• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fishing Resort new trailer [Wii/XSEED/Prope] - open-world fishing

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is that trailer completely fabricated (for fun I imagine, though people not aware of the game might consider it misleading too I guess) by wearing wacky costumes and making up the quests or is the game actually presented as an RPG in that way? I was under the impression it's just a fishing sandbox type thing, with of course more common or more rare fish to, uh, fish... Also, EU release? I think I really want this since SS doesn't have fishing...

Lyonaz

Just watched that Gamespot Daily Demo video and my god Jessica Chavez is pretty.

Maybe I need to import this game, softmodding the wii for region free gaming is easy right?

Zebra

Wow, why do I want this game so much?

Maybe because it looks very relaxing. I'm glad to see that it's only $20.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Man, this is the kind of game I always wanted to play - open-world + fishing + motion controls + wii. I'd be keeping a eye out for impressions.

Clipper

Hey, would anyone who bought the US version of the game please let us know if there's a Club Nintendo code included? The 3rd party 3DS titles released on the same day have CN codes and we want to know whether Wii games are getting the treatment too.

Is that trailer completely fabricated (for fun I imagine, though people not aware of the game might consider it misleading too I guess) by wearing wacky costumes and making up the quests or is the game actually presented as an RPG in that way? I was under the impression it's just a fishing sandbox type thing, with of course more common or more rare fish to, uh, fish... Also, EU release? I think I really want this since SS doesn't have fishing...

The trailer is a bit of a gag, but the costumes are real as are the 'quests' (characters in the game ask you to catch/do all manner of things for them) and the King of Herrings is most GLORIOUS. But, you are also right in that it's somewhat of a sandbox, free-roaming type thing. What it is, is essentially a game that you play at your own pace. You can clean up all the quests, fill your aquarium and buy that sweet cruiser...or you can leisurely fish at the beach/jungle/lake/frozen tundra all day. :)

Lyonaz said:
nice stuff

I appreciate that considering that every time I go up to SF for these I feel like a zombie. (early morning flights...) ;_;

Zebra said:
Wow, why do I want this game so much?

Maybe because it looks very relaxing. I'm glad to see that it's only $20.

You want it because it is beautiful and will fulfill your desires of a relaxing (yet it strokes that OCD collectors itch too) virtual vacation AND it's mad cheap. ^_^ We try hard to be affordable.

Lafiel said:
Man, this is the kind of game I always wanted to play - open-world + fishing + motion controls + wii. I'd be keeping a eye out for impressions.

I've played 100+ hours of it and I'd recommend it, but again I'm biased. ^_- Nintendo Life(<--link) gave some first impressions a bit ago, but I imagine you want to hear actual buyer impressions.

Gunloc said:
Does anyone know if this is motion controls only?

The motion controls are only for when you cast/reel in. They're not over done or invasive. I think Prope did a nice job implementing them where they'd logically be. If you saw the Daily Demo, I mimicked how you'd actually cast and then made a simple reeling motion, but that's about it. The rest you can use the analog stick for (walking/driving the boat/selecting items, etc)

Zekes! said:
$20? Wow, I might have to check this out. I love you guys.

Hurray! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. :)

AFAIK, yeah.

The motion controls are only for when you cast/reel in. They're not over done or invasive. I think Prope did a nice job implementing them where they'd logically be. If you saw the Daily Demo, I mimicked how you'd actually cast and then made a simple reeling motion, but that's about it. The rest you can use the analog stick for (walking/driving the boat/selecting items, etc)
Thanks.

Lyonaz

Just ordered the Fishing Resort bundle online, now only to softmod my Wii and all is set.

Totally gonna run around as Monkey D. Luffy and catch whales, I predict GOTY material right there.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
GAF impressions, where art thou?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Have it.

Love it.

Verdict: Get it.

Thanks for your reply, but I am rather looking for impressions like that.

:p

I know not everyone is crazy enough to write reviews about such small games on the forum, but I'd prefer some more in depth impressions.

Yeah, I know. I'm no fun.

Ah! I forgot to post this yesterday. We have a final trailer giving a tour of the island and showing off that creepily realistic fish-wiggle movement you see when you catch one. O_O

Penangkapan Tourism Bureau Trailer

@ Lyonaz : Thank you! And, did you get the Luffy idea from our GTA trailer or are you just a huge One Piece fan? I might play as a Sanji character myself.

