• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First videos of Netflix's The Witcher released

Von Hugh

It is Netflix. It is going to be shit.

A nice, mature, argumentative comment with absolutely no hyperbole in it.

I'm interested to see what kind of spin Henry Cavill is going to give to the character since he is actually a fan of the franchise. Hopefully the rest of the casting makes some sort of sense as well.

KRAai

A nice, mature, argumentative comment with absolutely no hyperbole in it.

well maybe he is pretty mature for his age :messenger_dizzy:
anyway he just wanted to show how salty he is over some changes in his beloved cartoon remake that
happens to be made for netflix :messenger_pensive:

about videos i hoped it is something more than visual effects test clips...

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
God damn some of you guys are negative blow hards. Sjw this, Netflix sucks that, do you hear yourselves? Is that how you live life?

Try to just enjoy life, appreciate new things, give stuff a chance, and stop bitching so much. You’ll find your life gets better if you stop trying to be these negative whiners all the time.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
You don't "enjoy life" by lowering your standards and watching garbage, especially when there's plenty of quality entertainment elsewhere...

Pagusas

Elden Member
You don't "enjoy life" by lowering your standards and watching garbage, especially when there's plenty of quality entertainment elsewhere...

No you enjoy life more by not bitching so much about things that don’t matter or carrying some weird chip on ones shoulder about a media platform of all things.

KRAai

so u maintain your high standard enjoyable life by whining on internet forum about things
you don't care about as they are clearly made for people with way lower standards
ok got it :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
No you enjoy life more by not bitching so much about things that don’t matter or carrying some weird chip on ones shoulder about a media platform of all things.
A quick drive by post about the lack of quality of netflix shows certainly seems more enjoyable than bitching multiple times about people making those comments...

Didn't know you have seen the show already to know its "garbage"
That would imply i'd need to see if first to come to a decent conclusion... I mean yeah there's a small chance i'm wrong but I'm confident...

so u maintain your high standard enjoyable life by whining on internet forum about things
you don't care about as they are clearly made for people with way lower standards
ok got it :messenger_dizzy:
I wasn't whining, I was commenting. I really don't care if this is good or not... I only cared enough to post because this is a discussion forum and I threw my 2 cents in... Based on the jimmies rustled here it seems all the negative feeling about "bitching" and "whining" are projections...

Anyone can arbitrarily be unsatisfied and superficially rationalize anything in a negative spin- no matter how good it is, as garbage. That is why so many people on youtube have pop culture review/critique channels. It's easy easier to vaguely dismiss and downplay something because nothing is perfect, and you can easily mislead other morons to think you have something of value to say by appearing to be a "harsh critic". To be negative is the easiest thing in the world, and people whose lives suck have a way of seeing the works of other as garbage when they themselves probably have garbage opinion. But you're not really anything but a snob who gets knee-jerked by others having a good time with content. Basically one of the morals lessons of Ratatouille!

Netflix produces A LOT of content, so by proxy the pool of bad works is also going to be higher, but to say that they produce garbage or trash is crazy. Netflix have some great content on their platform.

Considering it's a Netflix show the effects look good enough (I think we're all a little bit spoiled by GoT), but there are some inconsistencies in the videos:

1. Why do the soldiers have shields with the Wolf head on them (having read all the books I don't recall there being an army with the School of The Wolf emblem on it), and witchers themselves aren't a militia
2. Kaer Morhen shouldn't be destroyed If I recall correctly (I could be wrong here) since it got damaged by the Salamander's attack in the first game, and this takes place waaaay before the games.... I dunno

VanEs

Videos are set to private so I can't watch them but ...

2. Kaer Morhen shouldn't be destroyed If I recall correctly (I could be wrong here) since it got damaged by the Salamander's attack in the first game, and this takes place waaaay before the games.... I dunno

Iirc Kaer Morhen got destroyed long before the Salamander's attack by a huge mob of fanatics.

