• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

if you wanna feel some next level burn in your shoulder/behind neck area, these are some real shit with one dumbell if you have some kind of rail to hold on to with your other hand

if you have 2 dumbells the other dumbell works very nicely as a counter weight

_h400_w284_m1_bwhite.jpg

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
if you wanna feel some next level burn in your shoulder/behind neck area, these are some real shit with one dumbell if you have some kind of rail to hold on to with your other hand

_h400_w284_m1_bwhite.jpg
Do em without holding on to a rail. It'll work the opposite side's obliques and other stabilizer muscles. It's why 1h farmers walks are such a good workout.

teezzy

Banned
TrainingIncreasedTestosteroneAlphaWolf600.jpg

Hmmm? What's the science behind this here?

Was watching a Rogan clip and he started talking about how squats and deadlifts can increase your T.

Is this endorphin related? I feel ignorant again

teezzy

Banned

_h400_w284_m1_bwhite.jpg

I've got two 8 pounders, a 35 lb (i think?) big dumbbell, a 30 lb kettlebell and an iron gym

I could always utilize the kettlebell as a counterweight.

EDIT:
Lmao. Okay I am way too weak to do that with my big boy. Time to switch to the 8 pounders. Get them reps in.

Last edited:
I've got two 8 pounders, a 35 lb (i think?) big dumbbell, a 30 lb kettlebell and an iron gym

I could always utilize the kettlebell as a counterweight.

EDIT: Lmao. Okay I am way too weak to do that with my big boy. Time to switch to the 8 pounders. Get them reps in.
35 lb dumbell is heavy as shit

20 lbs is perfect

with 8 lbs you can do both arms at the same time, more reps and lots of sets will be great

teezzy

Banned
35 lb dumbell is heavy as shit

20 lbs is perfect

with 8 lbs you can do both arms at the same time, more reps and lots of sets will be great

My guess was off. It's a dumbbell bar with an 8.8 and 4.4 on each side. That's what I've been doing my curls with. Altogether that's 26.4 + the bar... idk like just under 30 altogether?

Still yeah I'll double up with the 8 pounders. Thanks dude

Cutty Flam

Banned
25th hour in, trying to fast at least 36 hrs. Ideally 48 but I’ll play it by ear

Pinch of himalayan pink salt and water, then did it again with more pink salt and some ACV tbsp diluted in water

Tesseract Tesseract , thanks for doing that fast you did bro. I was thinking that’s likely exactly what I could use. Revive and reset the system

Cold showers are a game changer too. There’s something about it, the first 30-45 seconds are a small challenge but after that, and you control your breathing, it’s easy. I feel the benefits in mood and circulation and calmness every time. Going to continue this

Nester99

Have not been to my gym in months.
had a baby two weeks ago so have not slept
Got a stress fracture in my foot from I guess walking my dog to much (wtf)

gaining weight feeling shitty overall.

perscribed myself the 100 diet.
100 push-ups
100 sit ups
100 side crunch x
100 squats

then stretch.

it’s not much but it’s time to get back on this train.

feeling much better now !

TrainingIncreasedTestosteroneAlphaWolf600.jpg

Hmmm? What's the science behind this here?

Was watching a Rogan clip and he started talking about how squats and deadlifts can increase your T.

Is this endorphin related? I feel ignorant again

Dont know the science, but I always though of squats as a full body complete exercise. So important for that reason.

Bro science. Put a bar with a shit load of weight on it on your shoulders. Testosterone levels are like holy fuck, shits about to get real. No one should be doing this. And that's why you should be doing it.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm dying trying to get in 100g.

Also wtf is Tesseract Tesseract senpai doing to himself?
Meat meat meat meat meat meat kefir eggs. I don't use powders/supplements. Kefir is as far as I will go.

A tin of sardines is ~20g of protein. 2c of milk kefir is 16g. Ten eggs is 60g. A roast, angus steak, or a pair of tuna steaks is another ~40-60g. Some ham thrown in with the eggs is another 15g. etc etc

I dunno what Tesseract is doing but he knows what he's doing. The body is the laboratory.

O-N-E

Meat meat meat meat meat meat kefir eggs. I don't use powders/supplements. Kefir is as far as I will go.

