• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Watch_Dogs review based most likely on multiplayer beta now available

One huge caveat/punishment Ubisoft implemented is when you do turn off the Online Option, all your skills accumulated are reset to zero. You read that right. They all get reset to zero. All the online-specific skills reset to zero as punishment for not wanting to play online, something which is entirely disappointing. Either you keep getting invaded, or you get punished for wanting to play sometimes and not other times with the online mode.
Wow Ubisoft.. Just wow

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No, It's not. If that's true why bother having a 10 point scale at all then. Just have 1 or 10. There can be no in between!

People have been saying that for years. In practice, the real scale is 7-10, unless something is just an abject piece of shit, in which case it gets a 6.5.

It is stupid.

Cyriades

One huge caveat/punishment Ubisoft implemented is when you do turn off the Online Option, all your skills accumulated are reset to zero. You read that right. They all get reset to zero. All the online-specific skills reset to zero as punishment for not wanting to play online, something which is entirely disappointing. Either you keep getting invaded, or you get punished for wanting to play sometimes and not other times with the online mode.

403320987.jpg

malcher

I think I will cancel my pre-order if true. I will not support this shit.
Although maybe, just maybe, these skills are useless offline, because they work solely against other players, like faster intrusion detection, better camouflage against hosts etc.

Seik

Banned

Oh.

Oooh...

Wow.

One mediocre review doesnt make it a mediocre game. That MP stuff is crap but there may be other reviews that praise the game and give it a higher score. Some of the best reviewed games out there get some 6s and 7s.

Daemul

People lose their minds over open world games.

The open world obsession is something I will never understand, so many of them are empty and utterly dull to explore, not to mention filled with absolute fluff in an attempt to artificially lengthen the game.

DarkFlow

Banned
There is when you've spent as much money on a game as Ubisoft have on Watch Dogs.

Ubi knows people will buy it. They put out average AC every year, and it get's lapped up. The review even says the Single player is good and it's getting dinged for online. That seems better then average to me at least since I could not give a fuck about online.

prudislav

well dont care about online aspects so it sounds good for me as SP experince, we will see
also that review is quite poorly written

Well, that's one title I can scratch off my list.

Nokterian

1389625595940.jpg

I tweeted Jon........hopefully we get an answer on this soon about the switching between online and offline modes.........this is terrible

red731

One huge caveat/punishment Ubisoft implemented is when you do turn off the Online Option, all your skills accumulated are reset to zero. You read that right. They all get reset to zero. All the online-specific skills reset to zero as punishment for not wanting to play online, something which is entirely disappointing. Either you keep getting invaded, or you get punished for wanting to play sometimes and not other times with the online mode

stringergif.gif

I can't.

hohoXD123

I think I will cancel my pre-order if true. I will not support this shit.
Although maybe, just maybe, these skills are useless offline, because they work solely against other players, like faster intrusion detection, better camouflage against hosts etc.
You'd think such an important would be mentioned though. Guess we'll see what other reviews say. Is the embargo on release day?

I expected this but at the same time the review seems like click bait to me, I'll wait until more of the same come flooding in before I lose all hope.

Is anyone watching the video? He spends the whole time talking about daylight graphics and trying to blow up a gas station which is clearly already destroyed. This can't be a legit review.

The "lose your online stats if you turn off multiplayer" also makes it sound like the beta because that would be a huge oversight in the final game.

BigDug13

No, It's not. If that's true why bother having a 10 point scale at all then. Just have 1 or 10. There can be no in between!

It's been generally accepted that the 100 point grading scale of school is how people think of the 10 point scale of video game reviews (school percentage grades divided by 10). 90+ = A, 80-89=B, 70-79=C or average effort, 60-69=D, 59 and below = F.

If you're ok with paying $60 plus DLC for C games, it's fine. Others wait until C scored games get discounted or simply avoid it. And that's fine too. Some people have limited gaming time and only want to fill their limited gaming time with games that are A or B quality.

Sometimes it's also best to wait for user reviews in the OP of the game on this forum or other places and not simply rely on industry reviews to form your opinion.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I see people are paying more attention to the score than the content of the review again. "Single player shines". "Beautiful single player". But lets just ignore that and call the game shit because it got a 7. Sigh.

With that said the online stat resetting thing sounds really shitty. Maybe it's something that will get patched?

DukeBobby

It sounds like he just played the beta. No substance at all in that review.

Regarding the online issue, I hope that's not in the full game.

Proponent

Banned
Ubi knows people will buy it. They put out average AC every year, and it get's lapped up. The review even says the Single player is great and it's getting dinged for online. That seems better then average to me at least since I could not give a fuck about online.

What I get from it is: the sp story is fair, plays average and looks like shit.

Mp sucks.

What in the actual fuck? Even Demon's/Dark souls doesn't punish you for not playing online.

hohoXD123

Ubi knows people will buy it. They put out average AC every year, and it get's lapped up. The review even says the Single player is good and it's getting dinged for online. That seems better then average to me at least since I could not give a fuck about online.
AC is a very well known franchise. This is a new IP, completely different, there's no guarantee that this will meet their expectations.

GolazoDan

Is there more to the text part of the review? There's like nothing in there that explains the good or bad aspects of the single player. I know a lot of reviewers have this habit where you open with basically preview coverage, "you play as this man. This is the plot, and these are the things you can do" before throwing a small opinion in at the end. Single player "shines" - why. Tell me more.

iMax

So a 7 is a bad score now?

On the scale everyone except EDGE uses, yup.

I have no idea what that online thing is about but it sounds sucky. This game has been a tragic disappointment since it got announced. Should've been cancelled and rebooted a long time ago.

Top Bottom