BANGS

Banned
But you're not really anything but a snob who gets knee-jerked by others having a good time with content.
What would give you such a silly idea like that? I was just saying I won't like them, I'm sure you guys will enjoy them plenty... Are you one of those people who has a problem enjoying things because other people bash it? I suggest getting over that problem...

Zangiefy360

Banned
God damn some of you guys are negative blow hards. Sjw this, Netflix sucks that, do you hear yourselves? Is that how you live life?

Try to just enjoy life, appreciate new things, give stuff a chance, and stop bitching so much. You’ll find your life gets better if you stop trying to be these negative whiners all the time.

Perhaps it's an age thing? I grew up watching HBO's golden age of shows so that's my expectations for quality. Netflix shows simply can't compare in terms of writing, acting, and production values. With so many awesome tv shows and movies out there that have never been easier to access, why settle for content that is likely to be subpar?

What would give you such a silly idea like that? I was just saying I won't like them, I'm sure you guys will enjoy them plenty... Are you one of those people who has a problem enjoying things because other people bash it? I suggest getting over that problem...

First of all, you weren't saying that. You declared that people would not "enjoy life" by "lowering their standards". Honestly, I don't care what you like or don't like. I don't have a problem with it, I am just responding to what you said. You also didn't specify what you thought "quality entertainment elsewhere was..."

Secondly, it's called the Dunning-Kruger effect. The more ignorant people are about something, the more likely they are to underestimate the quality, skill and effort it took to make what they seemingly dismiss as garbage. Look it up. There is a ton of critique online that is vague, baseless and sort of falls apart once it is put under just a little bit of scrutiny. Outrage / angry videogamer/reviewer type channels, where negativity is used as a form of drama factor to get clicks. What they often criticize, they are guilty of liking/supporting in a different context/franchise/medium. Hench why these people tend to be vague about shit they like, so others can't tear their taste apart.

There is nothing you like I cannot easily dismiss and tear apart intellectually with general, vague summaries and observations. Because no content is perfect, and a general wishy-washy way it's not difficult to really make anything sound like garbage or trash if you just attack it from a certain point of view. Again, being negative is the easiest thing in the world.

I, of course, appreciate a critical look on any medium, but not unfounded or lazy statements, negative or positive.

KRAai

Perhaps it's an age thing? I grew up watching HBO's golden age of shows so that's my expectations for quality. Netflix shows simply can't compare in terms of writing, acting, and production values. With so many awesome tv shows and movies out there that have never been easier to access, why settle for content that is likely to be subpar?

well what are these shows from that golden age ?
and is that age over ? if so only reasonable quality stuff is something old and if not it is only stuff that is made by HBO ?
not sure what shows do you have in mind but anyway there are shows made by netflix that i really enjoy
i guess maybe they would be even better if they had hbo logo before them but well hbo didn't make them
also i don't have easy access to hbo in my language where i live
actually i don't have legal access to them at all :messenger_dizzy:

i don't like that you didn't specify what are those amazing shows so i will list some netflix shows
that i enjoyed and i think are quyality stuff i guess for my low bar
mindhunter, ozark, stranger things, black mirror, the crown, daredevil, atypical, anne with an e, the end of the fucking world, big mouth and probably more i forgot or i haven't seen yet

KRAai

I wasn't whining, I was commenting. I really don't care if this is good or not... I only cared enough to post because this is a discussion forum and I threw my 2 cents in... Based on the jimmies rustled here it seems all the negative feeling about "bitching" and "whining" are projections...

and i just wrote that it's amazing that you have these high standarts that make your life so enjoyable
so you wouldn't get down to a level of watching anything on netflix yet
commeting that someone is right by writting that all stuff on netflix is shit
seems like not only something worth posting and agreeing with on a "discussion" forum
but is a thing of quality which u value so much.

but anyway L Luffytubby said it way better than me
and sorry if this is double post

