• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

ArachosiA 78 said:
So what is this "multi-touch" feature everyone seems to be pissed about the WiiU not having? I've never owned any kind of touch screen anything, so I have no idea what muti-touch means.

Touch the screen in two places at once and have them do something.

Like lets say you wanted to zoom in on something by pinching your fingers together while they are on the touch screen... you can't do that with this.

Agent X

Cartman86 said:
I also question how you could link up Vita and PS3 in a way that would not result in the kind of lag you see with remote play.

Remote Play between PS3 and PSP uses 802.11b. Remote Play between PS3 and PS Vita could conceivably use 802.11g, which is much faster. If you're talking about "within your house" Remote Play (similar to the way Wii U works with its controller), then this would result in better video quality with far less lag than the current PSP implementation.

onQ123 said:
well remote play isn't really a big deal when the games on the handheld look just as good as the PS3 games would look downscaled to it's screen anyway, but I'm thinking more of games being made for PS3 that work with the Vita for things like looking around the game world & using the touch controls with the main game still on your TV.

also like I was saying before the Vita & PS3 might work together instead of the PS3 sending a downscaled video over wireless b like with the PSP they could be doing the processing on the PS3 & rendering it on the Vita

That's entirely possible.

For those who are having difficulty understanding, what this means is that the PS3 game would transmit a small executable to the PS Vita, and then some small amount of data (not a full video stream) would be communicated between the PS3 and the PS Vita. Games like SingStar on the PS3 already support this kind of functionality with a PSP--you can create a playlist on PSP while the PS3 game is in session. I believe some of the Guitar Hero games on the Wii also do something lsimilar with the DS.

If want blind play selection in a football game, or looking at your map/inventory in an adventure game, this solution would work very nicely.

FStop7 said:
I can believe it. Sending multiple HD signals over the air would require some crazy bandwidth, not to mention be very taxing on the hardware.
I could see compromises being made. Instead of, say, one player with 1920x1080 on screen and 852x480 (or whatever it is) on the controller, four players could have 1280x720 on TV and 426x480 on their controllers. Adjust as necessary depending on whether it's a game where most of the focus is going to be on the TV or controller.
a176 said:
ibm processor, radeon graphics, flash memory

sounds like ...

microsoft-xbox-360-slim-4gb.jpg
I think that's a bit backwards. When X360 turned out to be IBM+ATI, it sounded like GameCube.
ElFly said:
What the fuck is the sensor strip?
It's the sensor bar, but not in bar form.

The Dutch Slayer said:
Yes but they are talking about parents using the tv for watching tv/movies and the kid(s) using Wii U as a screen for the game in the console.
And if you have more than 1 kid that would make that impossible?
That is stupid and contradictory to what nintendo is saying them selfs.
You are aware that you could just have people using classic controllers while the gameplay is all streamed to the screen, right?

I mean, yeah, it's gonna be a small screen, but at least it'll be HD.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wrowa said:
Are you for real? Nintendo never made a secret out of it and no one expected the footage to be of Wii U versions of the games. It was only shown in order to prove that there's 3rd party support on its way, which lack was literally Wii's biggest flaw.

Blame it more on GAF posters assuming it is what WiiU can "only" do.

Bert

TestOfTide said:
You are aware that you could just have people using classic controllers while the gameplay is all streamed to the screen, right?

I mean, yeah, it's gonna be a small screen, but at least it'll be HD.

I had a friend when I was a kid who had to play his PS2 on a 4 inch black and white TV in his room when the main TV was in use...

Arkham said:
I know that, I'm not missing the point. I'm saying that I think they missed a golden opportunity to integrate the 3DS as the controller.

EDIT: Oh, THIS is nice? Imagine the outrage if Sony did this...

Nintendo admits its Wii U highlight reel was spiced up with PS3 and Xbox 360 footage
Sony does do this.

I am willing to bet that they did this on Monday with 360 and PC footage.

Here's a fun game: the exact same Ninja Gaiden 3 footage was at every conference in some form. Whose was it? Who gets to be outraged? Or does the footage belong to Tecmo so it doesn't really matter who it's from?

Arkham said:
I know that, I'm not missing the point. I'm saying that I think they missed a golden opportunity to integrate the 3DS as the controller.
Maybe. But that inevetibly runs into the same problem as GBA/GCN or PSV/PS3--Not everyone owns one. The only way that that would even be a good idea would be if they planned on having games that used several Wii U tablets, but that's looking unlikely right now
wrowa said:
Are you for real? Nintendo never made a secret out of it and no one expected the footage to be of Wii U versions of the games. It was only shown in order to prove that there's 3rd party support on its way, which lack was literally Wii's biggest flaw.
Wow, Nintendo really didn't make anything clear about that. I honestly thought those were Wii U games--why wouldn't they have been? It's a fucking conference about the Wii U.

Wii U comes with one controller, but when the costs go down you can buy multiple Wii U controllers. Hence you have Wii U's, or Wii Us.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Jeff from Giantbomb made a great point last night on the livestream. It is great that the Wii U is getting these third party big releases but the games are coming out this Fall and by the time Wii U releases they will be 6 months old at the earliest.

So here is to hoping to see some solid news on what NEW is coming to the Wii U at TGS.

Vinci

Danish
xxracerxx said:
Jeff from Giantbomb made a great point last night on the livestream. It is great that the Wii U is getting these third party big releases but the games are coming out this Fall and by the time Wii U releases they will be 6 months old at the earliest.

So here is to hoping to see some solid news on what NEW is coming to the Wii U at TGS.

EA, at the very least, is going to put everything it can on this system.

FoneBone

xxracerxx said:

Most of the games discussed were 2012 releases, and we still don't know when in 2012 Cafe is launching. But yeah, I think late ports are pretty much irrelevant for selling hardware, regardless of what the controller adds.

Top Bottom