• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Seiken Densetsu Rise of Mana (F2P, iOS/Android, actually a game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omllJJzuK6Y

I had immediately assumed it'd be a card game. Glad I'm wrong.

The official site is here: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken_rom/

EDIT: Says it'll be hitting iOS soon, and Android sometime in 2014. Soundtrack is being composed by Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenji ito, Hiroki Kikuta, and Yoko Shimomura.

Also it's Free to Play with microtransactions. From the looks of it, weapon crafting has been monetized, but I'm not sure.

pc_capt_smp1.jpg

romo2uzd.png

Rise of Mana soundtrack composed by Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenji ito, Hiroki Kikuta, Yoko Shimomura.

Ok then. Also, could a mod edit Seiken Densetsu into the title? Just realized it seems kinda vague.

Looks pretty good but to think that a few years ago this would've been a 3DS or Vita game, but now it'll probably a $15 game with insane amounts of IAPs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Looks pretty good but to think that a few years ago this would've been a 3DS or Vita game, but now it'll probably a $15 game with insane amounts of IAPs.

It's free... with insane amounts of IAPs.

If it were on DS or PSP I'd probably say "great! I'm glad this series is alive!" and then I wouldn't buy it and pick up a used copy 5 years down the line..... :p

wmlk

Looks fun.

The only thing preventing me from playing mobile games (other than the horrible controls) is the stigma that I get just from looking at them. It's hard to take these dedicated games seriously when you know how much of a trainwreck similar titles are.

KiraXD

if they made this a 39.99 vita/3ds game id buy it... but since its probably a 15.99 iOS game with IAP... no thanks... seriously this type of shit ruined gaming for me. I just wanna pay for a game and enjoy it in its entirety... not IAP's to get me save points and health and mana...

Will we ever get a game like this for an actual console (not bloody mobile phones) that doesnt ask us for money every time i open a chest?

BocoDragon

I would be totally cool with Square if they went the DOTA2 F2P model.... give us the full game for free, and charge for cosmetic changes like costumes.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omllJJzuK6Y

I had immediately assumed it'd be a card game. Glad I'm wrong.

The official site is here: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken_rom/

EDIT: Says it'll be hitting iOS soon, and Android sometime in 2014. Soundtrack is being composed by Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenji ito, Hiroki Kikuta, and Yoko Shimomura.

Also it's Free to Play with microtransactions. From the looks of it, weapon crafting has been monetized, but I'm not sure.

Oh wow, it looks good and funny. Finally they're putting some efforts in this phone-games eh?

randomkid

Hmm, if all those composers are credited my guess is the soundtrack will mainly be arrangements of old tunes, there was already some familiar stuff in the trailer.

Seeing Lil' Cactus writing in his diary at the end just makes me wanna bust out Legend of Mana again.

Mlatador

Banned
Rise of Mana? The downfall of Seiken Densetsu happend a long time ago and this doesn't look like it's gonna change anything.

Eusis

Well, it certainly looks better than I seriously expected, which is frankly an accomplishment in and of itself I think.

Shame how everything's gone to F2P on mobile or I'd at least be cautiously optimistic rather than "call me back if it's not exploitive to hell."

redcrayon

Well, it certainly looks better than I seriously expected, which is frankly an accomplishment in and of itself I think.

Shame how everything's gone to F2P on mobile or I'd at least be cautiously optimistic rather than "call me back if it's not exploitive to hell."

That's exactly how I feel. I'll have a look later this year when I've seen some impressions about exactly how tediously monetised the basic upgrades are. I'm not convinced about touch controls on an action RPG either, the only one I got on with were the stylus controls on the DS Zelda games are they weren't as action-intensive as this appears to be.

To be honest, it's not just my scepticism regarding allegedly 'Free To Play' mobile games. I love Secret of Mana so much, I still play it through every couple of years on the VC. But I've already bought Sword of Mana on GBA and Children of Mana on DS and all they did was spoil my hopes for it. After 20 years I'm happy to write off the series.

Zen

Banned

I don't understand why these kinds of titles aren't dual releases on 3DS/Vita to begin with. Publishers must really want traditional handhelds dead to constantly leave money on the table like this.

BocoDragon

I don't understand why these kinds of titles aren't dual releases on 3DS/Vita to begin with. Publishers must really want traditional handhelds dead to constantly leave money on the table like this.