Zangiefy360

Banned
well what are these shows from that golden age ?
and is that age over ? if so only reasonable quality stuff is something old and if not it is only stuff that is made by HBO ?
not sure what shows do you have in mind but anyway there are shows made by netflix that i really enjoy
i guess maybe they would be even better if they had hbo logo before them but well hbo didn't make them
also i don't have easy access to hbo in my language where i live
actually i don't have legal access to them at all :messenger_dizzy:

i don't like that you didn't specify what are those amazing shows so i will list some netflix shows
that i enjoyed and i think are quyality stuff i guess for my low bar
mindhunter, ozark, stranger things, black mirror, the crown, daredevil, atypical, anne with an e, the end of the fucking world, big mouth and probably more i forgot or i haven't seen yet

The HBO golden age, in my opinion, started with Sex and the City in 1998 and ended with The Wire in 2008.

Carnivale (2003 - 2005)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000 - present)
Deadwood (2004 - 2006)
Oz (1997 - 2003)
Rome (2005-2007)
Sex and the City (1998 - 2004)
Six Feet Under (2001-2005)
The Sopranos (1999-2006)
The Wire (2002-2008)

Also, we're in what could one day be considered the silver age, which kicked off with Boardwalk Empire in 2010 and is still going today.

Barry (2018)
Boardwalk Empire (2010 - 2014)
Big Little Lies (2017 - present)
Eastbound & Down (2009 - 2013)
Game of Thrones (2011 - present)
My Brilliant Friend (2018)
Silicon Valley (2014 - present)
The Deuce (2017 - present)
Vice Principals (2016 - 2017)

HBO's output during these two periods is light years ahead of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. So my comment about this being an age thing, with people growing up watching these shows may make more sense to you now. Many of the above shows are considered classics and among the best ever produced.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
You declared that people would not "enjoy life" by "lowering their standards"
Pretty fair statement, especially in context to which I was told I didn't enjoy life because I don't enjoy shitty netflix shows...

But perhaps you're right, eating shit will keep you full at least...

Zangiefy360

Banned
Pretty fair statement, especially in context to which I was told I didn't enjoy life because I don't enjoy shitty netflix shows...

It blows my mind how so many people have willingly lowered their expectations of entertainment when there are so many great shows and movies out there.

Although, I have a theory on that. The majority of people don't give movies or tv shows their undivided attention anymore so they flock to stuff made by Netflix, Amazon, etc. that aren't as challenging and can be easily understood when paying minimal attention to the plot.

To people that choose to put their phones away when they watch TV they can feel the difference in quality.

Last edited:

KRAai

HBO's output during these two periods is light years ahead of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. So my comment about this being an age thing, with people growing up watching these shows may make more sense to you now. Many of the above shows are considered classics and among the best ever produced.

i love deadwood and six feet under
many of these shows i haven't seen becasue as i've said it's not as easly accessable for me as it should be
in this day and age
anyway i see many shows on your list that for sure are not ahead of everything by netflix
let alone light years
i am not saying they are bad
but as much as i enjoyed for example broadwalk empire
nothing about it screams light years ahead of mindhunter or ozark especialy the later seasons of BE
maybe, just maybe because you grew up with these shows it makes you less objective in a way ?
i would say you should give a try to some of the shows on netflix
also netflix with their we will fund everything attituide while having quite a lot missfires
and sometimes lacking in production values are making some really fun stuff
so there is that.

Fbh

Looks good but there's not a lot to go with. Hopefully finished Gerlat doesn't look like he is wearing a cheap wig

But he's right though...

Netflix has yet to make some top tier all time classics but they've made some enjoyable stuff IMO so I'm holding out hope this is decent

Zangiefy360

Banned
i love deadwood and six feet under
many of these shows i haven't seen becasue as i've said it's not as easly accessable for me as it should be
in this day and age
anyway i see many shows on your list that for sure are not ahead of everything by netflix
let alone light years
i am not saying they are bad
but as much as i enjoyed for example broadwalk empire
nothing about it screams light years ahead of mindhunter or ozark especialy the later seasons of BE
maybe, just maybe because you grew up with these shows it makes you less objective in a way ?
i would say you should give a try to some of the shows on netflix
also netflix with their we will fund everything attituide while having quite a lot missfires
and sometimes lacking in production values are making some really fun stuff
so there is that.