A tin of sardines is ~20g of protein. 2c of milk kefir is 16g. Ten eggs is 60g. A roast, angus steak, or a pair of tuna steaks is another ~40-60g. Some ham thrown in with the eggs is another 15g. etc etc

I dunno what Tesseract is doing but he knows what he's doing. The body is the laboratory.

How TF can I consume 10 eggs? I mean I can't.

Also

sxoVR8S.png

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How TF can I consume 10 eggs? I mean I can't.

Also

sxoVR8S.png
lol dietary cholesterol is excellent for you, especially your brain.

10 eggs is nothing but I can understand if you don't like eggs. Hmm maybe beef jerky? That's also very compact protein. I think a pound of jerky is over 100g of protein, but that's a lot of salt. Again, not a big deal if you drink water but some people are sensitive. High protein is very hard to get through food. It makes you realize just how padded out the typical diet is.

O-N-E

This is the basic breakdown for my attempt for at least 100g (though I'm not picky about changing it up when I feel like it)

• Cereal + milk - 17g
  • 75g peanut butter - 15g
  • 200g chicken breast - 46g
  • 100g cooked chickpeas - 9g
  • Fruit Juice Protein smoothie - 24g
111g in total, but protein absorption is likely quite a bit less. Another thing with OMAD is proteins consumed as liquids have a shorter span of time for protein absorption, even though they're absorbed at a higher rate.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Checking in:

Hit rock bottom. Fucked up my tricep tendon somehow during my workout session yesterday. Hamstring I’m getting PT for, but it’s going to be a few months before I can get back to safely running we discussed. Goal is still to sprint again for first time since 2016

Going back to the injured tricep tendon / area (pretty sure it’s tendon) I wanted to point out some things so others can maybe avoid this type of mistake(s) for themselves and others in the future

Mistake # 1 - Definitely not getting a proper warm up. Cannot because walk is not enough for me to get body temp up and the hamstring is greatly limiting intensity. Would be fine if gyms were available and safe to train at but that’s not a reality here just yet. But I think warming up with dynamic movements alone is not enough. I’m almost convinced that if you aren’t sweating and moving and out of breath, you’re prone to fucking up some area of your body. Just very risky stuff. I think somebody should write a book strictly about warming up properly. The best way you can. And have routines for injured persons, people with certain diseases and disabilities and the like. That would be a best seller. Everyone should exercise

Mistake # 2 - Too many sets of OHP. I usually do a lot, maybe 3-4 warm up sets of 35 reps with a resistance band. Then two warm up sets with light weight. Then go into 12-15 rep range for 4 working sets. I think even though I adapted, that this style is probably not good to do long term. Going forward. I think I’ll start throwing in more strength training with the OHP and limit the volume / bodybuilding mass routine and rep scheme. I’ll play with more rep and set schemes and not get too addicted to pumping out massive amounts of reps. Even my warmup sets were a bit excessive, probably way too much repetitive motion now that I’m thinking into this

Mistake # 3 - I was locking out on OHP when I knew my left arm was somewhat limited still with its full ROM. I usually give some leeway to the joints because I injured that left arm doing pullups months back. But yesterday I decided to lock out, even though my arm was not even used to such stimuli in training. Did that on a lot of sets so maybe that is what got it injured? I have several guesses as I still am not sure

Mistake # 4 - I did a new exercise that was awkward as fucking fuck. DB rows on 30 degree bench incline and it felt so wrong and awkward. My shoulders were rolled a bit from bad posture (another huge factor that may have fucked me) so yeah. I should have stopped this exercise and just did band rows. So much smoother. It’s on your feet so more athletic, more muscles used, better exercise overall but I wanted to work with weights again since I injured the hs doing bent over rows for extended periods of time in a half squat position. Was a big mistake. The exercise felt fucked from the start. Had to brace with an extreme arch in back and then brace myself accordingly to the bench by tightening my core, idk why the fuck I was so dumb and decided to go with this exercise. Looking back, there was no point. No advantage. Rows with bands are just as good

Mistake # 5 - Bad posture from poor sitting habits. I already did one PT session that I looked up on Athlean-X youtube channel to fix this issue today. Going to continue with it until posture is picture perfect. I don’t care how fucking tedious and boring it is. I’ll never lose sight of posture goals again. Not if tricep injury is a possible outcome. Never going to make this mistake again fuck that

