What Reggie said though is that the Wii games will still look like Wii games, they won't look any different when played on WiiU. That means it won't look better at all, no magic to make it look better.

There are ways to make the upscaling look better (not all upscalers are created equal, etc). Like what Sony did with the PS1 to PS2 and PS2 to PS3. Also DVD upscalers back in the day but all of this is still in the same resolution.

Kenka

User Name Here said:
Now they just need to let us know that the USB ports are USB 3.0.

Noooo!

Pardon me but could you give an example about how USB 3.0 could improve performance in the context of gaming ? Do we transfer data without lag from your external HDD through USB 2.0 currently ? Does USB 3.0 allow us to stream content with a noticeable difference ?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
rpmurphy said:
Reggie: screen is not multi-touch.
But in the conference the reel specifically stated "MULTITOUCH!" and showed two people touching it at once.

alterno69

Banned
Jtwo said:
But in the conference the reel specifically stated "MULTITOUCH!" and showed two people touching it at once.
Basically he is full of shit, it seems to me that even Nintendo doesn't know what the system will be capable of yet.

Somnid

Jtwo said:

You sure you weren't thinking the LBP Vita trailer? I don't remember this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
No it didn't. They never touched the screen at the same time.
Well it said multitouch. And showed two people playing a board game. Whether or not they were physically touching the screen at the same time I'm not really sure, but that moment happened.

rpmurphy

Jtwo said:
Well it said multitouch. And showed two people playing a board game. Whether or not they were physically touching the screen at the same time I'm not really sure, but that moment happened.
Right, but it was two people alternating touching a single point on the screen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just saying the caption said "multiouch." Didn't it?

gerg

eznark said:
Not multi-touch, must be in same room? hahahahah

Why is that last bit disappointing?

The idea with the Wii U is to allow more than one person to share the same social space (by not requiring use of the main TV screen), not to remove the games from it.

alterno69

Banned
gerg said:
Why is that last bit disappointing?

The idea with the Wii U is to allow more than one person to share the same social space (by not requiring use of the main TV screen), not to remove the games from it.
Personally, it was a big selling point for me cause the idea of playing my console games in my bedroom is very apealing, it has no use for me if i have to be in the same room. Will i buy a new console for a glorified VMU, no.

Same reason i expect the Vita to be cross platform with the PS3 online.

McHuj

Lonely1 said:
11mx, way smaller than a 360/Ps3 but more powerful. Or the Mac Mini, it's C2D runs circles around xenos,

Yeah persuasive , a laptop that's $999 and a Mac that's $699. lol.

Nintendo will sell this console for around $300 with a controller, and make money on top of it.

sangreal

I assume this uses wireless hdmi or similar for lag-free streaming, so I'm not surprised by same room use. They said it wasn't a portable device

Is there any confirmation on whether or not you can use more than one though?

choodi

Banned
This might be a stupid question, but I have not heard or seen anything where more than one of the new controllers is used simutaneously, is this possible or is it only one new controller at the same time?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NemesisPrime said:
Not needed.

Nintendo's "proprietary" disc format for the WiiU will be based on BD, just as the case was with the Wii and DVD, and the GameCube and miniDVD. It's their sneaky way of avoiding licensing fees while not having to invest money into something that is actually their own format.

GJS

Rahxephon91 said:
LoL Won't scale Wii games? WTF is the point of the system then?
Why would you want games that support 480p maximum stretched and upscaled to 1080p by the console, it won't look any better.

Top Bottom