That's actually a great point. Why wouldn't they dual-purpose assets for console/handheld releases? It's not like the F2P audience would be put off by a full featured release... they wouldn't even know about it. But maybe the other way around ("why is this free on mobile but I have to pay on 3DS??") is a potential source of controversy.

Still, what you are suggesting is a valid way forward. I'd be happy to pay for the full product if I knew I was getting a real game and wouldn't be nickel and dimed, unlike my F2P counterparts on mobile.

Rootbeer

Banned
it looks great :( but ios/android only... i hate this trend so much.

Why is it that when devs like SE target smartphones for a game it ONLY comes out on smartphones? There are plenty of toolsets out there to facilitate releasing a game on ios/android AND other platforms. This is the kind of game I'd love as a downloadable title on my PS4 for example. Or even on my Vita/3DS. I would be so elated if this were coming to one of those.

Rhapsody

Banned
Actually... looks pretty good. And of course the music is the best thing out of this.

Seeing the giant crab brings back memories.

Zen

Banned
That's actually a great point. Why wouldn't they dual-purpose assets for console/handheld releases? It's not like the F2P audience would be put off by a full featured release... they wouldn't even know about it. But maybe the other way around ("why is this free on mobile but I have to pay on 3DS??") is a potential source of controversy.

Still, what you are suggesting is a valid way forward. I'd be happy to pay for the full product if I knew I was getting a real game and wouldn't be nickel and dimed, unlike my F2P counterparts on mobile.

I was more meaning even simply releasing them as F2P digital titles but what you're saying works as well. Look at PSO2 on Vita, it released in Japan digitally as with a boxed copy that contained a ton otherwise paid content and in game currency. It sold very well.

I just boggles my mind. Especially when both handhelds have viable touch surfaces to replicate the IOS screen in the first place.

Even if Sony, for instance, had no success in getting company's like Gameloft to port content over (for some reason), titles like Mass Effect Infiltration? Deus Ex IOS? Why in the world were these titles not also at least on the Vita?

"We're going to release titles directly aimed at the hardcore gaming crowd to a price adverse casual gaming platform and not port them over to dedicated gaming platforms at almost no additional cost to our operations or development"

SmokyDave

It's something that has had me scratching my head for a year or two now, and I can only assume that dedicated handhelds just don't offer a return on investment, even for cheap mobile ports. That's the only logical reason, but I just can't believe that.

It makes no sense. I will never understand why I can't play GTA: San Andreas on my Vita, but I can play it on my phone.

Mael

This is certainly a better project than...well pretty much all of World of Mana...
Evidently the only boss we see is FullMetalHaggar...
The artstyle look close to what we got in Dawn of Mana.
the music is good and the people behind it tells me that they're actually making their best to make sure we, Mana fans, are interested in the game.
Last gen it would have been a full game on DS...
Instead we get f2p BS and no controller at all.
This gen sucks balls already.
If it's free on Android, I'll probably install it...then again it's Square Enix.

wrowa

I'm starting to get so tired of this. I'm not a huge mobile fan, but I was able to deal with many games going iOS/Android. Personally, I don't really like playing complex games on my phone, simply because long game sessions drain the battery too quickly, but it's nothing that would keep me away from playing a game I want to play.

But now, everything is not only smartphone exclusive, but also free to play. :( And I just can't get into that in most cases. There are a few games I like to play regardless, but in most cases I extremely hate the feeling of spending money inside of a game. I play games to relax, but every time a game tells me to buy something with my real money in-game I feel stressed. It doesn't even matter if I end up paying less money via microtransactions than I would pay with a traditional boxed game concept -- it's just not a way of playing games I can enjoy. :(

/rant

This game does look kinda nice, though. I'm not overly optimistic that it will turn out good, since every Mana game since Legend of Mana tends to be kinda garbage, but this one does look like fun.

JB2448

I have so many mixed emotions about this title. On one hand, it's a new Mana game that doesn't revolve around cards. On the other, free-to-play on mobile, which is always a dicey proposition (how are they going to monetize this title)?

Ah well. Worst case scenario, I pick up and immensely enjoy the soundtrack. I'll take it.

Famassu

Because they aren't guaranteed money on the table and based on past performance in the franchise or the platforms (or both), they'd likelier be money down the drain?

Top Bottom