Mistake # 6 - Doing pushups despite being very shaky (obviously weak and not feeling it) but I persevered past shakiness and decided to do them despite the weakness aspect right in front of my face. I hadn’t done them in weeks, and lowered my number down a bit, but still, right from the start I was shaky. Should have just called it a day and did some tmrw. But who knows, maybe my tricep was already injured at that point and that’s why I was shaking? Not sure

Mistake # 7 - Eating ice cream. Lmao. What a pussy I am. This is the one that pisses me off the most. I can go for months without sweets no problem. But sometimes I’ll have a taste of something, anything (this time it was cinnamon rolls a week or two back) and then it’s a slippery slope downhill from there. Ate too much ice cream and on-top of that, had little to no vitamin c in diet for days straight I’d say. It’s no wonder I felt weak. I was weak. Wasn’t suppling tissues their needs through sound dietary choices. In fact, the sugar was breaking down my already broken down tissue from training I am sure. Lose-lose with the ‘treat’ of ice cream. Now I’m treating injuries lmao. What a disgrace I am sometimes...I’m seriously trying to understand why I even have these relapses? When my roommates bring it into the environment and allow me free access to as much as I’d like it’s dangerous. I’ll have to have keto alternatives for emergency ready in such cases in the future. Then I wont even need sugar. Sound plan imo

Sorry for the long post. But it had to be done. I have to learn from these mistakes and document them. And I hope at least one person can benefit as well, that would make this all worth writing and reliving such a miserable failure. Only thing I have is that I tried, and got to my feet immediately after such a huge disappointment. Injuries are nothing to me now. I’m like 97% numb to the entire process after literally hundreds of them. It’s more or less something expected from me at this point. Just goes to show how grueling the lifestyle can be. Being intelligent about every aspect of your training is do or die type shit for real. You make a mistake that’s injury and cellular death at the site. But I’ve accepted it, planned for it’s recovery and will be working hard to heal. Can’t quite how disappointed I am in myself though. Is it the nerve disease that plays part in this? To some degree, but minimally? Who can say for sure, the only thing I know is that I am fucking up and things need to be altered. I’d rather get pistol whipped and have half my nose gashed off if it meant I never ate another sweet again. Fuck, I’d practically take a bullet if it meant never being tempted by another sweet / dessert again

Calling it a night. I’m a fucking pussy. Going to stay on the grind and keep doing these soft ass therapy workouts my dumbass has relegated to; all by my own doing as well. Rock bottom, ladies and gentlemen, don’t end up here at any cost

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This thread pushes me to improve, no lie. I learned a lot in the past few months thanks to everyone and their contributions. Sorry to hear about your injury Cutty Flam Cutty Flam . You'll be back to where you were in no time, just play it smart like you already pointed out. Building up to sprinting seems like a valid goal. I've been doing work on my ankles for that very purpose. I wanna run, but I also don't wanna snap something lol

I added a 60lb/27kg and 80lb/36kg kettlebell to my lonely 35lb/16kg, and these will last me for quite a while if not forever. FINALLY! The rice bucket (more below) fills a gap I didn't know I had, and with some new resistance bands that arrived on Wednesday I think my small kit of equipment is complete. I might tweak some tools here or there but it feels good to be "done"

Been doing the rice-bucket for several days now VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler

When I set it up, my wife said it looks like I'm groping my hand around like a perv. I told her she would know best and I laughed. 🤷‍♀️

5 gal bucket halfway full of rice. I wonder if other materials would have a different desirable effect, like using sand, marbles, or metal bearings instead of rice. The exercise seemed pointless at first until I got the hand in and start moving around. It still takes at least 10m before it feels like any serious work has been done. Like kneading a ton of bread. Grip strength on the rings and wrist stability in other exercises has gotten a bit better.

Definitely feels like some kind of shaolin-punching-bowls-of-sand manner of training. It's easy to pair with a laptop. Work the rice in one hand and work on finger dexterity/accuracy while typing w the other. It provides a whole hand/wrist exercise so I think I'll stick with it.

As an aside, the rice gently pumices my hand callouses and exfoliates my skin. 💆‍♀️💅

Tune contributions:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Slow motion
Mind is clearer today without the influx of emotions from focusing too much on failure
The opportunity is there to gain even when you're fighting multiple injuries
Two muscles? Two muscles is the excuse? I have 600, 700, 800+ muscles besides those two to work. That's the reality of the situation. Time to strengthen those without aggravating anything. That is the challenge now

Top Bottom