Yeah, you can cherry pick examples where one show doesn't resonate with you as much as another, but look at the differences in overall output. Netflix's best examples would be mid-tier at best during HBO's ongoing silver age, in my opinion.

John Day

Some people just don’t like Netflix produced shows, and their tendency to be cancelled 2 seasons in. Nothing wrong with that.

Not much to go for with just a pair of visual test videos. I do look forward to it for the source material alone.

But bitching about people who bitch... is still bitching. Let’s let it be. Sounds pedantic when people start to call out other people’s “poor life” over something like this.

Zangiefy360

Banned
Looks good but there's not a lot to go with. Hopefully finished Gerlat doesn't look like he is wearing a cheap wig

Netflix has yet to make some top tier all time classics but they've made some enjoyable stuff IMO so I'm holding out hope this is decent

Agreed they haven't made an all-time classic yet. Those that were close, in my opinion, Maniac, Stranger Things season 1, and Devilman Crybaby.

Lanrutcon

Looks fine. Bangs is just being Bangs: starting shit and then scrambling to get out of the resulting flack.

Nobody said that, when you made that post. And nobody said that you don't enjoy life because you don't like Netflix. Pegasus made a point about walking around hating on things because they are not perfect is not productive. You then went down this rabbit hole of talking like a snob and about higher quality, which you haven't specified yet.

It blows my mind how so many people have willingly lowered their expectations of entertainment when there are so many great shows and movies out there.

Although, I have a theory on that. The majority of people don't give movies or tv shows their undivided attention anymore so they flock to stuff made by Netflix, Amazon, etc. that aren't as challenging and can be easily understood when paying minimal attention to the plot.

To people that choose to put their phones away when they watch TV they can feel the difference in quality.

And why would people who don't pay attention or don't have expectations be isolated to Netflix viewers? How do you know about which platform users are exposed to more quality? expectations? and undivided interest to what they are watching? It seems like a lazy assumption to me to make.
Netflix has access to a lot of good foreign content that a lot of people can't normally stomach because they can't fuck with non-english shows and movies. Netflix has done a lot for stand up specials and animated shows. Sounds pretty hyperbolic to me to shit on Netflix users. Like watching the other subscription services makes you some sort of connoisseur of pop culture entertainment. Ain't exactly fine art cinema the others are peddling.

Ofc Netflix has a lot of trash, but they are also massive and produce a lot more. I don't think its fair to infer this generalized hyperbole about such a wide segment without proof.

BANGS

Banned
Nobody said that, when you made that post. And nobody said that you don't enjoy life because you don't like Netflix.
Netflix sucks that, do you hear yourselves? Is that how you live life?
Try to just enjoy life
Yeah okay... nobody said that...

Bangs is just being Bangs: starting shit and then scrambling to get out of the resulting flack.
SameIgnorantClingfish-size_restricted.gif

Yeah okay... nobody said that...

Yeah nobody said that.

Nope nobody said that. You said that. Pegasus didn't say any shit like that you don't enjoy life if you don't enjoy Netflix. He said you'd enjoy life more if you'd not be so negative.

Videos are set to private so I can't watch them but ...

Iirc Kaer Morhen got destroyed long before the Salamander's attack by a huge mob of fanatics.
Yes you're right, I wasn't sure about that detail, thanks for clearing it up :D Still leaves the Wolf heads on the shields though....I guess time will tell what's that all about :)

BANGS

Banned
Yeah nobody said that.

Nope nobody said that. You said that. Pegasus didn't say any shit like that you don't enjoy life if you don't enjoy Netflix. He said you'd enjoy life more if you'd not be so negative.
And how does criticizing netflix signal that I'm a generally negative person that doesn't enjoy things? Or is that just a socially reasonable conclusion to jump to nowadays?

