• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First world conveniences you'd have a really hard time losing?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Developing countries also have this Music you speak of, it is quite popular across the globe. from what I gather.
Is it free on Youtube available to stream for however long you want every day?

CHC

Air purifiers. Without them, my allergies are a nightmare

Dude, yes. Air quality is totally taken for granted in Europe / US / Canada.

Spent some time in Hanoi and Kathmandu, and in both cases hoooooly shit. Two or three days walking the streets and I legit felt like I smoked several packs of cigarettes. Like, actual burning throat and sinuses, grey snot, the works. Lovely cities but that aspect is in no way quaint or charming whatsoever.

Developing countries also have this Music you speak of, it is quite popular across the globe. from what I gather.

lol

Seriously, third world =/= stone age here.....

Parablank

Been in Hong Kong the last month (90f+ and 90% humidity) and honestly don't know how people lived here before ac

A few minutes in the summer heat and I'm soaked

Cars

Imagine having to fucking walk or use a horse to get to work? As someone who drives 30 minutes one way to work and 45 minutes the opposite direction for school I'd go insane.

norinrad

The dryer. Wash my shirts, throw it in the dryer and sit in my PJ's or underwear just waiting for my shirts to dry while I play videogames. Hahaha

EOS-HDC

Electricity is the one commodity that makes almost every other one work, so... I love you electricity!!!

Also sanitary sewer system... yeah. Just imagine living in a city without it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Electricity.
We had a power cut recently and I realised just how much of my entertainment is reliant on my phone and the Internet.

All of my music, books, games, films etc.

Without electricity life as I know it would cease to exist and yet there are many people in the world living without a stable electric supply.

lolantana

Neophyte
Clean drinking water where ever I am, for almost "nothing" at home / work etc or for very small price in the bottle from the supermarket.
I guess you can take a bottle to go with you then you can save lots of money for buying expensive bottle water. When your bottle is dirty you can take the adjustable bottle brush to clean it. If your bottle is carried with a strew, the the strew brush is necessary. Take those with adjustable sponges and strew brush like baby bottle brush is your best choice.

pramod

Banned
I am going to cheat a bit. I can actually live without water, air conditioning, and internet at home....as long as i can go to...the one place i cant live without...McDonald's.

Not exactly first world, but cotton swabs and fingernail clippers. If I got stranded on an island without them, I might take a swim with the sharks.

Atrus

Gold Member
A nice hot shower. No matter where you go, how rough it is, it is always nice to come back and enjoy a nice hot shower to take everything away. It refreshes your body and soul after every arduous trek.

Dark Star

YouTube /iTunes - music and music accessories like amps, speakers, subs - really can't live without my music, id go insane.

I'll admit I'm also pretty addictedthe internet / forums / social media as well. Especially when I have a smartphone.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Well, I live in a third world country and i have all of this and i'm not even well-off or medium class. I'm a teacher. For sure, places in Africa or interior regions of south america may be like that, but living in any capital city or main city is alike having this kind of services.

Prices might not be as fair as in a 1st world country, but...

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Definitely electricity. Lost my power for two days/nights recently due to a snowstorm here in Atlanta, was awful.

mrkgoo

how... what do they do then?
Probably just have to bring your own. One reason would be that maybe people would just take any freely provided TP, and another would be that often plumbing for those places might not handle excessive TP, and not providing any is a way to minimise that issue.

Top Bottom