@ Plinko : Have you caught a gar in the jungle yet? :D

@ piratepwnsninja : Many thanks! Prepare to sink an inordinate amount of time into this one.

K444WSR

@H.Protagonist - Is this going to be released in the UK with the fishing rod attachmeny? I've tried looking on amazon and Game but can't find anything.

@H.Protagonist - Is this going to be released in the UK with the fishing rod attachmeny? I've tried looking on amazon and Game but can't find anything.

Sorry to say that I don't know. :/ We only have the NA rights, so it's up to Namco on what they want to do with PAL.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ah! I forgot to post this yesterday. We have a final trailer giving a tour of the island and showing off that creepily realistic fish-wiggle movement you see when you catch one. O_O

@ Lyonaz : Thank you! And, did you get the Luffy idea from our GTA trailer or are you just a huge One Piece fan? I might play as a Sanji character myself.

@ Plinko : Have you caught a gar in the jungle yet? :D

@ piratepwnsninja : Many thanks! Prepare to sink an inordinate amount of time into this one.

No, not yet!

FreeMufasa

The ocean truly is magnificent (looking at those pics). I'm really interested in this but I probably won't start it untill I get through Endless Ocean series.

OT but does anyone know what happened to that awesome Prope game? It was called something like Rodea of the Sky.

I am left handed. Can the attachment be inverted? So I can reel with the my right hand?

There's a neat little trick you can do by taking off the joint cover (just spin it off) and taking out a small screw on the inside. Then you can flip the whole thing over, replace the cap (it'll fit on the other side) and voila! Funny thing is, I reel with my right hand even though I'm (mostly) right-handed because I want more precision on the reeling aspect. Maybe it's just me, though.

Looks like i'll have to import. Thanks for the info H.Protagonist.

Np.

No, not yet!

Get your butt to that jungle and equip the strongest rod you can buy! The gar is waiting... O_O

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thanks for your reply, but I am rather looking for impressions like that.

:p

I know not everyone is crazy enough to write reviews about such small games on the forum, but I'd prefer some more in depth impressions.

Yeah, I know. I'm no fun.

LOL...sorry!

The first thing I have to mention about the game is that it is so relaxing. Usually with games there are certain things I feel I NEED to do within a certain amount of time. That isn't the case here--it's a refreshing change of pace. You wake up in the morning, go down to the lobby and check the board for any individual challenges or special excursions, and then make your decision: Excursion? Fish at the beach? Just drive around on your bicycle exploring? Talk to other villagers and get challenges? It's all your choice. It's fantastic. The closest thing to a "rushed feeling" here would be a timed fishing challenge against another resort-goer, but those have a relaxed feeling as well. All that said, there is still a feeling of accomplishment to your actions. You're not fishing for no reason--you can get points (which you can use to purchase other items) and there is an achievement system as well.

The game is similar to Go Vacation in the sense that it is taking place over a large area, has many different locales, many different methods of transportation, and many different things to do. It is just more focused around one activity--fishing. Go Vacation feels like a huge collection of shallower games. This feels like the same style of game but a deeper experience because of the focus. There is a large amount of lures, rods, bait, reels, and, of course, species of fish. The one major difference I see here: The controls are WAY better here than in Go Vacation when traveling.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this game. Also, at only $20? It's a steal. I can see myself playing this game daily for months.

Lyonaz

Used to watch One Piece anime, but recently started reading the manga. Seeing it in that trailer made me smile.

Also like the fact that the island seems to be a Malaysian/Indonesian island according to the names of the areas.
So I can pretend I'm back home again! :p

There's a neat little trick you can do by taking off the joint cover (just spin it off) and taking out a small screw on the inside. Then you can flip the whole thing over, replace the cap (it'll fit on the other side) and voila! Funny thing is, I reel with my right hand even though I'm (mostly) right-handed because I want more precision on the reeling aspect. Maybe it's just me, though.
Ah, nice. Sounds like what you can do with a real reel.

anyways: I want this game in Europe...Now! :( Modding the wii is no option though.