And how does criticizing netflix signal that I'm a generally negative person that doesn't enjoy things? Or is that just a socially reasonable conclusion to jump to nowadays?

You're not really criticizing anything as much as you are dogpiling a driveby post that didn't have anything constructive critique of Netflix either. You are not explaining anything, nor giving suggestions for what is better. Pegasus probably was alluding to posters having general overly pessimistic driveby posts. Like dismissing the platforms accomplishments and good shows it has on. At no point did you "criticize anything".

Secondly, I'd say that most posts I have seen from you are in similar low-effort tone. Pretty generalized, vague and not really of substance.

Last edited:

Ivellios

I disagree with everyone saying the show will be a SJW shit and things like that before even launching.

Personally i think we should wait before making preemptive judgement.

pr0cs

Well it looks like they're spending cash to make some decent looking VFX, though I'll be more impressed when I see some monsters and some magic.

There are some good Netflix shows, Narcos is still one of the best TV shows in the last few years and the new movie Rogue King or wtf it's called is pretty good as well. Yeah the stupid superhero movies have been shit but TBH most of the superhero movies have been utterly forgettable so I'm willing to overlook Netflix attempts as well, clearly the audience that loves superhero movies has a lower bar for content.

There is a lot of interesting content they could go with in regards to The Witcher, the books have a lot of interesting set pieces and stories which would make for some great episodic TV, I'm just worried that it'll turn out like Uwe Boll shit and sour everyone on the story itself, which would be a shame.

plushyp

The biggest issue I have with Netflix shows are the extremely poor pacing. They are built for hooking you on but Netflix doesn't realise that not everyone is going to watch the first 3 episodes in one go and many more often than not tune out.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Am I alone in thinking it looks a little rough...? I mean yeah its a TV show but these are demo videos, supposed to show off what you can do BEFORE budget cuts hit you. This and the very cheap cosplay looking Geralt haven't filled me with faith. While yes, the original Witcher stories saw a clean shaven Geralt, I do wish they went with some form of beard/stubble, and more dirty looking hair.

I dunno, I want this to be good, and Netflix don't usually let me down. But I'm so far sadly not feeling it.

Papa

Banned
I dunno guys, I kinda agree with BANGS BANGS . I’m yet to see a Netflix original worth a damn. Will still watch the Witcher because I love the games and especially the books but I’m not holding my breath.

BANGS

Banned
You're not really criticizing anything as much as you are dogpiling a driveby post that didn't have anything constructive critique of Netflix either. You are not explaining anything, nor giving suggestions for what is better. Pegasus probably was alluding to posters having general overly pessimistic driveby posts. Like dismissing the platforms accomplishments and good shows it has on. At no point did you "criticize anything".

Secondly, I'd say that most posts I have seen from you are in similar low-effort tone. Pretty generalized, vague and not really of substance.
You actually expect me to write up an essay explaining my feelings in full detail instead of just saying it sucks? How entitled of you, apparently nobody can dislike something you like without being fully prepared to debate each point of it's quality or lack thereof...

But let's be real, this is the REAL problem you're complaining about... VVV

Plenty of Netflix shows have been praised by critics.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that everyone feels the same.
Just because we say it sucks doesn't mean you have to think it sucks or that we think everyone should think it sucks. We're just saying we think it sucks. It's not a big deal, you're still allowed to like it. These ridiculous replies we're getting which only kinda ruin the topic as a whole are just the product of your yearning for validation or something... just let it go...

You actually expect me to write up an essay explaining my feelings in full detail instead of just saying it sucks? How entitled of you, apparently nobody can dislike something you like without being fully prepared to debate each point of it's quality or lack thereof...

But let's be real, this is the REAL problem you're complaining about... VVV

An essay? Nah. People make posts with constructive criticism in a few paragraphs all the time. I am merely pointing out that your critique didn't really offer much in the value of debate.

Top Bottom