Yuterald

I will be picking this up tomorrow night during GameStop's black friday sales. I forgot to pre-order it though so I hope my store got some copies. Sorry XSEED!

Clipper

Sorry to repeat this, but if anybody who already has the game could state whether there was a Club Nintendo code in the case or not, that'd be really helpful.

I will be picking this up tomorrow night during GameStop's black friday sales. I forgot to pre-order it though so I hope my store got some copies. Sorry XSEED!

That's all right. Much appreciation for the pick-up! Chances are, though, without a pre-order your store may not have any at all... ;_; I'd call first just to make sure you're not making the trip for nothing.

@ Caesar III : It's a pretty solid piece of equipment for a peripheral. They designed it specifically for Fishing Resort, and so we just had to offer a package with it. ;)

Plinko

Sorry to repeat this, but if anybody who already has the game could state whether there was a Club Nintendo code in the case or not, that'd be really helpful.

There was not one in mine.

Machine

My copy come in today from Amazon. Hopefully I will find some time this weekend to open the box and play.

Clipper

There was not one in mine.
Thanks.

I don't...believe so? I'll check with the guys after lunch, but I've never heard of it before.
OK, seems certain then. Sonic Generations 3DS and WWE All-Stars 3DS, both released on the 22nd, were the first third party games to ever get these codes in the US, so we needed to find out about the other games that released the same day, with Fishing Resort being one of the most prominent.

Now we just need to see if all 3DS third party games are going to have the codes in future or whether it's selective by publisher.

Yes Boss!

That new trailer sold me. Just ordered the bundle from amazon with delivery for friday...should be fishing on the weekend!

adroit

I don't have a Motion Plus (M+) remote. Does the game work without M+? Does it work noticeably better with M+?

If M+ is recommended, should I get the little M+ dongle that attaches to the end of an old remote or should I "splurge" and get a whole new M+ remote? Given that the Wii U will support the Wii remote, I'm leaning towards getting a whole new M+ remote since I'll be using it for years to come (rather than just until the Wii's end of life).

Thanks!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Mine for $9.99 (Amazon credit). Sounds fun and something I can play with my kids. Are...are..there sharkses?

Lyonaz

I don't have a Motion Plus (M+) remote. Does the game work without M+? Does it work noticeably better with M+?

If M+ is recommended, should I get the little M+ dongle that attaches to the end of an old remote or should I "splurge" and get a whole new M+ remote? Given that the Wii U will support the Wii remote, I'm leaning towards getting a whole new M+ remote since I'll be using it for years to come (rather than just until the Wii's end of life).

Thanks!

Get the Zelda Skyward Sword Limited Edition bundle!

That new trailer sold me. Just ordered the bundle from amazon with delivery for friday...should be fishing on the weekend!

Score! I wish you much luck in landing the fabled Flapjack Octopus...

bZbmX.jpg

Thanks!

I'm checking with the guys, and I'm pretty sure you can play just fine without the M+, but that the M+ does compliment the game quite a bit. If you plan on getting a Wii U anyway, it might be a fine investment for your future games (as well as Fishing Resort).

Mine for $9.99 (Amazon credit). Sounds fun and something I can play with my kids. Are...are..there sharkses?

You mean... Like... THIS?!

361990400.jpg
:D

J/k. There are sharks in the game (Great White, Hammerhead, Whale Shark, Japanese Bullhead Shark, etc), but they won't scare your kids. They're detailed, but not toothy goblins with dripping fangs.

There are some sharks in the aquarium and one npc mentioned them, so I would assume you can catch them as well. Not too far into it yet.

Anyway, this game is fantastic. I would tell anyone on the fence to buy it immediately. Only 1 gamestop in my area had it available and it was a bit of a drive, but it was worth it. Can't beat the price either, and it seems the rod is good quality for what it is. Only problem I'm having is wanting to control my character with my left hand but preferring to reel with my right. Slowly getting more comfortable reeling with my left hand and I'm sure it won't be much of a problem soon.

I love all the options in terms of rods, reels, bait, etc. I'm also a sucker for customization so I'm really enjoying all the clothing available to purchase. Seems like I've barely scratched the surface so far and I hope it has a lot to offer. Went in to this somewhat blind so it's nice to see everything there is to do. I wish more people were into this so there would be more discussion.

Top Bottom